Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2021, 19:44   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Applied it and rubbed it like mad. Just try to feel it with your nail. If it isn't deep, this will remove (Hopefully Amazon India is selling a genuine product). Else wet sand it with 600 grit, then 1000 grit to finish up - is what my friend recommends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hmm. I have a shield or two or three that need this work. I wonder if i should. Did you apply it and then just polish the shield up?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 08:13   #3107
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
One question to all of you. The Caberg helmet you all picked up, is it the same size as your other helmets as well?

I read that flip up helmet should be one size bigger than the normal full face helmet one uses / fits. I tried the Caberg Duke II for the same size sometime back and found it to be a snug fit, similar to my MT helmet (both S size as my head measures 55). The only difference with it is, I'll be using a Sena headset and doesnt want the mic piece to foul due to lack of space near the chin.
Hi swiftnfurious, possibly true. I did not have a reference point as i started riding again after a gap of 10 years. The caberg was my first full-face helmet. I do find it a tight fit, but with the restrictions in place last year i have not really used it much, i am betting it will eventually be a bit more comfortable.
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 13:43   #3108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Yes - both my Caberg Tourmax and older Bell Qualifier are Size M....
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
The Caberg Tourmax that I picked is the same size as my other helmets, two of them are MT. I usually use a size L (59-60 cms) and this fits well. Helmets should be slightly snug against the..
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
Hi swiftnfurious, possibly true. I did not have a reference point as i started riding again after a gap of 10 years...
Thanks folks! I have placed an order for a Duke II model in Florescent green / black 2 days back. Am told it'll be shipped today and hopefully reach me in 5 days time. Since I had already checked the model in showroom and measured my head at 54-55 cm, stuck to the same S size as my MT. Waiting for it now impatiently. I have a long trip coming up and will revert with a review on it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th February 2021 at 13:44.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 15:10   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I have a long trip coming up and will revert with a review on it.
Good decision. Do make sure you break-in the helmet sufficiently before embarking on the long trip. If you find the helmet uncomfortable or unsuitable for whatsoever reason 200 kms into a long trip, the rest of the trip might get jeopardized.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 08:06   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Snagged a last piece of this beauty. AGV K3 Rossi Misano. I was not looking a buy a helmet but a co-rider in my group insisted that this is the most comfortable helmet, and urged me to try it. The sizing is ML and was bang-on for my 57.5 head measure. But procuring it was a challenge. Dainese on Lavelle Road was sold out, with no stocks on AGV coming in to the market but Orion tracked this last piece and made it available. The box packing looks really premium and has a 'side carrying groove'. Loving the entire design and philosophy behind the Rossi edition
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 08:52   #3111
Senior - BHPian

AGV packaging impressed the hell out of me. You hold it like a bowling ball, and the weight is not felt on the arms. Inside, there is a very detailed manual, bunch of stickers, bag, pinlock and a tiny vial of mineral oil. The insides hold the helmet securely. I've seen Shoei's plain vanilla packing in the past. The Japs keep it simple, while the Italians are show offs. Wonder how genuine LS2, ARAI, Schuberth, Caberg helmets are packed? Should be really interesting! The helmet itself is designed in such a way that I don't feel much weight on my head and neck. Of late, I'm watching a lot of Rossi's videos - on his helmets and gears. He is very enthusiastic and comes across as being very passionate.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8970.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_9013.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 7th February 2021 at 08:53.
Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 08:57   #3112
Distinguished - BHPian

Arais are packed in a box and then the helmet is inside a soft felt bag inside that box.

Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 14:42   #3113
BHPian

Guys, I'm facing a couple of issues with my 2 and a half year old MT Thunder 3 SV:

1. The internal sun visor has broken off at the part where the visor attaches itself to the actuator that makes the internal visor go up and down. I have jerry rigged it for now by sticking the visor to the actuator with Fevi-Quick, so that it doesn't drop unexpectedly, for example while riding at night or while going over pot holes.

2. The top vent cover broke off while I was riding and the absence of the cover has basically left a couple of holes on top of my helmet (see pic) Which ironically makes it sound like a real thunderstorm inside the lid above speeds of 20. It's a headache inducing experience to say the least.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20201019wa001101.jpeg

Looking to buy a new helmet with a budget of >10k. Usage is primarily city riding with longer rides thrown in on the weekends.

I'm also thinking of ripping off the internal SV on my Thunder 3 and seal the top holes too. This would make my old helmet usable for pillions at least, wouldn't it?

Please do let me know your recommendations.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 14:53   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Arais are packed in a box and then the helmet is inside a soft felt bag inside that box.
Same with (my) Bell, Caberg and the relatively lowly LS2!
Old 8th February 2021, 19:17   #3115
Senior - BHPian

MT spares are easily available at Spartan, Motonation or their website. Imported helmets are in short supply everywhere, as imports are stopped. Try LS2, (in Bangalore its around 10.50K)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Looking to buy a new helmet with a budget of >10k. Usage is primarily city riding with longer rides thrown in on the weekends.
Old 10th February 2021, 16:35   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Try LS2
Thanks for the advice Sebring!

I have shortlisted the following as of now:

1. Bell Qualifier
2. MT Revenge 2
3. Vemar Zephyr
4. LS2 FF800 Storm
5. Scorpion EXO 490

Will pick one after trying the helmets in store.
Hoping to get a "test ride" of the helmets, to check if it doesn't howl/whistle at speed!

Please do suggest any other options in case I have missed them!
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 16:57   #3117
Senior - BHPian

These are good ones. Try Caberg as well. I have a feeling that you'll finally select MT, though
Quote:
I have shortlisted the following as of now. Please do suggest any other options in case I have missed them!

Last edited by Sebring : 10th February 2021 at 17:22.
Old 10th February 2021, 19:56   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
Will pick one after trying the helmets in store.
Hoping to get a "test ride" of the helmets, to check if it doesn't howl/whistle at speed!
I believe test rides can only happen with a friend's lid, no store will allow you to ride out wearing one, that would make the helmet "used". Most online stores you buy from specifically ask you not to ride around, STG has videos ripping on customers who do and then return
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 20:09   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Really? Can you post that video? I'd see one where they teach customers to neatly put back things in original packaging, (before returning the item)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
STG has videos ripping on customers who do and then return
Old 10th February 2021, 20:34   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Really? Can you post that video? I'd see one where they teach customers to neatly put back things in original packaging, (before returning the item)
Here ya go:

Overall I think that's just good etiquette to only try gear indoors, even though it's true that riding with it is the only 100% guaranteed way of knowing that's the one. If we all could be trusted to do it, maybe we'd get free online gear returns in India too
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks