Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2020, 16:06   #3001
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This ceramic coating on the helmet. Does it affect the shell integrity in any way?
Honestly this thought did cross my mind. I searched the internet for any credible information and couldn't find any.

I emailed Arai Americas and they replied that Arai doesn't test their helmets with respect to the possible effect of ceramic coating to the shell and said I was free to do whatever I want.

Personally I think it wouldn't have any detrimental effect as the coating is applied over the clear coat of the helmet to protect it.

Does anyone else have any insight on the matter?
TheStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 16:36   #3002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Honestly this thought did cross my mind. I searched the internet for any credible information and couldn't find any.

I emailed Arai Americas and they replied that Arai doesn't test their helmets with respect to the possible effect of ceramic coating to the shell and said I was free to do whatever I want.

Personally I think it wouldn't have any detrimental effect as the coating is applied over the clear coat of the helmet to protect it.

So I did look it up as well about 2 years back, and I couldn’t find any credible information. So I didn’t go ahead, ofcourse all the ceramic guys said it won’t affect anything. But if the oils of your hair can have a detrimental effect from the inside of the helmet, I wondered what effect a man made chemical would have on the outside. My other reasoning was, the helmet was bought to protect, and I didn’t want to mess with it.

But that paint job on yours is just too sick to not protect
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 16:39   #3003
BHPian

Quote:
So I did look it up as well about 2 years back, and I couldn’t find any credible information. So I didn’t go ahead, ofcourse all the ceramic guys said it won’t affect anything. But if the oils of your hair can have a detrimental effect from the inside of the helmet, I wondered what effect a man made chemical would have on the outside. My other reasoning was, the helmet was bought to protect, and I didn’t want to mess with it.

But that paint job on yours is just too sick to not protect
Haha yes. As soon as I saw the paintwork in person I called up Bhpian Man of Steel to get the coating done
Old 19th November 2020, 17:01   #3004
BHPian

Quote:

I don't have proof but I think yes it does affect the shell. Also, helmets have an expiry date so there is no point keeping that helmet scratch less. I have made a similar mistake a keeping my EXPENSIVE MT revenge for weekend rides and using studds for city roundabouts. Search for "The PowerDrift Podcast on helmets" and that should clear all your doubts.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th November 2020 at 23:10. Reason: Fixed broken quotes
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 07:42   #3005
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Let me know what you think about it with some close up snaps, am in same boat as you are and now have my eyes on the leatt. I think it’s step up from the scorpion.
Thanks for pointing me to the Leatt. I did end up buying the 3.5 in Red White and Blue livery. I was tempted to go for the all black too but its matte and I am tired of owning dull matte black helmets and really wanted a bright glossy finish one for my adventure helmet.

So currently, my helmet line up comprises:

1. A Schuberth C4 Pro in matte white and black: This is my A helmet for most touring and long rides and equipped with my Sena 50S. While I could use it in the city too I will use my back up option helmets if I am using it on a short ride where caring for it is inconvenient.

2. Leatt 3.5: Relatively cheaper adventure helmet for rougher use, rides where an adventure helmet is more appropriate, monsoons, etc. Perhaps even for use around and about the city.

3. An old HJC IS 17 + Scorpion half face: These are just rough use old helmets for absolute rough use within the city for short rides or when I am taking my bike for my morning run etc when I’m sweaty on the way back (don’t want to spoil the inner liners / make them stinky from post run usage.)

Some pics below of my Schuberth, the red blue white Leatt I purchased along with awesomely matching (to the tee) goggles. Also attaching another color option for the Leatt 3.5 for @Redliner’s reference. I am so sorry I just forgot to click the black helmet but that is a really nice design as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-10672a08b0e244c0a39e0d86214d7748.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-8c4df27402954702bbfd337bde09b407.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-fff16d786d3b4a3993d5c3efa413d5ee.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-9829f49501fe4a669762a748f0a58178.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-7367298dbf7447aea5f53042cf6180b3.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-b563fdde652c47e4b5478c64487b0a76.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-0223a21bc49a4ac9bff4b3c6523e8603.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th November 2020 at 07:43.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 08:17   #3006
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for that report axe and congrats. I did have my eye on the blue orange, but that red blue white looks awesome. Both are glossy as well. Keep us posted on how they helmet feels on the road and trails.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:25   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
F
Have you checked out the Scott 350 lid at Team Driven?
Attachment 2081247

/surjaonwheelz
Quote:
I went to a store and tried the Scott on and felt it to be too bobble headed for my head. I don’t know how many shell sizes they run, and there are hardly any reviews online for their helmet. I decided to stay away. The inside also felt uncomfortable and scratchy. Just a personal thing.
I bought this exact same helmet online from the Scott India website. My mistake I bought it without trying.
While the build quality, fit and finish is good, with a paint scheme that matches my Africa Twin, the helmet is a tad bit narrow for my oval head. It does have good ventilation, with MIPS and other safety features, but something regards the fit does not feel right. I am now thinking of letting it go and getting a better fitting replacement.
The Leatt and the Scorpion off-road lids seem good.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 10:19   #3008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
How in the world were you able to spot the Diavel
Neil: That brushed golden brush finish on the tank was on the Diesel edition of the Diavel. Dead giveaway. But good spotting it I agree. The helmet bike combo must look smashing I’m sure.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 11:02   #3009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
I bought this exact same helmet online from the Scott India website. My mistake I bought it without trying.
While the build quality, fit and finish is good, with a paint scheme that matches my Africa Twin, the helmet is a tad bit narrow for my oval head. It does have good ventilation, with MIPS and other safety features, but something regards the fit does not feel right. I am now thinking of letting it go and getting a better fitting replacement.
The Leatt and the Scorpion off-road lids seem good.

Cheerio!
This is what I felt too. It just didn't feel right on the head. Thanks for confirming my opinion.

The leatt is brand new for this year. Gets my vote.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:38   #3010
Senior - BHPian

Looks great! Did you source it online, and did they arrange delivery? How much did you pay for it please? Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
I sourced it from Malaysia. The authorised Arai dealer had 2 pieces in stock.
Old 28th November 2020, 21:47   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Neil: That brushed golden brush finish on the tank was on the Diesel edition of the Diavel. Dead giveaway. But good spotting it I agree. The helmet bike combo must look smashing I’m sure.
Well the Diavel isn't my bike. I ride a humble Bonneville T120

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20201103022620853-ff-large.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Looks great! Did you source it online, and did they arrange delivery? How much did you pay for it please? Thanks in advance
Thanks Sebring!
I contacted the shop over phone. They agreed to hand deliver to a friend's home in Kuala Lumpur. My friend then shipped it through DHL to my home in Dubai. And finally another friend brought it with him when he came to Kerala.

Total damage approximately Rs. 80,000. This includes price of helmet, DHL shipping cost to Dubai, currency exchange charges, and a nominal import duty to clear Dubai customs.
TheStig is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 06:31   #3012
Senior - BHPian

https://www.indiatoday.in/auto/lates...922-2020-11-28

So from June 1st 2021, all Helmets in manufactured and sold in India must have the ISI mark. Which effectively means all Helmets imported with DOT, ECE or SNELL become illegal and liable for penalty.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 18:21   #3013
BHPian

Wanted some recommendations on a good helmet in the price range of 3500-4000.
Thinking about SMK as the top choice followed by Axxis, are there any other good brands in this range and with DOT and ECE certification ?
Old 1st December 2020, 14:23   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Wanted some recommendations on a good helmet in the price range of 3500-4000.
Thinking about SMK as the top choice followed by Axxis, are there any other good brands in this range and with DOT and ECE certification ?
Look for something with an ECE certification. DOT standard is old and does not test for chin protection nor visor protection, on top of that it is an honorary system and nearly 20% of helmets sold as complying to DOT standards, would actually fail to comply. ECE is the safest mass helmet certification standard and that is what you ought to look out for. If there is no ECE certification, then atleast go for a helmet that is around 1500 grams as it is unlikely that it can weigh less being made out of polycarbonate, and pass the ECE certification. Stay away from brands like SOL.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 14:33   #3015
BHPian

So after trying at various shops including agv and motonation, I finally bought myself a Fly Racing Revolt helmet. Agv did not have my size in stock for the model I liked,nor did I find my size in hjc or scorpion. Eventually bought the Snell rated Fly Racing helmet. It weighs in at 1640 grams and though it may feel heavy, it feels snug on the head and gives a sense of confidence while riding my R6.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20201121wa0023.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20201121wa0021.jpeg  

princezahed is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks