Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 12:31   #3151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I regret buying MT (Got the fab AGV K3 now). The quality is not good at all. Build standard, materials, wind noise are all compromised. Moreover, they say the helmets we get here in India - especially through some 'reputed' dealers (who I dont want to name) are fakes. MT has not authorised them. My friend has Axxor for his Ninja and he recommends it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
One of my friends is looking for a helmet in the range of 5-6K

Last edited by Sebring : 25th February 2021 at 12:35.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 12:52   #3152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I regret buying MT (Got the fab AGV K3 now). The quality is not good at all. Build standard, materials, wind noise are all compromised. Moreover, they say the helmets we get here in India - especially through some 'reputed' dealers (who I dont want to name) are fakes. MT has not authorised them. My friend has Axxor for his Ninja and he recommends it
Sebring, the thing about the MT helmets is that they provide great safety (including SHARP certification on some models), at virtually entry level prices for "good" helmets. To that extent, they can seem built to a price as you rightly pointed out, but if we look at it from the opposite lens, MT helmets have made very safe helmets affordable to biking enthusiasts in India.

The reason I mention this is because I also use an AGV K3 and have a Shark Race R Pro which costs 2x the MRP of the former. If I compare the two, the Shark has better build, better materials, a much better visor, great padding etc. The more we pay for these helmets, the better the quality. Just my 2 cents.

I am most intrigued by the second part of your post though. MT has one Indian importer, Spartan Pro Gear, and they have a well established and wide distribution network. From the time of their entry, MT has aggressively pushed for their growth in the Indian market as well in partnership with SPG. I havent heard of any news of MT helmets sold in India being fake, I will be very surprised if dealers will disrupt their existing supply chains with duplicate helmets. Let me try to find out more from my little birdies. Without naming names, can you share some more information that you have got?
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 13:08   #3153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am most intrigued by the second part of your post though. MT has one Indian importer, Spartan Pro Gear, and they have a well established and wide distribution network. From the time of their entry, MT has aggressively pushed for their growth in the Indian market as well in partnership with SPG. I havent heard of any news of MT helmets sold in India being fake, I will be very surprised if dealers will disrupt their existing supply chains with duplicate helmets. Let me try to find out more from my little birdies. Without naming names, can you share some more information that you have got?
The problem is not with fake MT helmets; but the quality issues. I've heard that SPG always dishonours warranty requests(with lame reasons).

Lots of my friends are very much satisfied with their pre-2020 helmets for their features and VFM. Don't have any experience with MT helmets in 2020.
  1. Are they(SPG) dumping low-quality MT helmets in India?
  2. Is this a problem with SPG or with the MT helmets as a whole?

Re-posting a video about SPG:

Last edited by mithun : 25th February 2021 at 13:11.
mithun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 14:06   #3154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is not with fake MT helmets; but the quality issues. I've heard that SPG always dishonours warranty requests(with lame reasons).

Lots of my friends are very much satisfied with their pre-2020 helmets for their features and VFM. Don't have any experience with MT helmets in 2020.
If you go back a few pages, you will see Shumi_21 faced the same issue that was described in the video that you shared. His helmet was 2 1/2 years old. Maybe these are one off cases and have nothing to do with the year of manufacture. As you mentioned, your friends are happy with their pre 2020 MT helmets.

Link (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet)

Quote:
Re-posting a video about SPG:
I had to skim through the video because of its excessive length but it looks as though the issue got eventually resolved from SPG. They should have done better in approving it at the beginning itself.

Also, the Vlogger claims to have spent Rs 50,000 to purchase riding gear from Spartan, but then records the video of him riding around with shorts and no gloves
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 14:48   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
One of my friends is looking for a helmet in the range of 5-6K.

He has shortlisted:

- MT Targo

- Axor Apex/Street

He had used MT helmets in the past and was satisfied with it. He is worried about the recent quality issues with MT helmets sold in India.

Lots of friends are pitching Axor over MT.

How is the overall quality of Axor vs MT?
I was in the market with same budget yesterday. Finalized Axor apex over MT, Axxis, LS2 and SMK. Other helmets like HJC and Shiro were not available.

I have owned SPG Kranos which was claimed to be made by MT helmets. Problems i faced during its ownership were:
1. High wind noise (even my old vega trojan was better)
2. Rusting of buckle within 6 months of ownership (my friend's kranos suffered from same problem as well)
3. Fragile breath deflector.
4. Strap broke last year when i was carrying it. This was shocking. I wondered what would've happened in an event of crash.

This experience made me stay away from MT this time. Axor was better built than SMK and came with double D ring strap.
hgps is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 15:31   #3156
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
I was in the market with same budget yesterday. Finalized Axor apex over MT, Axxis, LS2 and SMK. Other helmets like HJC and Shiro were not available.

I have owned SPG Kranos which was claimed to be made by MT helmets. Problems i faced during its ownership were:
1. High wind noise (even my old vega trojan was better)
2. Rusting of buckle within 6 months of ownership (my friend's kranos suffered from same problem as well)
3. Fragile breath deflector.
4. Strap broke last year when i was carrying it. This was shocking. I wondered what would've happened in an event of crash.

This experience made me stay away from MT this time. Axor was better built than SMK and came with double D ring strap.
  1. What's your initial impression?
  2. How is the wind noise?
  3. Is the build quality better than LS2 at that price range?
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:54   #3157

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

My suggestion to you would be to pick one between the Qualifier DLX and the Airoh Valor.

Do let us know what you end up buying.

TheDarkKnight.
Qualifier DLX was what i had in my mind once it came down to the unavailability of the said HJC/SCORPION models. Only feature which stands in the way of VALOR is Micrometric Fastener. I am somehow fixed on Double D Ring type.

Quote:
I have heard of good feedback on the Bell Qualifier range of helmets. The Qualifier series also comes with a DLX version that gets you the Multi-directional Impact Protection System (MIPS). The MIPS can help improve safety a lot but the price of the helmet on High Note Performance is close to Rs 20K, which might be above your budget.

Between the Airoh Valor and the Bell Qualifier (base / DLX), I would suggest the Airoh only for it's 5* SHARP rating as compared to the Bell's 3* SHARP rating. Surpisingly, the Qualifier DLX MIPS also only gets a 3* SHARP rating. Not everyone goes by the SHARP rating, but its a test that I find to be useful in my decision making when purchasing a helmet.
I see that the SHARP rating has played a major role in choosing. I am wondering if both Micrometric/Double D Ring fasteners are equally safe because the valor which comes with Micrometric has got 5* whereas the Qualifier DLX has not. I checked into the SHARP website and i see the impact areas are only considered. Closure types does not play a part in SHARP testing or have i missed something here?

I am simply not able to conclude on the fastener mechanism here. Maybe throw your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the suggestions.
RajeshKanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 23:16   #3158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshKanna View Post
Qualifier DLX was what i had in my mind once it came down to the unavailability of the said HJC/SCORPION models. Only feature which stands in the way of VALOR is Micrometric Fastener. I am somehow fixed on Double D Ring type.

I see that the SHARP rating has played a major role in choosing. I am wondering if both Micrometric/Double D Ring fasteners are equally safe because the valor which comes with Micrometric has got 5* whereas the Qualifier DLX has not. I checked into the SHARP website and i see the impact areas are only considered. Closure types does not play a part in SHARP testing or have i missed something here?

I am simply not able to conclude on the fastener mechanism here. Maybe throw your thoughts on this?

My AGV K3 SV has a micrometric system while my Shark Race R Pro has the double D ring system. Some of my earlier helmets had the micrometric system while the others were the double D ring variety. In my experience, the micrometric ones area lot easier to handle in every day life, since you can close and open them even if you have your gloves on. With the double D ring helmets, you have to remove your gloves, before you open or close the helmets.

If you might do track days, go for a helmet with a double D ring system.

My opinion is that a helmet with a ECE + 5* SHARP rating and micrometric fastner is probably safer than an alternative helmet with a ECE + 3 / 4 * SHARP rating and a double D ring system. Scientifically, one can counter my opinion by stating that the SHARP test (and other helmet tests for that matter) is conducted in certain fixed conditions and a real life fall may or may not replicate those scenarios. I agree, but I prefer to have some data point to validate my decision making and a SHARP rating does provide a fixed criteria, which is better than having no criteria at all. Thats just my opinion and how I would spend my own money to protect my head. It will be interesting to hear the thoughts of other members on this question.
neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 03:55   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My opinion is that a helmet with a ECE + 5* SHARP rating and micrometric fastner is probably safer than an alternative helmet with a ECE + 3 / 4 * SHARP rating and a double D ring system. Scientifically, one can counter my opinion by stating that the SHARP test (and other helmet tests for that matter) is conducted in certain fixed conditions and a real life fall may or may not replicate those scenarios. I agree, but I prefer to have some data point to validate my decision making and a SHARP rating does provide a fixed criteria, which is better than having no criteria at all. Thats just my opinion and how I would spend my own money to protect my head. It will be interesting to hear the thoughts of other members on this question.
I echo your thoughts too. In the absence of our individual means and abilities to devise a testing or assessment methodology for everything under the sun, we have to rely on and defer to whatever is an established standard on a given topic.
The Sharp test has emerged as one of the more comprehensive testing standards than the earlier ones, so I put my money on exactly this too. Can it be improved - of course yes. Will it get improved and superceded - again yes. But for now and until then I'd choose a Sharp 5 over everything else.

My previous was a Sharp 3 (!) Bell Qualifier DLX with Double D, and current is a Sharp 5 Caberg Tourmax with Micrometric. That's where I put my money.
And Micrometric over Double D any day for regular use simply for its convenience.

Last edited by roy_libran : 26th February 2021 at 04:15.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 21:56   #3160

Quote:

If you might do track days, go for a helmet with a double D ring system.
I am never going to do that, so i guess i will leave that confusion behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

My previous was a Sharp 3 (!) Bell Qualifier DLX with Double D, and current is a Sharp 5 Caberg Tourmax with Micrometric. That's where I put my money.
And Micrometric over Double D any day for regular use simply for its convenience.

I got in touch with High Note Performance guys as suggested here and asked about manufacturing date, size and stuff. Since this is my first helmet purchase i have very little idea on these things. Upon measuring my head size it is 58-59 cms in circumference. HNP personnel advised me to go with size L. Also the manufacturing is of March 2020.

Now, can i go ahead and place the order considering the manufacturing date? Also people who have Valor please chip in with the fit and the padding removability/cleaning of the same.

Also, has anyone had any experience buying from motoflux.com site? The prices there are lesser of all sites i have seen. I have asked them to share the manufacturing date as well.

Last edited by RajeshKanna : 27th February 2021 at 22:11. Reason: Extra content added.
RajeshKanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 23:30   #3161
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of friends took a look at the helmet today and all of them were impressed with the quality of helmet and the lining. And these are guys who sport brands like AGV / Shoei etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Bought a Caberg Duke II Impact from spartan pro gear website.

Would have loved the lock strap to be a little longer. Its kind of a tight fit around my neck, even at the first locking position.

...I will be using it for long rides and am happy with the purchase.
Update on the lock strap issue. The strap was further adjusted to my comfort today at the store. There is a small collar type into which the strap had been placed & this tricked me into thinking that there's not enough length. So one more point for Caberg helmet for comfort.

Had bought a Sena 50s few months back to ensure I have a hands-free experience while riding and also listen to music and also to be used if group rides become a thing for me. It was kept to be installed on the new helmet to be bought though I had tested the equipment.

Got it to a friend who found Caberg inner panels to be a little different and he was gracious enough to accompany me to Spartan Pro Gear at Uthandi for installation. One of the associates spent about 30 mins and installed it clean.

Tested it at the store and found it adequate quality. Will post a short feedback after a real time usage.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20210227_2245132.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20210227_2245222.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th February 2021 at 23:32.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 20:28   #3162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Nice to see desi brands stepping up their game, that price is pretty alright for something with an internal sunvisor. How optically correct is it though?
Sir, I have done just one ride with my new helmet, it was a longish 60 kms test ride - started in evening and included fading sunset light, night ride in very remote winding route (around Balehonnur). I liked the feel, fit and very good unhindered visibility to rider (it's all winding estate rounds around this place) and also the night ride - the visors are top quality and there is no internal fogging, so the pinlock system also worked.
There was fog on the road too at night fall.

I need to get used to idea of locating the air vent doors while riding. Overall its 5 star rating helmet. Simply perfect.
Haven't used it for short city rides yet, which I end up using my older half helmet.
ownerofazkaban is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:18   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
  1. What's your initial impression?
  2. How is the wind noise?
  3. Is the build quality better than LS2 at that price range?
Initial impression when compared to my older SPG kranos, Visibility is a bit limited now. Wind noise is more or less same at 80-100kph. At 60kph, wind noise is more than my SPG kranos. Its heavier. Build quality is nice. Fits well, cheek pads are much better and helmet isolates from environment well due to chin curtain (this will be problematic in peak summer i believe). How well it fares in fog and rain is yet to be seen. Don't know how it fares against LS2 as i never checked LS2 in person. Quality was definitely better than SMK. Similar to MT and Axxis. Durability? can't comment about it right now.
Helmet doesn't come with a owners manual/instruction slip though.
hgps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:44   #3164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the build quality better than LS2 at that price range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgps View Post
....Don't know how it fares against LS2 as i never checked LS2 in person..
If you manage to find a genuine LS2 helmet, since fakes abound across our market, you'd find LS2 helmets usually punching way above it's price category. They are almost always better than their price-point competition in Cushioning, Air-flow, Construction, Paint quality and carry very good reviews.

This is based on my personal experiences with FF320 (Stream Evo), FF324 (Metro Evo) and old FF382 Modular, over the years.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:35   #3165

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
If you manage to find a genuine LS2 helmet, since fakes abound across our market, you'd find LS2 helmets usually punching way above it's price category.
What trustworthy source(s) would you advise to get one's hands on a genuine LS2 helmet in the current market?
mohit_a is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed