Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:26   #3016
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I went to a store and tried the Scott on and felt it to be too bobble headed for my head. I don’t know how many shell sizes they run, and there are hardly any reviews online for their helmet.
BHPian & Instagrammer 'sachinwadhwani' has been using Scott helmet for a while on his Africa twin, his helmet fit would be way different though (baldie head).
I am aware you are tilted towards Leatt than Scott, still.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:00   #3017
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
BHPian & Instagrammer 'sachinwadhwani' has been using Scott helmet for a while on his Africa twin, his helmet fit would be way different though (baldie head).
I am aware you are tilted towards Leatt than Scott, still.
Haan Bhai. I actually went and tried the Scott on at a store and found it very uncomfortable for my soft lustrous head

Hope to try the Leatt on at some point. Not that I need another helmet!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:51   #3018
BHPian

I love it.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2772_polarr.jpeg

Got a very nice deal from Team Driven (<11k). This one is the Plus and has MIPS. Few months back, I got a Thh TX27 (AFX FX41 DS) from them in XL and it just didn't fit. Great helmet, albeit a bit heavy, but it fit my father really well, so we didn't return it.

This one is in XL as well, and felt just a little too snug at first. After a couple of rides, I am enjoying it. Lovely helmet, looks amazing and feels very light. Now, I need goggles (and other off road gear).

Cheers,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:39   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Detel launches BIS-certified helmet for Rs. 699

Detel has launched what is claimed to be the world’s most economical helmet. The new BIS-certified model called TRED costs just Rs. 699.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-detel-helmet-1.jpg

The TRED is an open-face helmet. Its shell is made from HD Fresh Granules and comes with a Black Nylex harness. It has a removable cheek pad. The visor is made from polycarbonate (PC) and is claimed to be scratch free and is detachable. The helmet comes with a white reflective strip for added safety during night time.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-detel-helmet.jpg

The Detel TRED helmet is available on Amazon and the Detel India website. It is also available on B2BAdda.com for bulk buyers.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd December 2020 at 16:41.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:45   #3020
Senior - BHPian

Re: Detel launches BIS-certified helmet for Rs. 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The visor is made from polycarbonate (PC) and is claimed to be scratch free and is detachable
Whether the helmet will leave the face scratch free & the head detached in an accident is something TIME will tell, not the ISI mark!!
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:38   #3021
BHPian

Seems sketchy to me, won't trust it to protect my melon, what is this HD granules?
Manan9876 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 23:23   #3022
BHPian

No offense to the OP but my personal opinion is that we really shouldn't be posting stuff like this on an enthusiast run forum.

I wouldn't care two hoots about some idiot hanging his helmet on his elbow but if a young impressionable teen asked me about the right helmet to get there is no way I would recommend some ISI tagged crap.

Imagine the number of young kids who fall for the slick marketing and celebrity endorsed helmets. We really don't need to add to this with the cheapest helmet tag.
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 11:14   #3023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Imagine the number of young kids who fall for the slick marketing and celebrity endorsed helmets. We really don't need to add to this with the cheapest helmet tag.
Am with you on that one - couldn't have said it better. When it comes to safety, get the best you can. Not the most affordable! I really don't understand people who have money to buy 2 wheelers but not a good helmet.
Old 4th December 2020, 11:22   #3024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Its shell is made from HD Fresh Granules and comes with a Black Nylex harness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan9876 View Post
Seems sketchy to me, won't trust it to protect my melon, what is this HD granules?
Seems this is basically plastic formed out of HDPE Plastic Granules. Whether or not one should trust their Egg in a shell like this is an individual decision.
Quote:
No offense to the OP but my personal opinion is that we really shouldn't be posting stuff like this on an enthusiast run forum.
Let's not shoot the messenger here, although I also agree that we shouldn't be posting this on the forum and in any way contribute to promoting this.

What however begs discussion is what exactly is ISI testing for, and how it racks up against say ECE, DOT and SHARP.
Old 4th December 2020, 11:27   #3025
BHPian

I humbly disagree; actually we should prominently post news like this in an enthusiast run forum like Team-Bhp, not only prospective buyers of such unsafe helmet have the benefit of the views/opinions/feedback from experts and experienced riders, we members would have the opportunity to call out such manufacturer's who otherwise would get away with shamelessly marketing such obviously unsafe product.

It would not matter for us members who value our lives(and head) more, at least we can permit the readers of this forum to enlighten themselves(and in the process save some lives).

Quote:

Last edited by setuniket : 4th December 2020 at 11:30.
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 12:29   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Let's not shoot the messenger here, although I also agree that we shouldn't be posting this on the forum and in any way contribute to promoting this.
Definitely didn't mean to come off as against the OP for posting. Apologize to him if it did indeed feel that way. I was basically against posting that press release because it seems to promote the affordable cost of the helmet more than its safety creds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
I humbly disagree; actually we should prominently post news like this in an enthusiast run forum like Team-Bhp, not only prospective buyers of such unsafe helmet have the benefit of the views/opinions/feedback from experts and experienced riders, we members would have the opportunity to call out such manufacturer's who otherwise would get away with shamelessly marketing such obviously unsafe product.
Agreed that we should be discussing news like this. But it should be with the express intent to let others know that there is no way a helmet like this can be competent at its job.

The marketing bump made it seem like the manufacturer is proud of making the cheapest helmet (i guess it's a commendable achievement as far as optimizing costs is concerned) but it's not something I would like to focus on.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 13:36   #3027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
What however begs discussion is what exactly is ISI testing for, and how it racks up against say ECE, DOT and SHARP.
ISI and DOT are firstly based on archaic principles in terms of how much force they ought to withstand on the crown, they do not test chin bars nor do they test visors. Secondly and more importantly they are both honorary based systems wherein it is upto the manufacturer to claim whether or not their helmet meets the standards this means that upto 20 percent of DOT helmets would fail the DOT tests and God only knows how many ISI certified lids would pass either. Best to pick up a lid that is ECE certified and if one wants more then they can look at ACU gold star, Snell and FIM certifications.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 19:51   #3028
BHPian

Any good place to buy snell approved helmets in New Delhi without worrying about counterfeit
Old 5th December 2020, 17:43   #3029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Any good place to buy snell approved helmets in New Delhi without worrying about counterfeit
I have purchased riding boots, pants, pin lock for my helmet and a few other accessories from Riderz Planet (Mehrauli-Gurgaon road). Although I haven't purchased any helmets from them, they do have a good selection. The staff seemed knowledgeable and polite.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2020, 21:39   #3030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Any specific reason for Snell certification? As far as I know, that's only required for racing in the US. ECE certification would be the one to get in my opinion, and you can also look at the SHARP rating if you like.

If I was in Delhi, I would've checked the available models online, and then gone to the shop after shortlisting, to try. Bell would be my choice: https://www.highnoteperformance.com/...s/bell-helmets

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks