Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2021, 22:23   #3121
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I believe test rides can only happen with a friend's lid
Doesn't help much when your friends mostly ride wearing flimsy ass helmets that you can squish with your hands.

Quote:
Overall I think that's just good etiquette to only try gear indoors, even though it's true that riding with it is the only 100% guaranteed way of knowing that's the one.
I agree 100%. Guess I was being a bit selfish in my earlier post. Is there any other way to ascertain if a helmet will be unbearably noisy?

I remember reading somewhere that having thicker padding + chin curtain helps cut down on wind noise. So comparing the thickness of the padding would help, no?
Shumi_21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 22:56   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
I agree 100%. Guess I was being a bit selfish in my earlier post. Is there any other way to ascertain if a helmet will be unbearably noisy?

I remember reading somewhere that having thicker padding + chin curtain helps cut down on wind noise. So comparing the thickness of the padding would help, no?
Na it's a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do, but just difficult to justify considering the store people and future buyers of that same item if you decide not to. Also, with most gear there's a break-in period, I remember my SOL helmet paining like hell for a few hours on first use, around the crown. Have used it for thousands of kilometers since, no problems at all. Even riding with a helmet for a few minutes will not give you the whole picture I mean.

Reviews are your only option if there are no friends to consult, Revzilla has a dedicated section for "Noise level". I do not believe padding thickness makes that much of a difference, it's more about the aerodynamics of the shell and vents, how well the visor seals, the chin curtain yes. Simple things like wearing a neck scarf thing can help reduce the intensity of the noise, but it depends.

Even with the quietest helmet, for highway riding you're still going to need ear plugs, so I wouldn't worry too much about wind noise personally. Your location is showing as Mumbai, you'll find plenty of praise for LABs and their store in this thread. Might be a good idea to check out their range on their site, visit them to try.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 23:21   #3123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, thicker padding and chin curtains will restrict the air flow from below your jaw and hence will keep the helmet more quiet. I can feel the difference in the wind noise between my AGV K3SV (touring helmet) and my Shark Race R Pro (race helmet that is super snug with a chin curtain). I dont think the helmets in the lower price ranges come with these though.

There will be some level of wind noise that we will have to deal with. The best thing to do is use those 3M ear plugs that cost Rs 10 each. That way you wont have to worry about wind noise at all.

My suggestion is to just do your research and try out all your shortlisted helmets in the stores. At least one or more of them should fit you well. Go with that and you can continue to enjoy your motorcycling.

The unfortunate truth is that there arent that many helmets coming in these days as compared to earlier. So we wont get options like HJC etc in that same price range.
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 17:54   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Your location is showing as Mumbai, you'll find plenty of praise for LABs and their store in this thread. Might be a good idea to check out their range on their site, visit them to try.
Yep, they are located close to my workplace. And they are very helpful indeed! Back in 2019, they were very happy to let me check out/try the Scorpion Eddy jacket at their store even though I made it clear that I will be purchasing off Revzilla and a friend will be carrying it back for me! I will be visiting them to check out the Scorpio Exo 490.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The best thing to do is use those 3M ear plugs that cost Rs 10 each. That way you wont have to worry about wind noise at all.
Just ordered these off Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The unfortunate truth is that there arent that many helmets coming in these days as compared to earlier. So we wont get options like HJC etc in that same price range.
I really wanted to get the HJC i70 Asto or the Bell RS2; but the current unavailability and my Thunder 3 giving up have kind of forced my hand

Here's an out of the box(lid?) thought: Why don't I purchase another MT Thunder 3 SV for the time being and go for the HJC's, Bell's, Airoh's a few months down the line when I'm upgrading my bike?

The thunder 3 is as VFM as they come, with a 4 star sharp rating at ₹6.6k and I'm happy with the wind noise situation on it too.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 21:51   #3125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just ordered these off Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion!
For a super snug fit, just hold them under water for a few seconds before you wear them. Then when you slide them into your ear canal, the ear plugs will go in easily and slowly expand to take the shape of the canal. The net result will be maximum reduction in wind noise while still allowing you to hear horns etc.

Quote:
I really wanted to get the HJC i70 Asto or the Bell RS2; but the current unavailability and my Thunder 3 giving up have kind of forced my hand

Here's an out of the box(lid?) thought: Why don't I purchase another MT Thunder 3 SV for the time being and go for the HJC's, Bell's, Airoh's a few months down the line when I'm upgrading my bike?

The thunder 3 is as VFM as they come, with a 4 star sharp rating at ₹6.6k and I'm happy with the wind noise situation on it too.
From what a little birdie tells me, HJC helmets are not going to be coming to India for the foreseeable future. Also with the upcoming deadline for ISI helmets, I am not sure if importers will want to risk bringing in new helmets and be stuck with non compliant products that they cannot sell legally.

If you can get a recently manufactured helmet now, go for it as some of these helmets may not be available after a few months.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:15   #3126
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a Caberg Duke II Impact from spartan pro gear website. It was delivered to Kolkata 2 days ahead of ETA. Had very less time to check it out, so had to take a risk. The size was tried and tested in the showroom and hence no doubts on the fit.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20210212_1543142.jpg

Price : 18,500/-, no discounts; free shipping.

Usage so far : 1700 kms (day & night)

Fit & Finish: PREMIUM compared to my MT helmet (Cost me 5500/-). The paint scheme is good, feels really nice to touch. The inner pads feel so comfortable too.

Weight : 1600g or something Vs 1450g of my MT Mugello. Caberg feels lighter.

Comfort : Good. There is a little bit of tug at the cheek bone compared to the tug at jaw on MT. A little irritating / pain on day 1 and was much better on day 02.

Would have loved the lock strap to be a little longer. Its kind of a tight fit around my neck, even at the first locking position.

Unlocking is so freakin easy even with gloves.

Modular function : Very good. The press button is a little hard and can be operated with the gloves on. Once lifted up, stays there without much drama. A lock switch is provided to ensure the lifted up portion doesnt fall back accidentally. Found the switch to be really difficult to operate even while the helmet was in my hand.

Sun visor / visor quality : found to be good. The SV is not too obtrusive and felt it gave a nice view in the bright afternoons. Didn't try in the dark conditions.

Noise : This can create a racket above 75 kmph speeds. Gets very annoying above 100 kmph. A good ear plug is VERY STRONGLY recommended. I ride with my music mostly, a good fitting in-ear phones does help big time.

Solution - keep the chin portion raised up . I really loved how there was hardly a noise at those speeds with the open face.

Ventilation : Ok. Was hoping this to be better, felt really warm during the afternoons.

Accessories : Pinlock included in the package, yet to fix. Am. Sure it'll work fine, as I have a pinlock on my MT. A little worried as there are no stock for windshields anywhere or the site. Spartan says stock will come in Mar/Apr, but no concrete info on imports.

My verdict : I have had only 2 helmets and this one is really good compared to my MT Mugello. But at a 3x price, it better be . I will be using it for long rides and am happy with the purchase.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th February 2021 at 20:21.
swiftnfurious is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:44   #3127
Senior - BHPian

Good choice. This is the model I was suggesting to Shumi as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My verdict : I have had only 2 helmets and this one is really good compared to my MT Mugello. But at a 3x price, it better be . I will be using it for long rides and am happy with the purchase.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 16:07   #3128
BANNED

Sharing a video about the bad quality of an MT helmet combined with the bad customer service of Spartan ProGear Co (SPG)

Lots of my friends are very much satisfied with their pre-2020 helmets for their features and VFM. Don't have any experience with MT helmets in 2020. Those who've bought MT helmets in 2020 can chime in.
  1. Are they(SPG) dumping low-quality MT helmets in India?
  2. Is this a problem with SPG or with the MT helmets as a whole?
mithun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 20:04   #3129
RRR
BHPian

I'm up for buying a new helmet & with a budget of ~20K following are my requirements in order-

- Shell construction - Fibre Glass/Carbon Fibre ()
- Rating- SHARP(5/4), ECE
- Multi-density EPF
- Others- Speaker pockets/lesser noise levels/Pin-lock ready
- No graphics (not a fan)

I'm really tempted with what MT has to offer with the Rapide series, but it doesn't have SHARP rating. HJC FG17 would cover most of my requirements barring its weight (1.6Kg). Scorpion EXO-1400 CARBON AIR is excellent but it's around 30K.

Please help me with your suggestions, Am I missing any options here? BTW, I'm in Bangalore.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 18th February 2021, 22:03   #3130
BHPian

What about AGV K3 SV? Lovely reviews on Revzilla, 4* Sharp. Currently showing out of stock at LGU, may have something to do with the import restrictions. There must be other stores around in B'lore that might have one.

As far as I know the EXO 1400 Carbon is the cheapest carbon fiber lid around, which is why I bought it. It checks all your boxes, but is almost twice your budget at 38k from LABs.
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 13:32   #3131
RRR
BHPian

Quote:
What about AGV K3 SV? Lovely reviews on Revzilla, 4* Sharp. Currently showing out of stock at LGU, may have something to do with the import restrictions. There must be other stores around in B'lore that might have one.

As far as I know the EXO 1400 Carbon is the cheapest carbon fiber lid around, which is why I bought it. It checks all your boxes, but is almost twice your budget at 38k from LABs.
AGV K3 has Thermoplastic+Resin shell which is another polycarbonate, I would like to avoid any polycarbonate simply coz of it's craking nature under the extreme impact.

Since you are using- EXO 1400 Carbon, Can you please let me know- how is the noise level? what's your head size & helmet's? what about the availability of spares? any issues you know of? Thank you!!
Old 19th February 2021, 13:55   #3132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
AGV K3 has Thermoplastic+Resin shell which is another polycarbonate, I would like to avoid any polycarbonate simply coz of it's craking nature under the extreme impact.

Since you are using- EXO 1400 Carbon, Can you please let me know- how is the noise level? what's your head size & helmet's? what about the availability of spares? any issues you know of? Thank you!!
I personally see no problem with a thermoplastic shell, only reason I went for carbon fiber was weight. Vast majority of helmets on sale right now are non-carbon, there can't be too much wrong with them.

It's too early for me to judge the EXO 1400, I've only had it for a few days, and I still don't have an actual motorcycle Activa rides aren't really the best way to test it. On top of that the helmet I had before this was a SOL, which cost less than 1/6th the price. I do not have a good baseline is what I'm trying to say.

Noise level is obviously far far better than the SOL, the Activa doesn't go beyond 80 though. My head circumference is 57 cm, I went for size M. I do not forsee any major issues sourcing visors etc. for it in India, LABs is an official importer, I would expect things to be available even if it's with a delay. You do get a clear visor + dark visor included in the package, I hope I won't need spares anytime soon.
RiderZone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:18   #3133
BHPian

After much deliberation, finally went ahead and bought the MT THUNDER 3SV. The Isle of Man TT graphic was my first choice but alas every stockist was out of those graphics.

Nonetheless I like this one too, and this is only my fall back helmet for now until I save up for a premium one. I had sold off the HJC CL-17 hence this was an urgent buy.

The fit is good, and I am very comfortable inside, quite liking it.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-boardglosswhite1_a69ca28943c846fa815043cb9d353731_1800x1800600x600.jpg
ManasN95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:58   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Bought a Caberg Duke II Impact from spartan pro gear website. It was delivered to Kolkata 2 days ahead of ETA. Had very less time to check it out, so had to take a risk. The size was tried and tested in the showroom and hence no doubts on the fit.
Nice one, I see you went for the same colour as I did- it’s really a nice and more importantly, visible scheme. Welcome to the club!
The noise is an issue like you noted. But short of a helmet with a chin curtain like others mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no real option but ear plugs. I got the 3M ones Neil recommended.
One thing I wish was different was the position of the visor edge to lift it, would have preferred it be on the side rather than the centre.
philipmathen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:57   #3135
BHPian

So its time to finally retire my 4 year and 10 months old SPG Kranos helmet. It served me well except for the wind noise it created. Looking for suggestions in the budget of 4-6k.

It'll be my single do-it-all helmet. From daily commutes to sunday morning rides. Has to be spectacles friendly

Options considered:
1. SMK series of helmet: VFM, internal sun visor, anti fog insert. But can't get over the fact that its a desi brand after all
2. Axxis series: Seem like rebranded Kranos that i already used.

Any other option?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks