Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 01:30   #3271
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Pictures of my MT Thunder 3 SV Turbine helmet that I received on 24/07.
Congrats! This helmet seems very popular.

Quick question: My size is 59 cm. What size do you suggest? M or L? Do note that trying out helmets in store for fit is not a possibility for me during these times.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 27th July 2021 at 01:32.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 07:24   #3272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Congrats! This helmet seems very popular.

Quick question: My size is 59 cm. What size do you suggest? M or L? Do note that trying out helmets in store for fit is not a possibility for me during these times.
Please follow this link wherein the corresponding sizes are listed:-

https://www.spartanprogear.com/pages/size-charts

Also you can go through this link for a better understanding of helmet sizes and fitting :-

https://www.motosport.com/blog/motor...e-right-helmet
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 00:40   #3273

This is my first post on Team-BHP. Sorry if it is a little long-winded.
It's time to replace my 4-year-old helmet. I am from Hyderabad so visiting stores that carry helmets may not be a suitable option. My head size is 59cm which puts me in large in most brands.

I use a T120 mostly on weekend rides but I want to take a few trips once the situation simmers down. I am comfortable cruizing at 110kmph and don't really feel the need to push past that most days.

My price range caps at 35K ish. I saw a few FIM homologated helmets at this range. Can't afford ARAIs or SHOEIs as they are way above 70K.

I went through this forum and figured out a few preferences:
  • Safety goes first. Make, Color, Look secondary to that.
  • I don't need an internal sun visor. I use prescription glasses.
  • Wind noise is not really a big concern as I use fomies on long rides.
  • Stability and comfort are important.
  • Comm. system compatibility is a must.
  • I would prefer lower weights but I can adapt.
  • Lastly, I would prefer to have color options past black to be more visible.
That said I was fortunate enough to try an HJC F70 (L) and it fits well.

These were the options I was considering:
  • Scorpion Exo R1 Air
  • Airoh GP 550
  • HJC RPHA 11
  • HJC F70
I would love to get your inputs and pick something I can use for 3-5 years at the least. I don't even know if I am looking at the right kind of helmets for my application. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th July 2021 at 01:41. Reason: LIST Tags added,
SrikarK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:24   #3274
Team-BHP Support

This was shared on my Mumbai R.A.T. group. I’m a big fan of Fort Nine videos in general and this was a brilliant video breaking down all things relevant on the Snell testing and safety standard.

Going forward, I’ll definitely draw a lot more comfort from ECE over all else (other than ISI of course, which is the definitive gold standard for helmets that can best protect elbows and bike mirrors of Indian two wheeler riders).

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th July 2021 at 09:41.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 09:55   #3275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikarK View Post
I use a T120 mostly on weekend rides but I want to take a few trips once the situation simmers down. I am comfortable cruizing at 110kmph and don't really feel the need to push past that most days.

My price range caps at 35K ish. I saw a few FIM homologated helmets at this range. Can't afford ARAIs or SHOEIs as they are way above 70K.

I went through this forum and figured out a few preferences:
  • Safety goes first. Make, Color, Look secondary to that.
  • I don't need an internal sun visor. I use prescription glasses.
  • Wind noise is not really a big concern as I use fomies on long rides.
  • Stability and comfort are important.
  • Comm. system compatibility is a must.
  • I would prefer lower weights but I can adapt.
  • Lastly, I would prefer to have color options past black to be more visible.
That said I was fortunate enough to try an HJC F70 (L) and it fits well.

These were the options I was considering:
  • Scorpion Exo R1 Air
  • Airoh GP 550
  • HJC RPHA 11
  • HJC F70
For that budget, the shortlisted helmets are your best options. Some things to keep in mind are
  • Scorpion Exo R1 Air - sporty helmet, FIM approved in small size, no SHARP rating
  • Airoh GP 550 - sporty helmet, FIM approved in extra small size, no SHARP rating
  • HJC RPHA 11 - sporty helmet, No FIM approval, 3 * SHARP rated
  • HJC F70 - sports touring helmet so obviously no FIM approval, no SHARP rating
Im not a big fan of the top of the line HJCs like the RPHA 10 and the RPHA 11, only on account of their poor SHARP scores. Its ironic that their mid range helmets do very well on the same SHARP tests but their track helmets dont.

The FIM rating is pretty stringent and a good qualifier to base your purchase on. Between the Scorpion and the Airoh, I will always suggest you try and buy. You cant go wrong with either one. Happy shopping.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 23:37   #3276
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikarK View Post
I would love to get your inputs and pick something I can use for 3-5 years at the least. I don't even know if I am looking at the right kind of helmets for my application. Thanks.
I would also suggest looking at the Nolan/X-lite X-803R range; extremely light, extremely premium liner material and personally a good ownership experience as well as a crash test of its predecessor the X802R from my side
Old 29th July 2021, 22:09   #3277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would also suggest looking at the Nolan/X-lite X-803R range; extremely light, extremely premium liner material and personally a good ownership experience as well as a crash test of its predecessor the X802R from my side
Is new stock of the Xlite X803 available in India?

I havent seen it pop up in any of the stores that I know and to my knowledge, Nolan / XLites were last imported years ago.
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:10   #3278
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Is new stock of the Xlite X803 available in India?

I havent seen it pop up in any of the stores that I know and to my knowledge, Nolan / XLites were last imported years ago.
I don't think so but I believe bikegear.in directly imports on order basis with shipping and customs included in the price that you pay to them. Ofcourse this would mean that one forgoes the ISI sticker requirement from their side.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 2nd August 2021 at 14:12.
Old 4th August 2021, 17:09   #3279
Senior - BHPian

Re: HJC i70 review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
I chose i70 over CS-15 (no internal sun visor) and C70 (felt top vent closure cumbersome to operate). Spartan delivered it in 4 days.

snip....

Conclusion: Helmets are priceless. Getting a safer helmet is always costly and there is no upper price limit. I picked this due to constraints of my current budget and brand adaptivity. I don't know if I should directly jumped to HJC F70/F70 carbon, perhaps this was a less risky, slow & steady upgrade option.
Hi Sukiwa,
Came here to ask about the HJC helmet and saw your review on the HJC i70.
I am also upgrading from the SMK Twister. Tried on the CS-15, C70 and I70 at a local Spartar dealer/reseller.

The CS-15 feels pretty spartan (pun intended) compared to the C70 and I70. Everything about the I70 feels solid and well put together. The I70 comes with Pinlock (70, I think) visor in the box which the C70 does not. I was looking to get i70 Tas (the one you have) but its not in stock. However, i70 Elim looks brilliant in its matt blue with patches of red.

I was assuming this would be a quieter helmet compared to the SMK, as the SMK Twister is a pretty noisy helmet. Does that hamper in the daily rides or trips? I haven't invested in ear tips yet, perhaps now is the time.

I have a budget of 12-15K, any other suggestions?

Regards,
Hiren

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 4th August 2021 at 17:14.
Old 4th August 2021, 17:58   #3280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
The I70 comes with Pinlock (70, I think) visor in the box which the C70 does not.
Yes, i70 ships with Pinlock 70.
Quote:
I was looking to get i70 Tas (the one you have) but its not in stock.
I have seen i70 Tas getting back in stock thrice so far, please hit 'notify me' button.
Quote:
However, i70 Elim looks brilliant in its matt blue with patches of red.
For me, this is first time I have gone for a colourful helmet, it had been plain jane solid colours so far.

Quote:
I was assuming this would be a quieter helmet compared to the SMK, as the SMK Twister is a pretty noisy helmet.
I am going to try i70 on another 2 bikes in coming days, wife's Avenger and surja's Interceptor (both bikes with add-on windscreen). Will report how's wind noise on those bikes.

Quote:
Have you tried Scorpion helmets at LABs, Andheri?
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:55   #3281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so but I believe bikegear.in directly imports on order basis with shipping and customs included in the price that you pay to them. Ofcourse this would mean that one forgoes the ISI sticker requirement from their side.
I thought as much. Im pretty certain that there are no new Nolan / XLite helmets in India in 2021. Without the option of trying and buying, personally, I find it hard to recommend these helmets.

Quote:
I haven't invested in ear tips yet, perhaps now is the time.
Just get those inexpensive 3M orange earplugs. If you buy them as a pack, the per unit cost comes to between Rs 10 - 15. I always recommend that bikers use ear plugs to save their long term hearing.

Quote:
The Airoh Valor is a solid choice in this price range. The 5* SHARP rating is the cherry on the cake. A friend picked up one recently.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:51   #3282
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I thought as much. Im pretty certain that there are no new Nolan / XLite helmets in India in 2021. Without the option of trying and buying, personally, I find it hard to recommend these helmets.
They say that they will ship from Europe to your address but I just saw that the included costs involved have notched the prices from around 40k to 70k honestly think it is better to buy these things in Europe and bring back or else have a friend/relative bring it down.

Trying and buying is definitely solid advice but these days you've got a plethora of not just reviews but videos as well on lots (granted not all) of these top of the line helmets I think one can easily make an educated guess based on ownership reviews of people with similarly shaped heads. It is key to understand whether you fit into the oval or circular or inbetween category and then asses but I feel there is enough information available on the net about these things. This may not be the case with most MTs or budget polycarb helmets especially ones with drop down sunvisors since they are a dime a dozen and a new one gets launched every now and then, but most popular expensive pieces of kit have enough reviews on them to form an informed opinion.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th August 2021 at 20:53.
Old 4th August 2021, 22:37   #3283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They say that they will ship from Europe to your address but I just saw that the included costs involved have notched the prices from around 40k to 70k honestly think it is better to buy these things in Europe and bring back or else have a friend/relative bring it down.

Trying and buying is definitely solid advice but these days you've got a plethora of not just reviews but videos as well on lots (granted not all) of these top of the line helmets I think one can easily make an educated guess based on ownership reviews of people with similarly shaped heads. It is key to understand whether you fit into the oval or circular or inbetween category and then asses but I feel there is enough information available on the net about these things. This may not be the case with most MTs or budget polycarb helmets especially ones with drop down sunvisors since they are a dime a dozen and a new one gets launched every now and then, but most popular expensive pieces of kit have enough reviews on them to form an informed opinion.
We seem to be saying the same thing, but in different words. Going with an XLite helmet (or any other helmet that is not sold in India for that matter), will come down to an educated guess or an informed opinion.

If we didnt have any other options in the Indian market, then yes, a best guess is the way to go. But when we have FIM approved helmets, and SHARP rated helmets in India, that we can try and buy in authorized retailers, then surely, that has to be the way to go. Rolling the dice on a niche brand that doesnt have the brand value of its competition (I say this as former Nolan owner, so I know how the market perceives Nolan and XLite!),doesnt seem to be the best course of action.

Its a lot like saying I will buy a Rs 50K scooter without a test ride because someone else wrote on the internet that it is a good scooter. When we have other equally good scooters, for the same price, that we can test ride in dealerships situated in our neighbourhood, then isnt it better to try and ride?
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 12:41   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Have been an Aldo Drudi fan and more so i really really liked Simoncelli. Sad that we lost such a good rider so soon.
Having lost out on an opportunity to get the AGV "Wish you were here" Pista, i could not say NO to the Tatsuki... Will wear this proudly on the Zuki!!

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=pmJp5euTGiQ

Hope i get this soon though.
I drool on this helmet everytime I see it. Pity, Arais dont fit me otherwise I would have snatched this off you.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 14:16   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Pictures of my MT Thunder 3 SV Turbine helmet that I received on 24/07.
Hello! I am eyeing the MT T3SV as well, but not sure of the same because of the lack of ISI certification. Has MT done the certification or is it still with the (much better, but illegal for India) DOT/ECE/snell ceritifications?
cr4nkshaft is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks