Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 17:12   #3316
RRR
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
What is your take on the base of the helmet? Is it too narrow?

I was at a Spartan store and tried this helmet on. The base of it was way too narrow for me. The sales executive was trying to tell me that you have to really pull the straps wide and then slide it in from the back etc. I had to pull it so much that the helmet was creaking, before I could slide it on. There is no way that I would buy a helmet and subject it to such torture every time I wear it. So the sales guy was quite misinformed but I thought Ill just check with you guys on this. Do you guys also find the same or does it fit like any other helmet?

I am a little puzzled by the market positioning of this helmet. The marvellous carbon fiber finish, sporty shape and the inner liners, all point to a track helmet but it also comes with a drop down sun visor! So its for touring also? Or both? The sun visor was an unusual addition to the helmet.

RRR, the sale guy told me that there is a lever on the side that pushes the visor (main, not inner sun visor) forward a bit. That will allow some air flow and hence there shouldnt be fogging. Try that technique.
Like AtheK mentioned, narrow shape didn't bother me. in fact the space inside the narrow shape (towards the front) will always be empty (at least that's the case with me).
The sales guy's suggestion- To pull the strap wide apart is the way one should put on the helmet. The day I tried the helmet at the shop, I was uncomfortable, but that's how one should feel.. what we should notice is to see if there are any pressure points, luckily I had none for the 10min I tried. After using it for few months it has taken my shape and it's very comfortable now. You should try the next size to see if that's more comfortable.

market positioning-- Like AtheK mentioned, SV can be pulled out easily and that's the only way you can make this track legal. I think they wanted to cover/aim majority of the riders and hence they offered SV.

SV Fogging- Yes the trick you suggested works, but at times I get lazy to do that
RRR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 11:54   #3317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I actually saw the narrow part and thought it will be an issue, but it slid right in, I did not have to resort to pulling the strap too much, maybe it is the face shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Like AtheK mentioned, narrow shape didn't bother me.
Thanks guys. You have confirmed my suspicion that I need a XL and not the L. In fact I had asked for an XL up front, but they didnt have it in stock. The sales guy was trying to get me to go for the L instead, and the way he asked me to pull the straps had the helmet creaking audibly!
Old 17th September 2021, 12:16   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Like AtheK mentioned, narrow shape didn't bother me. in fact the space inside the narrow shape (towards the front) will always be empty (at least that's the case with me).
l:
Is it due to the mismatch between helmet shape and head shape,like round/intermediate oval head in a long oval helmet?
Old 17th September 2021, 12:36   #3319
RRR
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. You have confirmed my suspicion that I need a XL and not the L. In fact I had asked for an XL up front, but they didnt have it in stock. The sales guy was trying to get me to go for the L instead, and the way he asked me to pull the straps had the helmet creaking audibly!
Do not rush, try the next size, engage the D-Ring and leave it on for 5-10min, shake your head, try to twist the helmet to see if they can move around.. All The Best!!
Old 17th September 2021, 12:39   #3320
RRR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamps View Post
Is it due to the mismatch between helmet shape and head shape,like round/intermediate oval head in a long oval helmet?
Absolutely, but I feel we get confused in deciding what shape our head actually is, in the process we might end up asking for certain type/size of helmet and would never try other ones.
Old 20th September 2021, 19:08   #3321
BHPian

Experts, I'm in market for a new helmet. I intend to get a Street Triple sometime soon. But before I get the bike, I'd like to procure some safety gears.

Bought Viaterra Full Gauntlet gloves.

I'd like to get a helmet now. For now, budget is 10~12k. Maybe I can stretch 2k more if I'm getting a much safer one.

I've checked out a store in my city and saw a Bell qualifier(₹9.5k) and a Scorpion helmet (₹10k). Later found out that the bell qualifier is only DOT certified and not ECE or Snell certified. I believe it's the same case with that particular scorpion helmet.

What other options(brands and models) do I have in this price range ?

What is "too tight" fitting helmet ? The store person gave me a L size to try on and it was pretty tight at the cheeks and felt like it's compressing the area above my temporal bones. Within few mins that tight sensation decreased. I was told this will get better with time.

I wear power glasses and can't see without them. Should I look for something in the helmet w.r.t this aspect ?

Thanks in advance.
saisailendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 23:23   #3322
BHPian

10-12k is a bit of a weird range, there are cheaper helmets that are 5 star Sharp rated (MT Revenge for example at 7900), and then there are the HJCs and the AGVs in the 15k plus range. Between those two the choices are few, and not always very attractive.

For the helmet fit, measure your head circumference, and then try accordingly based on size guides. Helmets need to be tight, but not very uncomfortably so. When you first wear one it will definitely feel too clingy, but it does get better. There are plenty of videos online that discuss helmet fit, my explanations won't be better than them.

Most helmets nowadays work well with spectacles, so this shouldn't be a big issue. Once you've shortlisted a lid, you can just check for reviews on Revzilla etc. and you will see people mentioning their experiences with glasses.

Last edited by RiderZone : 20th September 2021 at 23:35.
RiderZone is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 02:46   #3323
BHPian

Does anyone have any feedback or experience with https://riderscloseout.com/?
They have a great collection of helmets at relatively lower costs and free shipping all across In
P72NX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:47   #3324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
They have a great collection of helmets at relatively lower costs and free shipping all across In
They say in their About section that they're based in Italy, and the products come from there. So customs will probably make the lower costs quite useless. Good helmets from Scorpion/HJC/AGV are available at fairly competitive prices in India now, so this doesn't seem worth the risk/hassle.
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 14:45   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a look at the website and didn't find the prices to be anything special. Add to that the fact that you will incur custom duty on stuff, and it would end up being more expensive than ordering from a website like bikegear.in that sources its products from Europe but handles the duties and taxes from their end itself.

If you really want to experiment with buying from a European website then motoin.de would be my suggestion. They are reliable and their prices are truly tempting. But you will still have to pay custom duty so keep that in mind.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 23:42   #3326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
They say in their About section that they're based in Italy, and the products come from there. So customs will probably make the lower costs quite useless. Good helmets from Scorpion/HJC/AGV are available at fairly competitive prices in India now, so this doesn't seem worth the risk/hassle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I had a look at the website and didn't find the prices to be anything special. Add to that the fact that you will incur custom duty on stuff, and it would end up being more expensive than ordering from a website like bikegear.in that sources its products from Europe but handles the duties and taxes from their end itself.

If you really want to experiment with buying from a European website then motoin.de would be my suggestion. They are reliable and their prices are truly tempting. But you will still have to pay custom duty so keep that in mind.
Thank you RiderZone& IshaanIan
I've been trying to find for a good helmet, however, it's been a bit of a struggle.
Helmets I like don't seem to have my size. I am a size 'M' (56/57 cm)
I've visited a few stores in Bangalore -letsgearup, motonation, Orion and the choices have been quite limited. I am guessing thanks to the pandemic and new helmet regulations.
Old 23rd September 2021, 09:56   #3327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I'd like to get a helmet now. For now, budget is 10~12k. Maybe I can stretch 2k more if I'm getting a much safer one.
The Airoh Valor is a very good choice in this segment.

Quote:
What price range of helmets are you looking at? As you mentioned, stocks are depleting across India and for those who have to buy, do so before you are left without any options.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:55   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
I think you would be the ideal candidate to check out the new Axor carbon fiber aramid lid that we were discussing a couple of pages before. It comes in at 1290 grams and bags an ECE sticker too does not get pinlock visor as far as I can make out but I can confidently say that a lighter helmet just edges out over a pinlock system in terms of what feature I'd rate highest in value. At 8k I believe there is no other 1290 gram helmet with an ECE sticker available in the market. Do shoot the company an email and ask them where you can check it out if not enquire about their return policy and if you do get it please let us know how it is
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 23:15   #3329
BHPian

Quote:

What price range of helmets are you looking at? As you mentioned, stocks are depleting across India and for those who have to buy, do so before you are left without any options.
Yes, that's my concern as well
Price-wise I am thinking around 25-30k with a little buffer if needed.
Old 24th September 2021, 09:07   #3330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's my concern as well
Price-wise I am thinking around 25-30k with a little buffer if needed.
If you are looking at a top of the line helmet, keep an eye out for the Caberg Drift Evo Carbon and HJC RPHA 70 (sold through Spartan partner stores), Airoh GP 550 (sold at High Note Performance or their retail stores) and the Scorpion helmets (Lazy Ass Bikers). All are solid options. I will suggest that you pick up what you can, while you can, if you get a helmet that fits you well.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks