Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2022, 23:24   #3406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
+1 to the SMK modular helmets. Im not the biggest fan of modular helmets but I recently found a gentleman buying an SMK modular helmet and it seemed to be a pretty good choice. The ECE certification is a huge feather in its cap and overall, it looks like a solid buy. The Indian manufacturers have been upping their game.
Any feedback on SMK Titan range?

Saw one in the store and was pretty impressed - with a lot of standard features (like pinlock, internal sun visor, emergency release cheek pads) etc included, along with excellent quality material for the liner.

Seems like they have Carbon Fibre too on the Titan range, but for just 10k and also considering the 1.6kg weight which is same as the regular models - I doubt if the shell is indeed carbon fibre or if it's some outer layer only.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 09:56   #3407
BHPian

Quote:
That is not properly installed. And I assume that it is pretty distracting for you, while riding.

Removing the pin lock visor and reinstalling it might not work. The store guys might have to take the pinlock visor from the box of another Axor helmet and install it for you. Assuming they have goofed up the installation, ask them to do it again in front of you to your satisfaction.
Any reason why it cannot be re-installed. I was planning on cleaning mine and re-installing.
It doesn't have any air bubbles like the OP mentioned in the previous post but I can see some specs of dust inside (didn't clean the visor properly when I installed the pin lock in the first place )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any feedback on SMK Titan range?

Saw one in the store and was pretty impressed - with a lot of standard features (like pinlock, internal sun visor, emergency release cheek pads) etc included, along with excellent quality material for the liner.
I have the SMK Force, its a bit old but it has most of the bells and whistles mentioned by you.
A word of caution, I'm not too impressed by the large number of air passages it has. I feel this is what makes it very noisy on the highway. Its pretty noisy even below 80kmph
jomson13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 10:54   #3408

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
From the pic it seems as if a portion of the pinlock is touching the visor.

As far as I know, the middle part of the pinlock shouldn't touch the visor. Only the seal should be in contact. This way, the middle part of the pinlock and the visor have a small pocket of air between them which helps prevent fogging.

I may be wrong of course - perhaps someone with a bit more experience can confirm.

If the helmet doesn't fog up and this bubble doesn't distract you while riding, then there's probably no need to worry.
Quote:
That is not properly installed. And I assume that it is pretty distracting for you, while riding.
There is no fog up nor any hindrance to visibility while wearing or riding. I am thinking I will let it stay for now, and if in the near future the bubble is expanding across the pin lock attachment, I will reinstall.

Quote:
The store guys might have to take the pinlock visor from the box of another Axor helmet and install it for you. Assuming they have goofed up the installation, ask them to do it again in front of you to your satisfaction. Removing the pin lock visor and reinstalling it might not work. You can try to re-attach the pinlock yourself (there are thousands of videos on Youtube on how do to it).
The store (Rainbow Helmets, Chennai) wouldn't do anything. The salesperson took a cloth and wiped the external part of the visor and stated that the helmet was ready to go. So no help there, will have to go with YouTube instructions like you recommended.
Old 1st February 2022, 16:11   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrivaaganam View Post
There is no fog up nor any hindrance to visibility while wearing or riding. I am thinking I will let it stay for now, and if in the near future the bubble is expanding across the pin lock attachment, I will reinstall.

The store (Rainbow Helmets, Chennai) wouldn't do anything. The salesperson took a cloth and wiped the external part of the visor and stated that the helmet was ready to go. So no help there, will have to go with YouTube instructions like you recommended.
Are you sure it is not the film on the inside? Axor helmets ship with a yellow film on the back of the pinlock too.
Grimlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 18:47   #3410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Are you sure it is not the film on the inside? Axor helmets ship with a yellow film on the back of the pinlock too.
Nope, its not. Every protective cover has been removed. The bubble is between the visor and pin lock fitting.
vetrivaaganam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 12:20   #3411
BHPian

Hey guys! So my helmet (A Royal Enfield Retono Street Prime) is overall pretty good bt I've run into a few issues. One, it fogs up really easily and is not pinlock equipped, has anyone tried out any anto fog films? I saw one by this company called autpro but I wanted to know if any of y'all have tried it out. Secondly, I cannot for the life of me find a tinted visor. Please do let me know if any of you have any idea about the same.

My Helmet:
https://store.royalenfield.com/sp-gr...0mm-matt-black

The Autopro Film:
https://theautopro.co.in/products/helmet-film
Old 5th February 2022, 14:50   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Hey guys! So my helmet (A Royal Enfield Retono Street Prime) is overall pretty good bt I've run into a few issues. One, it fogs up really easily and is not pinlock equipped, has anyone tried out any anto fog films? I saw one by this company called autpro but I wanted to know if any of y'all have tried it out. Secondly, I cannot for the life of me find a tinted visor. Please do let me know if any of you have any idea about the same.

My Helmet:
https://store.royalenfield.com/sp-gr...0mm-matt-black

The Autopro Film:
https://theautopro.co.in/products/helmet-film
The ideal solution for the visor is to get this clear visor for your helmet from RE online store here : Retono Clear Visor and put a 'smoke' film on it (stickering or detailing shops do it). This way you can always have a clear and a smoke visor at your disposal. Just that you'll have to carry the visor with you in a 'visor sleeve' (but this is as good as it gets!)

With your fogging issue, I had put Ralieri fog inserts on my ADV helmet visor and it stuck on good for about a year. Depending on the usage, dust and water starts seeping through as the stickering starts to wear off. But I experienced no fogging till the very last day. The retono visor isn't curved as much as my ADV visor - so the chances of it sticking through for longer is more.

Hope this helps.
TheVaas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 18:17   #3413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
The ideal solution for the visor is to get this clear visor for your helmet from RE online store here : Retono Clear Visor and put a 'smoke' film on it (stickering or detailing shops do it). This way you can always have a clear and a smoke visor at your disposal. Just that you'll have to carry the visor with you in a 'visor sleeve' (but this is as good as it gets!)

With your fogging issue, I had put Ralieri fog inserts on my ADV helmet visor and it stuck on good for about a year. Depending on the usage, dust and water starts seeping through as the stickering starts to wear off. But I experienced no fogging till the very last day. The retono visor isn't curved as much as my ADV visor - so the chances of it sticking through for longer is more.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! Appreciate it
Old 11th February 2022, 10:37   #3414
Senior - BHPian

The lack of SHARP rating on Axor and SMK helmets does not inspire much needed confidence, their ECE certification notwithstanding. I am not sure if just by looking at the helmet and feeling its quality while holding it proves anything about its safety pedigree. At least for me as a buyer I would like to see the helmet having SHARP rating as it acts as a proof of safety.

Helmets are not like motorcycles where some people will just look at the motorcycle online and start saying the motorcycle is very good/bad without even touching or riding it.

As a uninformed buyer I used a Vega Boolean modular helmet which failed miserably in a test conducted by some auto journos. As an informed buyer my next helmet was an ECE certified LS2 FF386 helmet having a respectable 4 star SHARP Rating. I can vouch by this from my personal experience where I had a terrible accident sometime in 2019. The impact was so hard that it sent me flying 15 feet and I landed on my forehead on the tarmac. After the impact I felt a little dizzy for about half a minute or so. When the bystanders came and removed my helmet I could see the impact of the accident. The front forehead side of the helmet had deep scratches and the face shield had popped from one side but didn't come out completely (as can be seen on SHARP's website where the face shield remains closed 100% of the time during impact).

I am a first hand witness of high speed impact during an accident and its effect on the helmet and I vouch by the effectiveness of a SHARP rated helmet. I still have that helmet as a reminder of it saving my life. This incident left such an impression on me that I went ahead and bought two more LS2 FF386 helmets.

This stupid law of non-ISI helmets is the epitome of ignorance by the policy makers. If they are so confident of their so called "ISI-standards" then why don't they get it rated by SHARP. This situation is very similar to Maruti Suzuki standards on crash testing. As a precaution I will carry a SHARP rated spare helmet with me while going on long rides in addition to a normal ECE-ISI rated helmet. As soon as I am out of city limits I will swap my normal ECE-ISI rated helmet with an ECE certified SHARP rated one as my personal safety is not an option.

P.S. SHARP Reference Link for LS2 FF386: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/ls2-ff386/
navin_v8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 01:29   #3415
BHPian

Kaizen - Japanese for continuous improvement.
Hence the RF-1400, upgrade from the super successful RF-1200, in Shoei's endeavor to refine perfection.

The box!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_155333.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_155638.jpg

Unboxing!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_155711.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_155737.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_155900.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_155912.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_160015.jpg

New Chin vent. Easy to open with gloves.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_160048.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_160103.jpg

The center forehead vent is also new & easier to push with gloves.
There are two side vents as well that can't be opened/closed.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_160120.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_160131.jpg

Leather (?) lining, soft & plush. Fully removable

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_170525.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_170537.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_170551.jpg

Vortex generators to reduce noise

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_170604.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_170623.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_170630.jpg

Double-D ring fasteners

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_170956.jpg

The RF1400 follows the same aerodynamic design as the RF1200, and Shoei promises a 6% reduction in lift and a 4% reduction in drag. Uses their most advanced proprietary AIM+ technology in the shell for this lid. Same used in their top-end line up

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_202006.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_202107.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_202039.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_202135.jpg

Manuals, warranty information, and some accessories

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20220211_171121.jpg
P72NX is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 20:49   #3416
BHPian

Didn't realize some part of my post didn't make the edit

Picked up the Shoei RF 1400 at Cyclegear, Miami for about $650
This was size Medium and the last piece they had.
Stocks were very low across the range, and I was lucky to find this one.
(Noticed many stores had gone out of business due to Covid shutdowns)
They had one piece of all designs and most of the big brands.

The helmet is super comfortable. Weights about 1.6 kilos.
Very wide viewing angle, as I had been using the Axor temporarily after picking up my bike. The guys at the store fixed the Pinlock and it works great.

Noise levels are extremely low. The visor locks in place and that makes a difference.
Very airy, even with the front and top adjustable vents closed.

I couldn't get the Revzilla carry bag, and the ones they had were upwards of $70.
Just used the bag it came with and carried it as hand luggage back to Bangalore.
P72NX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 16:43   #3417
BHPian

Hi, what's the advice on getting a Nolan n86? Saw some last stock on clearance at less than 10k in kochi. Feels comfortable, reasonable weight. Mostly going to be used for intercity drives, 100 to 400kms. It's either this or the axor carbon.
No warranty on the Nolan. No spares either. So if anything breaks, I'll have to beg friends abroad.
Interested in your advice. Please oblige.
surfatwork is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 17:41   #3418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfatwork View Post
Hi, what's the advice on getting a Nolan n86? Saw some last stock on clearance at less than 10k in kochi. Feels comfortable, reasonable weight. Mostly going to be used for intercity drives, 100 to 400kms. It's either this or the axor carbon.
No warranty on the Nolan. No spares either. So if anything breaks, I'll have to beg friends abroad.
Interested in your advice. Please oblige.
Please dont buy the Nolan N86. I bought the same helmet when it landed in Cochin and trust me, the helmet that you are looking at has been sitting on shelves for years.

Get something which is new and has the ISI certification. You can find KYT, MT, Axor, SMK etc for reasonable prices and with a wide range of colours.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:13   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Brings back memories of my SHOEI. Very good helmets these are. Even the box design is so premium. On mine, Since it was past its 7 years life, the gumming has parted and I'm not using it anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
Kaizen - Japanese for continuous improvement. Hence the RF-1400, upgrade from the super successful RF-1200, in Shoei's endeavor to refine perfection.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 22:54   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
Picked up the Shoei RF 1400 at Cyclegear, Miami for about $650
Congratulations on this lovely lid. I am using an X-14 and I can totally vouch for the quality, fit and finish of Shoei. Absolutely love their helmets. In addition, personally I just love the way a Shoei fits my head.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks