Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2016, 00:03   #1906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
When I went to buy my MT Blade helmet, the guy had shown me a few LS2s as well. I tried to bargain on the helmet price as I was buying two MT Blade helmets and a saddle bag for my bullet at once. He said, "Sir, with MT I can't reduce a single rupee, I'll give you balaclava as complimentary for each helmet. However that Rs.4500/- worth LS2 I can give for Rs.3800/-"

I said how come you can reduce so much on LS2?

He replied, "Everybody who comes here for MTs, SOLs and HJCs know where do we get LS2s from". Then I thought what they discussed on the thread I had read on xbhp was true after all!!

So, I would advise you to stay away from LS2 even if you extend your budget. You might not be getting original stuff. I don't know much about Axor except that it is premium quality helmet from Vega. And Kranos seems to be a decent helmet as well. I have seen few KTM riders wearing them but never used them though.

So i guess the LS2 helmet which i had bought for 3,500 rupees is fake, realizing this after a year of purchase, though.
Old 7th February 2016, 14:46   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I am in market to buy a reasonably good helmet for riding my TB500 and tried few here in Kochi. LS2 appealed me due to its comfort but staying away based on latest updates. They quoted INR 4200 and I did not negotiate as not decided whether to buy or not.

Also tried Axor from Vega but was not as comfortable as LS2. It looks similar and priced very competitively INR 2600 here. DOT certified too.

Waiting to try Kranos tomorrow at DJ Helmets Edappally, Kochi being the only dealer here.

Last edited by jacs : 7th February 2016 at 14:49.
Old 7th February 2016, 15:31   #1908
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Hey neil, I use the CL-17 too and wind noise is surprisingly higher than my LS2. Will the ear plugs help? do they block too much noise? And which ear plugs did you use?
I have found that ear plugs are the easiest workaround to wind noise and they do a very effective job. A fellow forum member picked up a set for Rs 10 a piece from a safety store that stocked fire extinguishers, hard hats etc: They make a huge difference especially when you do long distance highway rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Waiting to try Kranos tomorrow at DJ Helmets Edappally, Kochi being the only dealer here.
I recall DJ having more MTs than Kranos helmets in stock when I visited in December. AutoQueen (opp Kaloor bus stand) was supposed to received new SOL models as well in January so thats worth checking out before you finalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Besides other factors, your head shape vs helmet head shape and of course if you have the correct sized helmet pretty much defines how quiet a helmet is. If someone with an oval head shape (for example) is wearing a helmet with a rather round profile, like most HJCs and GMax; the helmet's gonna be loud once on the move
Quote:
Please do not simply go for a helmet simply because someone says its quiet. It may be quiet for one, cyclone like for another. And this is applicable for the cheapest and the most expensive helmets alike
Im quoting a user review on the expensive HJC RPHA 10 helmet on Revzilla that I read yesterday, for the benefit of forum members to highlight this important point.

"I want to like the helmet, but apparently with my head shape it is extremely loud. Wind noise just channels right up to the bottom of my ears. Even with ear plugs it is almost unbearable.
If I "shrug" my shoulders it goes dead quite or if I wear my beleclauva with earplugs.
Apart from that it is a nice helmet. It is a little snug against my cheeks but I don't dare to order thinner pads as I fear the noise would be worse. (If that's possible)
I've ridden a couple thousand miles with it with temps ranging from 95 down to about 28 and bright sun and pouring rain. (Midwest) I keeps my head cool when needed and warm with all vents closed and curtain installed. The pinlock insert works great!
Double check head shape and size! Other than that it's a great helmet!
"
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 16:36   #1909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
So i guess the LS2 helmet which i had bought for 3,500 rupees is fake, realizing this after a year of purchase, though.
But again, I have seen my friends using LS2s for almost a year and these helmets don't show any qualities of being cheap/fake. I feel they are still good helmets but the problem is some are locally manufactured ignoring some of the specs. Its just mental thought that - we might have bought some stuff which is actually something else.

Rumor has it that original LS2s stock is being mixed with fake ones and the fake ones are such good replicas that it's hard to make out the difference. And not all LS2 sold are fake.

So, if I had bought an LS2 without knowing about the racket, I would still confidently use it as long as I feel I need a new one, without worrying whether its original or fake.
Old 7th February 2016, 21:27   #1910
BHPian

The dainese store in Orion mall is having their anniversary sale till this Friday, discounts range from 10-50%, I picked up a K3 helmet with sun and moon graphics, criteria being ability for Bluetooth speakers, also gloves, pants and boots, check out if you are interested.

Last edited by ampere : 7th February 2016 at 22:57. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 8th February 2016, 09:09   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I recall DJ having more MTs than Kranos helmets in stock when I visited in December. AutoQueen (opp Kaloor bus stand) was supposed to received new SOL models as well in January so thats worth checking out before you finalize.
Thanks Neil. In fact I took a spin around Edappally Kaloor route where most of the shops are located and sadly none were open on Sunday

I shall be checking out AutoQueen this week along with a friend who is also upgrading to a light weight helmet. Heard they have stock of some Carbon-fiber ones weighing just below 1000g. Any clue?
Old 8th February 2016, 09:33   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard they have stock of some Carbon-fiber ones weighing just below 1000g. Any clue?
Below 1000 gms? It can only mean one of the two:

- They are exaggerating
- Its an Mx helmet, not street
Old 8th February 2016, 10:01   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Neil. In fact I took a spin around Edappally Kaloor route where most of the shops are located and sadly none were open on Sunday

I shall be checking out AutoQueen this week along with a friend who is also upgrading to a light weight helmet. Heard they have stock of some Carbon-fiber ones weighing just below 1000g. Any clue?
Sunday is a day of rest in Cochin I share Urban Nomad's skepticism on the claimed weight assuming we are talking about a proper full face helmet. I have seen a couple of carbon fibre ones IIRC, one was a LS2.

Here are a couple of links that show what carbon fibre helmets actually weigh

http://www.superbike.co.uk/product-r...fibre-helmets/

https://rideapart.com/articles/top-7...mets-available

Last edited by neil.jericho : 8th February 2016 at 10:02.
Old 8th February 2016, 19:51   #1914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey thank you! This helmet has the goods! Did you get the goggles, neck liner, and the hinge kit as well? Very sweet that the goggles and neckliner come in the box.

When did you get it and what model year is it? Any pictures?

And finally what did you pay for it?
I bought the helmet last year and received everything you mention except the hinge kit which I believe was released after I bought the helmet. I've never really bothered to take pictures of it (except when it's hanging on the bike's mirror ).

I paid 30k INR when I bought it, and was lucky that it was on discount then. I believe that the prices are now INR 34k - do check the highnoteperformance website for options etc.
Old 8th February 2016, 19:58   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Any idea where I can get a helmet customised? I was thinking of turning my old lid into a showpiece by getting it painted like the great Joey Dunlop's helmet.
I contacted Eimor customs here in Hyderabad and they quoted a frankly ridiculous ₹5,000!
If I can find someplace that will do it for a fair price then I was thinking of getting more lids painted in the liveries of racers of yesteryear. Should look pretty cool sitting on a shelf!
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1454941698.628428.jpg
Old 9th February 2016, 13:09   #1916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below 1000 gms? It can only mean one of the two:

- They are exaggerating
- Its an Mx helmet, not street

Quote:
I share Urban Nomad's skepticism on the claimed weight assuming we are talking about a proper full face helmet. I have seen a couple of carbon fibre ones IIRC, one was a LS2.

Here are a couple of links that show what carbon fibre helmets actually weigh
Man - Shocked to see the prices and still their realistic weights. I am visiting them this Thursday positively and shall update here.

Another interesting thing is the price range of LS2, got quotes ranging from 4100 to 4900 for the same model from various shops which again makes me feel the news on replicas are true
Old 9th February 2016, 13:19   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, looking to replace my daily helmet - a Cross helmet. I was looking online at Kronos and they seem very VFM. How are the prices these days? Around the 3.5k mark?
Details and pictures of Kronos are given here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3816848

Nearly three months of use (one long distance trip) update -

Fitting is snug - cheek pads didn't compress / flatten much.

Stability at high speeds - good

Removal and washable - good

Wind noise - top vents extremely noisy beyond 70+ kmph

Visibility - not to my comfort; for city driving it is a bit of a bother, because even after adjusting both rear view mirrors, there are blind spots and needs more than a glance across your shoulder.

Visor - removal and refit needs to be done with care; but clarity of vision is excellent.

Overall, VFM.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 14:49   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Details and pictures of Kronos are given here......

Overall, VFM.
Yes, had read your post and thanks for the review. Will try and get one here in a few weeks time.
Old 9th February 2016, 20:51   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have found that ear plugs are the easiest workaround to wind noise and they do a very effective job

Absolutely! I have woken up to the concept of using ear plugs very recently and its an absolute revelation. No exaggeration, it is as quiet as the Bhilai temple inside my helmet Bell RS 1

Wind noise is good as gone, even at triple digit speeds; while ambient sounds such as horns are easily audible. Definitely recommended
Old 10th February 2016, 09:46   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
concept of using ear plugs very recently and its an absolute revelation. No exaggeration,
I need serious suggestions on this "Wind Noise" business!

If you remember I had whined about the pressure point on my forehead with the Shoei?

Ok -- here is a small update. It was perhaps the seating position on the Fatboy that was creating the pressure point on one side of the forehead.

I used the same Shoei on my Multistrada - and rode about 400 plus KMS -- very very minute amount of pressure felt.

The real problem now is -- WIND NOISE! Damn thing roars inside the helmet. inspite of it sitting snug on me.

So any theories?

Solution I guess is : Go Arai! LoL!

Most Viewed