Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 19:52   #1786
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Guys who wear specs, how do you manage with snug fitting helmets? I am planning something on the 250-300$ range and almost all are very snug. Experience any difficulty?
Recently bought a SOL helmet. Bought the M size and its a really snug fit. No issues with the spectacles. Takes just a bit more time to wear them properly once the helmet is worn and removing them carefully before removing the helmet.
I have the dual visor variant and the inner visor also works like a charm and helps a lot when riding in sunlight! No problems with the spectacles either.
Old 4th August 2015, 16:09   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Guys who wear specs, how do you manage with snug fitting helmets? I am planning something on the 250-300$ range and almost all are very snug. Experience any difficulty?
To wear spectacles comfortably you have to make sure the padding is soft, like what you get in SOL or MT, and not hard, like the one in AGV/HJC helmets. I once wore an HJC RPHA for some half an hour, and the pressure of the goggle on my temples gave me a severe headache.
Old 5th August 2015, 07:55   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Does anyone have experience with Shark S700 or above and Scorpion Exo 500/1100 helmets? I am looking at one that has internal visor. Around 250-300$.
Old 5th August 2015, 12:31   #1789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with Shark S700 or above and Scorpion Exo 500/1100 helmets? I am looking at one that has internal visor. Around 250-300$.
One of my lid is a Shark S700 Stipple. One awesome helmet it is. I find it much more comfortable (may be I have broken in properly in it) than my Shoei GT Air Wanderer (used it on 2-3 medium to short ride and 1 long ride to Kanyakumari when the helmet was very new and almost died of pressure point on my forehead - lol)

Good Internal Sunvisor quality - One thing I noticed was - with the Internal sun visor down - I felt my bike is taller than it actually is. Needs some time to get used to it. But otherwise an super-awesome piece of lid it is!

hope this helps.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 16:10   #1790
BHPian

Just finished my first ride with my Nolan N104. I gave up trying to find a new shield for my Vemar and decided to look for a new helmet. I wanted a modular that did well on the SHARP tests and had good venting as well as low noise.

I considered the HJC Symax 3 (Rs15,000), the Bell Revolver Evo (16,000), MT Optimus and briefly, the SOL SM1.

After checking out the quality of the SOL and MT at AH Helmets, I was disappointed as the vent on the MT broke off while the dealer was showing it to me and he said he'd just fevikwik it and it would be fine. That put me off his entire lot of helmets as I didn't want a helmet that had been fevikwiked.

Next, checked out the HJC and while it was nice, the SHARP rating showed the chin bar opened up in a whopping 60% of the impacts. No way.

A friend said he wasn't very happy with his Bell Revolver and so that put the helmet out of my list, especially since I couldn't try it out.

Finally, I was disappointed and briefly considered just getting an HJC CL17 full face and calling it a day. A friend suggested a look at the Nolan.

I went to the official dealer for India, a chap called Ultimate Auto Impex in Mumbai and he had a stock of N86 and N104 helmets in Stock. I tried on the 104 and the liner felt so plush that I didn't feel like taking it off. I finally did and told him I'd let him know in a day or two. The next day, I asked him what the best deal was and he offered 15% off the 28,000 MRP. I checked Amazon and this was even cheaper than the best deal there ($404, not including shipping, customs duty).

I got the lid last week and rode 500 km this weekend with it. I used it in rain and in sunshine, and on the highway and in both Mumbai and Pune.

First the pros:
+The liner is simply superbly comfortable. Feels like a bed for my head. Plush, clean smelling (OK, maybe initially only).
+The field of view is amazing. I've never had such a wide visor before.
+The top vent WORKS. Feel the breeze inside with the vent open.
+The speaker pockets make using an intercom easier, without pressure on your ears.
+Super silent, with the vents closed. I thought my exhausts had gotten muted when I wore it and I didn't have any wind noise even at highway speeds
+Waterproof. Was caught in a torrential downpour in Lonavla and my head stayed dry despite the vents being open.

The cons
- Slight whistle coming from the left hand side. Goes away if I put my hand on the chin bar.
-Sun shield visor isn't dark enough. Can't handle the super bright mid-day glare.
-The chin vent doesn't seem to do anything except introduce bugs into the helmet
-The vents really need a mesh shield to keep bugs out. I had a fly inside my helmet twice and had to open the visor for them to get blown away

Pictures

After fixing my Sena intercom. It looked complicated but I just watched the video on how to fix the NCom system and used that for my sena Smh10
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1440412597916.jpgWhich Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1440412616874.jpg
Front view
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1440412634715.jpg
Inside.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1440412649194.jpgWhich Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1440412664794.jpg
djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 18:10   #1791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Just finished my first ride with my Nolan N104.
Congratulations.. I too had N104 on my list but couldn't buy since there wasn't even a single piece available in Delhi/NCR last year. Finally settled for Shark Evoline 3.
I too experience wind noise from left side and it goes away if I cup Sena 20s with my fist..
AlokSriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 22:31   #1792
BHPian

Does anybody here use an MT Blade? I had one, used it, no problems, until I dropped it like an idiot. Replaced it with another Blade, but now everytime I go above 75, I get a lot of wind noise. I'm not sure if my previous Blade didn't have any wind noise and I never noticed it, or its just something I've begun to pay attention to now. What makes it worse, is the left side of the visor has a slight gap to the shell. The right side as you can see is sealed shut. So can anyone attach pictures of their Blade from an identical angle, and please weigh in with your experiences on insulation and wind noise. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-144095371974977865931.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-144095375319346725552.jpg  

Old 31st August 2015, 09:56   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Does anybody here use an MT Blade.....
Simply dropping a helmet does not warrant a change IMO. Please lookup a video on this very thread on jay Leno n his helmets. He had a spokesperson from Arai next to him who confirmed that just dropping the helmet from, let's say the tank of the bike; does not warrant a change of lids. There need to be some mass inside the helmet (your head) for the opposing forces to deform the protective materials inside

On the subject of wind noise, I recommend seeing the seller n claim a replacement if something is indeed wrong, before trying any jugaad to fix it yourself
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 11:57   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Simply dropping a helmet does not warrant a change IMO. Please lookup a video on this very thread on jay Leno n his helmets. He had a spokesperson from Arai next to him who confirmed that just dropping the helmet from, let's say the tank of the bike; does not warrant a change of lids. There need to be some mass inside the helmet (your head) for the opposing forces to deform the protective materials inside

On the subject of wind noise, I recommend seeing the seller n claim a replacement if something is indeed wrong, before trying any jugaad to fix it yourself
Thank you for your response. The shell itself wasn't damaged, the visor mechanism snapped. Called a few sellers, and they said replacement mechanisms aren't available. Tried some araldite jugaad to fix it, but on the next ride I noticed significant buffetting and wind noise.
Went for a new helmet for peace of mind.
KhalDrogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 20:43   #1795
BHPian

Any idea if MT Revenge is still available? I am looking at changing my daily commuter helmet. MT Revenge is the cheapest helmet with 5* SHARP rating. That made me consider it.
Old 10th September 2015, 22:15   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Any idea if MT Revenge is still available? I am looking at changing my daily commuter helmet. MT Revenge is the cheapest helmet with 5* SHARP rating. That made me consider it.
MT Revenge has been discontinued. I suggest you try MT Blade sv raceline, very comfortable and light weight, perfect for daily use. Could not find sharp rating for this but is dot certified. Cost 5,650 INR absolute VFM.
Old 10th September 2015, 22:45   #1797
BHPian

Need help on buying a decent helmet. Has anyone bought a helmet from ebay online? Need your opinion about the items in the following link

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=...lmets&_sacat=0

Are the prices reasonable? Are these items original?

What are the best options in the 2K to 4K range?
Old 11th September 2015, 10:05   #1798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunkb View Post
Need help on buying a decent helmet. Has anyone bought a helmet from ebay online? Need your opinion about the items in the following link

http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_from=...lmets&_sacat=0

Are the prices reasonable? Are these items original?

What are the best options in the 2K to 4K range?
I would strongly suggest not to buy a helmet online before you've tried it. Helmets are not like jackets or pants, even little problems with fitting can lead to huge problems while riding.

I would also suggest staying away from LS2, too many fakes out there to tell what's right and what's not.

In the 2k-4k range, you have plenty of options in MT and SOL. Go to the nearest reputed shop you can find and try them before you buy them.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 12:44   #1799
Senior - BHPian

I was planning on buying a new helmet for my wife for two reasons :
1. She was using an helmet which she had bought earlier without trying it on and it used to always wobble around her head and the visor was broken
2. The quality of the helmet was also not good and since she drives almost 6 days a week I was looking for one sturdy, good ventilation and also little lighter.

All open face or half faced helmets were out of equation and didnt want to buy online as would not want to again buy a wrong size. So since yesterday being a holiday finally both of us went to JC road. After trying few of them she liked one from vega. I do not think that its sturdy but I believe its not bad. Checked the reviews as well and its not bad. Here is the image of the helmet which I bought.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-clfk1vega58cmcliff1100x1100imae3wwfhxhr3v2f.jpeg

I also got the dark tinted visor changed to a normal one along with the inside foam of the helmet. Feels fresh and good now to drive.
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:56   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Kranos - Out of the Box!

Was in need of a new helmet.

Did not want to cut corners, and had considered only those above Rs. 5,000/-.

Must have features : removable liners, air vents, spares availability and clear visor.

MT and LS2 were the choices - in fact thought, buy two (lesser spec for daily & high end for highway / long drive)

Initial survey yielded poor results. Not many models on display nor pricing transparent. Sports goods shops barely know the details.

As yesterday was a holiday, spent some time (along with assortment of minor work to be done on the bike and the car )

Had a few shops shortlisted, of which one was closed.

Went to the next one (details below), where there was a good collection - Studds, Vega, Steelbird, MT, LS2 etc.

Owner was a young man, polite and gave me plenty of space to try out the various models. Few models of LS2 with the features I wanted was available as low as Rs. 4,500/-!. MT was costing above Rs. 5,000/-.

Then, he offered - KRONOS from Spartan. Initially was reluctant (wanted to buy the Studds for daily use and come back to buy the MT later)

But looking at the MRP sticker and the features plus the ATGATT on the box , decided to go for it for daily use (cost is Rs. 3,350/-). I was told it will be good for high way also. He recommended a LS2 (costing about Rs. 15,000/-, which left me wondering why it is being depreciated by so many?) as one of the best safety helmets.

KRONOS pictures below.

Liked the double d ring (though will take some time to fasten / unfasten the helmet), the clear visor, nose guard, soft liners.

Dislike - the inner foam packing is badly finished (can see finger indentation in the pictures), slightly difficult mechanism of the visor for removal / refit, apparently lighter shell.

The shop where the purchase took place was -
MotoCentral
346 Nana Peth, Hindmata Chowk

Landmark - Lane Opp to BPCL petrol bunk

Overall had a pleasant shopping experience. The MRP and rates quoted was contrary to Nana Peth! No additional charge on card payment. Felt good talking to someone who is knowledgeable. Shop has other riding gear also.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-box1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-box2.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-box3.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-cover.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-front.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-back.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-label.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-side-1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-inside-liner.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-inside-wo-liner.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-top.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-liners.jpg