Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2015, 19:21   #1726
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post

By the way which helmet are you using mate? I read your thread on the Kwacker Z800 and it said MT Revenge. Kindly share your experience.
Yes mate Wish everyone thought about consequences of what they are doing and what might be the impact of the risks involved.

Well, 12GB Ram is almost filled up during my researches Love the feature that Chrome restarts from where I had left off last time

Yup. I have been using the Revenge for almost a year now, since it came out in our market. It is a super snug helmet that is built pertty well but there are blemishes on the pain and with impacts, the paint may chip off with time. I have one little chip that is in my wallet ready to be glued back with fevicol.

The liners are pretty decent but the one with the visor (blade) has better ones. Aerodynamically it is great but once you are going past the 140 mark, there is a storm brewing inside. The helmet is very snug in the first few weeks and takes good time to break in. Many complain to pain in the head and ears. Luckily I have super flexible ears and the fit is great for me. I did face a bit of pain the jaw in the 1st few weeks of prolonged wearing but,now, it is just a perfect fit. Does not budge an inch and feels secured. It is pretty light as well, at around 1450 gms.

Other than noise and buffeting at very high speeds and a not so perfect stock visor optics (Iridium visor felt perfect optically) along with fiddly vent switches, I would say they are brilliant for the price if they fit !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 07:53   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Where can I buy Bell helmets in India? Any pointers would be helpful !

There's this website I saw, however looks like it is incomplete; Link: Bell Helmets India

They have a facebook page as well, Bell Moto Helmets India
Its available at Bangalore - Bikingspirit, St Marks Road. Near Trimph Showroom.
santhoshs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 21:01   #1728
BHPian

A few days ago, I wrote on helmets after an interesting conversation on FB with a newcomer to the world of big bikes- I share my views on how to buy a good helmet thru this story.

Innocent query on Motorcycle Safety

Everyday in the morning, I must admit that I admire Dr M Watsa- and the unique queries he gets- innocent, yet so hilarious- and then today a dear friend Tony reminded me that I had just such a query waiting for me on my favorite topic- safety on motorcycles.
Here it is-

From a gent named AG-
"Hi guys, i have an issue and i need help with it.. My dad does not believe i need a good helmet like a Harley or something else... I have a vega modular helmet.... I usually tape the openings, with electrical tape, of that helmet because it gives me too much wind noise.... For long runs... Also at higher speeds the helmet tends to pull upwards... The aerodynamics is horrible.... So i usually tighten the strap quite a bit.... He says that there is no such thing as a good helmet... And that i should ride slowly if that the wind is concerned. I said that city helmets are fine for vega n all... But the for 800km runs i require something robust. He is not a biker nor has he ever ridden one.. He requires proof with the difference between this helmet and the good ones out there.... Can anyone help me out? I also want proper riding gear for long runs..."
And my reply-

"AG- I assume that your post is taken in all its seriousness_
Here is a good riot act on safety wear and why.
1. Wear gloves so that when you fall in a parking lot due to gravel, or due to someone spilling diesel in a petrol pump, you don't skin your palms- and then your nurse does not have to feed you at home, nor your other male nurse have to give you a bath till your skin grows.
These events are a speed of '0 kmph'
2. Riding pants and jackets have armour in the form or padding or inserts which are meant to deform on impact or abrasion/heat, therefore protecting your joints from serious injury. This also means that when you get hit from behind by an errant rider, your fall and skin- are both protected by your gear, your elbows, your rear, your knees and spine are in better shape- enabling you to walk away-
again note that the accidents mentioned here happened at 5kmph
3. Helmets protect your brain- period. Without it, you are nothing.
Good quality helmets are usually functional in the sense that they have good ventilation built into them, better quality visors for your vision, good quality D-rings or snap-fits for latches, cheek pads for firmer fit, and a good fit around the head.
This prevents or reduces to a great extent the issues you mentioned- wind noise and helmet riding up-

As regards buying better helmets- please tell your father that a Maruti 800 (may it RIP) and a S class do the same job- getting you there- wherever. The S will give you better safety features and its the same for helmets as well.
Nothing about safety here is about speed- while riding on the Kaas Plateau I was caught in a gust of wind that took me on a meeting with a rock- my helmet saved my life as many here will attest... my speed was 35kmph. The wind that causes your helmet to 'rise' is due to a) poor aerodynamics and b) poor fit.
You need to please find and wear 5-7 kinds of helmets, that fit your forehead snug, and literally fit tight on your cheeks- so tight that you should not be able to chew gum while wearing it (thats a bad idea in any case)- so that at speeds upto 130-145- your helmet stays on, firm and not a hazard to your life, and to those riding with you.
Good Helmets like the Nola N63 start at about 15/16K and run all the way upto the SHOEI-GT Air at $700, or the ARAI-RX-V or Corsair-V Limited Editions for about $900...

Last edited by aah78 : 28th May 2015 at 18:42. Reason: Removing link to blog.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2015, 00:00   #1729
BHPian

Good helmets start at 15k? His father will get further scared. A decent well rated, ece +dot +sharp 5*,helmet start off from 5k which is very protective and will do good with noise and buffeting upto 140 as well.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2015, 12:29   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Good Helmets like the Nola N63 start at about 15/16K and run all the way upto the SHOEI-GT Air at $700, or the ARAI-RX-V or Corsair-V Limited Editions for about $900...
If the gentleman's father thinks a vega is superb, then the helmets and prices that have been posted would make his father sell the bike.

I had bought my HJC CL 16 for 11k, there were cheaper costing HJC helmets too. Airoh and KYT also have helmets in the below 10k range.

If the person is on a budget Rjays is what can be looked into for the riding jacket and pants.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 19:57   #1731
BHPian

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-20...-standards.htm

Quite a read ! Loads of information on the safety standards. Reading the method makes you feel safer with your helmet.
Old 16th May 2015, 12:39   #1732
BHPian

I think its only a misconception that only expensive helmets are good or that more expensive the helmet is, it offers more protection, many a times we end up paying just for the brand. But its also true that brand bring certain amount of assurance about quality. But basically if a helmet is ISI , DOT or ECE approved and if your are sure that its genuine irrespective of price it should offer good protection.

Last edited by Sid13 : 16th May 2015 at 12:41. Reason: Spelling correction
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2015, 15:16   #1733
BHPian

I don't think that more money will get you a 'safer' helmet as they can be only as safe as the ratings are and even if they are, we cannot measure it. UK sharp and ACU does a good job of ranking helmets that way and we know more than just that it has passed a certification.

However, what you do get, for the price, is comfort, noiselessness, lighter weight, ease of use and everything that makes your ride more pleasurable in plenty. At the end of the day, a more comfortable rider is safer than one in discomfort.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 11:14   #1734
Senior - BHPian

Got myself a new helmet: LS2 FF351, costed me 3950/- in Pune. Its a full face helmet in a black and white color scheme. Though it feels a bit heavy, the fitting is quite good and comes with a nice lining.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20150528_111200.jpg  

neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 07:41   #1735
BHPian

Hey Guys

Ok so i have a LS2 helmet. The bluetooth one. I did not buy, was handed over to me by my wife. Basically to be in touch. I use it mostly in the city. And have used it for one of my rides with friends.

Observations on the LS2.

- I have a Icon Ghost carbon and have ordered a AGV AX-8 naked Carbon, which i fit snug in a medium. LS2 is only available with what i have come across, in large only. That itself is a concern. When trying out the helmet, most helmets feel tight when you buy them new off the shelf. And after a period of time and when they break in, is when you realise that you should have got a size smaller. I faced this issue while riding towards Charoti. The helmet would marginally slide down on my brow. Now this is seriously dangerous.

- At high speeds my head was bobbing quite a bit. Had to force myself to be steady. While with good helmets, the airflow creates the necessary stability as long as you are in the right position.

- Finally the weight and noise. It is heavy. And after 4 hours of riding i could feel the weight. Basically an amalgamation of weight and bad aerodynamics at play i guess. Plus that thing is noisy. Again this could be because of the fit as well. If it was tighter may be it would not have been that noisy.

- On paper the ratings are fine. So i am assuming it is safe in an unfortunate crash scenario. But then if it does not fit you right whatever the rating be it's never going to be safe. Need to have an entire range of sizes available asap. Its like a Big Bazaar T shirt as of now, one size fits all.

So all in all would use this helmet in the city and nothing else. On the open road i'd rather use something which is better designed and fits better. The variables are too high, so as to risk your head. Considering AGV and Nolan are available locally, why not check those out as well. Even i f it's going to cost say 10k, it pays of in a year worth of usage.
Old 29th May 2015, 10:34   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Hey Guys

Ok so i have a LS2 helmet. The bluetooth one.
I have a feeling your observations of weight, wind resistance and buffeting, all of them, have got to do with the fact that it does not fit you. The center of mass shifts = feeling of heaviness and neck stress. Moves around = more resistance to wind and Buffeting is obvious due to the fit.

Suggest you to try a balaclava to make the helmet feel a little better. Maybe a couple of them

@Added_flavour suggested me the balaclava for the buffeting issue I faced with my MT Revenge at higher speeds and that seems to have resolved the issue quite a bit.
Old 29th May 2015, 10:40   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
I have a feeling your observations of weight, wind resistance and buffeting, all of them, have got to do with the fact that it does not fit you. The center of mass shifts = feeling of heaviness and neck stress. Moves around = more resistance to wind and Buffeting is obvious due to the fit.

Suggest you to try a balaclava to make the helmet feel a little better. Maybe a couple of them

@Added_flavour suggested me the balaclava for the buffeting issue I faced with my MT Revenge at higher speeds and that seems to have resolved the issue quite a bit.

Hey.
I did use a balaclava. Still it was all over the place re. My whole problem with it is, if they have authorised dealers in India, Then it's absolutely imperative that they supply various sizes. Is it lethargy at the manufacturers end or dealers only they know.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 29th May 2015, 11:20   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
Hey.
I did use a balaclava. Still it was all over the place re. My whole problem with it is, if they have authorised dealers in India, Then it's absolutely imperative that they supply various sizes. Is it lethargy at the manufacturers end or dealers only they know.

Cheers
Rahul
Probably because people would either way buy them whether it fits them or not. A little loose or a little tight is hardly a concern for the ignorant. My first helmet could fit a hand with my head so you know what I mean !!!
Old 2nd June 2015, 10:59   #1739
BHPian

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a helmet to replace my Vemar Eclipse Lion (primarily coz I can't find new visors). It's an awesome helmet but without a visor, its pretty useless.

I was hoping to find a helmet that flows air well. The problem with most helmets is that they're not designed for Indian humidity.

I was thinking of getting the Icon Airmada, but I want to hear anyone's experiences before plonking down the cash. Anything else that flows air well and would be comfortable in traffic? Or should I just use my modular LS2 for the moment and use my one spare Vemar visor solely for highway rides?
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:04   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I was hoping to find a helmet that flows air well. The problem with most helmets is that they're not designed for Indian humidity.

I was thinking of getting the Icon Airmada, but I want to hear anyone's experiences before plonking down the cash.
More the vents on a helmet, better the ventilation and air flow. However wind noise significantly rises with open vents while riding.

For reviews, check this link.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed