Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2015, 07:28   #1696
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
With my recent fall, I need to get myself a new helmet and I thought I will stick to HJC since it served me well. I was doing a bit of research on their model lines and was looking at their FG and RPHA 10 offerings but Lets Gear Up doesnt have any helmets and X Torque in HSR only had LS2s and some other brand. It looks as though PRS is importing the next consignment sometime in May and by my guess, the store in Bangalore should have new stock by June. Anyone with first hand experience of using the RPHA 10 helmets? Assuming PRS does import these, I would love to get myself either of the following DOT, SNELL and ECE22.05 approved helmets that should retail for around Rs 30,000.
My Vote is for "Jorge Lorenzo Replica"; looks smashing.

If I were you, I would go with HJC not just because of the looks, but for the simple fact that you did not even realize that your head hit (during your fall) till the time you saw your helmet later, that says a lot about the quality as well.
Chida is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 10:31   #1697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
With my recent fall, I need to get myself a new helmet and I thought I will stick to HJC since it served me well. I was doing a bit of research on their model lines and was looking at their FG and RPHA 10 offerings but Lets Gear Up doesnt have any helmets and X Torque in HSR only had LS2s and some other brand. It looks as though PRS is importing the next consignment sometime in May and by my guess, the store in Bangalore should have new stock by June. Anyone with first hand experience of using the RPHA 10 helmets? Assuming PRS does import these, I would love to get myself either of the following DOT, SNELL and ECE22.05 approved helmets that should retail for around Rs 30,000.

I have been using HJC RPHA10 monster energy ben spies replica since 3 years and have ridden roughly around 25k kms including couple of long rides(800-900 kms per day).The liner still feels new.

Even after 3 years i totally love this helmet.It feels very comfortable, light and very much stable at high speeds.The wind noise is very very less compared to the agv K3 and agv k4.Ventilation is very good too.I paid around 27k for the helmet including a dark visor and couple of pin lock inserts(directly from revzilla).

One of my friend who used to have a shoei recently picked the new rpha10 and totally loves it and will anyday pick hjc over the shoei he has.
I highly recommend this helmet to any one who is looking in this budget
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 15:19   #1698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Also what is your feedback regarding the safety of the helmet. I've heard that Kranos is an MT brand so I guess the DOT and ECE certification should be genuine. Or at least I hope so!
Your timely inputs are much appreciated.
Snehal, from what I understood, Spartan Pro Gear (SPG) which imports MT helmets has tied up with them to produce the Kranos line under the SPG name with the same safety levels as that of the regular MT helmet range. I havent seen one myself so I dont know what is the actual difference between the two helmets (safety, padding, sizing, D ring vs clip on etc) but try reaching out to them over email / phone to get a better picture. The MT Revenge gets a 5* SHARP rating and the MT Thunder gets a 4* SHARP rating so if you can stretch your budget a bit you can safely pick either the Revenge or Thunder and get complete peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I have been using HJC RPHA10 monster energy ben spies replica since 3 years and have ridden roughly around 25k kms including couple of long rides(800-900 kms per day).The liner still feels new.

I highly recommend this helmet to any one who is looking in this budget
Great review, exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for. Thanks a lot harsha.muvva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chida View Post
My Vote is for "Jorge Lorenzo Replica"; looks smashing.

If I were you, I would go with HJC not just because of the looks, but for the simple fact that you did not even realize that your head hit (during your fall) till the time you saw your helmet later, that says a lot about the quality as well.
I am leaning towards the HJC as well, my only concern is waiting and then potentially finding out that they havent imported any RPHA10s in which case my window of opportunity to get the XLite would have come and gone. I forgot to mention, there are some AGVs as well (along with the Nolans and XLites) including some K3s and a sun moon AGV Grid which is DOT and ECE certified.

Name:  AGVGrindSunMoonHelmet2012LG.3.gif
Views: 12106
Size:  104.4 KB

Till I get my new lid I will be riding around with my old MPA AGV which I am not too keen on so its a big toss up right now.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 22:19   #1699
Distinguished - BHPian

I called up Performance Racing Store, the official importer of HJC helmets in India to ask about the arrival and availability of the next batch of helmets. They confirmed that they have an order of 800 helmets coming in by the end of May and it will take one week for the stock to reach their retailers. I also enquired about the model ranges that they are importing and they said it will consist of the CL16, the Blade, the limited edition Speed Machine and one more which I didnt catch. The full RPHA 10 Plus series will come in with the next shipment which has put to rest my plans for the Lorenzo replica.

The CL16 is the predecessor of the CL17 which has done well in India. It may be a move to help bring down prices and make the helmets more affordable to the masses.

Google tells me that the Blade is a model under the HJC TR1 series which has received only a 2* SHARP rating. It doesnt show under the current product line on HJC s website so maybe it too is an older model. It is available with some online retailers though.

The Speed Machine is part of the RPHA 10 Plus range which retails for Rs 40,000 on the PRS FB page as compared to the other RPHA 10 Plus Lorenzo helmets that are for Rs 32,000 ( the ones from my earlier post). The regular RPHA 10 Plus helmets are listed at Rs 30,000. I tried to dig up the differences between these helmets other than the paint schemes but couldnt find anything and I sure am not paying an additional Rs 8K just for the Speed Machine graphics. For the record, Motorcycle superstore and Revzilla have the Speed Machine and Lorenzo helmets at the same cost ($ 496 to $ 500).

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-a986a21f7687cc7a3727c607d2bcfb5d.jpg
SPEED MACHINE
Old 28th April 2015, 23:22   #1700
Senior - BHPian

^^ check this out:

http://www.compacc.com/p/hjc-rpha-10...eplica-helmets

When it comes to buying gear from abroad, always look for closeouts. If a product has been around for a while it will almost always be on a massive closeout.

If you look around more, chances are you might find a better deal. This is the fist link I got by just searching for an rpha closeout

All the best
Old 29th April 2015, 00:35   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Has anyone used AXR Helmets? I am getting a good deal for 5k on the Scorpio range. This fits my budget. Any reviews?
Guys any feedback on AXR Helmets? The specs to be with EPS for around 5.5k
Old 29th April 2015, 09:27   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ check this out:

http://www.compacc.com/p/hjc-rpha-10...eplica-helmets

When it comes to buying gear from abroad, always look for closeouts. If a product has been around for a while it will almost always be on a massive closeout.

If you look around more, chances are you might find a better deal. This is the fist link I got by just searching for an rpha closeout

All the best
Thanks Urban Nomad, unfortunately I havent been able to try the RPHA 10 till now so I dont want to order online. I wear glasses and the CL 17 was a perfect fit with the glasses sliding in easily. The same sized IS 17 (similar to the CL17 but with a sun visor) had me struggling to slide my spectacles in and so I had to settle for the CL 17. Dont want to take a risk with fitting after plonking down that much hard earned money.

I am all for buying from and supporting local vendors as long as they are priced reasonably higher than international sites.
Old 4th May 2015, 13:44   #1703
BHPian

A few days ago I had been to Xtorque to check on the helmets in stock. They had LS2 full face helmets (not sure of the model), but none of these helmets had anything like a DOT, ECE or ISI certification on them. Neither on the outer shell nor was there any tag inside. The sales fellow at the store said that these were probably made in India.
My question is aren't these helmets supposed to come with some kind of certification on them? Are these genuine LS2 helmets?
If these helmets don't come with any kind of certification or printed guarantee that these are genuine and road worthy products, how does a common person like me tell the difference. He quoted Rs.4500.00 for the helmet, but better sense prevailed and I didn't buy it since I was not sure how genuine the helmet was.
Old 4th May 2015, 13:55   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these genuine LS2 helmets?
Where these LS2 helmets are made is anyone's best guess. You made the right decision staying away from it. HJC, MT, Kronos, helmets are available in this price range (+/-). You could also consider SparX, KBC and other brands.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 14:09   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are these genuine LS2 helmets?

He quoted Rs.4500.00 for the helmet
This was the main reason I went ahead and got MT helmet. The main issue with LS2 in India is its authenticity. You won't know if its real of fake unless you test it. Yes some are easily understood as fake, but of the 2-3 shops that I scouted all of them were very difficult to know as fake. The only way I found that they were fakes was by negotiating hard about the price and the shopkeeper reduced from 5400 to 2500 lol!
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 14:40   #1706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My question is aren't these helmets supposed to come with some kind of certification on them? Are these genuine LS2 helmets?
When it comes to LS2, the best thing to do is stay away! The market is flooded with fakes. Dealers make a handsome margin on these by pushing them at the same market rate as the genuine ones. Go for a trusted brand being sold by a trusted dealer. MT helmets are SHARP rated and trusted. HJCs CL 16 range which should hit Bangalore dealers in early June is also DOT and SNELL 2010 certified and I reckon it should retail for around Rs 6,000.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2015, 18:46   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
How has the intial one month of using the helmet been? I plan to buy the same brand of helmet this coming weekend and wanted to know your firsthand usage report on how comfortable it is. Also what is your feedback regarding the safety of the helmet. I've heard that Kranos is an MT brand so I guess the DOT and ECE certification should be genuine. Or at least I hope so!
Your timely inputs are much appreciated.
Was out for a ride so didn't see this. The helmet is nice for what you pay, but don't expect too much. Biggest problem for me is the visor, which not only creates optical trouble, but has a really painful locking system as well, you can completely forget changing the visor mid-ride.

Kranos is NOT an MT brand, it's a Spartan brand. I cannot comment on the DOT and ECE certification, but it feels pretty sturdy, although dangerously light.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 16:57   #1708
Distinguished - BHPian

Nolan Helmets

The hunt for my next helmet became a lot easier when I heard that AutoQueen in Cochin was receiving it's first stock of Nolan helmets over the weekend. Being an old customer of theirs, I called and ensured I got the pick of the litter. The stock comprised of the open faced N20, the unique N44 crossover, the N64 range and the N86 range. They are priced as follows

N20 - Rs 16,000
N64 - Rs 18,000
N86 - Rs 20,000
N44 - Rs 22,000

I picked up this N86 helmet. It comes with an internal sun visor and a pin lock visor. The L sized helmet weighs in at 1460 grams which is lighter than my earlier CL17 (the medium sized CL17 is 1650 grams, cant find the weight of a large sized one on the net). I have only done one day's commute with it so far so I will reserve my feedback till I do some more riding.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036637-large.jpg

I took pictures of the other helmets as well.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036638-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036636-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036642-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036633-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036647-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036634-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036644-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036635-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036631-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036643-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036648-large.jpg
N20
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p5036632-large.jpg
N44
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 13:01   #1709
BHPian

In my experience, all these helmets with air-vents that protrude out of the shell create a lot of turbulence post 140kph or less when there is a lot of head wind.
I would suggest anyone who does not ride sedately to consider aerodynamics as a vital deciding factor too. Buffeting is not just irritating or distracting at high speeds but can also cause blurrred vision at times and can be very dangerous too.

A very informative link about this aspect of a helmet's design:

https://rideapart.com/articles/5-qui...rcycle-helmets

the gist:

"Specifically, it’s turbulence that creates noise. That turbulence can be caused by an anything that disrupts the wind flow. Gap in your visor seal? Huge external vents? Air getting caught under your chin? That’s how a helmet gets noisy. It’s also how you make a helmet quiet, by starting with a shape that allows the air to smoothly reconnect behind the helmet, and eliminating those trouble spots. If you want a quiet helmet, look for a clean, smooth aerodynamic shape free of external vents and wings and which features a quality, adjustable visor seal and closes tightly around your neck".
Old 6th May 2015, 13:52   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
In my experience, all these helmets with air-vents that protrude out of the shell create a lot of turbulence post 140kph or less when there is a lot of head wind.
I have to disagree on this. My HJC, friends Arai, Shoei and AGV all have air vents and we keep them open during our rides. We have not experienced any off the above at any speed.

What the link and what you would be talking off is when someone goes at speeds mentioned by you but does not tuck in but remains upright on the bike.

Most Viewed