Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2016, 12:55   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are there any lightweight half helmets available which could at least be worn for an hour comfortably and which would also provide reasonable protection?
Of course there are. Lots of them according to your choice and budget. But wouldn't he look mighty ridiculous! I hope you understand what his real problem is. He needs counseling.
Old 14th April 2016, 13:26   #1997
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Of course there are. Lots of them according to your choice and budget.
Do you have any recommendations? Maximum of Rs. 5000.

Quote:
But wouldn't he look mighty ridiculous! I hope you understand what his real problem is. He needs counseling.
He has had a life threatening incident - it was quite bad - a little more could have meant brain damage. I think I myself would do something like this if I had a similar incident. I don't see any harm in doing this for 6 months or so - this may be a bridge to reducing the fear.
Old 14th April 2016, 13:35   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations? Maximum of Rs. 5000.

He has had a life threatening incident - it was quite bad - a little more could have meant brain damage. I think I myself would do something like this if I had a similar incident. I don't see any harm in doing this for 6 months or so - this may be a bridge to reducing the fear.
If he's quite paranoid, he can try something like this - http://crasche.com/impact-resistant-...et-alternative
http://crasche.com/special-needs-chi...eadgear-helmet
Can be hidden under normal headwear/cap and its about 30$+shipping.
Or this - http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/05...high-risk.html

But you should definitely read this viewpoint too - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...dangerous.html

Last edited by dkaile : 14th April 2016 at 13:52.
Old 14th April 2016, 13:54   #1999
BANNED

Quote:
If he's quite paranoid, he can try something like this - http://crasche.com/impact-resistant-...et-alternative
http://crasche.com/special-needs-chi...eadgear-helmet
Can be hidden under normal headwear/cap and its about 30$+shipping.
I don't think he will be happy with this. Plus I have heard that something like this may be harmful. Gavaskar wore a skull cap under his sola topi in the last few years of his career. And post his retirement, there was an article that said that this was more dangerous than even wearing just the hat.

That's why I was thinking of a good lightweight half helmet.

Quote:
But you should definitely read this viewpoint too - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...dangerous.html

This is not relevant since he isn't going to be driving. He is in the backseat like I said in my original question.
Old 14th April 2016, 13:58   #2000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This may be a strange question.

My cousin had a bad head(scalp) injury some months back - long deep cut - required a lot of stitches. It was not automobile related. However, he is now quite scared of getting into an accident while in a car. He uses private taxis for outstation trips and sits in the backseat but still wants some protection for his head because of the high speeds on the highway. He has been avoiding outstation trips for a few months because of this but can no longer do so.

Is using a helmet advisable in these cases? What kind of helmet should he use which would be comfortable for long taxi trips but at the same time provide adequate protection. Or is there any better alternative than a helmet for a car back seat passenger which will provide adequate protection.
Please don't take this the wrong way but I think your cousin needs a psychiatric's help in understanding and dealing with his irrational fear.
PTSD is a real issue and a good counselor will really help him out.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 14:03   #2001
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way but I think your cousin needs a psychiatric's help in understanding and dealing with his irrational fear.
PTSD is a real issue and a good counselor will really help him out.
The issue is that his work is suffering because he is not able to travel. We are trying to make him get help - this is a stop gap thing. If he is able to feel comfortable using a helmet, it shouldn't harm him, right?
Old 14th April 2016, 14:09   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If he is able to feel comfortable using a helmet, it shouldn't harm him, right?
Succumbing to his paranoia may do him more harm than good in the long run. One of my friends faced a (a not so similar) mid life crisis paranoia. He was in a very good mid-management job. He used to think he would have a heart attack every time he travelled and there would be no medical assistance available to help him en-route, especially when travelling by air. He had to eventually undergo psychiatric treatment and his problem is nearly completely solved with right mix of medicine and counselling. He is back on his job and travelling abroad by air.

Hope you understand the crux of the issue. Still if you insist, you can always try a Studds half face helmet, secure and just 500 bucks.

Last edited by dkaile : 14th April 2016 at 14:13.
Old 14th April 2016, 14:09   #2003
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The issue is that his work is suffering because he is not able to travel. We are trying to make him get help - this is a stop gap thing. If he is able to feel comfortable using a helmet, it shouldn't harm him, right?
Fix the problem and not the symptom.
What he needs is therapy not a band aid.

Having said that, he can try a bicycle helmet. They are lightweight and don't stop airflow.
http://www.decathlon.in/cycling/cyclist-wear/helmets
Old 15th April 2016, 13:12   #2004
BANNED

Anyone knows a good helmet place in Chembur which would have a good variety of half helmets?

Last edited by carboy : 15th April 2016 at 13:14.
Old 18th April 2016, 15:04   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Took wifey along and got her a Vega Boolean ( modular ) helmet over the weekend. Surprisingly, she never asked for the half face helmet that all the ladies usually prefer. I thought of convincing her with the safety advantages of a full face helmet and then the flexibility of the modular one. But thankfully, din't have to give any lectures or emotional speeches at the shop
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 15:20   #2006
BHPian

I went through this thread and spent quite some time on it while deciding on a new lid. I had an open face vega and a steelbird adonis which work fine for the city but are wobbly and of very average build quality when it comes to highways. I can say this for sure now- do not order helmets based SOLELY on this thread! it MIGHT not fit you and it just isn't worth the time, money and effort to get something that won't. I was all in for the MT range of helmets since the whole thread is gaga over it and rightly so! they are fantastically built helmets that look great and come at a comparatively afforable price, but, as good as they may be, it just wasn't comfortable on my head. The THH on the other hand is like a pillow on my head. Personally, the felt lined inners and the shape of the THH-41 fit me better. Moral of the story- ALWAYS try and buy!
Old 25th April 2016, 22:26   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone own the Arai Vector 2 or the Shoei RF-1200 here? Any feedback will be appreciated. I have a round head, unable to see many options in the mid range helmets in the round shape.
Old 26th April 2016, 09:15   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Are there any lightweight half helmets available which could at least be worn for an hour comfortably and which would also provide reasonable protection?
Try THH Helmets, they have various range of half helmets with DOT approval. There T-380/T-381 range of helmets are light weight and will be available within a price range of 1000 Rs to 2000 Rs.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:56   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Does anyone own the Arai Vector 2 or the Shoei RF-1200 here? Any feedback will be appreciated. I have a round head, unable to see many options in the mid range helmets in the round shape.
Arai's RX-Q lid is supposedly better for round head shapes. Try Nolan as well. I don't know if they have any lids for round head shapes but they come with excellent fit not all models will be sold in the US though.
Old 28th April 2016, 17:46   #2010
Senior - BHPian

As a few members may already know, I decided to learn how to ride a bike back in October last year and in recent times, have ended up buying myself an RC390. Needless to say, the love of biking is not going anywhere anytime soon.

While still learning about bikes, a shocking number of people showed me a whole other world in riding gear. Helmets were no longer Vega or LS2 so the time had come for me to pick a good lid for my mug

Spent days doing research on helmets and what started out as a search for an MT Revenge, went on to become a search for the AGV K3 SV and then onto racing lids with track certification. The Scorpion EXO 2000 became my final decision as it was the cheapest pro helmet out there. Then my friend in Germany who's father owned a store there, was willing to hook me up with some great deals and so I narrowed it down to the HJC RPHA-10 Plus and the Nolan X-Lite X802R going by the few short reviews in English on the internet (Nolan is an Italian company and the X802R does not come with DOT certification so it was very hard to come by any info in english), I decided to take the plunge and go for the Nolan. Mostly because I was impressed to see the guys that were behind its development; Lorenzo, Stoner, Melandri, Checa. Two Moto GP world champions, one 250cc world champion and one Superbike world champion. Impressive to say the least.

Finally arrived a couple of days back and I have to say, I am very impressed. The finish and feel is impeccable and on par with Shoei and Arai. Infact this particular model is also handmade like a few Arai lids. The weight is spot on; you know its got the guts to save you but it doesn't feel heavy one bit (1280 grams). The detail is great too and one can see red mesh deep in the cheek vents to match interior lining. The visor visibility is nice and wide, the helmet fits extremely snug yet manages to feel comfy, all the vents work extremely well and haven't had me sweating just as yet even in the Bangalore summer (although my rides are mostly 20 minutes long). The rear spoiler works well at highway speeds and the interior lining feels amazing on your face. Have not had a chance to try the pinlock visor system yet since I have not yet encountered any weather conditions that require it. Overall I am very pleased since it is all I could wish for in a helmet: light, quality feel inside and out, track certification (ACU gold star rated). Now onward to find gloves and a riding jacket.

Considering there is hardly any info in english on the web, I would be more than happy to answer doubts and queries if any members have any.

Cheers!

PS: Please excuse the mobile phone quality of the pics and the light finger smudges on the lid
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604280996.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604280997.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604281000.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604281002.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604281003.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604281004.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604281006.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-201604281008.jpg  

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th April 2016 at 18:00.

Most Viewed