Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 15:45   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The fall has damaged only the visor and not the shell - not even minor scratches. Does it still warrant a change?
Personally, I feel it is prudent to change helmet after a fall like this. A helmet is supposed to take away the brunt and the shell would have taken lot of energy during the impact and there may be weak spots or minor cracks which are not visible to human eyes and will not be able to protect your head in another impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
I have similar doubts too. If the shell is not abraded badly, it should be good enough another light to medium impact. Again this is just my thoughts.
Problem is, how do you know your next impact is going to be minor or medium?

I keep changing my helmets in 4-5 years, even if there is no impacts since the liner between the outer shell and the interior liner will be at its end of life by 5 years of use. Better safe than sorry.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 15:57   #2102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Problem is, how do you know your next impact is going to be minor or medium?
Valid point. Yes, I will never know.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 16:00   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_N/A View Post
We will wait for opinions from experts. I have similar doubts too. If the shell is not abraded badly, it should be good enough another light to medium impact. Again this is just my thoughts.

I never knew Vega made such helmets. The one you have certainly looks better. Anyway that was a failed attempt in sarcasm . This was taken after the accident.
That looks like a serious crash, good that you are okay now I guess Vega imported these shells and did some branding - That is what I recall hearing from the vendor in Coimbatore, when I bought this. And the spares are not readily available now, and same reason from the vendors here in Ahmedabad - this model was imported, and now stopped. Now wondering what to do here
Old 5th July 2016, 16:11   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Seriously???
May be I got a bit excited The wind noise is lower compared to what I used to have and its a bit more shouty if you open the vents

Pramod
Old 5th July 2016, 16:14   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
May be I got a bit excited The wind noise is lower compared to what I used to have and its a bit more shouty if you open the vents

Pramod
Haha.. Sorry to have dampened your excitement! The best solution (simplest) would be those spongy 3M ear plugs to contain noise.

Then there are many more options too including custom ear plugs.
Old 6th July 2016, 11:06   #2106
BANNED

Quote:
The fall has damaged only the visor and not the shell - not even minor scratches. Does it still warrant a change?
It all depends on the fall. If it was hard, compression of the foam will render it useless. So even though there may not be any visible damage to the shell, it could be internally damaged. At the end of the day you had the crash/slide so you ought to decide for yourself. Considering you don't get any spares anymore, why not look into buying a Kranos lid to replace this one
Old 10th July 2016, 13:06   #2107
Senior - BHPian

Turns out, that my helmet is actually a LS2 manufactured in India by Vega, with ISI mark on it. The model number is FF301, found that too..! interesting discovery, towards the end of its life
Where in Ahmedabad can I try out and buy MT helmets? Visited 2 stores, and both had Studds, Vega and LS2 only. I know I can order online, but don't want to do that before trying out for the fit.

Also, what do you guys do with the old lids? throw them away? Exchange them for some scrap value like we do with old vehicle batteries and tyres?
Old 11th July 2016, 14:47   #2108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where in Ahmedabad can I try out and buy MT helmets? Visited 2 stores, and both had Studds, Vega and LS2 only. I know I can order online, but don't want to do that before trying out for the fit
Check the website of Spartan Pro Gear (importers of MT helmets) for your nearest dealer or reach out to them over FB.
Old 14th July 2016, 15:14   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Check the website of Spartan Pro Gear (importers of MT helmets) for your nearest dealer or reach out to them over FB.
Reached out to them on FB, they have no stores here in the West. So I guess I have to pick one up when I come to Bangalore / Chennai in September. I am just wondering, I see so many sports bikes being ridde3n around here in Ahmedabad, and no place to try-out and buy decent Riding gear!
Old 15th July 2016, 05:50   #2110
Senior - BHPian

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Sharing my feedback on using the Arai Vector 2 for last few weeks.

Amazingly light, extremely well build and very silent. Air flow is great even with all vents closed. I rode in 103F heat and was able to keep cool.

The shield closes real tight and cuts off the road noise. The cheek pads need to break in. You cannot move jaws without biting your inner cheeks. So I believe this fits well.

A 2 hour non stop ride didn't stress much on the neck. I am able to use my regular specs in without any issues. Changing the shield needs care and not easy as other brands. Wish to see some padding on the D-ring straps.

Regret for not getting the yellow. Have few reflective stickers for more visibility. Was not really convinced until I brought it.
Luckily we have Revzilla.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468542004.218127.jpgWhich Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468542023.785645.jpg
mail4ajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 10:16   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haha.. Sorry to have dampened your excitement! The best solution (simplest) would be those spongy 3M ear plugs to contain noise.

Then there are many more options too including custom ear plugs.
I spoke too soon

The helmet is now broken in, the chin strap is the crapiest of all helmets I have ever used, the PVC layer is peeling off. The helmet is misting up and the glare is unbearable. I just wonder, how MT came with such crappy leather/PVC quality on the liners, even cheap Chinese knockoffs of LS2 have better quality inserts. I use the helmet mostly for Gym runs and the internals could be little moist due to sweat(I use a Spartan Balacava), the fogging up could be attributed to that but its not something I would expect out of a 7K helmet to do this early in its life, the studs Ninja I had earlier was drenched in rains couple of times and it never had this issue.

The air vents are useless at stop signals and sometimes the rider might feel suffocated.

Pramod
Old 25th July 2016, 10:24   #2112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I spoke too soon

The helmet is now broken in, the chin strap is the crapiest of all helmets I have ever used, the PVC layer is peeling off. The helmet is misting up and the glare is unbearable. I just wonder, how MT came with such crappy leather/PVC quality on the liners, even cheap Chinese knockoffs of LS2 have better quality inserts. I use the helmet mostly for Gym runs and the internals could be little moist due to sweat(I use a Spartan Balacava), the fogging up could be attributed to that but its not something I would expect out of a 7K helmet to do this early in its life, the studs Ninja I had earlier was drenched in rains couple of times and it never had this issue.

The air vents are useless at stop signals and sometimes the rider might feel suffocated.

Pramod
Aww.. Thats bad! Did you take it back to the Dealer to report all these?
Air vents are usually useless at stop signals (rightly so). Even the most expensive helmets behave the same way. So you are good there. They are not exhaust vents. :-) The best thing to do is open the visor on stop signals

When does it fog up? Just on wearing? Or throughout the ride? While the former is acceptable, latter is not.

Any helmet visor -- should defog itself when on the move. If thats not happening, then there is something really wrong with the unit.

Don't lose heart buddy! :-)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:35   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aww.. Thats bad! Did you take it back to the Dealer to report all these?
Air vents are usually useless at stop signals (rightly so). Even the most expensive helmets behave the same way. So you are good there. They are not exhaust vents. :-) The best thing to do is open the visor on stop signals

When does it fog up? Just on wearing? Or throughout the ride? While the former is acceptable, latter is not.

Any helmet visor -- should defog itself when on the move. If thats not happening, then there is something really wrong with the unit.

Don't lose heart buddy! :-)

Its actually fogging up while the I am stationary. I took it to the dealer, he said the same thing like you said, even SHOEI helmet which he uses behave the same way. I was really disheartened with the inserts, however his 3 month old SHOEI has similar issues. he promised me to replace it from an LS2 once it goes bad, as he said the LS2 ones will also go bad. Never had these issues with the studs Ninja I had.

I am happy with the snug fit and the Noise levels are still very lower. I will buy a normal Kranos helmet for my daily commute and use the MT during longer rides.

Pramod
Old 25th July 2016, 11:47   #2114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its actually fogging up while the I am stationary. I took it to the dealer, he said the same thing like you said, even SHOEI helmet which he uses behave the same way. I was really disheartened with the inserts, however his 3 month old SHOEI has similar issues. he promised me to replace it from an LS2 once it goes bad, as he said the LS2 ones will also go bad. Never had these issues with the studs Ninja I had.

I am happy with the snug fit and the Noise levels are still very lower. I will buy a normal Kranos helmet for my daily commute and use the MT during longer rides.

Pramod
He is right. Even my SHOEI fogs up (if the visor is completely shut) while at stand still. I usually crack it open a bit.

Inserts are something that you can't help as its brand specific ( I am guessing).
Old 25th July 2016, 11:58   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He is right. Even my SHOEI fogs up (if the visor is completely shut) while at stand still. I usually crack it open a bit.

Inserts are something that you can't help as its brand specific ( I am guessing).
The shop guy told me the chin strap and breath deflectors are interchangeable. I never expected the chin strap to go bad so soon, anyways my bad luck these MT Guys don't care either, the model I bought is now discontinued and all the other helmets sold had similar issues reported by customers.

For the glare I was suggested to wear that yellow anti glare sun glasses, they looks quite funny I must admit

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks