Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:13   #3091
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Rocky_Balboa, what about intermediate oval instead of long oval? Have you tried those options?
I thought most MTs are intermediate ovals, isnt that the case Neil? Atleast considering my existing MT helmet and failing with MT Thunder3, Caberg etc made me conclude MTs are intermediate ovals and looks like I was wrong.

Quote:
I did a quick check on Revzilla for long ovals (Revzilla) and there arent too many options which are sold in India. Intermediate oval options far outnumber the long ovals and you are quite likely to find those in India.
I tried MT, Caberg and Axxis (dont remember the variant) and none of them were comfortable. Having tried HJC and Bell earlier (years before), I did not relook at them now though.

Quote:
Im not saying you should settle for the wrong shaped helmet, but Im just saying if an intermediate oval is what you need, then your chances of getting a good fitting helmet in India are very high.
Good point, Neil; definitely helps, will look around for options.

Quote:
Also, I agree with the others that a modular helmet will not necessarily help with spectacles. Ive been wearing specs since 2011 or so. Ive only owned full face helmets and since I started wearing specs, Ive used a KBC Bulldog, HJC CL17, Nolan N86, Shark Race R Pro, AGV K3 SV and never faced issues with putting on or taking off my glasses.
That's reassuring to know, Thanks.

Quote:
As always, try and buy. Bangalore has one of the best collections of helmets, there are just so many stores where you can find good quality helmets.
Yes, so far only hit couple of stores in HSR; will be making a visit to Triumph showroom and BikingSpirit this weekend to check out. Hope to find a good fitting one.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:26   #3092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I thought most MTs are intermediate ovals, isnt that the case Neil? Atleast considering my existing MT helmet and failing with MT Thunder3, Caberg etc made me conclude MTs are intermediate ovals and looks like I was wrong.
Im not too sure about the shapes of MT helmets. I somehow didnt find their helmets to suit my head so Ive not really followed them all that closely.

I just checked intermediate ovals and filtered on a few brands that are available in India. List

You should definitely check out AGV, Bell, Shark and HJC but do make sure to look at the import date. HJCs are likely to be older so your usable life will be down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Yes, so far only hit couple of stores in HSR; will be making a visit to Triumph showroom and BikingSpirit this weekend to check out. Hope to find a good fitting one.
Head to Orion Motors opposite Forum Mall. They have the best and widest collection of helmets in Bangalore and are very transparent in their dealings. The Alpinestars Bangalore dealership on Lal Bagh road is supposed to be really good, never been there though.

If you cant find a helmet in the above two stores, then check the Triumph showroom, Big Bear Customs and Biking Spirit.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:13   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
Im not too sure about the shapes of MT helmets. I somehow didnt find their helmets to suit my head so Ive not really followed them all that closely.
SPG was also not responsive on the shape of the helmets, anyway now that You have provided with an excellent list; ill put MT on the backburner.

Quote:
I just checked intermediate ovals and filtered on a few brands that are available in India.
This is too good, Thanks buddy.

Quote:
You should definitely check out AGV, Bell, Shark and HJC but do make sure to look at the import date. HJCs are likely to be older so your usable life will be down.
Point noted, will check the dates before picking up.

Quote:
Head to Orion Motors opposite Forum Mall. They have the best and widest collection of helmets in Bangalore and are very transparent in their dealings. The Alpinestars Bangalore dealership on Lal Bagh road is supposed to be really good, never been there though.
I missed Orion completely, Thanks buddy; will visit them and the other one soon.

Quote:
If you cant find a helmet in the above two stores, then check the Triumph showroom, Big Bear Customs and Biking Spirit.
Got it.

Thank You Neil, this is very helpful.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 21:10   #3094
BHPian

Brought my first dot+ece homologation helmet - Axor apex hunter. Paid 4600/- in Shimoga! A good upgrade from my Vega half helmet.

This is assembled in Belgaum by Vega.
ownerofazkaban is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 22:22   #3095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
Brought my first dot+ece homologation helmet - Axor apex hunter. Paid 4600/- in Shimoga! A good upgrade from my Vega half helmet.

This is assembled in Belgaum by Vega.
Nice to see desi brands stepping up their game, that price is pretty alright for something with an internal sunvisor. How optically correct is it though? I've always wondered if the internal sunvisors on budget lids are more of a gimmick than a useful feature, not easy to have a piece of plastic so close to your eyes and not interfere with vision.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 20:31   #3096

Guys I bought AGV K1 flavum 46 helmet. Intermediate oval.. initial feedback is very comfortable.. anyone using it?? Please share your opinion
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-9c1f897e548d4ba8a754e3a1cfb9006d.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-140ee1959aa7468488adf4b1ae944791.jpeg  

elitei20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 23:01   #3097
BHPian

During the RD sale on flipkart, bought Axor Venomous helmet. First received what I think is a returned item. Cancelled the item and booked a different colour. The delivery took some time but was surprised to see that I got just a week old helmet.
Effectively paid 3,800 in place of an MRP of Rs 4994. When I tried the same in JC Road, the dealers were not ready to reduce a single rupee and the colours I wanted were also not available.

Didn't get a chance to use the sun visor, but very happy with the anti fog film.
Since my earlier helmet was also axor, got a perfect fit, and D lock is an added advantage. Overall very happy with the purchase. Hope the govt won't spoil it by demanding ISI certificate, though this is DOT and ECE certified.

- Girish
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20210124wa0040.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20210124wa0041.jpg  

girishv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 00:03   #3098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitei20 View Post
Guys I bought AGV K1 flavum 46 helmet. Intermediate oval.. initial feedback is very comfortable.. anyone using it?? Please share your opinion
Congratulations on your new helmet. The K1 seems to be a popular choice though the prices of the K3 did go up for the market to accommodate the introduction of the K1. Just keep an eye out on the paint, I have heard of some helmets suffering from some chipping of the outer surface and dealers having to manage these complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Since my earlier helmet was also axor, got a perfect fit, and D lock is an added advantage. Overall very happy with the purchase. Hope the govt won't spoil it by demanding ISI certificate, though this is DOT and ECE certified.
Congratulations, do keep us updated on your long term experience with it. I wonder why they say imported by, when the helmets are manufactured in Belgaum. Or maybe it is the same print used for international shipments.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 00:20   #3099
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
... However, with the Caberg Tourmax, on both these points I've found it good. It's reasonable quiet with plush lining and it has a sharp 5 star rating...
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
Uploading slightly more detailed pictures, please excuse the poor lighting
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
After a lot of research into available options at a decent price point, ended up picking the Caberg Tourmax...
One question to all of you. The Caberg helmet you all picked up, is it the same size as your other helmets as well?

I read that flip up helmet should be one size bigger than the normal full face helmet one uses / fits. I tried the Caberg Duke II for the same size sometime back and found it to be a snug fit, similar to my MT helmet (both S size as my head measures 55). The only difference with it is, I'll be using a Sena headset and doesnt want the mic piece to foul due to lack of space near the chin.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st February 2021 at 00:22.
Old 1st February 2021, 10:04   #3100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
One question to all of you. The Caberg helmet you all picked up, is it the same size as your other helmets as well?

I read that flip up helmet should be one size bigger than the normal full face helmet one uses / fits. I tried the Caberg Duke II for the same size sometime back and found it to be a snug fit, similar to my MT helmet (both S size as my head measures 55). The only difference with it is, I'll be using a Sena headset and doesnt want the mic piece to foul due to lack of space near the chin.
Yes - both my Caberg Tourmax and older Bell Qualifier are Size M. I too use it with a mouthpiece and have found that letting the mouthpiece rest just over the chin curtain works well for me.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 11:14   #3101
Senior - BHPian

My SHOEI visor had scratches and the inner 'top pad' was not snug. Original accessories were not available, so I used a clear plastic rubbing compound from Meguiar's - to remove the scratches completely, and AGV Original Top Pad as inner lining. The helmet is M size so I had ordered a MS size, which fit perfectly in. See the results. Next, I've to repaint micro-tiny portions of the shell and buff it to merge with original black paint. Then I have a new helmet
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8411.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8425.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8412.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8424.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 14:15   #3102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My SHOEI visor had scratches and the inner 'top pad' was not snug. Original accessories were not available, so I used a clear plastic rubbing compound from Meguiar's - to
Where did you buy the meguiars plastx from? All i can see are direct imports on Amazon.
Old 1st February 2021, 17:38   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The only difference with it is, I'll be using a Sena headset and doesnt want the mic piece to foul due to lack of space near the chin.
The Caberg Tourmax that I picked is the same size as my other helmets, two of them are MT. I usually use a size L (59-60 cms) and this fits well. Helmets should be slightly snug against the cheek, to provide a good fit and this one fits well, with no major pressure points for me.

With respect to the boom microphone of the Sena, I use a Sena too and although the frontal space inside the helmet is not as much as a proper 'pointy-nose' type full face adventure-touring helmet, it does not foul with the chin or the mouth. I suppose, it will also depend on the shape of your face and the antero-posterior dimensions of your jaw. Hope that answers your question.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 19:19   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Mine is from US. (And totally worth my effort). but I see it on Amazon India.
https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-Clear.../dp/B0000AY3SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Where did you buy the meguiars plastx from? All i can see are direct imports on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8477.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 1st February 2021 at 19:28.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 19:36   #3105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Mine is from US. (And totally worth my effort). but I see it on Amazon India.
https://www.amazon.in/Meguiars-Clear.../dp/B0000AY3SR
Hmm. I have a shield or two or three that need this work. I wonder if i should. Did you apply it and then just polish the shield up?

One shield has a nick right in front of my eye. Annoying. I wonder if this will sort that nick out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks