Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 08:41   #2971
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Hi all! I'll be buying a helmet soon. The one I have now is an apen face helmet from RE. I intend to buy a full face one and I'm still searching.

This may be off topic and do let me know of the same. Considering that we donning masks now with the pandemic around, the visors end up fogging up. Is there a work around for this or a helmet that can deal with this well?

Thank you so much!
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 09:49   #2972

When I bought one for my fz25, I considered helmets of either MT or LS2. These come with ece/ dot testing and will be a better suit especially if you also use the bike on highways apart from cities.
Also it is better to get one with a d clip as the strap won't come out and your helmet won't fly in case of a serious crash.
Some of the visors claim to be antifog not sure to what extent. But never noticed a lot of foging. Also there are anti fog cleaners.
R2_d2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:11   #2973
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Hi all! I'll be buying a helmet soon. The one I have now is an apen face helmet from RE. I intend to buy a full face one and I'm still searching.

This may be off topic and do let me know of the same. Considering that we donning masks now with the pandemic around, the visors end up fogging up. Is there a work around for this or a helmet that can deal with this well?

Thank you so much!
1. I think you must move to a full face from a safety standpoint. Half face just doesnt cut it except for maybe very short rides.

2. MT makes excellent helmets at a very VFM price. If you want to move up 1.5 - 2 notches in price range, Scorpion and HJC are both excellent options. These could cost anywhere between 15 - 25k (and more) but that price range will get you great options. Maybe add AGV also to that list.

Helmet fits are important. Please make sure you physically try on a helmet before inking a purchase. Online buys for helmets you have not tried is not advisable.

There will be lots more specific gyan on helmets if you just scroll / search this thread.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:38   #2974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post

Thank you so much!
Many helmets come with a pin lock visor, a mechanism that prevents fogging up of the visors. Do try and opt for helmets with that option.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 12:23   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
1. I think you must move to a full face from a safety standpoint. Half face just doesnt cut it except for maybe very short rides.

2. MT makes excellent helmets at a very VFM price. If you want to move up 1.5 - 2 notches in price range, Scorpion and HJC are both excellent options. These could cost anywhere between 15 - 25k (and more) but that price range will get you great options. Maybe add AGV also to that list.

Helmet fits are important. Please make sure you physically try on a helmet before inking a purchase. Online buys for helmets you have not tried is not advisable.

There will be lots more specific gyan on helmets if you just scroll / search this thread.
Thanks for your reply! I'm going to take a while to figure out budgets and I'll then begin research here on the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Many helmets come with a pin lock visor, a mechanism that prevents fogging up of the visors. Do try and opt for helmets with that option.
Ah! Thank you so much! I'll try finding helmets with such visors.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 21:24   #2976
BHPian

Hi guys,
After a very long gap of being away from bikes, i have got myself an r6. Iam looking to buy a helmet. I have heard of brands like axor, mt helmets and some other brands recently while surfing online. Iam not a high speed junky and i don't intend to push the bike to its limits. Please suggest some decent helmets. Are MT helmets good enough to be used with superbikes? I used to use an agv way back in 2005 but now they seem to have become 10 times as much in cost. How much would i need to spend for a decent helmet right now. I could get a helmet down from USA in January or February but till then i need another one to use. Please help.

Last edited by princezahed : 27th October 2020 at 21:30.
princezahed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 09:35   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Hi guys,
After a very long gap of being away from bikes, i have got myself an r6. Iam looking to buy a helmet. I have heard of brands like axor, mt helmets and some other brands recently while surfing online. Iam not a high speed junky and i don't intend to push the bike to its limits. Please suggest some decent helmets. Are MT helmets good enough to be used with superbikes? I used to use an agv way back in 2005 but now they seem to have become 10 times as much in cost. How much would i need to spend for a decent helmet right now. I could get a helmet down from USA in January or February but till then i need another one to use. Please help.
How much one should spend on their riding gear is a tricky question to ask. What works for one person but seem exorbitant for another. A ballpark figure that is generally used, is to keep at least 10% of the cost of your motorcycle for riding gear. For helmets, you get ISI rated options from Rs 1,500 onwards going all the way up to race spec helmets from Arai, AGV etc with the highest international certifications that will set you back by close to Rs 1,00,000.

Given that you are returning to motorcycling after a while and you have a very capable motorcycle like the Yamaha R6, Ill say take the plunge right now and get yourself the best helmet (and by extension, riding gear), that you can afford today. Dont wait for another 90 - 120 days to make yourself as safe as you can.

Once you finalize a budget, we can help you shortlist. Do remember to try and buy.

Also, before I forget, congratulations on your R6! It certainly is a dream bike for many riders here. Hope to see an ownership thread here on the forum.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 16:39   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
How much one should spend on their riding gear is a tricky question to ask. What works for one person but seem exorbitant for another. A ballpark figure that is generally used, is to keep at least 10% of the cost of your motorcycle for riding gear. For helmets, you get ISI rated options from Rs 1,500 onwards going all the way up to race spec helmets from Arai, AGV etc with the highest international certifications that will set you back by close to Rs 1,00,000.

Given that you are returning to motorcycling after a while and you have a very capable motorcycle like the Yamaha R6, Ill say take the plunge right now and get yourself the best helmet (and by extension, riding gear), that you can afford today. Dont wait for another 90 - 120 days to make yourself as safe as you can.

Once you finalize a budget, we can help you shortlist. Do remember to try and buy.

Also, before I forget, congratulations on your R6! It certainly is a dream bike for many riders here. Hope to see an ownership thread here on the forum.
Thanks for the congratulations and the advice. I think i would be going for a HJC or an agv. I did check out MT helmets but somehow i was not convinced with the ones priced under 10k. Iam a very lazy person when it comes to writing and putting out any threads. I will try to put one if possible.
Old 3rd November 2020, 08:11   #2979
Senior - BHPian

Motonation has some pretty good helmets. I picked this MT Atom (Made in Spain) from their impressive collection because this is the only helmet that gave a guy like me, (who can't do with spectacles), some groove to insert the glasses. The front flips up as well. It's pretty comfortable. It's pretty expensive though, at Rs 9500. But very very comfortable
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8868.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8592.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8595.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_8588.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:13   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Motonation has some pretty good helmets.
Is this the one in HSR?
I'm looking for a good helmet within 10k that offers good safety and comfort, at the same time not very heavy. This thread has been super helpful for that... Thank you guys!

QQ: Bangalore riders, which shops do you suggest to go try out the helmets? Would prefer one with knowledgeable staff.
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:20   #2981
Senior - BHPian

HSR & Lalbagh are the same. I bought in Lalbagh since it is closer. Purchased the jacket (Scimitar) from their online store since there was Rs 1000 off for Navratri. Will receive that today
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Is this the one in HSR?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 10:06   #2982
Team-BHP Support

I am someone who always carries 2 separate [darkest visor available for my helmet & clear] visors. Used to carry it in the plastic wrapper of the visor. But, never wanted it to carry that way, if wrapped in towel, it used to get bulky and sometimes, if in contact with other items [towel getting loose], it was vulnerable for a scratch etc.

Got a visor sleeve from via-terra and I am happy with the purchase. For the price, the product is of very good quality, has felt lining inside. Recommended from my end.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 14:40   #2983
BHPian

Did anyone test out the Performance Gear from TVS? They boast of really good features, but I don't know if quality and safety is good as the specs say.

https://accessories.tvsmotor.com/pre...ynamicdualtone
Old 15th November 2020, 17:15   #2984
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone know where I can find airoh adventure type helmets in Pune?

Thanks.
Old 17th November 2020, 11:29   #2985
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Does anyone know where I can find airoh adventure type helmets in Pune?
Currently no stock, Team Driven, Pune used to keep Airoh helmets but it's almost zero stock.

I didn't find any ADV helmet in Airoh line-up! Do you mean, Motocross (off-road) helmets? If you want them from Airoh then it seems Delhi-NCR is one option, Moto Madness & High Note Performance stocks Airoh helmets.

You can also look at Scott Moto, Fly Racing & Scorpion Exo MX helmets (without visor)

For Adv helmets (with peak):
  • Arai Tour X4
  • Shoei Hornet
  • Klim Krios
  • Schuberth E1 (Flip-up)
  • Nexx X.Wed2
  • Bell MX9 MIPS
  • Scorpion Exo AT950 (Flip-up)
The most sought after line up!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks