Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2020, 20:31   #2881
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Don’t know whether this is the right thread to post.

Vega the helmet people have come out with medical face shield for use in health care scenario. Good solid quality, compared to the plastic material available elsewhere. Unfortunately sold out on company website and one needs to buy from amazon paying twice the cost.
Old 25th June 2020, 17:56   #2882
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Just got a BELL QUALIFIER in Matt Black. Ordered it from motcentral and the experience was a breeze.

The helmet is brilliant. Looks like a much more expensive helmet for what it cost.

I paid 9000 rupees. It retails for roughly the same price in the abroad ( $ 120.00 )

Its really a snug fit and feels solid.
Is the fit correct? How did you measure because the fit is different for different brands even for the same size?
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 18:04   #2883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is the fit correct? How did you measure because the fit is different for different brands even for the same size?
So I spoke to the person at motocentral who was extremely knowledgeable and he said to measure my head with a measuring tape at 2 exact points and he came out with the Conclusion that I need a L and not an XL which I thought would be apt.

I trusted him as I really wished to go out for rides on the expressway on sundays and with no scope of me going out to delhi with this covid fiasco I was left with 2 options -
1/ To go and ride with the cheap helmet I had or
2/ call for this and trust his judgement. The latter was decided.

See some pics from my recent sunday ride. And the helmet as well.

I did some good speed and the helmet proved to be exactly what the reviews on the internet said. Fantastic Value !

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1488.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1483.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1422.jpg
vkochar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 21:55   #2884
BHPian

Buying helmets online in India

I was looking at picking up a shark helmet online in India. Zeroed in on bikegear.in
Wanted to check on how authentic they are and their service levels.
Old 26th June 2020, 13:06   #2885
BHPian

I'm looking to buy a new helmet,
I have zeroed on
1. Bell mx9 MIPS
2. Agv k1
My main usage would be daily rides(90kms) and weekend rides(200kms), so I prefer something that could accommodate intercom and should not at all fog up . The fogging issue has been bothersome.
And how would the 100% googles work against fogging in an adv helmet . Any user reviews related to googles.
dinodavid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:31   #2886
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodavid View Post
I have zeroed on
1. Bell mx9 MIPS
2. Agv k1
My main usage would be daily rides(90kms) and weekend rides(200kms), so I prefer something that could accommodate intercom and should not at all fog up . The fogging issue has been bothersome.
And how would the 100% googles work against fogging in an adv helmet . Any user reviews related to googles.
Goggles won’t work with K1. Both these helmets are chalk and cheese. One is an adventure helmet which will let in tons of air and is good for hot environments. The other is a street helmet.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 13:40   #2887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Nothing like trying and buying, especially when we consider some heads are oval, round, intermediate oval and so on.

Quote:
I have zeroed on
1. Bell mx9 MIPS
2. Agv k1
As Red Liner mentioned, these are two very very different helmets. Its not often that I hear of buyers cross shopping between the two. I have heard about some small issues with the AGV K1, people arent very happy with the quality of the helmet. Take it for what you will. In that Rs 15K price range, the HJC options are really great, have been sold for a long time with good user feedback and are an easy recommendation since they come with very high SHARP ratings as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 14:18   #2888
BHPian

Re: Buying helmets online in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
I was looking at picking up a shark helmet online in India. Zeroed in on bikegear.in
They are absolutely fantastic. I just picked up an Akrapovic from them for my Street Triple and another member here and dear friend Rachit.K.Dogra picked up a Shoei X14 from them in March. Very transparent in communication and timelines.
Both of us dealt with this wonderful chap call Akash there and his number is 9610311313. You can give the reference of either Rachit or me when you speak with him. Happy Shopping!

Ride Safe
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 15:12   #2889
BHPian

Quote:
As Red Liner mentioned, these are two very very different helmets. Its not often that I hear of buyers cross shopping between the two. I have heard about some small issues with the AGV K1, people arent very happy with the quality of the helmet. Take it for what you will. In that Rs 15K price range, the HJC options are really great, have been sold for a long time with good user feedback and are an easy recommendation since they come with very high SHARP ratings as well.
I understand it's cross shopping but my main concern is the anti fogging capabilities with visor and without visor mainly during monsoon to avoid distorted vision.
dinodavid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 15:19   #2890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understand it's cross shopping but my main concern is the anti fogging capabilities with visor and without visor mainly during monsoon to avoid distorted vision.
Your only option to avoid fogging is to add a anti fog insert also called a pin lock visor. Else any helmet WILL fog. So choose a helmet which has pin lock ready shields and has pin lock inserts available here. The AGV will probably be far more comfortable and quieter on the highway as opposed to the bell. The bell is good if you ride offroad a lot, and need ventilation to breathe. The peak helps block off the sun during the early hours and late evenings. Good luck

So a bell with googles in the rain? Feasible, but the insides of your helmet will be completely drenched. I find cracking visor open just a tad to allow air circulation works better and keeps the rain out of my face. In which case goggles are not necessary.

Last edited by Red Liner : 26th June 2020 at 15:24.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 15:27   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
They are absolutely fantastic. I just picked up an Akrapovic from them for my Street Triple and another member here and dear friend Rachit.K.Dogra picked up a Shoei X14 from them in March. Very transparent in communication and timelines.
Both of us dealt with this wonderful chap call Akash there and his number is 9610311313. You can give the reference of either Rachit or me when you speak with him. Happy Shopping!

Ride Safe
Rohan
Hi Rohan
Thank you for your prompt response. Looking at the shark skwal 2. Yes I have been getting prompt responses from them on WhatsApp and hence was keen to purchasing from them as it saves the hassle of purchasing online abroad and having to deal with customs etc.
Thanks again..
Old 28th June 2020, 11:16   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
I had sourced my Akrapovic exhaust from Bikegear.in, and I must say, I was quite happy with their customer service. My product took 6 weeks to arrive, but then, this was informed to me by them at the very begining, so no complaints there.

They seem like genuine guys and takes away the hassle of dealing with customs and such like. I would recommend them and I was dealing with a chap called Akash @ Bikegear.

On another note, I was in the market for an adventure-touring helmet and I got myself a Caberg Tourmax, got it from Spartan pro-gear. It is Italian made, flip-up helmet with a peak, dual P/J homologated, ECE and SHARP 5 star rated. Retails for just over 20K.

It is reasonably comfortable and quiet for a flip up helmet and been doing good so far. This is another helmet, you might want to look at.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:20   #2893
BHPian

Hi everyone, could anyone suggest a couple of helmets based on the following criteria:

1. SHARP 5/4 STAR
2. Price <20,000, preferably <15,000
3. Good service/warranty support in Chennai(primarily) and Cochin
4. Any deals available online, or off-line at Cochin

My research has thrown up a couple of options, sorted from highest rating and price preference:

1. AIROH VALOR-SHARP 5 STAR -12,500 at High Note Performance
2. MT REVENGE GP-SHARP 5 STAR- 7,600 (Clearance Sale) at Moto Central-No warranty on clearance sale items however, writing to them to understand this better
3. HJC CS-15- SHARP 4 STAR- 7,000 (Clearance Sale) at Moto Central

Bell DLX and DLX MIPS do have impressive specs, but 3 STAR SHARP rating. DLX MIPS on the pricey side, but does have a transitions visor, which is quite interesting- any thoughts on this? does the convenience justify the cost? major downside is the rating compared to relatively inexpensive helmets offering better safety, so unless i find a bell helmet with a 4 STAR or higher rating, do not really see me buying this despite being hooked by some of the features.

Would love to hear your suggestions, as always. Thanks in advance!
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 21:49   #2894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
On another note, I was in the market for an adventure-touring helmet and I got myself a Caberg Tourmax, got it from Spartan pro-gear. It is Italian made, flip-up helmet with a peak, dual P/J homologated, ECE and SHARP 5 star rated. Retails for just over 20K.
Doc, didnt know about this option from Caberg. It looks very good for the price. Do share some pictures when you get the opportunity to do so. Though Im not a fan of flip up helmets, they are super convenient when you are in a group ride and need to stop to have a quick conversation etc. I will definitely keep this in mind next time that I am helmet shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
Hi everyone, could anyone suggest a couple of helmets based on the following criteria:

1. SHARP 5/4 STAR
2. Price <20,000, preferably <15,000
3. Good service/warranty support in Chennai(primarily) and Cochin
4. Any deals available online, or off-line at Cochin

My research has thrown up a couple of options, sorted from highest rating and price preference:

1. AIROH VALOR-SHARP 5 STAR -12,500 at High Note Performance
2. MT REVENGE GP-SHARP 5 STAR- 7,600 (Clearance Sale) at Moto Central-No warranty on clearance sale items however, writing to them to understand this better
3. HJC CS-15- SHARP 4 STAR- 7,000 (Clearance Sale) at Moto Central
Ill add two more to your list

4. HJC FG ST - SHARP 5 star
5. Caberg Tourmax - SHARP 5 star

All the listed ones are very good helmets indeed, Ive tried each one except the Caberg. I feel the padding, visor and overall fit and finish of the HJC options (and likely the Airoh as well) is a step above the MT Revenge. So I would suggest that as your number 5. As for the Airoh, Ive heard, the padding was not removable but from this Bennetts link, it apparently is. Just check on this in the store when you try it on for size. The top 4 (assuming the MT is number 5) are all very good options indeed, buy what fits and suits your head the best.

Dont know about deals but given the current economic situation, the physical stores will definitely be able to work out a favourable deal for you that should match what you are seeing from the online Indian stores. AutoQueen in Cochin currently has a huge stock of Airoh lids, I had to stop by there a few days ago and spotted their Airoh inventory. They have some HJCs as well. Do check in DJ helmets also for HJC stock. On the topic of HJC helmets, just check the manufacturing date, each helmet has a code which lets you read the month and year of manufacture, the current stock in Cochin in different stores may be (or may not be, if you are lucky) a year old. For MT related options, there is a MT helmet store a couple of minutes away from AutoQueen, they had all the MT helmets in stock but the last time I was there, I didnt see any Caberg ones. The Spartan Pro Gear store (near the Kawasaki dealer) will have Caberg for sure, I havent been there yet but hear they are good folks to deal with.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 22:19   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Doc, didnt know about this option from The Spartan Pro Gear store (near the Kawasaki dealer) will have Caberg for sure, I havent been there yet but hear they are good folks to deal with.
Thanks Neil. Will check with autoqueen and spartan, did speak to DJ helmets, but they are awaiting new stock and don’t expect it for another couple of months, and the HJC they have is apparently an old model that’s out of warranty apparently. Did consider the Caberg early on, but not a fan of the flip-up type. Nevertheless will try them and see if I like it.
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks