Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 18:47   #2926
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Hi Guys,

I am planning to upgrade my helmet. I had MT Blade and MT Revenge. I am planning to now purchase MT Rapide Crucial which is fiberglass structure and ECE certified. However the caveat to that is unlike Revenge, this is not tested by any third party institutions. Any feedback or reviews on the Rapide Crucial one?
Why not consider looking at something in the 20k range like the KYT NX race? Apart from an upgrade in weight savings, you will also be able to notice an upgrade in liner material as well as optics
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 08:58   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuisha110HP View Post
Hi Guys,
I am planning to now purchase MT Rapide Crucial which is fiberglass structure and ECE certified. Any feedback or reviews on the Rapide Crucial one?
Hi, I have the MT Rapide Overtake, which is the grey, white, matt finish, in size L. It is a well made, very light fibreglass helmet at 1300 gm, or thereabouts. The interior lining is comfortable and I bought myself a mirror and a yellow visor as well in addition to the clear one supplied with the helmet. A pinlock is also in place. Yes, it does not have independent ratings, but it is ECE approved, has Double D rings and having used it for the last 8 months, have found it very comfortable. It has speaker pockets for the blue tooth and is well ventilated. I primarily use it for commute when on my naked bike. The helmet is not the quietest, but it manages the air past the helmet very well.

But as Neil said, if you want Sharp 4/5 star rating, then better to go for the mentioned helmet.

Cheerio
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 14:47   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Hi, I have the MT Rapide Overtake, which is the grey, white, matt finish, in size L. It is a well made, very light fibreglass helmet at 1300 gm, or thereabouts.

Cheerio
Thank you alphadog for clearing a lot of doubts. Yeah, I am primarily looking for a commuter/occasional morning ride, considering the pandemic we all are facing. Hence, no long rides this year. Would upgrade to a new better one in near future.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 15:17   #2929
OmV
BHPian

Some good news - looks like sanity will finally prevail when it comes to helmet safety norms. "Safer" will no longer be illegal.
https://www.motorbeam.com/revised-he...orted-helmets/
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 07:40   #2930
BHPian

I just upgraded myself to Shoei RF 1200. There was a promotional event going on for this model and price was dropped to $469 from original $589. On top of that I had some Revzilla credit points which brought the price down to $412 inclusive of 8.25% Texas sales tax. This model is solidly built and still weigh less. It came up with a pinlock which helps me in avoiding visor fogging up during Winters.

Sena 50S communication system is arriving next week to go with this helmet. We are doing lot of group rides these days and it helps to keep everyone updated with cops, road conditions and directions.

I have a HJC CL17 which was 15 months old helmet. It fits perfectly but the problem I have with that helmet is it is noisy during the high speed runs but I cannot complain on that since I bought it for $117 last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-whatsapp-image-20200729-8.50.38-pm1.jpeg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-whatsapp-image-20200729-8.50.38-pm.jpeg  

hema4saran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 09:52   #2931
BHPian

I'm scouting for a new helmet. The one I currently use is a half face one from Studds supplied with my scooter by the dealer. Its nearing 4 years and frankly even though it feels sturdy I'm not confident how effective it will be in protecting me. I know a full face helmet is safer than a half face one but I use spectacles and its easier for me to wear a half face one.

I'll be needing a full face helmet now, (I'm willing to take the extra effort of removing and putting on my glasses each time for the added safety) with a decent safety rating and preferably a flip up type. I'll be using it exclusively for my scooter rides in the city. My budget is 4-5k.

What are my options?
Old 10th August 2020, 14:03   #2932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
I'm scouting for a new helmet. The one I currently use is a half face one from Studds supplied with my scooter by the dealer. Its nearing 4 years and frankly even though it feels sturdy I'm not confident how effective it will be in protecting me. I know a full face helmet is safer than a half face one but I use spectacles and its easier for me to wear a half face one.

I'll be needing a full face helmet now, (I'm willing to take the extra effort of removing and putting on my glasses each time for the added safety) with a decent safety rating and preferably a flip up type. I'll be using it exclusively for my scooter rides in the city. My budget is 4-5k.

What are my options?
Dont know of any flip up type helmets in that price bracket. You will get MT and Axor helmets in your budget and they are good helmets indeed. Most MT helmets will also give you a very high SHARP safety rating which makes them exceptional VFM helmets in our market.

You can head to DJ Helmets (Changampuzha park), AutoQueen (Kaloor junction), Motonation (2 mins away from AQ) and Spartan Pro Gear (near Kawasaki showroom) to see your options between different brands and decide.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 15:14   #2933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Dont know of any flip up type helmets in that price bracket. You will get MT and Axor helmets in your budget and they are good helmets indeed. Most MT helmets will also give you a very high SHARP safety rating which makes them exceptional VFM helmets in our market
MT
Axxis
Aspida Helmets - new range from Spartan Pro Gear, they've a flip-up lid @6k
Share your feedback if you try them, BLACNWYTE.

Axor - Vega Helmets
SMK - Studds Helmets

These are the starting options, you can scout this thread for pictures and reviews of them.

Happy shopping,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 23:06   #2934
BHPian

Hey all, needed some advice. I have been looking for a budget (5-6k) dual-sport helmet for a long time now. I finally found one back in March, a THH TX-27 from Team Driven India. I measured my head size and it was just below 62cm, so I got what is supposed to be the XL size. But when it came, I was in for disappointment. I can barely put it on, and once I do, it gets unbearably painful in 2-3 mins. Thankfully, it fits my father really well. It doesn't mention the size anywhere, though.

I trust the guys at Team Driven, and the helmet, rebranded as the AFX FX41 DS overseas, is also really, really good. I talked to them and they assured me that they'd get XXL pads from THH. I waited, because lockdown meant that riding was minimum and my Vega helmet would suffice. Now, I got to know that the THH guys won't be able to make the pads. All this while, whenever I'd ask, I'd be told that it had been delayed. I don't really blame the Team Driven people. They seem really nice and patient and willing to help, so we are all sort of stuck here.

I really need a helmet now, I think. My L-sized Vega is almost at the end of its life, and riding is also increasing bit by bit. The Team Driven guys suggested me to go to a local place that'd loosen the current padding and make it more accommodating and then compensate it with a gel at the forehead if needed. All of that seems extremely sketchy to me, since it's a helmet after all and I really don't want to mess it up so that it doesn't fit me and then stops fitting my father as well. Does anyone have any experience with stuff like this? Finances are really tight at the moment, so a new helmet is very tough to get. I still can't find a good dual-sport helmet at around this price point.

Thanks,
Neel
Old 11th August 2020, 03:51   #2935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hey all, needed some advice. I have been looking for a budget (5-6k) dual-sport helmet for a long time now. I
Thanks,
Neel
Welcome back, i was wondering where you were.

About 8k gets you a scott. Check their indian website out for sizes or chat them up on facebook or instagram.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 06:12   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Welcome back, i was wondering where you were.

About 8k gets you a scott. Check their indian website out for sizes or chat them up on facebook or instagram.
Hey, thanks! I hope you're doing good!

Two things. I really did end up spending all saved up money on this helmet and it's honestly really heartbreaking that it doesn't fit me. I am not at all convinced about the solution that Team Driven gave me, but I just wanted to know if someone on the forum had tried something similar. Also, people who are planning to buy THH should take note that while the helmets are exceptionally priced for the quality that they offer, the support is horrible. They will make you wait for months for pads and then tell you they won't be able to procure a set.

Second thing, I'm really weary and hesitant about buying helmets online now. The Scott helmets look really good, though. How do I go about this? A local store stocks up on Axor helmets, should I try my size there? Also, wanted to know if any of you have experience in touring with MX helmets and googles. I do intend to do quite a bit of touring on the XPulse and wanted to know if it was feasible. I don't care a lot about wind noise or not having optimum comfort, but I'm worried about the stares that I might get if I ride wearing MX goggles. Maybe, I'm overthinking.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 17th August 2020 at 06:13. Reason: Typo
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 09:00   #2937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hey, thanks! I hope you're doing good!

Two things. I really did end up spending all saved up money on this helmet and it's honestly really heartbreaking that it doesn't fit me. I am not at all convinced about the solution that Team Driven gave me, but I just wanted to know if someone on the forum had tried something similar. Also, people who are planning to buy THH should take note that while the helmets are exceptionally priced for the quality that they offer, the support is horrible. They will make you wait for months for pads and then tell you they won't be able to procure a set.

Second thing, I'm really weary and hesitant about buying helmets online now. The Scott helmets look really good, though. How do I go about this? A local store stocks up on Axor helmets, should I try my size there? Also, wanted to know if any of you have experience in touring with MX helmets and googles. I do intend to do quite a bit of touring on the XPulse and wanted to know if it was feasible. I don't care a lot about wind noise or not having optimum comfort, but I'm worried about the stares that I might get if I ride wearing MX goggles. Maybe, I'm overthinking.

Neel
Hello.

1. Always measure your head yourself at home. I think you did that.

2. You cannot make the helmet fit you. Either it fits or it doesn't. Gift it to your dad, but make him pay later

3. Check if there is a scott motorcycle gear dealer near your place. The good thing with scott is you get replacement cheek pads and liners that will alter the fit of the helmet if it doesn't match up right. Check that out first. See what shell sizes the scott have. Then the replacement pads within those shell sizes will fit each other. Thats how they make helmets cheaper to fit a wider audience. Make one shell for xs-m and use different pads to make it fit tighter or larger. Thats also why ARAI cost a lot more. They make individual shell sizes for every single size.

4. How much will you tour? 200 kms? 500 kms? 1000 kms every day for a week?

200kms of road with trails at the end of it in an MX lid with goggles is alright. Anything more without a shield will be very tiring. But an MX lid is non negotiable offroad and in technical trails. Any other helmet just weighs too much! Light is always right! Buy a regular street helmet in addition if you plan to tour on road with no offroad in the mix. Those are easier to find and you might already have one.

Last edited by Red Liner : 17th August 2020 at 09:01.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 16:00   #2938
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I currently have a HJC CL-17 which I'm planning to retire post this monsoon.

I'm not able to fixate on a budget, but in most probability, I'll find something in the 6-8K range.

MT Thunder 3 SV is on my mind, any better suggestions?

I have flirted with the idea of getting a once for all HJC like the RPHA 11 Pro/70 ST

I own a CBR250R and will only hop on to bigger displacement in future.
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 23:00   #2939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Hello everyone,

I currently have a HJC CL-17 which I'm planning to retire post this monsoon.

I'm not able to fixate on a budget, but in most probability, I'll find something in the 6-8K range.

MT Thunder 3 SV is on my mind, any better suggestions?

I have flirted with the idea of getting a once for all HJC like the RPHA 11 Pro/70 ST

I own a CBR250R and will only hop on to bigger displacement in future.
The CL 17 is a very good helmet, Ive personally crash tested it and emerged unscathed. But you plan to move to bigger motorcycles and are considering more mid to high end options, take the plunge and go in a better helmet if you can afford it. If you want to go for HJC, just wait a bit for new stock to come in, right now there are no signs of when the next batch is incoming.
Old 20th August 2020, 23:40   #2940
Distinguished - BHPian

First look - Airoh GP 550S

Last week, I got a heads up that AutoQueen was getting its first batch of the new Airoh GP 550S through High Note Performance. I really liked its predecessor, the Airoh GP 500 and it was a good alternative to the Shark Race R Pro which I eventually picked up for its better SHARP rating. Both are top of the line racing helmets from the respective manufacturers and hence give you all the expected functionality and features that you would expect in a top of the line Arai or AGV that cost around 3x the price of these options.

The Airoh GP 550S being a new model isnt tested by SHARP yet, but I expect it to do better than the GP 500. It does however pass the FIM homologation test which is very impressive. I got a chance to check out the new GP 550 S today, I am sharing some pictures below of the sporty helmet. If things go as per plan, a fellow Team BHPian will be picking up one tomorrow, so we can get some real world feedback from him on this thread.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_154359.jpg
Looks lovely in that matt black paint scheme

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_154431.jpg
Just look at that spoiler!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_154435.jpg
Closer look at the spoiler

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_154439.jpg
Front view

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_154502.jpg
Side view. Notice the latch that ensures the visor stays closed in case of a crash. MRP of Rs 33,799.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_154507.jpg
High quality lining

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_154518.jpg
Comes with a free dark visor which is a very good move by Airoh!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_155550.jpg
The visor opens up at only 3 levels. This is the mid position.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_155557.jpg
This is it fully opened.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_155605_hdr.jpg
This is it closed.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_155813.jpg
Detachable chin guard.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20200820_155937.jpg
Pin lock visor also comes in the box

All in all, considering you are getting a FIM approved helmet with a dark visor (these usually cost Rs 6K onwards and dont come packaged with other helmets) and a pin lock visor for Rs 34K, it does appear to be a pretty good deal.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks