Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2023, 19:14   #3871
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannvvs View Post
Which models is it by Royal Enfield. I liked RE's Drifter i.e. Rebranded Axor Brute, any idea about the helmet? It offers one of the best Field of View.
Its the RE Street Prime. While there are sight differences in shell shape toward the back, it is essentially the same helmet. The Rage's spares fit seamlessly too!

However, If I were to do it again, I would buy some other helmet, due to the noise, and lack of sunvisor as well as a pinlock compatible visor. I'm eyeing the LS2 FF800 next, have to save up for it
Old 8th October 2023, 19:52   #3872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
I'm eyeing the LS2 FF800 next, have to save up for it
Storm is my favourite helmet(solid white) but again out of my league, at the moment.

I have a budget of 5k(+ -) & have not been able to select a helmet for over a month & it is getting annoying now , it seems choosing a bike is easier than choosing riding gear, problem of plenty to be precise. . Last night I was checking balaclavas, so that I atleast tick one of the boxes quickly but there too, so many choices.

Last edited by Mannvvs : 8th October 2023 at 20:03.
Old 8th October 2023, 20:09   #3873
BHPian

Quote:
Last night I was checking balaclavas, so that I atleast tick one of the boxes quickly but there too, so many choices.
Balaclava I would recommend the Rynox Vapour Pro (600/-). I bought one from a store yesterday and it's very comfortable.
Old 8th October 2023, 21:05   #3874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Balaclava I would recommend the Rynox Vapour Pro (600/-). I bought one from a store yesterday and it's very comfortable.
Yes Rynox & Viaterra balaclavas are good but I wanted a cotton one, so I might buy Korda or TVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurAswale View Post

For gloves, I have settled on Axor Spyder leather gloves. Only CE certified full leather gloves in my budget.
I believe Axor Spyders are made of synthetic leather & not natural leather, nevertheless not a bad buy at this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
No doubt internal sun-visor is great, but over my few touring experiences, I have realised that one hardly needs them while touring. A good sunglass will do the trick. They also add up 50-100gms which was a trade off I was willing to make.
The situation changes though if the helmet is used for city commuting. Sun-visor can be useful in city runs.

I have purchased this helmet specifically for touring.
I thought the opposite was true, that one would require sunglasses while touring & not when commuting.

Regardless, I'm in the same boat, I don't want a sunvisor due to its extra weight, lesser field of view & MT hummer is at the top of my shortlisted helmets. I've been trying hard to get an answer, which you would be able to tell since I believe you own one, Sir. Does it have grooves/channels on the inner liner for the spectacles/sunglasses like thunder 3, ls2ff320 & other contenders have?

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th November 2023 at 21:07. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use the edit / multi quote feature instead of posting separate replies. Thank you.
Old 9th October 2023, 09:36   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Storm is my favourite helmet(solid white) but again out of my league, at the moment.

I have a budget of 5k(+ -) & have not been able to select a helmet for over a month & it is getting annoying now
I'd say the MT Hummer at this price. You can pick up a pinlock film later on. If you don't wear glasses, then you can use sunglasses under the helmet too!
Old 9th October 2023, 09:45   #3876

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Please do provide us with an approximate price range so that members here can make suitable recommendations
Budget can be upto 12-15k. It should be VFM also use case will be riding himalayan for long touring purposes
Old 9th October 2023, 13:08   #3877
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
I thought the opposite was true, that one would require sunglasses while touring & not when commuting.

Regardless, I'm in the same boat, I don't want a sunvisor due to its extra weight, lesser field of view & MT hummer is at the top of my shortlisted helmets. I've been trying hard to get an answer, which you would be able to tell since I believe you own one, Sir. Does it have grooves/channels on the inner liner for the spectacles/sunglasses like thunder 3, ls2ff320 & other contenders have?

That’s what I said. I find sunglasses comfortable while touring, but during city ride, a sun visor seems a better option.

No it doesn’t have grooves/lining for glasses, but you can wear them without much hassle. It will take sometime to adjusts to it. The best way is to go and check in person. MT Hummer is easily available in offline stores.
Old 9th October 2023, 13:27   #3878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
That’s what I said. I find sunglasses comfortable while touring, but during city ride, a sun visor seems a better option.
My apologies, I meant to say 'internal sunvisor' instead of sunglasses for touring(ig I can't edit my reply). I don't have much experience in motorcycle touring, have just started with it.

What makes sunglasses better for touring instead of internal sunvisor?
Speaking like layman, internal visor, atleast, seems better for longer distances, for one that it covers more area & secondly it would be more comfortable as there wouldn't be any arms rubbing against the temples of the head(esp. when there are no grooves in the helmet's lining & the fit is snug) or nosepads hitting the nose bridge. Yes, as far as the quality of lenses is concerned, sunglasses might be better depending on the model.

Kindly shed some light for a newbie like myself
Old 9th October 2023, 13:37   #3879
BHPian

For sedate riders, who do not intend to do off-roading, adventure riding, and stay sub 100-110kmph, are "Flip-up" modular helmets still a strict NO-NO from safety standpoint if they ride with chin-guard filled down & locked, when on highways ? SMK seems to have such a range, wondering if they might be fine.
Old 9th October 2023, 14:34   #3880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
How's Schuberth helmet, any experience? Never used one actually
I've owned a couple of C4 Pros (currently in use). They feel high quality to wear and are extraordinarily quiet and I used to love everything about them - still do. My main pet peeve is that the helmet lock clasp related parts (which is not double D styled) tends to rust pretty badly for some reason (within less than 2 years). This alone is reason enough for me to not buy one again.

This is not an issue I've faced on any other helmet to the best of my recollection. I do love modular helmets as a style and would want one in my stock at any given time. I'm using the Schuberth modulars in rotation now with a couple other helmets but whenever I'm in EU / Tokyo next, I think I'll get myself a Shoei modular. I'm using Shoei's adventure touring model and I'm really happy with the overall fit etc (although of course it cannot touch the Shuberth on the silence factor). The Shoei modular will complement the adventure touring model well - specially handy choice for long multi-day rides.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 16:52   #3881
Senior - BHPian

I had a bad experience with MT Atom, when it flipped up at high speed, and wouldn't lock down. There was something wrong with that mechanism, so am wary of modulars (Shoei Neotec and Schuberth have those models, but have to try those). But I am sure these other brands have got it absolutely bang on, as they're best sellers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
For sedate riders, who do not intend to do off-roading, adventure riding, and stay sub 100-110kmph, are "Flip-up" modular helmets still a strict NO-NO from safety standpoint if they ride with chin-guard filled down & locked, when on highways ? SMK seems to have such a range, wondering if they might be fine.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 17:24   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies, I meant to say 'internal sunvisor' instead of sunglasses for touring(ig I can't edit my reply). I don't have much experience in motorcycle touring, have just started with it.

What makes sunglasses better for touring instead of internal sunvisor?
Speaking like layman, internal visor, atleast, seems better for longer distances, for one that it covers more area & secondly it would be more comfortable as there wouldn't be any arms rubbing against the temples of the head(esp. when there are no grooves in the helmet's lining & the fit is snug) or nosepads hitting the nose bridge. Yes, as far as the quality of lenses is concerned, sunglasses might be better depending on the model.

Kindly shed some light for a newbie like myself

I am not a seasoned rider myself, so keep that in mind before following my thought process.
Sun visors definitely looks like a hassle free mechanism, especially for people with eye-glasses. But the sunvisor depletes quite quickly. They are prone to scratches, tend to get loose, and are not easily available as a replacement. They also add 50/100 gms. In city where the route is known and travelling is limited, these are not much of an issue, but for long distance touring, the view should be crystal clear. I toured with both types of helmet and personally prefer helmets without sunvisor as they are lighter and more comfortable for me. You can have a completely different experience and that’s absolutely ok.

I would also like to add that sunvisors are secondary parameters. Choose according to the primary points. For eg, even though I don’t like sunvisors, if I find a helmet that is comfortable and fits me well, I will buy it whether it has sunvisor or not.
NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 19:24   #3883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguana View Post
Budget can be upto 12-15k. It should be VFM also use case will be riding himalayan for long touring purposes
The LS2 FF800, FF811 and the MT Thunder 4 SV are great options at this price range. All of these are also ECE 22.06 compliant
Old 9th October 2023, 19:50   #3884
BHPian

Quote:

What makes sunglasses better for touring instead of internal sunvisor? ...
Right now I am using a second helmet with internal visor

Internal Sunvisor Pro:

1. It stays with the helmet. There is no additional hassle of carrying around and storing the sunglasses properly.

2. It can be operated with gloves and while on the move. You don't have to use both the arms to put on and take off the tint. This is very convenient when the light ( ambient ) changes suddenly. (like in monsoon or when you go through a tunnel / trees cover from bright open roads)

Internal Sunvisor Cons:

1. The mechanism can go kaput, considering how dusty your riding environment is and also if you drop your helmet. Dust accumulation is one of the major causes. These mechanism are operated using a slider on one side and are sensitive. Frequent cleaning should prevent this.

2. Getting an alternate sunvisor can be very hard and changing them may be even harder.

3. The sunvisor does not cover the entire view, especially the lower portion of the vision range. This can cause a bit of discomfort when you alternate your view to look at the rear view mirror or the motorcycle dash and the road ahead.

4. Helmets with sunvisor tend to be louder as there is a cavity where the visor is retracted into. This varies based on the model and how the intake vents are placed.

Sunglasses like the sports glasses tend to cover the entire vision range. Hence they can be more comfortable as the vision range will be uniform.

Also, some helmet visors do not get along with polarized lenses. They will throw up different glares in sunlight.

On a personal note, I have lost 2 sunglasses, so would prefer the internal sun visor.
skviknaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 23:04   #3885
Distinguished - BHPian

Ignyte IGN 4

Recently, there was some discussion about Ignyte's helmets on this thread. When I saw their flagship IGN 4 helmet in a store, I was keen to try it out. Unfortunately, they didnt have one in my size. While examining the helmet, one design aspect which stuck out like a sore thumb, was the fact that the inner sun visor doenst have an external mechanism to slide open or close. Instead, you have to lift the main visor and then push or pull the sun visor down, on the little notch built into the inner sun visor.

This design choice might have helped the company save some weight but its a nonsensical and unsafe implementation of an inner sun visor. Not to mention that this poorly designed sun visor will attract a ton of scratches in no time, as you can see in the photographs below. Only on account of this for this sub-par implementation, I will give the Ignyte IGN 4 helmet a thumbs down rating.

I hope the manufacturer takes rider feedback into consideration and upgrades the construction of the helmet.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231007_160535.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231007_160507.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231007_160521.jpg
neil.jericho is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks