Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2023, 23:08   #3931
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick look at the new Royal Enfield Optimus helmets

While I was at the Royal Enfield showroom to check out the new Himalayan (again!!!), I noticed that the new Royal Enfield Optimus helmet was a new addition to their merchandize stand. Honestly, I dont need a third helmet, much less a motocross style one which will let in sand, water and everything else through the huge uncovered front part of the helmet and the massive chin vent. And that is even before taking into consideration the fact that at high speeds, the helmet will catch wind like a mini parachute.

That said, for the price, the padding felt fine. If I buy the new Himalayan 450, I would be tempted to pick up the black Optimus helmet for gentlemanly hooning around the mean streets of Bangalore!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-6.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-7.jpeg
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 23:14   #3932
BHPian

Re: Quick look at the new Royal Enfield Optimus helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
That said, for the price, the padding felt fine. If I buy the new Himalayan 450, I would be tempted to pick up the black Optimus helmet for gentlemanly hooning around the mean streets of Bangalore!
Is the Helmet ECE Certified? The website says it is, but I don't see any stickering indicating the same. The Tags inside can confirm this, if you had a chance to check it out.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 10:47   #3933
BHPian

Re: Quick look at the new Royal Enfield Optimus helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I noticed that the new Royal Enfield Optimus helmet was a new addition to their merchandize stand.

That said, for the price, the padding felt fine.
The profile of the helmet looks similar to the Axor X-Cross Helmet

I'm not sure why RE prices their branded helmets more than the OEMs? Whereas for riding gears the collab is always the more affordable one. They are doing this for their Steelbird, Vega equivalent helmets too. May be some agreement to keep RE prices more so that both can co-exist!

Axor Helmets website says,
Quote:
STANDARDS

• Homologation - ECE R-22.05(Europe) DOT FMVSS NO. 218(US) Helmet Safety Standards
• ISI certified
Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 11:14   #3934

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives View Post
This time there was another person at the store who stepped in and tried to adjust the pinlock screw a bit, the patch size reduced considerably based on the screw adjustments but was not completely been removed.

I still see some minor patch on the visor, but it reduced to almost 20% of what was there earlier, will keep it under observation for a few days and see if it develops into a larger patch, accordingly will action on this.
Hi All - A quick update on the LS2 helmet pinlock issue I had highlighted about earlier. I was monitoring the helmet for a week now, used it for a 150KMs weekend ride as well, though the patch is not completely removed, it has reduced considerably. The very next day I brought the helmet back from the store last week after the reinstallation, the patch got a little bigger, I took a screwdriver and did some minor adjustments to the pinlock screw, since then the patch has been retained as a small one as you can see in the below image.

Quote:
They concluded that this could be a visor issue, said there is supposed to be an airlock created between the visor & the pinlock, but in this case that is not happening instead they are touching each other at certain spots and hence the patch. They asked me to send an email to L2 India asking for help, as the visor & pinlock doesn't cover under warranty normally. In case LS2 asks them to replace the visor they would, else they can't help further is what they told me.
The issue is kinda contained now, but not completely eliminated and there is no guarantee that this wouldn't resurface being a larger patch in near future too.

What do you guys suggest? Should I write to the LS2 India team and report this issue?

The challenge that I may face is that, this conversation with LS2 could go on for long and they may ask me to go to the store multiple times for inspection, trials, etc. am thinking if all that is really worth it... Kindly suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1005.jpeg  

BreezeRiDrives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 08:47   #3935
Team-BHP Support

Cross posting from my ownership thread
- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post5673700

Better half picked up this stunning new carbon fiber helmet for herself - the LS2 FF805 Thunder Plus Carbon.

Comes with claimed ECE 22.06 and ISI certifications, 100% carbon fiber shell, emergency release cheekpads, double D-ring, etc. Comes with a pin lock visor, an additional black visor, helmet support neck roll and an amazing carry bag.

I'm frankly blown away by the finishing and quality of this helmet- even in comparison to my new Shoei GT Air 2. The race helmets could be noisy I hear, but this is supposed to be the road version of the same. Fingers crossed! The FF805 also comes with an FIM approved race version which is supposed to be noisy.

Amazingly light weight at 1250kgs though!

Some pics:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231204_180708.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231204_180724.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231204_180855.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231204_180917.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231204_181003.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231204_181016.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231204_181231.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 01:52   #3936
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Continuing from my previous helmet dilemma, I too got a LS2 Thunder C. Tried out the R2R Pro at Race Nation but they did not have one my size. Incidentally, they had a TT course in XS size and it was a proper fit in the cheeks but I could still put a third of my finger at my temples and at the top of my head. It was also a proper headache to put my spectacles on in a helmet that small. I could only conclude that KYT shape is not for me having tried the smallest size available. Tried the LS2 Thunder once again a few days later and it was noticeably looser than the XS TT course but still quite snug around the cheeks. I could also slide more of my finger into it. At the 30k+ price point, LS2 was better than the NZ race. At this point I was frustrated that no helmet was a perfect fit. I had already waited two weeks for powersports to stock a small size MT revenge 2 anywhere in Bangalore and it just didn't seem to happen (still isn't available at the time of writing this). Truly it is interesting that we live in a world where we can fix our bikes after a crash with replacement parts sooner than getting a new helmet.

In the end, I was convinced to get the LS2 as it was the only one to come with a quick release system. I thought regardless of how good a snug fitting helmet is, it is worthless if some passer by decides to yank it off my head by force where I will be worse off with spinal injuries. The light weight and ECE 22.06 was a bonus and at the end of it, I was seeing a helmet that justified an upgrade, not a sidegrade like the KYTs and MTs. New stock sold me on the deal.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thunder001.jpg
Manufacturing month is mentioned in about 4 places. Made in China for what its worth.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thunder003.jpg
Certified in Spain (E9) https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post5438610 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet) Helps to check this as I have seen some Thunder helmets without an ECE sticker.

I've used this helmet for about 700km now in all kinds of conditions. Touring, rain, off road, trails, city and all I can say is it just works. The increased FOV is a revelation. Shoulder checks are so much easier. Ventilation good. Eye brow ventilation is quite nice but since I've been going out only when the weather is nippy I haven't had much chance to use it beyond the first time. I expect it to be tremendously useful in city traffic. I have it closed when touring because of noise concerns. I've had it pull my head a little bit in cross winds but I suspect that is because I still don't have the 'correct' size. Its either that or the fact that there is some gap between the padding at the top of the head and the helmet itself. I am not sure if this is to mount some headphones or something. I have not been able to replicate this issue consistently so I am more or less happy with this lid.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thunder002.jpg
The gap between the top padding and the shell where I suspect there is some airflow and noise which can potentially be filled with a headphones?.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thunder005.jpg
Mildly annoyed this sticker came out so early in its life.

Another issue others could face with this is the visor does not always stay at a mid position and flops down at times. Not an issue for me as I find partial openings to create a strong optical aberration at the visor edge that I prefer to avoid (same thing you find in windshields in ADV and sportsbikes). I suspect I have this issue because I might have botched my visor installation after installing the pinlock (which is easily fixable if you are even remotely mechanically inclined unlike me).

I have the exact same issue BreezeRiDrives had at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post5667551 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet) and I also bought it from Ryders Arena, only difference is that I installed the pinlock myself as I had the helmet delivered to me through a guy on a scoot (the irony of having a helmet delivered because you ride a motorcycle with no place to mount a helmet box and you are already wearing one). It is nowhere as bad as that case but the visor did fog up at slow speeds in the city after a couple of hours riding through thunderstorms on the highway. Later after the ride, I did notice that I had accidentally closed the chin lid (I have all other vents closed at all times, so effectively no vents were open at this point) when toggling the visor on and off, so this could be a one off thing. It is also possible that the pinlock had reached its capacity during the thunderstorm ride and gave up when I hit the city. Either way this is not a huge concern for me as my spectacles gets foggy anyway and that does not have pinlock so I open the visor at city speeds. I will try reapplying the pinlock and report if it is better.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thunder006.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thunder007.jpg
The visor is also EU certified (E9). The helmet is called Thunder Fang here lol. Would it kill LS2 to have a single name for their SKUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm frankly blown away by the finishing and quality of this helmet- even in comparison to my new Shoei GT Air 2.
Good to know that paying more only gets me a MM93 replica. I really wanted to get the black one that you have but I just could not justify taking the loss in visibility at night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The race helmets could be noisy I hear, but this is supposed to be the road version of the same. Fingers crossed! The FF805 also comes with an FIM approved race version which is supposed to be noisy.
I suspect the FIM version is just a licence and stickering exercise and expect this version to be about as noisy as the FIM lid which these guys seem have to tested With my 25dB SNR NRR earplugs, I am still looking at 85dB considering I don't always get a perfect fit in both ears. EU guidelines https://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/regulations.htm say that 85dB is acceptable for 8h per day per week which seems about enough for my touring aspirations. I monitored wind noise in a non ac train on a whim (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.noisecapture) and it turns out that it is also around 80-95dB at 100kmph and people do 12h journeys in them seemingly without much hearing loss, so I'd say this lid is good enough on that front. I guess that neck roll helps but I have no plans to cosplay a senior citizen with a neck brace while I ride.
hikozaru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 05:37   #3937
Senior - BHPian

What are the opinions of riders here on breath deflectors / nose protectors (?). Yay or nay?

Ditto for chin curtains. Do they 1) actually work as claimed, and 2) do the claimed benefits actually outweigh the downsides of a less airy more closed in helmet inside that feels a bit ... claustrophobic?

I'm sceptical. But I'd like to hear your views please.

Cheers, Doc
Old 7th December 2023, 07:19   #3938
Distinguished - BHPian

Picked up a shoei finally was thinking of getting a MM93 X-14 from sometime, finally got along picking america limited edition one on my trip to Thailand. This has a very good snug fit, but I expect it to be a little noisy due to this being more track oriented. Unfortunately they were out of stock when it comes to tinted visor, so will have to wait to get a Blue, Iridium or a mirror finish visor.

Helmet got matte finish and flourscent paint and looks very good. This now joins my scorpion R1 air and HJC RPHA 70 ST.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231205_205503.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231205_205510.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231205_205520.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20231205_205534.jpg
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 10:26   #3939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What are the opinions of riders here on breath deflectors / nose protectors (?). Yay or nay?

Ditto for chin curtains.
Both are removable/detachable, so why worry?

- Breath deflector works if you exhale through the nose!

- Chin curtain definitely prevents the flow of air resulting in less noise at the compromise of less ventilation.

Winter is the best time to test it as you can feel the cool air flow touching your skin (without balaclava). Also without the deflector, fogging up the visor with your breath! But working of both depends on how the helmet sits on your head, I've not bothered to remove them from both of my lids.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 11:02   #3940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
- Chin curtain definitely prevents the flow of air resulting in less noise at the compromise of less ventilation.

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
Thank you for confirming what I suspected. Both do compromise on your feeling of airiness inside the helmet and breathing. If you don't like closed spaces, then claustrophobia too.

Also, I suspect a slightly constricted field of vision too, as the deflector is bang in center of your vision field from 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 23:18   #3941
BHPian

Hello guys

I currently use 2 helmets, HJC FG-17( For my dominar) and TVS Xpod(For my Jupiter). I'm planning to replace the TVS Xpod for something newer as it's a very old helmet. My budget is around 6-8K. My requirements are :
- Comfortable with spectacles.
- No fancy graphics (Would preferably want grey as it matches with my scooter ).
- Light and premium helmet (Office travel is 60 kms total).

I like the look of KYT TT Course Matt black. Would love to know how it fares in day to day usage and any other options in this budget range.

Thanks in advance
Old 10th December 2023, 12:31   #3942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I suspect a slightly constricted field of vision too, as the deflector is bang in center of your vision field from 5 o'clock to 7 o'clock.

Cheers, Doc
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screenshot_20231210122729363_com.android.chrome.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 11:32   #3943

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
I have the exact same issue BreezeRiDrives had at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ml#post5667551 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet) and I also bought it from Ryders Arena, only difference is that I installed the pinlock myself ...
I will try reapplying the pinlock and report if it is better.
Try out reapplying the pinlock; In case that doesn't work, you may need to meddle with the pinlock screws a bit, adjust it slightly until you see the patch getting smaller, it worked for me and now the contact patch has completely vanished. All the best.

Quote:

Ditto for chin curtains. Do they 1) actually work as claimed, and 2) do the claimed benefits actually outweigh the downsides of a less airy more closed in helmet inside that feels a bit ... claustrophobic?

I'm sceptical. But I'd like to hear your views please.

Cheers, Doc
Breath deflectors / Nose protectors - This could come in handy for diverting the rider's breath hitting the visor directly, in case you do not use a balaclava.
This could be really useful if you have the habit of riding with the internal sun visor down, keeping the main visor open. This wind deflector would effectively divert the oncoming wind to pass over the sun visor and give a fair level of air deflection, without having the air & dust to rush into the helmet and eventually end up on your face. This works well only in cases where the nose guards are well designed, works like a charm on my LS2.

Chin Curtains - Its really helpful for Vloggers & intercom users (mic would pickup less distortion) and those who prefer less wind noise (at lower to moderate speeds). It certainly would make you feel claustrophobic and warm inside the helmet; More importantly, the worst downside I face with it on my helmet are:-
1. The chin curtain would pull the balaclava down from my nose while wearing the helmet
2. It would rub against the bottom of my nose while removing the helmet
Both are annoying but the latter is painful as well, as my LS2 has a thicker flap kind of finishing.
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2023, 15:22   #3944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Breath deflectors / Nose protectors - This could be really useful if you have the habit of riding with the internal sun visor down, keeping the main visor open. This wind deflector would effectively divert the oncoming wind to pass over the sun visor and give a fair level of air deflection, without having the air & dust to rush into the helmet and eventually end up on your face.
Excellent point buddy. With the main visor up, it does act like a barrier to fill up the space between the main chin bar of the helmet and the lower edge of the sun visor.

However, can you really ride with the main visor up when the sun visor down?? Will the open main visor not act like a sail and catch air causing severe drag and buffeting at speed?

Quote:
Chin Curtains - Its really helpful for Vloggers & intercom users (mic would pickup less distortion) and those who prefer less wind noise (at lower to moderate speeds). It certainly would make you feel claustrophobic and warm inside the helmet; More importantly, the worst downside I face with it on my helmet are:-
1. The chin curtain would pull the balaclava down from my nose while wearing the helmet
2. It would rub against the bottom of my nose while removing the helmet
Both are annoying but the latter is painful as well, as my LS2 has a thicker flap kind of finishing.
Good seat of the pants input again. I'm certainly no blogger, and my chin curtain is not that obtrusive (its a plain C shaped mesh). I've not worn a balaclava yet with it, but certainly have never noticed it touching my nose. But it does make holding the helmet with the chin bar while walking to and away from the bike a tad fiddly.

I guess I'm getting used to both.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 13th December 2023 at 15:24.
Old 13th December 2023, 19:27   #3945

Quote:
However, can you really ride with the main visor up when the sun visor down?? Will the open main visor not act like a sail and catch air causing severe drag and buffeting at speed?
Cheers, Doc
It really depends on the bike & the speeds you do, to be honest. Mine is a Versys, it has a good wind deflector, which keeps the air drag under check, until about 80KMPH, beyond that I will certainly feel the wind buffeting, unless I tuck-in a bit. Any bike with a decent windshield could give similar outcome. You may have noticed many riders using those offroad helmets with the beak on top, on highways, which can create the drag, technically, but most of the ADVs would let you get away with it, at moderate speeds.

On a naked bike, you can do a max 30-40KMPH before you feel the wind buffeting though, with an open visor.

Quote:
I'm certainly no blogger, and my chin curtain is not that obtrusive (its a plain C shaped mesh). I've not worn a balaclava yet with it, but certainly have never noticed it touching my nose. But it does make holding the helmet with the chin bar while walking to and away from the bike a tad fiddly.

I guess I'm getting used to both.

Cheers, Doc
My helmet is an LS2, I got a very snug one and its quite new as well, still in the break-in period, hence its tough to get inside that. So while wearing and removing, the chin curtain touches my nose unfortunately. All sides are quite tight, sometimes I feel I should have gone one size up, but this is the small price I pay for safety.
The Chin curtain can also help if you use an intercom or use a Bluetooth or wired headphone to take calls during the ride, else it can really be noisy and difficult for the people on the other side. And yes, holding the helmet is a task with all the fittings and the thick paddings of the premium helmets these days. One needs to identify a way to hold it comfortably/ safely and get used to it. I either hang it at the strap (after attaching both the ends) using my fingers or hold it at my hip like a pot, parallel to my pot belly, replicating it.
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks