Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2024, 16:16   #4036
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I had been hunting for a good helmet with a clear visor as my LS2 FF352 (which I bought in 2015) has a mercury visor which is not ideal for evening rides (I don't do night rides...yet). Wanted to go for a new brand in a similar-ish quality and price range as the FF352 is quite comfortable and has been bullet proof since my purchase.

I found SMK to be quite appealing and similar to LS2s. More importantly, the outlet to check it out was within reach and remains open till 2000 hrs (unlike most stores which close around 1900). Headed straight to the Studds/SMK outlet in Paharganj last night after office. Had already researched which range of helmets suited me, but did not want to buy online as I wear specs and wanted to try the helmet on while wearing them.

I had initially thought the SMK Typhoon range (~5k) should be good enough, but found their Titan range to be much better (~9k). After some haggling, the owner gave me a 10% discount so bought it for 8.1k (I checked online and the lowest price on Amazon was 8.8k and 8.5k elsewhere). Rode to office this morning with my new helmet and its pretty good, especially the inbuilt sun visor. The only issue I faced is that the size of the helmet is quite large (as compared to my FF352). But overall a nice and comfortable helmet
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-untitled.jpg  

ds.raikkonen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 01:25   #4037
BHPian

Hey fellow riders, I want to share my helmet experiences with all. But first, let me rewind a bit. Back in 2017 during my college days, I started off with a half-face helmet from a Royal Enfield dealership after taking delivery of RE TB350. It did the job of protecting me from getting any fines, it was basic.

As I got more into riding, I realized the importance of a full-face helmet. So, I upgraded to a RE-STREET PRIME HELMET with ISI and DOT certification, I wasn't aware of which certification was better back then, having a realization ECE 2205 would have been better. But I made sure the fit was tight, as for my long hair with dreadlocks; picked XL Size to get a tight fit. Well, now the hilarious part was after a few years I shaved my head #pokerface and the helmet became too loose. I managed with bandanas for a while, but it wasn't ideal.

After nearly 5 years of use and a better understanding of helmet requirements, I decided it was time for a new one. Following thorough research, I concluded that my next helmet must feature a double D-ring for enhanced security, as the quick micrometric system falls short in terms of safety compared to the traditional double-D. It also needed to meet the latest safety standards, such as ECE 2206 or FIA FRHPhe.02. Ventilation was a priority, and I was willing to compromise on aesthetics, favoring standard solid black or white colors. However, to my surprise, I couldn't find any helmets meeting all these criteria in the Indian market by mid-2023. While options like the MT Thunder 4 were available, they lacked the double-D ring system. Models with both double D and ECE 22:06 certification hadn't been introduced in India yet. Although the MT KRE+ was an option, its price of 40k exceeded my budget, prompting me to explore alternatives from other brands. With no other choice but to import the helmet of my choice, I sifted through numerous options from brands like Bell, HJC, and Scorpion. Ultimately, I settled on the AGV K1-S in Matte Black. This time, I meticulously measured and opted for a size smaller, ensuring a snug fit, and selected an L-size.

The next major hurdle was figuring out how to import it. Browsing through various websites and navigating price comparisons and procedures proved to be quite a hassle. Eventually, I stumbled upon a website called bikegear.in, which claimed to deliver the helmet to my doorstep at a fixed cost, sparing me the trouble. However, I hesitated due to doubts about the website's credibility, especially since their site had been down for a considerable period. Resorting to contact them through Instagram, I couldn't shake off a sense of skepticism as scamming people in India is increasing day by day. Despite my initial reservations, I decided to delve deeper, scouring through customer reviews before ultimately taking the plunge and placing my order with them. Initially quoted at 22k, the price mysteriously increased to 23k during my interaction with their representative. Without engaging in any argument, I simply proceeded with the purchase.

Here, comes the next shady part of the deal, as their website was down, I couldn't place the order conventionally. Instead, they sent me a payment link that seemed outdated and questionable. Despite my reservations, I decided to trust the person and proceeded with the payment using my credit card[zero liability comes for help], hoping for the best. The promised delivery time was 3-4 weeks, but when that deadline passed without a delivery, I thought well looks like I have been scammed.

After reaching out to the person, they surprisingly informed me that the delay was due to sourcing from their Italian supplier, which brought a sense of relief. However, the actual delivery took a few days longer than the promised two weeks. While this discrepancy left me feeling uncertain and disappointed, I eventually received my helmet intact, putting an end to the wait. Though the experience was somewhat unsettling, I can now confirm that they are indeed an authentic dealer. Hopefully, they will address their website issues and improve their delivery timelines going forward. My order, placed on September 22, 2023, arrived on November 6, 2023, totaling 46 days. Given the complexities of importing, I'm curious to hear from fellow Team-BHP members about their experiences—please do share your insights!

Now, let me share my brief experience with the helmet. It checks off all the key requirements:
- It meets the ECE22.06 standard.
- It features a double D-ring for secure fastening.
- The ventilation system includes 2 rear extractors and 5 front vents.
For more detailed information, you can visit their official website.
https://www.agv.com/cz/en/k1-s-matt-...394001029.html

The most critical aspect of the helmet is its fit—it should be perfect and snug, without any movement at high speeds. Constructed from high-resistance thermoplastic material, it comes in two shell sizes with four-density EPS, offering options for a perfect fit. Although fewer shell sizes reduce costs, the helmet maintains a premium design akin to the K6, crafted from top-quality materials. For me, the L size fits perfectly now, though it was initially a bit tight as I adjusted to the double D-ring fastening system. With practice and some instructional videos, I've become adept at quickly donning the helmet. While the helmet boasts excellent ventilation, resulting in some wind noise, this can be mitigated with earplugs—I use 3M ones for now. The visor provides a crystal-clear view, even at night, and doesn't cause discomfort from high beams, unlike my previous helmet. With various visor shade options and the option to add Pinlock separately, I've found no significant drawbacks so far. While there's a bit of wind noise, it's a reasonable compromise for superior ventilation. Overall, despite the premium price, I consider it excellent value for money, depending on individual preferences.

I hope this was helpful and entertaining to read, despite its length. I wanted to share this story with some detail, as the entire process was fascinating to me. Thanks for taking the time to read it!
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hl001.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hl002.png  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hl003.png  

nidhinpr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 16:56   #4038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kottayamkaran View Post
I have already ordered one. Will check the date once I get it.
Did you receive it? What was the manufacturing date?
Old 28th March 2024, 17:00   #4039
BHPian

Got this Airoh Valor lid today. Ordered it from FC-Moto. Took 10 days for delivery.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2525.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2524.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2526.jpg

Helmet cost - 87.82 € (8000 INR)

Pinlock visor - 27.86 € (2500 INR)

Shipping - 30€ (2700 INR)

Here's the bummer: the furious chaps at customs slapped a duty of 5500 INR making the landing cost on par with local retailing price.

Chose this primarily for the 5* SHARP rating and the lid feels pretty light, offers great ventilation and nice color schemes.
Pferdestarke is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 06:10   #4040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Got this Airoh Valor lid today. Ordered it from FC-Moto. Took 10 days for delivery.

Chose this primarily for the 5* SHARP rating and the lid feels pretty light, offers great ventilation and nice color schemes.
That's a great looking lid you got there. While you may have paid a bit more than expected, this is a really good brand. I've been using an 'Airoh Spark' for more than 3 years now and it's held up well.

The only bummer is the lack of spares - visor, pinlock etc. But now that Airoh's back in India, maybe the situation will improve.
SilverMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 11:21   #4041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post

Attachment 2587660

Attachment 2587659

Attachment 2587661

Helmet cost - 87.82 € (8000 INR)

Pinlock visor - 27.86 € (2500 INR)

Shipping - 30€ (2700 INR)

Here's the bummer: the furious chaps at customs slapped a duty of 5500 INR making the landing cost on par with local retailing price.

8000+2700+5500 works out to be 16k+ . Valor was recently launched in India for 17k
Old 8th April 2024, 19:10   #4042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMachine View Post
The only bummer is the lack of spares - visor, pinlock etc. But now that Airoh's back in India, maybe the situation will improve.
No longer an issue I guess. The official distribution partner (High Note Performance) stock most of the parts. If not, we can any day order from stores like FC-Moto.
Old 9th April 2024, 21:19   #4043
BHPian

Picked up this Shark Spartan RS Carbon Skin Gloss Black Helmet today in Singapore. Costed $480 singapore dollars or about 30k rupees. This usually retails for $692 Singapore dollars but was able to negotiate it down. This is the same as Shark Spartan RS but in the carbon fibre avatar. Tried it and walked around for a good 20 mins before pulling the trigger. They threw in a free balaklava and a decent carry bag!

I tried all other popular brands as well. Shoei was good but didn't have Small size in the plain colour. The graphic one was costing $730. Arai was not very comfortable to wear and S size was not available in my preference. HJC was good but the Shark felt very snug and comfortable overall.

This model is 22.06 certified and comes with pinlock 120 and double D ring. The ventilation I have heard is not as good as the others but fitting felt better.

Does anybody know if we get the visor for this model in India or should I just pick it up here? I will be here for a couple of more days so can buy that also. It was $75 here in the store.

I am planning to hand carry this in my backpack. I hope there will not be any issues with customs. I guess i will have to remove all the tags and labels to make it look like a used one.

They also had a local intercom for $55 that they claimed 35 hours on one charge as opposed to 7 hours on a sena. Not sure about how long the local one would last.

Is a Bluetooth headset absolutely necessary?

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201921.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201913.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201440.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201431.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201226.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201155.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201143.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201113.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201104.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201051.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201026.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20240409201018.jpg

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 9th April 2024 at 21:41.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 23:56   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I will be here for a couple of more days so can buy that also. It was $75 here in the store.

I am planning to hand carry this in my backpack. I hope there will not be any issues with customs. I guess i will have to remove all the tags and labels to make it look like a used one.

Is a Bluetooth headset absolutely necessary?
Lovely lid Naveen. Remember to get VAT cash back at Singapore airport if you have done the necessary paperwork at the shop.

I would pick up the visor there itself as getting parts here could be a pain.

Hand carrying the helmet here shouldn’t be an issue with customs. I have got a helmet from Singapore earlier into Mumbai and there were no issues.

A Bluetooth headset is up to your needs or preference. If you like listening to music or would like to stay connected while on the bike with calls or stay connected with riding buddies then get it. Get a proper branded one if you are buying it, not something local, it’s always better in the long run.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 9th April 2024 at 23:57.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 09:07   #4045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
A Bluetooth headset is up to your needs or preference. If you like listening to music or would like to stay connected while on the bike with calls or stay connected with riding buddies then get it. Get a proper branded one if you are buying it, not something local, it’s always better in the long run.
Thanks for the info. I picked up a spare visor with pin lock. I am sorted now.

The store didn't charge any tax for me, so no need to get any GST details for refund at the airport.

I will come back and decide on the Bluetooth headset later. I still need to buy riding gear (jacket, pants, gloves etc)

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th April 2024 at 20:55. Reason: Trimmed the quoted post for better readability. Thanks.
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 12:45   #4046
BHPian

Guys ,
Any suggestions for lightweight helmets with ECE 22.06? Lightest preferred. Budget along the ones i'll mention below.
Currently looking at the LS2 FF805 carbon. Another model not available in India is the LS2 FF811 vector carbon with inner visor. I prefer an inner visor but the FF811 is not shown on the LS2 India site. An issue for me is that these won't be available to try on in my city.

Last edited by Senotrius : 11th April 2024 at 12:47.
Old 11th April 2024, 15:12   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Guys ,
Any suggestions for lightweight helmets with ECE 22.06? Lightest preferred. Budget along the ones i'll mention below.
Currently looking at the LS2 FF805 carbon. Another model not available in India is the LS2 FF811 vector carbon with inner visor. I prefer an inner visor but the FF811 is not shown on the LS2 India site. An issue for me is that these won't be available to try on in my city.
Recently bought the Tiivra AlterEgo 2.0 helmet... It was an online purchase but their sizing chart is accurate and helps you choose the right size. The full face helmet weighs in at 1350 gms with all vents and spoiler. Used it for a 300kms ride and the difference between my earlier SMK/LS2 which weigh in at close to 1700gms is very evident. The strain on the neck is almost gone and the eyeport seems to be bigger giving better visibility. Comes at close to 10k but for the lightness and at least the marketing material calling it a composite fiber helmet, I feel it is worth a try.
Old 11th April 2024, 15:22   #4048
BHPian

The LS2 rapid 2 is also 1300gms and ECE 22.06 but unavailable in India. It'll also be cheaper than the carbon models I mentioned above. Most 2024 LS2 models i believe is not available on the official India site.
There's variation in the description as well. On the international website, the weight (of FF805) is 1280gm while here it's 1350gm.

Last edited by Senotrius : 11th April 2024 at 15:27.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 16:13   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
The LS2 rapid 2 is also 1300gms and ECE 22.06 but unavailable in India. It'll also be cheaper than the carbon models I mentioned above. Most 2024 LS2 models i believe is not available on the official India site.
There's variation in the description as well. On the international website, the weight (of FF805) is 1280gm while here it's 1350gm.
Not sure what the deal is with LS2. When enquired locally at shops, most of them mentioned that they are trying for ISI and re-release them due to which many models in fact most are not available for sale in India currently. Not sure of the authenticity of this information. But I was waiting for nearly 3 months to replace my 5 year old helmet and was not finding them being stocked while many MT and Axxor models were readily available. But since I wanted a light helmet, I went with Tiivra and for the one short ride (Got it only a week ago) it has met the expectations and in fact in terms of comfort it has exceeded the expectation.
Old 12th April 2024, 06:32   #4050
BHPian

An informational article by Revzilla on different helmet certifications and tests -

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...cations-041124
shyamg28 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks