Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2023, 20:23   #3946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The fake LS2 business happened 10 years ago. Those days are long gone.
That's good to hear. I always stayed away from LS2 because of the news about fakes.
These days there are a lot of fakes of Shoei, Arai and AGV. Some shops sell them as "first copy" for 5-6K. Though not ethical, it's still ok as the people who are buying them are fully aware that they are not buying the originals and also paying accordingly.
What is more worrying though is many sellers selling them as originals and charging high prices accordingly.
Today I was looking out for Carbon fibre helmets. Checked out the Axor Rage (8K), Axor Apex (11K) and SMK Titan (12K). The Apex and Titan were as heavy as the polycarbonate models. The Rage felt a bit lighter. There was also a NEXX (not Carbon Fibre) which felt lighter than the 3 Carbon Fibre Helmets. Royal Enfield also sells a Carbon Fibre helmet called the Retono (7K). Need to check this one out too.
From what I understand the real good Carbon Fibre helmets have 6-9 Layers of Carbon Fibre for the shell whereas the above mentioned ones have only the outermost layer of Carbon Fibre and the rest of the layers in Polycarbonate or Fibre Glass. Thats the reason they are cheaper and heavier.
I still remember seeing a NEXX Carbon Fibre helmet at the Vega store around 7 years ago when I bought my Axor. It was quite light but the price was around 45K.
Old 19th December 2023, 10:38   #3947

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Today I was looking out for Carbon fibre helmets. Checked out the Axor Rage (8K), Axor Apex (11K) and SMK Titan (12K). The Apex and Titan were as heavy as the polycarbonate models. The Rage felt a bit lighter. There was also a NEXX (not Carbon Fibre) which felt lighter than the 3 Carbon Fibre Helmets. Royal Enfield also sells a Carbon Fibre helmet called the Retono (7K). Need to check this one out too.
From what I understand the real good Carbon Fibre helmets have 6-9 Layers of Carbon Fibre for the shell whereas the above mentioned ones have only the outermost layer of Carbon Fibre and the rest of the layers in Polycarbonate or Fibre Glass. Thats the reason they are cheaper and heavier.
I still remember seeing a NEXX Carbon Fibre helmet at the Vega store around 7 years ago when I bought my Axor. It was quite light but the price was around 45K.
Stay away from any helmet that are tagged and sold with a label of "Carbon Fiber" that are priced below 25K. They may have a small strip of carbon somewhere to be eligible to be called as "Carbon Fiber" helmet or it may just be the graphics or the color scheme that makes it carbon fiber category. There could even be fine prints on the documentations/ product tag that mentions that "this is just the brand/ model name and it doesn't suggest the actual content of the product", like we see in some other products in the market.
When I was looking for a light-weight helmet recently, even I had kept the Axor & SMK Titan Carbon helmets as my options, but when I tried them, found them all to be as heavy as the non-carbon versions of the same model. A few of the trusted store guys told me there is not a spec of Carbon Fiber in any of these helmets priced under 25K in India, they are all either "graphics model name" or they would have some small components somewhere just to make the tagline and call it a genuine Carbon construction, which technically is then true.
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:11   #3948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezeRiDrives View Post
Stay away from any helmet that are tagged and sold with a label of "Carbon Fiber" that are priced below 25K. .
Well obviously they will not be "Premium" helmets but they can't be worse than polycarbonate helmets in a similar price range. "Stay Away" is a bit harsh to say.

Quote:
They may have a small strip of carbon somewhere to be eligible to be called as "Carbon Fiber" helmet
Like I mentioned in the post, these helmets use carbon fibre only on the outermost layer and not for all layers.

Quote:
or it may just be the graphics or the color scheme that makes it carbon fiber category. There could even be fine prints on the documentations/ product tag that mentions that "this is just the brand/ model name and it doesn't suggest the actual content of the product", like we see in some other products in the market.
This is definitely not the case with with the Axor Rage, Axor Apex and SMK Titan which definitely use some carbon fibre. It will probably be the same for the Royal Enfield Retono but I need to verify the same.

Quote:
When I was looking for a light-weight helmet recently, even I had kept the Axor & SMK Titan Carbon helmets as my options, but when I tried them, found them all to be as heavy as the non-carbon versions of the same model.
I noticed the same with the SMK Titan and Axor Apex. The Axor Rage was actually lighter.

Quote:
A few of the trusted store guys told me there is not a spec of Carbon Fiber in any of these helmets priced under 25K in India, they are all either "graphics model name" or they would have some small components somewhere just to make the tagline and call it a genuine Carbon construction, which technically is then true.
Again "Not a spec" is an exaggeration. The entire outer layer is real carbon fibre. The inner layers are polycarbonate or fibreglass.

At the end of the day:
- These helmets are definitely not as good as the premium full carbon fibre helmets. However they are also priced much lower.
- These helmets are definitely as good as (if not better) the normal polycarbonate or fibreglass helmets. The slight premium you pay for this is also justified.
- These helmets come with the ISI, ECE and DOT Certifications and so not dangerous to use.
Old 19th December 2023, 12:39   #3949
Senior - BHPian

When you bond carbon fiber to polycarbonate, there is much higher chance od delamination of the carbon layers. So it is in my opinion not true that a little bit of carbon is better than no carbon at all.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:43   #3950

Quote:
Well obviously they will not be "Premium" helmets but they can't be worse than polycarbonate helmets in a similar price range. "Stay Away" is a bit harsh to say.
What I meant was, stay away from them if you are looking for real "Carbon Fiber" shell construction helmets, as they do not really qualify to be in that league. People choose to go with a Carbon fiber helmets for a few reasons, and none are valid in these examples, except for the looks, hence my statement and I stand by it. No offence.
Many, if not all of them are ISI, ECE & DOT certified, and I wouldn't dare to say they aren't safe, they work absolutely fine and would certainly save one's head.

Quote:
Again "Not a spec" is an exaggeration. The entire outer layer is real carbon fibre. The inner layers are polycarbonate or fibreglass.
As I mentioned, those were the exact words from the store guys, I haven't personally validated it. One of them said they had seen a cracked open SMK Titan carbon helmet and there was no trace of carbon fiber in the shell.
BreezeRiDrives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 18:40   #3951
Senior - BHPian

I'm quoting some really old posts so don't jump on me and say "You've just replied to a 5 year old post". I think some of the really old posts in this thread are still relevant today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
Do we get replacements for the Vega Axor? like inner visors, interior linings and exhaust vents. External visors are available as per their website.
I purchased one of the early Axor models (P-2 / You'll find pics a few pages behind). I've been hunting for a chin curtain (I lost it when I was drying the lining after a wash) and replacement visors. The are not available. I suspect they only give replacements only for the models which are no more than a couple of years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Look what happened to my almost 1 year old SOL helmet liners:
This brand seems to have vanished from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_cherian View Post
So, traded the SF-1 in for an SF-5 Alpha A DOT certified helmet for around 6K.
By "traded" did you mean you sold/exchanged the old helmet and got a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Turns out, that my helmet is actually a LS2 manufactured in India by Vega, with ISI mark on it.
Never knew that Vega manufactured LS2. AFAIK LS2 is a Chinese brand.

Quote:
Also, what do you guys do with the old lids? throw them away? Exchange them for some scrap value like we do with old vehicle batteries and tyres?
I'm curious to know. I've so far discarded a MPA, Studds and 2 open face helmets (forgot the name) in the garbage.
Several people have posted that they have upgraded their Shoei, Arai & AGV helmets to better ones from these brands. I'm particularly curious to know what they did. It's a bit difficult to throw something you paid 20-50K for into the garbage.
Someone had posted that he planned to place his old helmets on a display shelf at home after doing some customisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REManiac78 View Post
Hi. Can anyone help me with a user feedback or review on the Airoh ST710 helmet? It's a carbon fibre shell with some good graphics and even has a black hi-viz version available. Motoin.de retail price (post discount and VATbenefit) seems attractive to ship it to India as well. Look forward to feedback from fellow riders
Airoh was one of the brands sold in Vega stores (and website) under the "Imported Series" section. Looks like they are no longer associated with Vega.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I had seen the Nexx XR1 Carbon and loved the look. That model is discontinued now, there is the XR2 Carbon Pure among the XR2 range (of which I like some other, non-carbon models too).
I had seen the XR1 in the Vega Store years ago. Was so tempted to pick it up but the 22-23K discounted price (MRP was 45K) was still too much for me. A friend picked up the only 2 pieces they had in the store for himself and his wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Which bluetooth equipped helmet is good for calls? Budget is not fixed, but for sure, not above 20K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
There are no Bluetooth equipped helmets in india at least.
I guess Studds has a BT equipped model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hello ethanhunt,

Help us understand why not Airoh? Why it does not qualify for, "a well reputed & rated brand?"

LS2 has a problem of fakes which are sometimes sold as fakes at cheaper prices and sometimes not!

The feel & experience of an Airoh is very good! We want to understand why you're writing them off? Any personal experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
As you rightly said - too many fake LS2 in the market. For Airoh - the helmet you suggested doesnt have either ECE or DOT rating (atleast i couldnt find it). Why risk your head on it then rather than buying a ECE/DOT rated HJC.
Reading through the entire thread I noticed that a lot of people are showering exxecissive love on HJC and MT without giving any specific reasons and data. Similarly a lot of hate is being showered on brands like Airoh, AGV and Axor again without giving specific reasons.
Brands like Nolan, Revolt, Suomy don't find many mentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
So finally went ahead and bought the Scorpion exo 1400 carbon, a light weight and superbly constructed helmet.
Seems like a good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Meet Forcite. The smart helmet
https://Youtu.be/13X8WmjfxCU
I feel that all helmets now need to come with smart features. Cameras for bloggers and at least BT for general users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
The SMK one is for 11k:

https://motocentral.in/products/smk-...32252563292225

There's an Axor one too for 8k, they claim 1290 gm weight. Would be quite an interesting choice if it's indeed a CF shell, the listing doesn't give a lot of info though.

https://www.axorhelmets.com/index.ph...product_id=223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Like RiderZone mentioned, it is for 11K. I've seen the Axor Carbon Fibre helmet, the lining is nothing to write home about.
Between the Axor Rage, Axor Apex and SMK Titan Carbon helmets, The Rage was the lightest but the Apex had better features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Took delivery of an Ather 450x over the weekend. Purchased a helmet as well, an Axxor Joker edition to go with it from Biker's den, Chennai. Cost me 6.5k
Riding after a decade and it feels very engaging.
Does the helmet into the boot of the Ather? I have an Ather and my Axor does not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
There are not many options to select ECE 22.06 helmets. There were only MT 4 helmets with ECE 22.06 available in the shop and only one design for my head size.
A very important point. Surprised that there not not much discussion on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A little birdie tells me that Airoh will soon be making a return to the market with its full range of helmets.
This is your 3rd or 4th post about the birdie. Is it the same birdie or multiple birdie's giving you info .
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 19:35   #3952
ike
BHPian

Quote:

Does the helmet into the boot of the Ather? I have an Ather and my Axor does not fit.
Mine doesn't fit either. Have to hand carry it everywhere I go.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 19:55   #3953
Senior - BHPian

Since I have some time to buy the helmet, I have read this entire thread. I have watched several video reviews of most of the models and still watching. Helmet has to be a full face, should have pinock and have cutouts for a communication system. No matte finish. Size is small. Helmet will be used for riding an Interceptor (yet to be bought) and an Ather. Will be nice if it fits in the boot of the Ather but not necessary. I can live with the inconvenience of carrying it around. My wife also needs a helmet in the same size so if budget permits, I'll prefer to buy the same helmet I'm buying.

Looking at the following options:

1. Budget options between 5-15K. Obviously will have to be the local brands like MT, THH, Axor, SMK, Ignyte and maybe some entry level import in the price range.

2. Slightly Premium Options between 16-30K (Maybe stretch a bit). These will obviously be imports like Bell, AGV, Arai, Shoei, HJC, Nolan/X-Lite, Shark, Scorpion etc. Now with the ISI fiasco, I'll have to pick up abroad. Don't know where my next ship is trading but I should find a place where I can pic up something nice.

Some helmets I really liked were the Axor Apex Carbon, SMK Titan Carbon and the Bell Qualifier. Will shortlist a few more after watching more videos.

Looking for your valuable suggestions in both categories along with the approximate prices in India as well as abroad.
Old 22nd December 2023, 10:53   #3954

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj
There are not many options to select ECE 22.06 helmets. There were only MT 4 helmets with ECE 22.06 available in the shop and only one design for my head size.
A very important point. Surprised that there not not much discussion on this subject.
This statement is not true in today’s (December-2023) context, as there are more companies offering ECE 22.06 certified helmets.
LS2, MT, Axxis, Ignite are a few brands to name, with many more in pipeline. Its just a matter of time.

Quote:

Quote:
Also, what do you guys do with the old lids? throw them away? Exchange them for some scrap value like we do with old vehicle batteries and tyres?
I'm curious to know. I've so far discarded a MPA, Studds and 2 open face helmets (forgot the name) in the garbage.
Several people have posted that they have upgraded their Shoei, Arai & AGV helmets to better ones from these brands. I'm particularly curious to know what they did. It's a bit difficult to throw something you paid 20-50K for into the garbage.
Someone had posted that he planned to place his old helmets on a display shelf at home after doing some customisation.
How about this for a discarded helmet being repurposed..?
Note: Not my setup, got this as a forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_1087.jpeg  

BreezeRiDrives is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 11:42   #3955
BHPian

Does any of the members have any experience or feedback on the Korda helmets? I am looking at a modular/flip up helmet for daily city commute and the Korda Discovery fits the bill. Looking to pick one up in Bangalore
Old 12th January 2024, 11:49   #3956
BHPian

Looks like LS2 have updated their entry level ff352 helmet. It was always a good light weight entry level helmet, but came only with a mercury tinted visor. They've gone and fixed it now. It gets a pinlock visor with a fogcity antifog lens and a new spoiler for the looks, making it very good entry level sharp 4 rated helmet imo.

https://ls2helmetsindia.com/product/...mon-white-red/

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screenshot_2024011120513529_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
Grimlock is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 09:48   #3957

Hi All,
I'm planning to get back to motorcycling after a gap of almost 10 years. Thought of acquiring a helmet before going for the bike itself.

I was looking at MT Thunder 3 Pro. Can anybody share their experience with this one? Is it easy to use spectacles/sun glasses with this helmet?

Also, what are some good stores in and around ernakulam/cochin area for helmets ?

Thanks!
Old 14th January 2024, 16:31   #3958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboride View Post
Thought of acquiring a helmet before going for the bike itself.
This is exactly what I did, got the helmet and a pair of street gloves last month and the bike in Jan.

Quote:
I was looking at MT Thunder 3 Pro. Can anybody share their experience with this one? Is it easy to use spectacles/sun glasses with this helmet?
I got the Atwell Gloss White colourway in size S. It is a bit of a struggle to slide it on but once worn, the fit is snug. When I tried the M size, there was a lot of play on moving the helmet from side to side after wearing. The helmet has grooves for spectacles but it is not easy to slide them in. It also has an internal retractable sun visor in addition to the external clear screen, so you don't need additional sun glasses. Before buying, I wore the helmet for a good 30 minutes inside the store and strolled around to ensure I could handle the fit. What I don't like though is that the ISI rating is only a sticker while the DOT/ECE ratings are embossed.
Old 14th January 2024, 20:43   #3959

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post

I got the Atwell Gloss White colourway in size S. It is a bit of a struggle to slide it on but once worn, the fit is snug. When I tried the M size, there was a lot of play on moving the helmet from side to side after wearing. The helmet has grooves for spectacles but it is not easy to slide them in. It also has an internal retractable sun visor in addition to the external clear screen, so you don't need additional sun glasses. Before buying, I wore the helmet for a good 30 minutes inside the store and strolled around to ensure I could handle the fit. What I don't like though is that the ISI rating is only a sticker while the DOT/ECE ratings are embossed.
Thanks! You almost answered all my questions that I missed !

Visited multiple shops in Cochin today, but none of them stock MT anymore. As per them, MT is going to stop production and hence they don't want to stock anymore. I'm thinking of ordering it from powersports.in directly and take the risk.

Does yours come with the ratchet lock or is it double D ring?

Thanks again
Old 14th January 2024, 21:46   #3960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboride View Post
Does yours come with the ratchet lock or is it double D ring?
Mine comes with a double D ring. I am given to understand that the ratcheting mechanism is not allowed on tracks.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks