Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 11:38   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Can we buy some rudimentary stuff like gloves, elbow protection and knee protection alone, in Chennai? Should be inconspicuous! The helmet and normal shoes would complete the protection. Can't wear a full riding gear for the Splendor, not in Chennai weather and not every day!

Had a fall from the bike a couple of weeks ago and suffered a simple knee wound. Trouser was vaporized in that place!

What took just a week to heal when I was 25+, takes twice as long to heal at 50+, hence the query!
Ofcourse sir! You can. Check with Sunil Silva - for spartan products. Or if you know your size, order off eBay. I am sure there are a few stores in Chennai as well that stock/sell stuff like gloves/elbow protection etc.
Old 12th April 2013, 17:12   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSG - Waterproof riding pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I finally had to shell out Rs.400 from my pocket to send the pants back to DSG. I find it quite pathetic that they didn't offer to collect it from me through Orion motors. That would have been way easier. Well, this teaches me a lesson.

Will keep everyone posted on what transpires.
Finally got a reply from DSG that they will be replacing the pants and they will get new stock in the beginning of April. But it is the second week of April and no updates. These guys are pathetic!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 17:05   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting read promoting FULL GEAR RIDING

The Riding Gear thread-540091_474922382579765_821077099_n.jpg

Source : FB
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 21:38   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I'm eager to experience the pants on my ride tomorrow. Will post an update on how it feels when i am back.
Adi, congrats once again. The pant looks good, waiting for the update.
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:02   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Adi, congrats once again. The pant looks good, waiting for the update.
Thanks Shammil.

The pants I bought were a bit tight on the thigh region so i exchanged them for a size larger.

Haven't got a chance to try them on and ride out after it was exchanged. Will post an update after my next ride, hopefully in a week or two.
Old 29th April 2013, 16:13   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Re: DSG - Waterproof riding pants

Quote:
Finally got a reply from DSG that they will be replacing the pants and they will get new stock in the beginning of April. But it is the second week of April and no updates. These guys are pathetic!
DSG never bothered to even inform me in advance and sent off the pants to me. Well, the elastic looks better. And the fit is better. And something I have decided - try not to buy any gear from a dealer in India!
Old 29th April 2013, 16:52   #1177
BHPian

Quote:

DSG never bothered to even inform me in advance and sent off the pants to me. Well, the elastic looks better. And the fit is better. And something I have decided - try not to buy any gear from a dealer in India!
Do give Bikingspirit on church street Bangalore a try. My friends and I had good experience with Rishab the store owner. Also he stocks international products and his pricing is definitely better than what Ive seen at other dealers.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2013, 17:40   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Do give Bikingspirit on church street Bangalore a try. My friends and I had good experience with Rishab the store owner. Also he stocks international products and his pricing is definitely better than what Ive seen at other dealers.
Yes, have been reading some good feedback on this store! Will check it out soon - want to upgrade helmet.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:23   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, have been reading some good feedback on this store! Will check it out soon - want to upgrade helmet.
Give him a few days. He is currently out of stock on HJC helmets. You can check with him on stock and then visit the store. am sure you'd not come out without picking something or the other.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 05:47   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been one of those people that scours the internet for all existing reviews before buying a product but when it comes to putting up my own reviews post purchase, I havent really done my bit. I wanted to post this earlier but I was waiting for to get my grubby hands on my A* TGP and use it for a while so that I could post a fairly balanced ownership review. Its a long post but one I hope can get someone to hop the fence of indecision and jump onto the riding gear bandwagon.

Qt: So do I really need a riding jacket?
Ans: (In the immortal words of Daniel Bryan) Yes! Yes! Yes!
Ive been riding for 11 years now but I bought my DSG Nero a few years ago and its one of my smartest purchases ever. Once I started riding with a jacket, I just couldnt ride without one! The peace of mind that it gives you is well worth the money.

Qt: Peace of mind? How? Does it really save you or is it all show and no go?
Ans: The go often outdoes the show.
Ive had a couple of slow speed falls while wearing my DSG Nero and I have fortunately escaped without a scratch. If you have a fall, you are much better off with your riding jacket. If, like me, youre not a fan of flashy jackets, you have different options for jackets in black that dont grab too much attention (good for us corporate bikers)

Qt: In the real world isnt it a pain to use?
Ans: Yes it is.
Pulling out their riding jacket only for a long distance trip / sunday morning ride is what several bikers do. But what about all the other days in between? If you go to office, you need to carry your jacket to your desk and back. In malls, you need to lug around your jacket (good luck if you are shopping for clothes) which can get difficult. Watching a movie in a crowded theatre means you have sit with the jacket on your lap. Once you get used to riding with a jacket though, these are inconveniences that you will be willing to live with.

Qt: Ok but isnt it a lot of money to spend on preventing a few scratches to your arms?
Ans: No it isnt.
God forbid if you have been thinking about getting yourself a jacket and kept postponing your purchase and then have a minor fall - you are going to feel like the biggest fool in the world. Your medical bills will greatly exceed the interest you earned from the fixed deposit on the same Rs 5500 you could have spent on the jacket instead.

Qt: Hmmm okay, so the Nero (a mesh jacket) is the right choice?
Ans: Honestly there's no one jacket that does it all.
I bought the DSG Nero because it is well suited to the weather in Bangalore. Ive ridden in heavy rains and had only a trickle of water seep in from the neck area (due to the posture on an R15). On those cold winter nights, its a great jacket to be wearing while riding around. You do sweat with a jacket like the Nero in summers though, carry around a deo in the jacket pocket. Just ignore the glances from people who first wonder who is this guy who has just parked his bike after coming back from a race and then watch you pull out your deo.....

Qt: So if the Nero is that good, why the A* TGP ( a summer / textile jacket)?
Ans: Watch An Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore. Global warming is upon us!
Ok so summers are getting hotter year by year and given the choice between riding on a warm April day versus going there by car & struggling for parking, I was doing the latter almost always. Air ventilation on the TGP is fantastic, it took me a couple of days to get used to riding with it as it feels so different from riding with the Nero. Sweaty armpits are now a thing of the past. In the monsoon, I wouldnt dream of taking the TGP out though. I wouldnt place too many bets on the TGP for really cold winter nights either.

Qt: Ok now Im confused, the Nero or the A* TGP?
Ans: There are a lot more options
Check for size in your city, there are a lot of reasonably priced brands out there. DSG and Cramster have been around for quite a while and are trusted, Scoyco came in with a bang but the fizz seems to be lost now. RJays have come in through Bachoo and seem to be a little too expensive for what they offer. I see really good reviews for Spartan jackets as well and they definitely deserve a close second look and third look even. With the entry of more dealers, newer brands are coming in which is great for us customers.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 18:39   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Rain jacket

Do any of you guys own a rain jacket? I'm looking for one that I can wear over my regular riding jacket - since it has armour, I will look to purchase a size larger. I'm looking for something completely water-proof, cheap and long - so that it doesn't allow water to seep into my pants - have separate rain pants anyway.

I was looking at this one - http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...212_59409_1936

and the only problem with that one is that it doesn't seem to have a hood. It will be great with a hood so that water doesn't start pouring down your collar.

Any pointers. Please keep all options to below $40. Getting it from the US.
Old 14th May 2013, 20:37   #1182
BHPian

Re: Rain jacket

Quote:
Do any of you guys own a rain jacket? I'm looking for one that I can wear over my regular riding jacket - since it has armour, I will look to purchase a size larger. I'm looking for something completely water-proof, cheap and long - so that it doesn't allow water to seep into my pants - have separate rain pants anyway.

I was looking at this one - http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...212_59409_1936

and the only problem with that one is that it doesn't seem to have a hood. It will be great with a hood so that water doesn't start pouring down your collar.

Any pointers. Please keep all options to below $40. Getting it from the US.
I have a similar one by FirstGear. Its fantastic and keeps out everything. I have the hood too and its not so nice to wear with the hood on. I prefer to wear without it, reason being that it can get too warm and sticky in the neck area. A little bit of a trickle or even a drop is good to keep things cool too. Besides, it restricts neck movement as well.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 23:43   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rain jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I have a similar one by FirstGear. Its fantastic and keeps out everything. I have the hood too and its not so nice to wear with the hood on. I prefer to wear without it, reason being that it can get too warm and sticky in the neck area. A little bit of a trickle or even a drop is good to keep things cool too. Besides, it restricts neck movement as well.

Prajwal
Thanks. I've decided to go ahead and place an order for this. The reviews of this particular one are great!
Old 17th May 2013, 19:20   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Motorsport India

Did any of you notice that Motorsport has a dedicated page for India now?

http://www.motosport.com/IN

And this is the advert on their site. I am not sure of the prices since I have never purchased from there.
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-capture.jpg  

naveenroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 02:43   #1185
BHPian

Re: Motorsport India

Quote:
Did any of you notice that Motorsport has a dedicated page for India now?

http://www.motosport.com/IN

And this is the advert on their site. I am not sure of the prices since I have never purchased from there.
Picked an Icon helmet from them a week ago. Still yet to be delivered. Got a good deal on it. It will calculate the prices (shipping, custom duty etc.) once you go towards the checkout.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks