Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 08:39   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Now I'm in a dilemma regarding riding jacket. Whether the DSG Nero, Rage or Rjay's Swift/Voyager? Which one do you guys recommend? My criteria is - 1.Durability 2. Functionality 3.Form.
Some tips that will help you make a decision:

1. Textile jackets which are built using cordura material such as the Nero are far superior in protection than mesh jackets. Mesh jackets are also equipped with armor but focus more on maximum ventilation. Abrasion resistance is best in this order: Leather > Textile (cordura, etc.) > Mesh.

So buy the one which suits you best. Mesh is good if your riding is mostly within the city but if you're a tourer then textile is your best bet. Leather is far better but is uncomfortable in summers and requires lot of care and attention (avoid riding in rains, etc.).

I would recommend DSG since their products are very good in quality. Would suggest you to look at Spartan's range too. Very affordable, durable and tested extensively.

Quote:
Also which gloves do you recommend for touring and city rides?
1. DSG Aqua
2. DSG carbon
3. DSG motomesh

Please feel free to recommend any other gloves which you feel are better or more reasonably priced.
DSG Aqua is a waterproof glove so it will be very hot in summers. Carbon is a full gauntlet and can be a tad uncomfortable (best suited for the track). Motomesh is a mesh glove and like i mentioned it offers least protection. I got a pair of the motomesh gloves a year back and gave it away in the free giveaway thread since i had no use for it as my riding is mostly on the highways or the track.

I have used the DSG Revive for over 2 years and recently picked up this. Both brands are very good but advantage of Revive is that it has air vents which cool your palms and fingers in hot weather. In order of preference - Revive>Pegasus.

Quote:
For knee guards, AXO seems to be an affordable option. They retail for 1100rs. Should I opt for them till Im able to afford higher end ones? How comfortable are these while touring?
For 1100 bucks you should get knee and elbow guards. Only the knee guards retail for 600 bucks. They are OK, nothing great. Would recommend armored riding pants instead of buying more expensive knee guards like A* (which cost the same as these pants). The AXO that you're talking of are all replicas and fakes which offer minimal protection. Better than nothing but if you can afford something better then go for it. Gear is an investment and is a LOT cheaper than hospital bills.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 12:02   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
The following would be in my bag when I fly out next weekend.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...textile-jacket

Did you get this ? Any feedback (specifically about how hot it gets) ?
Old 17th October 2012, 12:16   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
For 1100 bucks you should get knee and elbow guards. Only the knee guards retail for 600 bucks. They are OK, nothing great. Would recommend armored riding pants instead of buying more expensive knee guards like A* (which cost the same as these pants). The AXO that you're talking of are all replicas and fakes which offer minimal protection. Better than nothing but if you can afford something better then go for it. Gear is an investment and is a LOT cheaper than hospital bills.
Aditya, can you point out where you can get these in Bangalore ? I dont mind paying more but I need it to be comfortable (wearing inside the jeans). I have used many that can be worn outside the jeans including the bionic knee guard from a* but i find most of them uncomfortable when riding distances over 50 kms.

And dont these armored pants get hot ? I have never used one of these before. Are these comfortable to be used over your jeans ?
Old 17th October 2012, 12:41   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reininchaos

Did you get this ? Any feedback (specifically about how hot it gets) ?
Yes sir I got this. Material is kinda stretch. Superb padding. A snug fit. Dainese sizing is bit different than other jacket sizing. Could've done with the next size but it will break in after some use. Sleeve length is just perfect. :-) there is good ventilation. Am yet to use on a longer ride to see how hot it gets. There is no rain liner.
Old 17th October 2012, 12:57   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
planning to go for

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...textile-jacket

What say people? n_aditya - Your response awaited!!
Shubz,
Your Jacket looks cool and hope you are enjoying it.
Just out of curiosity for the kind of money you have spent on it, you could have bought a tourmaster Leather Jacket (1.2 mm Aniline Treated though) instead of textile. Was it due to our local sunny conditions that prompted you to go in for this?

PS: Been following you on the FB, should make it a point to ride with your pack of dukers.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:02   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reininchaos View Post
Aditya, can you point out where you can get these in Bangalore ? I dont mind paying more but I need it to be comfortable (wearing inside the jeans). I have used many that can be worn outside the jeans including the bionic knee guard from a* but i find most of them uncomfortable when riding distances over 50 kms.

And dont these armored pants get hot ? I have never used one of these before. Are these comfortable to be used over your jeans ?
Orion Motors (Yamaha dealer) behind Forum Mall stocks DSG products in addition to RJays, Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, SparX, KBC, etc. but be warned they are out of stock most of the time.

Textile riding pants made of cordura are similar to jackets (mesh material also available but AFAIK, not in India). These have air vents but it does get a tad hot in summers. These cannot be worn over jeans as the material is thick. If you must wear something under these pants (in addition to undies), then a thin pajama should do.

The knee guards are comfortable enough, you might want to check out the Fox knee armor (at Orion) as these can be worn inside the pants/jeans. Since they are held in place by velcro strips it does get a little constricting during long rides and you might have to stop and take breaks to ease blood flow into your legs.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 13:11   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Shubz,
Your Jacket looks cool and hope you are enjoying it.
Just out of curiosity for the kind of money you have spent on it, you could have bought a tourmaster Leather Jacket (1.2 mm Aniline Treated though) instead of textile. Was it due to our local sunny conditions that prompted you to go in for this?

PS: Been following you on the FB, should make it a point to ride with your pack of dukers.
Yes sir. It was just the weather that made me go for textile than leather.

Riding with me/pack - I am looking forward to it! Hope to catch up with you even otherwise. Wanna check out (visually) your effzee too
Old 17th October 2012, 13:33   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Orion Motors (Yamaha dealer) behind Forum Mall stocks DSG products in addition to RJays, Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, SparX, KBC, etc. but be warned they are out of stock most of the time.
"most" = "all" the time. I've been there several times and have never found the stuff I have wanted. Cant believe this is the only place in Bangalore for motorcycle gear. I've not ordered online primarily because of size issues. Using all the gear by itself is uncomfortable, using the wrong size can be a nightmare.

Quote:
The knee guards are comfortable enough, you might want to check out the Fox knee armor (at Orion) as these can be worn inside the pants/jeans. Since they are held in place by velcro strips it does get a little constricting during long rides and you might have to stop and take breaks to ease blood flow into your legs.
Doesnt sound too comfortable reading your comments. Will check it out anyway.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:48   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cant believe this is the only place in Bangalore for motorcycle gear.
Reininchaos,
Suggest you to have a look at Cramster or X-Torque. Cramster is located off cunningham road and X-Torque off Kasturinagar. Suggest you to call up both of their locations before heading to them.
Old 17th October 2012, 14:15   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Reininchaos,
Suggest you to have a look at Cramster or X-Torque. Cramster is located off cunningham road and X-Torque off Kasturinagar. Suggest you to call up both of their locations before heading to them.
I thought that X-Torque are a little too costly. Granted - they have stuff in stock but prices are comparitively high. And when I'd gone there for a look-see, no one was even bothered to ask us what we wanted.
Old 17th October 2012, 14:30   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I thought that X-Torque are a little too costly. Granted - they have stuff in stock but prices are comparitively high. And when I'd gone there for a look-see, no one was even bothered to ask us what we wanted.
Naveen,
You can refer my name the next time you go in there
Else speak to Badari or Venkatesh who run the show. Never had any issues with customer attention. If you are keen on going probably plan for the next week as they are expecting some newer stock.

Yes they are a bit pricy but you do get some good quality stuff from reputed brands.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 09:06   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
"most" = "all" the time. I've been there several times and have never found the stuff I have wanted. Cant believe this is the only place in Bangalore for motorcycle gear..
Helmet Paradise Opp. Urvashi Theatre on JC road stocks DSG, Alpinestars and Axo boots i.e everything thats available on the DSG website. I'm myself heading over there again this weekend to get the rest of my gear.

Quote:
Yes sir. It was just the weather that made me go for textile than leather.

Riding with me/pack - I am looking forward to it!
Am I invited?

Quote:
Some tips that will help you make a decision:
1. Textile jackets which are built using cordura material such as the Nero are far superior in protection than mesh jackets. Mesh jackets are also equipped with armor but focus more on maximum ventilation. Abrasion resistance is best in this order: Leather > Textile (cordura, etc.) > Mesh.
So Im deciding to go in for the Nero. The DSG rage in KTM orange looks really cool, but Im not interested in mesh. Maybe I shall get one later for city rides.

Quote:
I would recommend DSG since their products are very good in quality. Would suggest you to look at Spartan's range too. Very affordable, durable and tested extensively.
I shall go in for Spartan's riding pants once some Vit M is replenished.

Quote:
I have used the DSG Revive for over 2 years and recently picked up this. Both brands are very good but advantage of Revive is that it has air vents which cool your palms and fingers in hot weather. In order of preference - Revive>Pegasus.
I shall have to get the Revive then when it is in stock with the dealer. Can we use it for city riding?

Quote:
For 1100 bucks you should get knee and elbow guards. Only the knee guards retail for 600 bucks. They are OK, nothing great. Would recommend armored riding pants instead of buying more expensive knee guards like A*
The dealer says only the knee guards are for 1100. Will probably order something online, till Im able to buy the riding pants.

Thanks a lot Aditya sir.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:10   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Helmet Paradise Opp. Urvashi Theatre on JC road stocks DSG, Alpinestars and Axo boots i.e everything thats available on the DSG website. I'm myself heading over there again this weekend to get the rest of my gear.

Am I invited?

You are more than welcome. Just look me up on FB and I will add you to the group I am a part of.

So Im deciding to go in for the Nero. The DSG rage in KTM orange looks really cool, but Im not interested in mesh. Maybe I shall get one later for city rides.

Don't go any close to that DSG Rage. I found it very flimsy. Spongy shoulder and elbow guards. The only reason you may want to pick it up is for the Orange theme! I would stay a mile away from that jacket.

The dealer says only the knee guards are for 1100. Will probably order something online, till Im able to buy the riding pants.
For knee guards, Try Tirumala Pit stop near richmond circle. He is on the expensive side though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Needed some help guys. Have any of you ordered from Revzilla, Sport Bike track gear or other websites abroad?
How has the experience been? How was the shipping done? Was it on time? Any customs issues of customs charges to be paid? Was the duty paid at your doorstep or were you called to the customs' office?
Need to order a leather jacket for my lady and a pair of offroad boots for myself.
I did buy all my stuff through revzilla and I tell you - They are the best!! So professional, so accommodating! They do ship to India as well. Shipping may come up to $50+

Regarding customs - when I had got some stuff for my Jeep, I got a letter from the customs asking me to visit their office with original invoice. I was asked what I do, how much I take home etc. But I pretended as if I didn't know I had to bribe them. So they just gave it to me. I kept looking at the big board out there which clearly says "Do not pay any bribe, if you are asked for a bribe, please contact this no. blah and blah"

Quote:
"most" = "all" the time. I've been there several times and have never found the stuff I have wanted. Cant believe this is the only place in Bangalore for motorcycle gear. I've not ordered online primarily because of size issues. Using all the gear by itself is uncomfortable, using the wrong size can be a nightmare.

Doesnt sound too comfortable reading your comments. Will check it out anyway.
Try Orion Motors opposite Forum Mall Koramangala and Tirumala Pit stop close to Richmond circle too
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 12:53   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
I shall have to get the Revive then when it is in stock with the dealer. Can we use it for city riding?
Yes the Revives are perfectly fine for city riding. I have been using them daily for a little over a year now and have absolutely no complaints.
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 15:49   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I shall have to get the Revive then when it is in stock with the dealer. Can we use it for city riding? The dealer says only the knee guards are for 1100. Will probably order something online, till Im able to buy the riding pants. Thanks a lot Aditya sir.
Revive is perfect for the city since it has ample no. of air vents. Only grouse i had with these gloves is the quality of velcro on the wrist straps. After 6-7 months of use they refused to stick. All it took me was some 50 bucks to get another strip of velcro stitched onto these straps.

Order from planetdsg website and you should get it within 48 hours.

I bought a pair of AXO knee guards for 600 bucks from Tirumala pitstop near the double road flyover (near madhus enterprises). And please dont call me sir, aditya will do just fine Happy shopping.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks