Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 11:25   #976
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Finally bought the R'jays Octane Black last month
Quality wise its really nice and quite comfortable. The armour feels top class and snug fit. The quality of the Velcro strip is holding good till now after almost 800 kms of riding and 6 wear & remove cycles.
Inner rain lining is good too... but if its not raining, it starts to get really uncomfortable & humid. My suggestion is, if the conditions are overcast then please carry the rain inner lining separately or if you feel its difficult to wear in a haste in case of sudden heavy downpour then carry a simple windcheater which can be worn over this jacket in no time.
Cheers!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-octanejacketblack.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-rjays.jpg  

schitre05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 11:44   #977

How is the Cramster Torso Armor in providing protection vis-a-vis armoured jacket? What if I put on the Torso Armor and put on a normal leather jacket over it. Will it provide the same level of protection as an armoured jacket. Any reviews on the torso armour will be helpful.

Thanks,
Chitts
Old 12th July 2012, 13:59   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitta_moran View Post
How is the Cramster Torso Armor in providing protection vis-a-vis armoured jacket? What if I put on the Torso Armor and put on a normal leather jacket over it. Will it provide the same level of protection as an armoured jacket. Any reviews on the torso armour will be helpful.

Thanks,
Chitts
I would think it would be more protective than an armoured jacket as the armour wont shift around in the case of a slide (only the jacket will). However, I can tell you for a fact that the torso armor will not be comfortable for long rides. At best you can use it for a track day or some off-road shenanigans.

That being said, the fabric holding the cramster torso armour together tore after a single fall on track for one of my friends. He left unscathed however.

Last edited by GreaseMonk : 12th July 2012 at 14:02.
GreaseMonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 20:00   #979
BHPian

Ok, so my jacket finally arrived! Its a Tourmaster Transition 2, for about USD120. Used it just 2 days, and I'm loving it already!

The fit on this 3/4th length jacket really good, although I was initially a bit sceptical of the Large size 44 being a bit too big for me. Elbow and shoulder armour fit snugly in their slots and dont move around creepily when riding. Back protector feels really comfortable too.

The main zipper is two-way, meaning it opens from the top and the bottom. The zipper has a very nice Velcro dual-flap to close it up from wind/rain.

Although I did read some reviews before it arrived, what really surprised me is the number of pockets on this thing! I can carry literally everything but the kitchen sink in it!! And it being a size 44 is an advantage here. Convenient pockets in the inner zippered lining too, for cellphone etc. There's even one at the left wrist for keys. This pocket also has a hook on an elastic line, probably for ID cards. Zippered pockets on the rear tailflap too, apparently to stow the jacket's optional raincover when not needed.

And the number of air vents! There are vents from shoulder to elbow, near the ribs, at the chest and across the shoulders at the back. Really good airflow. I took off the inner zippered inner lining and actually felt a slight chill at 9am in Pune! This zippered lining has colour-coded press-buttons to ensure it goes in the right way (anti-retard mechanism I guess, as there's no way you can zip it up the wrong way).

Another interesting system on this jacket is the press-button tabs to tighten up some areas of the jacket that tend to billow out in winds. Its got these at the forearm, upper arm and in front below the shoulder vents (also to keep the vents open incidentally).
Adjustment is also by way of a waistbelt with sliding buckles and elastic on the back. Snug yet comfortable when you get it right.

Phew, so thats the jacket! Looks like I've found me a touring companion

EDIT: Just found a video demo-ing this jacket. I seem to have covered most points. Also, I shower-tested this jacket a-la Naveen Roy, and I exited dry as a bone!

Last edited by voodoochild : 19th July 2012 at 20:25.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:56   #980
BHPian

I'd first like to thank the members here who helped me out with the decision of buying my ridig gear, especially Aditya. I got a Joe Rocket Nova 2.0 and a set of DSG Revive gloves.

Here's a sample pic of the jacket

The colors look a shade faded in the photo, but they go really well with my black ZMA.

Next on the list is a pair of knee guards.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:21   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

Can someone suggest a good quality rain gear for the upper and lower body please? Most posts here either suggest something for the upper body and something else for the lower. Is it not possible to get something which is a pair? Also, I ride a bullet so would prefer something which is sedate and goes with the bike, if possible.
Royal Enfield has recently launched a set of accessories. The Rain set (both upper and lower) seems to be of very good quality. Made in China of course. You can wear it on top of your regular outfit when it rains.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 14:24   #982
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Royal Enfield has recently launched a set of accessories. The Rain set (both upper and lower) seems to be of very good quality. Made in China of course. You can wear it on top of your regular outfit when it rains.
Hey, that is interesting news Naresh, thanks. Where is this merchandise available?
Old 20th July 2012, 14:35   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hey, that is interesting news Naresh, thanks. Where is this merchandise available?
I picked the set from Teknik, Indiranagar. I think around 2K+. They also had other interesting stuff. Some nice key chains and pins - all priced under a couple of hundred if I recall correctly. Also a nice coffee table book on RE Bikes history.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 20th July 2012 at 14:38.
Old 21st July 2012, 12:32   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
My Woodlands don't seem to be combating the rains too well. I'm on a shoestring budget now, and my prime focus is waterproof riding shoes. Any reviews about ::Orazo:: ? I can't extend my budget above 3000.
I have been using Orazos's on a daily basis since January. The boot is pretty solid in construction and has a steel cap over toe. I have my office mates stand on the shoe and i dont even feel anything. Coming to Waterproof part: The ankle of the boot has that black material which is WP. Tongue is also of the same materiel and is different from regular shoes because of the way it is attached. When you pull out the tongue you will see that both the sides are attached to inside of the shoe through a WP side wall leaving no gap for the water to seep in. Thus the only opening to the shoe is the top cavity from where you put your feet.
I have never ridden them in rain for long but end up putting my feet in some puddles every now and then and have never had wet feet.
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:36   #985
BHPian

+1 to Orazos. Apart from looking fugly they are a great pair of boots.
Old 13th August 2012, 00:34   #986
BHPian

Tourmaster has great reviews.I also got myself Tourmaster Cortech RCX jacket but got the wrong size :( so it up for sale if anyone wants it

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th August 2012 at 12:41.
Old 18th August 2012, 08:06   #987
BHPian

Spartan ProGear Products link now live.

Spartan Pro Gear|Home Page
Old 21st August 2012, 23:28   #988
BHPian

Any reviews on Spartan Odysseus Jacket.Seems good.Spartan Pro Gear

Old 28th August 2012, 20:17   #989
Team-BHP Support

Finally picked up a new pair of riding boots last week, and what better place to get them than the Dainese Flagship store in Rome
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-img00810201208231321.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-img00812201208231352.jpg  

manson is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 13:02   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Finally picked up a new pair of riding boots last week, and what better place to get them than the Dainese Flagship store in Rome
Awesome Manmeet.

Dainese products are the best that money can buy. The quality and construction is top notch. Great choice. Congrats on the new boots.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks