Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 16:53   #2521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

How to get rid of stinking smell from leather gloves?

So my TBG gloves for wet in rains for 3 consecutive days. Hence they were wet for nearly a week. After rinsing with water and drying in shade, they are smelling badly. Stinking smell.The worse part is my palms stink of the same smell after wearing them.Need nearly 5 washes with dettol hand wash to remove the smell.. Any pointers on how i can get rid of the smell?
Old 28th July 2015, 18:11   #2522
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
How's the padding on the palm? Does it cover the entire L part of the palm or only the lower corner that is close to the wrist?
They just have a small memory foam pad under the ball of the palm - that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ouch! I don't think the Dettol wash is going to help.
Try some diluted vinegar / diluted rubbing alcohol, baking soda & newspaper.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 19:12   #2523
BHPian

Use leather cleaner + conditioner to get rid of the smell.
Old 28th July 2015, 19:13   #2524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

Ouch! I don't think the Dettol wash is going to help.
Try some diluted vinegar / diluted rubbing alcohol, baking soda & newspaper.
Dettol wash for my hand, not the gloves.

Can you elaborate on the vinegar procudure

Last edited by Aditya : 29th July 2015 at 12:42. Reason: Typo
Old 28th July 2015, 22:22   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers on how i can get rid of the smell?
My gloves were soaked after a ride ( Motoday ). After they dried, they were stiff, but not smelling. I used Armor-all leather cleaner-conditioner and they're much softer/flexible after that. Try any of the better leather conditioners from 3M , Meguiars or Muc Off.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th July 2015 at 12:43. Reason: Quoted text rectified in previous post
Old 28th July 2015, 22:40   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers on how i can get rid of the smell?
Not familiar with TBG but I guess they are leather gloves. The smell is due to the bacteria and that needs to be eliminated but gently without destroying the gloves. I'm borderline OCD about keeping my riding gear clean so have a bit of experience & loads of chemicals in dealing with this kinda stuff.

Several ways of getting rid of the smell encountered by you - try a mild antibacterial soap for the inside - don't apply it directly but rather rub it on your hands and then slide your hands in and rub them inside all over. Hamam, Dettol, whatever you can lay your hands on.

After this, dip the gloves in lukewarm water, rinse and let them dry indoors naturally - no sun or hot air blowers etc. DO NOT wring dry the gloves. This might take a few days. I stuff newspaper or kitchen roll paper inside to let the paper soak in the moisture and speed up the process.

I'm a big fan of tea tree oil so if you have that handy, you can use a few drops of it in the final rinse.

Other chemicals which will get rid of bacteria are diluted solutions of Clorox or any locally available bleach, diluted IPA, acetic acid (white vinegar), Vanish (local version of Oxyclean) and even green tea extract. Same procedure as for the soap.

When the gloves are dry, apply a good quality leather conditioner on the leather parts.

For maintenance, I use a anti-microbial 3M helmet de-odoriser spray (there is one from Muc-Off too) followed by a wiping off with a moist kitchen sponge towel (Scotchgard) and dry naturally. Both should be available on eBay. Sometimes I have even used an orange oil based shoe deodoriser spray I picked up in Shoppers Stop. Even Scotchgard Carpet cleaner foam spray will work.

Hope this helps.
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 13:36   #2527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
My gloves were soaked after a ride ( Motoday ). After they dried, they were stiff, but not smelling. I used Armor-all leather cleaner-conditioner and they're much softer/flexible after that. Try any of the better leather conditioners from 3M , Meguiars or Muc Off.

Detroit ? Too much time spent on TeamBHP, eh ?
Lol, was typing in mobile. Autocorrect kicked in

Even i have Armor All conditioner but that does not remove the smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Not familiar with TBG but I guess they are leather gloves. The smell is due to the bacteria and that needs to be eliminated but gently without destroying the gloves. I'm borderline OCD about keeping my riding gear clean so have a bit of experience & loads of chemicals in dealing with this kinda stuff.

Several ways of getting rid of the smell encountered by you - try a mild antibacterial soap for the inside - don't apply it directly but rather rub it on your hands and then slide your hands in and rub them inside all over. Hamam, Dettol, whatever you can lay your hands on.

After this, dip the gloves in lukewarm water, rinse and let them dry indoors naturally - no sun or hot air blowers etc. DO NOT wring dry the gloves. This might take a few days. I stuff newspaper or kitchen roll paper inside to let the paper soak in the moisture and speed up the process.

I'm a big fan of tea tree oil so if you have that handy, you can use a few drops of it in the final rinse.

Other chemicals which will get rid of bacteria are diluted solutions of Clorox or any locally available bleach, diluted IPA, acetic acid (white vinegar), Vanish (local version of Oxyclean) and even green tea extract. Same procedure as for the soap.

When the gloves are dry, apply a good quality leather conditioner on the leather parts.

For maintenance, I use a anti-microbial 3M helmet de-odoriser spray (there is one from Muc-Off too) followed by a wiping off with a moist kitchen sponge towel (Scotchgard) and dry naturally. Both should be available on eBay. Sometimes I have even used an orange oil based shoe deodoriser spray I picked up in Shoppers Stop. Even Scotchgard Carpet cleaner foam spray will work.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the alternatives.

Will try dettol hand wash on the insides and check the results
Old 29th July 2015, 13:54   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
1. RE Riding jeans with Sastec knee protectors. Rs.3,999/-
2. Rjays all season riding pants with liners Rs.5,999/-
3. AGV Sport mesh riding pants with liner Rs. 5,999/-
4. Aspida Proteus with Knox armours Rs. 7,299/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post

From the above mentioned options, I would pick between the AGV Sport Solare or the Spartan. Rjays pant is notoriously prone to tearing, a friend of mine has replaced it twice. No opinion on the RE stuff. AGV pant is probably the most ventilated one out there. Spartan is nice too, although you always have to stay wary of their after-sales support.
Was using a knee gaurd till now but on longer rides it has started to become painful, specially the knee cap and calf areas.

Keeping out Rjays, out of AGV and Spartan which will be useful for cold climate also? Do they come with thermal+rain liner or a single liner? And how about cramster velocity?

Also where in Mumbai can I check them out?
Old 29th July 2015, 15:14   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Keeping out Rjays, out of AGV and Spartan which will be useful for cold climate also? Do they come with thermal+rain liner or a single liner? And how about cramster velocity?

Also where in Mumbai can I check them out?
Spartan Proteus is a ventilated mesh pant that comes only with rain liner and no thermal one. Spartan Odysseus is a non-ventilated pant that comes with both rain and thermal liner. Out of these two, I would recommend the Proteus. The reason is that mesh pants can be used in all types of weather conditions, by either adding a rain liner, or getting thermal wear.

I've used the Odysseus for some 10,000 kms, and faced major trouble with the knee-guards, which bruised my knees in a matter of hours. They become quite unbearable to wear in even mildly hot weather. You can read the whole Spartan experience here.

I don't think AGV pant comes with any liners, but it's better ventilated as compared to the Spartan. However, Spartan armor quality is better as compared to the AGV Sport Solare.

I generally stay away from Cramster stuff, primarily because of the plethora of bad reviews surrounding the brand, and more so because of the apathy shown by the brand towards quality. If you get a chance, check out the armors that you get with any Cramster jacket or pant, you'll see what I mean.

Spartan you will find at Babloo motors, Vashi, and Moto101, Bandra and a bunch of other places that you can find from this list. AGV is only available at PRS, Tardeo. You can also find Joe Rocket pants at PRS, which are costlier, but much better quality.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 10:45   #2530
BHPian

Hi
I've been trying to find a clear visor for my Ls2 FF350 helmet. But no luck. Are there any helmet shops in Bandra which may stock this item?

I saw one visor on amazon.in, but it is way too expensive.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:10   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hi
I've been trying to find a clear visor for my Ls2 FF350 helmet. But no luck. Are there any helmet shops in Bandra which may stock this item?
Check with A H Helmets, Andheri. +91-0226743088 , +91-9769902249 he generally stocks on a wide variety of stuff. Sunshine auto in Thane may also be able to help. 022 6452 2742. AtoZ motorcycle superstore in Thane can also be tried. +91 98201 86977.

In Bandra there's that shop called Funky's, stocks a lot of fake stuff and some LS2 helmets as well. I don't have contact number for them though.

Last edited by RiderZone : 30th July 2015 at 12:12.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 18:12   #2532
Senior - BHPian

Can someone explain the working model of Bikegear.in? Is it similar to sbkstore.in where they import based on order? I find huge inventory on the bikegear.in

I am not an expert, but I seriously doubt if the demand in India warrants such huge stock.
Old 30th July 2015, 18:49   #2533
BHPian

Bikegear.in operates just like Sbkstore.in , I got some stuff from sbkstore.in and it took almost 35 days to get it delivered .
Old 30th July 2015, 19:05   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
I've been trying to find a clear visor for my Ls2 FF350 helmet.
Try LS2 Studio run by Mr. Kishore - 9930101907 or 9930239481. This is the only official dealer for LS2 in Bombay as per the owner Kishore.

Check it out and let us know.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 13:57   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Can someone explain the working model of Bikegear.in? Is it similar to sbkstore.in where they import based on order? I find huge inventory on the bikegear.in

I am not an expert, but I seriously doubt if the demand in India warrants such huge stock.
yes - as far as I know, they import their stuff. recently heard, they stock certain items that are fast moving in a warehouse in Bangalore. Normally there isn't any discount offered even If you buy from the website. My two cents would be for you to go to a HD or RE showroom and have your pick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks