Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2015, 17:52   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Pretty good rain liner but water does get in after maybe an hour of heavy rain riding. Don't think there is much you can do about this.
Apart from that, I have done 1 day 600kms rides where i had to spend 4 hours walking around in the pants in the city and managed to get through without feeling uncomfortable. All in all it will be a good buy. Have a look at the Aspida Mesh riding pant as well (forget the name). Good for our conditions and that also comes with a rain liner.
Thank you for your inputs Abhinav,
yes, the other one is Proteus mesh pant from ASPIDA, that doesn't come with thermal liner. I'm going to see which one I'm more comfortable with and then decide, there isn't much difference in cost though. I can get my own thermal liner if need be.
Thanks.
Old 21st July 2015, 23:22   #2507
BHPian

Hello Riders,

Regarding riding pants, I'm confused:

- Mesh with rain liner, I feel it'll be a bit awkward to put on the rain liner online! As I use a mesh jacket, putting on the rain liner on-road is easy. But for pants I want to know how do you do it?

- Textile will be heavy when wet!

- Armored jeans with a normal waterproof over-pants (rain) seems much easier to use.

As any rain liner will be unbearable if it doesn't rain. Please share your real world experiences.

Cheers,

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 21st July 2015 at 23:24. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd July 2015, 00:04   #2508
Senior - BHPian

^^ for proper waterproofing, IMO u should look for a proper rain suit. These liners work fine in a drizzle but anything more would require proper rain gear

A removable liner in both jackets n pants makes your gear extremely versatile. In summers, pull the liner out n enjoy the air conditioning. In winters, some long johns coupled with these liners that act as a windstopper, is basically all you should need to survive the winters

I have a klim mesh riding pant - the Mojave. It does not have a liner n god do I miss it
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:34   #2509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

As any rain liner will be unbearable if it doesn't rain. Please share your real world experiences.
This is actually not very true. If you are picking up one of those plasticky ones then yes they make you sweat and sticky in about a couple of minutes. But if you were to pick up a good one that is breathable, you could wear it anywhere and no one would even notice it. I use the Forclaz 300 from Decathlon. Keeps you bone dry. Keeps you cool. Not at all uncomfy to wear in the sun and looks like a baggy cargo chinos that you could sport almost anywhere. The chains on the sides means you could easily wear it and take it off even with riding boots on.

Looks like there has been a massive price fall too.
http://www.decathlon.in/hiking/rain-...ser/p-M8210235

I got it from here around an year back for around 2200/-
http://www.indialetsplay.com/quechua...en-overtrouser

P.S. I am not, in any way, linked with any of the brands or websites mentioned here and just shared my personal experience.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:16   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Looks like there has been a massive price fall too.
http://www.decathlon.in/hiking/rain-...ser/p-M8210235

I got it from here around an year back for around 2200/-
http://www.indialetsplay.com/quechua...en-overtrouser

P.S. I am not, in any way, linked with any of the brands or websites mentioned here and just shared my personal experience.
I have used the first gen of this one, usually for trekking in monsoon. I have had issues with the way it clipped on. Decathlon was cooperative enough to change it to next gen with slightly better mechanism that has got buttons. From quality perspective, this is one of the best pants that you can use during rains. I have trekked this in snow/rains and found it to be very good. However, I have not used this on my motorcycle rides so far. if you have a knee guard, that can be worn under this one, it good be a good solution for short/not so frequent rides. However, if you are riding on regular basis, a Good cordura pant with protection will be a better thing to use in my opinion.

Last edited by Ketan : 22nd July 2015 at 12:35.
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:29   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
From quality perspective, this is one of the best pants that you can use during rains. I have trekked this in snow/rains and found it to be very good. However, I have not used this on my motorcycle rides so far. if you have a knee guard, that can be worn under this one. However, if you are riding on regular basis. a Good cordura pant with protection will be a better thing to use in my opinion.
Spot on. Used it in snow and rain too and not frills at all. The feeling of cool when it's raining is amazing too !

I don't use this as my riding pant. This goes over my riding pants when it starts to, or looks like its about to, pour. So Boots -> Mesh Riding pants ->Forclaz 300 during the rains
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:55   #2512
Senior - BHPian

^^Just what I was thinking to do before I bought the ASPIDA Proteus riding pant, recently. I was thinking of using Forclaz 300 + knee guards + jeans, then I thought of stretching my budget and getting a riding pant for 7K and not spending 3-4K just for knee guards. Based on experiences that others are sharing on how the rain liners can protect you only during light rains and not in heavy downpour, I was disappointed a bit. I'll carry this forclaz 300 pant as well when I ride next, I'm hoping to see some heavy rains on our ride from Bangalore to Valparai/Athirapally this month end.
sidenote: Forclaz 300 has served well on Gaumukh trek while it was snowing, chadar trek and a few local south India monsoon treks.

Last edited by Ketan : 22nd July 2015 at 12:57.
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:17   #2513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
.. Based on experiences that others are sharing on how the rain liners can protect you only during light rains and not in heavy downpour, I was disappointed a bit. I'll carry this forclaz 300 pant as well when I ride next, I'm hoping to see some heavy rains on our ride from Bangalore to Valparai/Athirapally this month end.
sidenote: Forclaz 300 has served well on Gaumukh trek while it was snowing, chadar trek and a few local south India monsoon treks.
Have heard the same thing about internal liners as well. Never used one though. The F300 is always in my backpack during office rides, breakfast rides or longer rides. The only place it will leak is the zipper so protect that carefully. I am guessing it will come handy in my next longish one this weekend.
I have used it on my bike rides, city walks, smallish jungle treks in rains, frozen river walk and a few kms walk in about 5 - 6 inches of snow. All taken care of well !
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:03   #2514
BHPian

Thanks mates!

That's exactly what my take is, putting on the rain liners (internal) in case of rains is a bit cumbersome on the road so a proper rain gear over your riding pants is a better approach!

I use a Spartan Icarus mesh jacket, the rain liner serves me well. In cloudy conditions you can still bear it but as soon as the sun is up, you have to take it off! I believe that the Proteus has similar/same internal rain liner.

Now the options for riding pants are:
1. RE Riding jeans with Sastec knee protectors. Rs.3,999/-
2. Rjays all season riding pants with liners Rs.5,999/-
3. AGV Sport mesh riding pants with liner Rs. 5,999/-
4. Aspida Proteus with Knox armours Rs. 7,299/-

These are the last price updates I had (might vary)
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:58   #2515
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any suggestions for gloves that I can use in the monsoons?

I use a SPG Centaur usually. But the recent rains in Bangalore have left them in not very good shape and I am unwilling to risk them any further.

I am looking for something that is good protection and is also rain proof. Any suggestions are welcome. Cramster, DSG, SPG anything.

Budget is around 3500.
Old 26th July 2015, 21:05   #2516
BHPian

Hi

anybody in the group who can lend riding shoes (preferable ankle length). First time planned for a long drive during 2nd week of Aug 2015.

my pair of shoes is coming during last week of Sep 2015. so this request.

Bangalore - Preferred size - 9 / 10. if there is any usage charge, ready to pay.
Old 26th July 2015, 22:13   #2517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
But if you were to pick up a good one that is breathable, you could wear it anywhere and no one would even notice it. I use the Forclaz 300 from Decathlon. Keeps you bone dry. Keeps you cool. Not at all uncomfy to wear in the sun and looks like a baggy cargo chinos that you could sport almost anywhere. The chains on the sides means you could easily wear it and take it off even with riding boots on.
I second this choice. I've also been using the Forclaz 300 in Mumbai rains for a while now, and it's great to walk around. The compact size makes it easy to stash it in backpack too. Good choice for an waterproof overpant if you are in the search for one.

Using something like this is an overpant is a better idea than just a riding pant with a liner. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I'm yet to find a good waterproof liner in riding jackets and pants. Most of them are not sufficient to keep us dry during our monsoons.

Last edited by anilp : 26th July 2015 at 22:15.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:15   #2518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Thanks mates!

That's exactly what my take is, putting on the rain liners (internal) in case of rains is a bit cumbersome on the road so a proper rain gear over your riding pants is a better approach!

Now the options for riding pants are:
1. RE Riding jeans with Sastec knee protectors. Rs.3,999/-
2. Rjays all season riding pants with liners Rs.5,999/-
3. AGV Sport mesh riding pants with liner Rs. 5,999/-
4. Aspida Proteus with Knox armours Rs. 7,299/-

These are the last price updates I had (might vary)
In my experience, internal liners on both jackets and pants are never perfect. They are designed to work only under light showers, and should never be trusted during heavy rains. I learnt that the hard way with my Spartan Odysseus riding pant during a hailstorm at Talang La

Been riding for many years in Mumbai and Bangalore rain, and the best option is always to depend on external rain wear. This is why I always suggest people to buy mesh pants and jackets, and not to worry about any liners. In winter, you wear thermal wear under them and you are done. In rain, you wear waterproof gear over them and you are done. This is the simplest solution to all-season riding, as there's not one single product that can do it all.

From the above mentioned options, I would pick between the AGV Sport Solare or the Spartan. Rjays pant is notoriously prone to tearing, a friend of mine has replaced it twice. No opinion on the RE stuff. AGV pant is probably the most ventilated one out there. Spartan is nice too, although you always have to stay wary of their after-sales support.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 12:45   #2519
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Here's my current riding gear.
The helmet was purchased locally after trying testing fit. The rest was bought from Revzilla.
[*]AGV Sport Mayhem short gloves
How's the padding on the palm? Does it cover the entire L part of the palm or only the lower corner that is close to the wrist?
Old 27th July 2015, 13:08   #2520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Guys, any suggestions for gloves that I can use in the monsoons?

Budget is around 3500.
Lets Gear Up have the waterproof gloves from their in-house brand of TBG. They are pretty nice. Would suggest you to have a look at them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks