Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 12:51   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Gentlemen, need suggestions on riding gloves - full leather, full gauntlet type.

If anyone has personal experiences with the DSG Primal gloves, please share them here. I plan to buy the gloves this weekend. Thanks.
Considered TBG gloves? Have heard good reviews about them, but its a bit expensive than DSG and Spartan I think.

My DSG Revive gloves has been serving me good for the past 3 years in everyday use and is still holding good with only minor discoloration due to exposure to sun and rain! But is the Primal having sliders(Not sure if its the technical term) on the palm area? Have personally tried Spartan and TBG gloves and felt that both are very comfortable as there are no protruding seams inside the gloves that will give sore pressure points. Not sure how it is in Primal though.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 14th July 2015 at 12:56.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 13:57   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Considered TBG gloves? Have heard good reviews about them, but its a bit expensive than DSG and Spartan I think.

My DSG Revive gloves has been serving me good for the past 3 years in everyday use and is still holding good with only minor discoloration due to exposure to sun and rain! But is the Primal having sliders(Not sure if its the technical term) on the palm area? Have personally tried Spartan and TBG gloves and felt that both are very comfortable as there are no protruding seams inside the gloves that will give sore pressure points. Not sure how it is in Primal though.
Thank you for your response. From the recent posts on this thread, I understand TBG gloves are more expensive (around 4k or more) but the leather is thicker than other brands.

I'll check it out soon.

However, not all brands fit me well enough since my fingers are small and my palms are slightly big and chunky. Only DSG and Spartan seem to fit "like a glove".
Old 14th July 2015, 14:08   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your response. From the recent posts on this thread, I understand TBG gloves are more expensive (around 4k or more) but the leather is thicker than other brands.

I'll check it out soon.
Just not the leather. The protection is unprecedented in any glove from an Indian manufacturer. Knox SPS & metal wrist slider being the USPs in my opinion. The leather feels broken in right from the word go too.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 15:33   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'll check it out soon.

However, not all brands fit me well enough since my fingers are small and my palms are slightly big and chunky. Only DSG and Spartan seem to fit "like a glove".
Totally agree with Sojo & M.O.S. here!! I havent used TBG gloves, but a friend and a fellow member (Aditya Bharadwaj) is using these gloves and has nothing but praise for them. You may want to PM him for a first hand update

The game has moved on from DSG I think. I have the Primal and while its an Ok glove, here are my gripes:

- Expensive for what it is
- I had a lowside crash over a year ago in them. 40 - 50 KMPH. The gloves held up fine, but there was a good deal of visible abrasion on the palm. High speed crashes - not sure how this would hold up. I would invest in something more protective
- The velcro has basically lost all its stickyness

I too would recommend forking out a little extra cash for a lot more protection
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 16:47   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I shall check out the TBG gloves soon.
Old 14th July 2015, 18:27   #2496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. I shall check out the TBG gloves soon.
Go for the TBG full gauntlet gloves Aditya. Have been using them for past 8 months on my daily ride to office and they are excellent gloves. Pricey at 4400 but they are well built with good protection
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2015, 18:42   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
I wrote reviews on their website and kinda copy pasting the text here for anyone interested. I didn't find a lot of people getting joe rocket and tourmaster and reviewing them on team bhp.
Hey thanks!
I faced same scenario when I purchased from Motorcyclegear.com I recently got the Joe Rocket Sonic R WP boots. Sizing was a concern but I emailed them with my concern and they promptly replied. I got the US Size 8 which is UK 7 and Euro 41 on paper but fits me perfectly. Yet to take it for spin!

American fit/sizes are bigger for most of us so no matter how fat, tall or heavy we are there is no need to order a plus size than measured.

These are a steal deal as even after conversion I got my boots for less than half the price for what it's available at Performance Store, Mumbai.

-Ride safe

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 14th July 2015 at 18:45.
Old 15th July 2015, 17:16   #2498
Senior - BHPian

This may have been shared earlier. Found this extremely useful:

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/91.html
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 09:28   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hey thanks!
I faced same scenario when I purchased from Motorcyclegear.com I recently got the Joe Rocket Sonic R WP boots. Sizing was a concern but I emailed them with my concern and they promptly replied. I got the US Size 8 which is UK 7 and Euro 41 on paper but fits me perfectly. Yet to take it for spin!

American fit/sizes are bigger for most of us so no matter how fat, tall or heavy we are there is no need to order a plus size than measured.

These are a steal deal as even after conversion I got my boots for less than half the price for what it's available at Performance Store, Mumbai.

-Ride safe
Suraj,

You are correct. My first jacket - a joe rocket yamaha branded textile is xl size and its really big for me. i wear xl t shirts here and was too apprehensive about ordering the size measured. Should have gone with L.
I was using it on the Triumph, but somehow it didn't feel right . so i ll use that one when riding my Yamahas. The mesh construction is super perfect for india. I was riding back from work yesterday and it had just rained. I was feeling kinda cold in them while doing 80-100 on the highway.

Regarding your waterproof shoes - I ll give an input. I have been using cortech latigo waterproof shoes for maybe 2 years now. Not too many miles on them, but enough to get an idea. They are similar to what you have got in JR. They don't breathe at all mate! The way they don't allow water inside, they don't let anything outside too. So sweat in summers or humid conditions makes it uncomfortable. Also if you are riding a bike which needs frequent shifting, one suggestion I d give is to move around the footpeg / shifter location to accommodate the extra size of the boot. This is to ensure the natural shape of the boot is when in your riding posture, it comes just under the shifter, ready for a shift. Otherwise, you ll spend effort keeping the boot stretched. Something we don't realize while riding, but if you do over 100 kms, it can become a bother.
I can post a review of my other riding gear too - will do that sometime soon.

thanks
nitrogary is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:01   #2500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Regarding your waterproof shoes - I ll give an input. I have been using cortech latigo waterproof shoes for maybe 2 years now. Not too many miles on them, but enough to get an idea. They are similar to what you have got in JR. They don't breathe at all mate! The way they don't allow water inside, they don't let anything outside too. So sweat in summers or humid conditions makes it uncomfortable. Also if you are riding a bike which needs frequent shifting, one suggestion I d give is to move around the footpeg / shifter location to accommodate the extra size of the boot. This is to ensure the natural shape of the boot is when in your riding posture, it comes just under the shifter, ready for a shift. Otherwise, you ll spend effort keeping the boot stretched. Something we don't realize while riding, but if you do over 100 kms, it can become a bother.
I can post a review of my other riding gear too - will do that sometime soon.
Thanks Mate!
Actually I figured that out, that no matter how much they say its breathable its not! Otherwise the construction is nice and the feel of the leather and finishing is super impressive as my first riding boots. As Pune has a moderate climate hope to use it as much as possible. Also this is my first imported riding gear - lessons learnt! The fact that it was at 89$ with my size available, I thought why not go for an additional feature of being waterproof!

Regarding shifting, as I use an Enfield CL350, I don't use the toe-shifter (the ball of the foot & heel). Regarding riding position, I'll update you with a short breakfast ride this weekend but normally I sit straight up.

I wanted the TCX boots but my size was not available in a closeout deal.

Also, review of my ICON Compund Mesh Long gloves is pending!

RideSafe

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 16th July 2015 at 12:13.
Old 20th July 2015, 13:46   #2501
BHPian

Is there any list of websites or shops in Mumbai where such gear is available? Thanks in advance.
Old 20th July 2015, 15:58   #2502
BHPian

Yes,

http://performanceracing.in/

http://www.bachoomotors.com/index.php

http://www.rynoxgears.com/

http://www.outdoortravelgear.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Moto101Mumbai

Need more?
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 14:15   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need inputs on ASPIDA Odysseus touring pants. I was initially thinking of getting knee pads but I usually am looking for long rides and not the short commute to work. I felt additional 3-4k will get me a decent riding pant and hence looking for it. I have read a few posts with inputs on this and looks to be a decent choice for once in a month or two long rides. Please let me know your inputs, I have never used knee guards or riding pants before (jut got lucky not to have any falls so far, will get myself covered for future rides).

I've been using my cramster meteor (out of production for more than few years now) and is holding well, gives good protection. I don't have a rain liner for this jacket. Although it protects from low intensity showers well, water will slowly make it in a poring rain. Is there a way I can get just the rain liner? somewhere from JC road (Bangalore) kind of places? Please let me know. I have had a look at the ASPIDA Helios and one category lower than that which comes with the rain liner, let me know if its a good choice! but I'll prefer to get a rain liner and stick to my crmaster to save cost for a new jacket.
Thank you.
Old 21st July 2015, 15:53   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Are riding pants not popular in India? Do not see many riders (at least in Chennai) using them, I see most use jeans. Maybe they use the armored jeans which looks like regular jeans.

For crash experiences, I read the hips are the first to get hit and then the back, shoulders, elbows, arms and so on.

This may have been shared earlier. If any of your friends or relatives need any motivation or have hesitation in investing on good gear, please show them this vblogger's page. Looks like he specializes in crash videos. You can see most riders walk away without any "apparent" injuries.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...7A2492C0B9CBFF

Check this out:

Last edited by mail4ajo : 21st July 2015 at 16:21.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 17:21   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Need inputs on ASPIDA Odysseus touring pants...
I have one and have been using it for nearly 15 months now. This is my touring pant and has seen around 5000kms of touring. Since this is NOT a mesh riding pant but a cordura one with vents, it does get pretty hot in B2B traffic but once on the move, you dont notice the heat much. Has good CE rated protection for the knee & dual density foam protection for the hips. Pretty decent for the price.
Only issue i had was with the knee protectors bruising my knee real bad though I got the size that fit me perfectly. @ebonho mentioned a few pages ago that this will be due to a height/waist mismatch or some such causing the knee protector to bruise the knee. I use a sports knee guard to prevent the bruising and it has been smooth sailing after that.
Pretty good rain liner but water does get in after maybe an hour of heavy rain riding. Don't think there is much you can do about this.
Apart from that, I have done 1 day 600kms rides where i had to spend 4 hours walking around in the pants in the city and managed to get through without feeling uncomfortable. All in all it will be a good buy. Have a look at the Aspida Mesh riding pant as well (forget the name). Good for our conditions and that also comes with a rain liner.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks