Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 13:55   #2416
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
Hello people , recently bought an Dianese jacket for my Rides ( i own a z800 and Harley) and looking to buy boots.
I am confused a little with regards to ankle length boots so wanted advice between
Great rides you got there !

I would suggest going for the full length ones, especially with the super heavy weights that you ride. Ankle/Shin would be one the most injury prone area.

For ankle boots, I have tried the SMX3. They are very comfy and are an upgrade over the SMX2s. SMX2 will be hard to find. Checkout the Dainese C2B/Asphalt. Both are great ankle shoe options. Try them at the store since the fit is superlatively snug !
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 14:29   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am confused a little with regards to ankle length boots so wanted advice between

Dianese
Alpine stars
and
oneal( cause i have full height boots )
Unless you are OK with a long break in period, adjusting your bike's foot controls, basically losing all feel for rear brake usage and shifting; cross the O'Neal boots from your list. These are MX boots and while they are supremely protective, they have a steep learning curve

Why not add Sidi and TCX to your list? They make some of the best boots out there. I have a Sidi MX boot that I wear quite regularly

For the mid height / ankle length boots; you have:

Alpinestars
Models - Ridge, SMX 2
Fit - True to size. Use the Euro sizing as US sizing can sometimes be off. Accomodates medium to wide feet well

Dainese
Models - Nighthawak (Fellow member Shubz has these. Do check with him for details)
Fit - Use your US sizing. Euro sizing is one size large. Accomodates narrow to medium feet well

TCX
Models - Jupiter, X-Square, X-Rap, X-Street, X-Cube, X-Ride, Explorer and there are some more that I cannot think of
Fit - Use your US or Euro sizing. Runs true to size. Accomodates medium to wide feet well

Sidi
Models - Gas, Apex, Streetburner, Traffic Air
Fit - US sizes run half to one size small. Go with the Euro sizing and it should be a good fit. Accomodates narrow to medium feet well

If budget is not a concern, my pick would be the Dainese Nighthawk. Although pricey, its a complete boot. Waterproof, protective, looks GREAT even under a pair of jeans. You would never look out of place whether you are on your bike, running errands or even walking into your fav club

Else I would go for the TCX X-cubes. A good looking pair of boots that offer real protection and you would struggle to hear a bad word about these

Hope this helps

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 12th June 2015 at 14:57.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 15:09   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Urban_Nomad!

A quick review on the Dainese Nighthawk. Its long boots. So get the right size. This is Goretex, Waterproof boots. Had ridden this to WHR to Aurangabad and did go through some intense rains. water did not go through the boots, but surely went in through the pants into the boots. But was quick to dry out as well.

It takes one or two rides to get used to it. Initially it feels like your feet are imprisoned. shifting gears will be PITA. Walking will be like you are straight out of Robocop auditioning. But once it breaks in - Its damn comfortable. Gives a secure feel!

Cheers!
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 16:44   #2419
BHPian

Dianese night hawk is a cruiser style boots , any idea how will it suit super bikes ? cause the gap for movement of toes are very less in z 800. AALso where can i check TCX in bangalore any idea.

P.S Just checked their website, some neat designs actually

Last edited by raj.barcode : 12th June 2015 at 16:48.
Old 12th June 2015, 17:57   #2420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dianese night hawk is a cruiser style boots , any idea how will it suit super bikes ? cause the gap for movement of toes are very less in z 800. AALso where can i check TCX in bangalore any idea.

P.S Just checked their website, some neat designs actually
There was a sale going on at "Highnoteperformance.com" (or dot in). You can speak to them about fresh stock in case you cant find something in your size
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 19:15   #2421
BHPian

Hi, the monsoons have hit Kerala ,I'm looking for some rain protection .
I ride a 390 and intend to some serious rain riding .

I have my boots , TCX Goretex Airtech and got an A* Apex Drystar WP Gloves and also got a Pinlock ready visor and a pinlock insert for my MT helmet .
My search for the rain suit ended in the Revit Pacific H2O one piece rainsuit - SBKstore.in, which is 10k .

I love to get some suggestions regarding the rain suit .
I'm thinking of experimenting with the Indian rain coats , the two piece variety before jumping in to buy the expensive one .
Looking forward for your suggestions .
Old 12th June 2015, 20:48   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Pinlock ready visor and a pinlock insert for my MT helmet .

I love to get some suggestions regarding the rain suit .
I'm thinking of experimenting with the Indian rain coats , the two piece variety before jumping in to buy the expensive one .
Looking forward for your suggestions .
Can you let me know where you got the pinlock ready visor for the MT ?

I would suggest getting a rain jacket and over pant from Quechua. I use the pant. It is breathable. Does not look like rain pants. And keeps the water out. It is called the Forclaz 300. Costed around 2K from IndiaLetsPlay.com. Probably decathlon would be a good place if you want to have a look at these king of apparel.
Old 13th June 2015, 07:20   #2423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
Can you let me know where you got the pinlock ready visor for the MT ?
I got it from one of these guys, don't remember , only one ships to India .The funny thing is the Pinlock ready visor and the insert costs the same as the helmet itself .

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/product/...inlock-inserts
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/moto...ntent_cat/1304

Thanks for pointing out Quechua , there is a decathlon store in Cochin now ,will go have a look .
Old 17th June 2015, 11:02   #2424
BHPian

The need for good quality underwear

TN riders might want to add one more essential item to their riding gear list - good quality underwear in appropriate colours.

Apparently TN cops want to see your underwear too if they catch you speeding on bikes - TOI article.

Quote:
A group of bikers from Chennai, aged 19 to 25, were given this treatment by a Mahabalipuram police team on Sunday morning. There were 14 of them, who were stopped at 6.30am at the entrance to Mahabalipuram town for speeding. They were taken to the nearby police station and detained for nine hours during which they were questioned and made to strip. They were also fined a sum of Rs 1,200 each and their high-end bikes kept in the station overnight.
Quote:
"We have a register to record all details of an accused. These include his name, age, marital status, the clothes he was wearing and two birthmarks," said inspector of Mahabalipuram police station Govindarajan. "We have no choice. It is also part of the procedure according to CRPC which asks us to note down the colour of the accused's clothes," he added.
Old 17th June 2015, 11:14   #2425
BHPian

Next ? Will they start to crack down on anyone wearing proper gears as well. The notion, from the comments in that article, is that 'all riders are rash' 'riders kill people and escape' 'riding geared riders are racing' !

I was just reading about that. The government has asked to crack down on bikers all over the state because, seemingly, TN has the worst record for road accidents and two wheelers are a major reason behind that. I believe it is the number of people refraining from wearing a helmet, number of people riding on the wrong side of highways. Not to mention the innumerable two wheelers without a registered number.

Aren't people supposed to be fined according to the law they break ? Over speeding = tickets all over the world. Here, get your pants down riders !

All I can say is, knowing how COPs work, that is one way I am not heading from Bangalore anytime soon

Last edited by Sojogator : 17th June 2015 at 11:16.
Old 17th June 2015, 11:58   #2426
BHPian

Well if they want to reduce the number of road accidents this way then clearly they are barking up the wrong tree.

Breaking civil rights laws to uphold another set of laws is insane behaviour.
Old 17th June 2015, 13:03   #2427
BHPian

Hello guys, need help.
1. can you suggest me a shop in Bangalore which sells all the riding gear one needs? (Like a complete solution under one roof)
2. Any particular recommended/good brands to look out for?
3. Is a budget of 20K INR sufficient?
Reason i am interested is i want to upgrade my existing gear which is in dire need of replacement. I want to do this before i upgrade my ride (Benelli 300 or Duke 390).
Old 18th June 2015, 10:24   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Hello guys, need help.
1. can you suggest me a shop in Bangalore which sells all the riding gear one needs? (Like a complete solution under one roof)
Reason i am interested is i want to upgrade my existing gear which is in dire need of replacement. I want to do this before i upgrade my ride (Benelli 300 or Duke 390).
Let's Gear up in HSR Layout or Biking Spirit on Residency road (behind Keerthi Triumph Motors) would be worth a visit.

A DOT certified helmet such as MT may cost around 5k upwards IIRC, jacket around 6k and boots around 6k. You will need to slightly up your budget for knee armor/riding pants and gloves.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 11:07   #2429
BHPian

Since the past year or so RE have started stocking a very high quality & comprehensive range of riding gear & accessories at reasonable prices.

If the racetrack or Robocop-in-fashion-hell look is not your style, then there are no better domestic options IMO.

Do check them out - http://store.royalenfield.com
Old 18th June 2015, 11:35   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
Hello guys, need help.
Good time to upgrade

You could everything in of the numerous stores that have popped up everywhere. Cramster. Moto101. Megha. LGU.

Sadly, SPG have hiked prices through the range else you could get everything quite a bit cheaper even a few days back.

20K seems doable:
1. MT Axxiss - DOT/ECE rated - sold by SPG - 4K
2. Jacket - SPG Icarus / Rynox Air GT - 5.5K
3. Glove - TBG Street - 3K, SPG Pegasus 3K, Rynox Inferno 3.3K, Rynox Shield Pro - 2.3K, Cramster Blaster - 2K
4. Pants - Cramster Velocity - 5.5K
5. Shoes - TBG street - 6K , Tarmac street 5K

Comes to around 22K-23K.
Not sure if you need the knees if you got the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post

Do check them out - http://store.royalenfield.com
Any owner's reviews on them yet ? The website and the feature set look very promising for the price.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks