Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2024, 12:46   #4921
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

I use a set of cheap balaclavas from Amazon. For me, it also helps to easily put on and takeoff the helmet without hurting the ears.

Guys, a small query. Among TCX, Forma and Gaerne, which has a reputation of durability? Or minimal complaints as such. Purpose is for my daily commute. Currently I use a Falco Marshall which is a shortie. TCX has the Baja dry and another cheaper model. Forma has one at 26k. Looking for max possible protection; CE level 2222 with lateral stability as well.

Last edited by Senotrius : 16th April 2024 at 12:48.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 13:06   #4922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
For me, it also helps to easily put on and takeoff the helmet without hurting the ears.
Good point. If one is wearing a snug fitting full face helmet, that’s another added benefit of wearing a balaclava.

Quote:
Guys, a small query. Among TCX, Forma and Gaerne, which has a reputation of durability? Or minimal complaints as such. Purpose is for my daily commute.
I’ve had a not so great experience with Forma adventure boots (soles coming apart) - same has been the experience with many other riding buddies. Between these three I feel Gaerne are the best at a brand level although even TCX should be good. I haven’t personally used either Gaerne or TCX so my inputs are somewhat anecdotal from my riding network.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 13:51   #4923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
My one month old, sporadically worn helmet had started smelling. Its a full face LS2 FF320 Stream Evo Xdron. My previous SOL helmet which got used more frequently had never smelled like this.

While I took padding out and washed it and have also got Vista Helmet Kleen, I'm thinking if its the Mumbai heat and Full Face helmet which is a bad combo.

Should I get an Enduro helmet with visor for riding in the city? I wear glasses and need visor.

Thoughts please!
Don't store your helmet in a closed space after usage and don't use helmet bags. Fully open the visor and leave it in your living room or any place with good air flow.
b16h22 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 15:23   #4924
BHPian

Checked out the Triumph branded Alpinestar Corozal Drystar at the showroom. The ONLY thing those folks cared to spend some time, with the customer, to try and sell. Apparels seems to be their current level of salesmanship. A 20% automatic discount from price of 30.5k INR. It's comfortable but the unit is a 2022 make. Also, one size up is comfortable for me. I think one must be wary of any riding gear that's a bit old. Newer units may come in 2 months time according to the lady there. She is completely unaware of the ongoing BIS certification issue with riding boots in India.

There seems to be discounts on riding boots as such due to it being off-season and the current stock that's about be illegal(?).
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-20240416_134036.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-20240416_134030.jpg  

Last edited by Senotrius : 16th April 2024 at 15:28.
Senotrius is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 00:01   #4925
BHPian

Went gear shopping after a long time in preparation for the new bike. I needed replacements for my helmet which is almost 5 years old now, jacket which I had outgrown thanks to all the midnight munchies and boots whose outsole was fevikwiked mid-ride to last till I made it back home.

Got the LS2 Thunder Carbon helmet, Korda Fury riding jacket and RYO T-Rex boots.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_163619223.jpg

Let's start with the elephant in the room, the lid. I can confidently say this is the best helmet I have owned so far. I've previously used an X-Lite X802 and HJC FG-17 but this is better than both of them in terms of outright quality which came as a surprise to me.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_122257288.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_122359238.jpg

The finish is super premium and the lightness feels out of this world. Maybe this is my first helmet with a carbon fibre shell which is why I am feeling this way. My HJC was the previous lightest that I have owned because of its tri-composite construction. This is lighter than that by 100 grams (at 1250 +/- 50g) and you can really feel it. Also, the eyeport on this is the biggest I've seen in any helmet. Superb peripheral vision!

I was a little sceptical to get this after seeing a post on reddit where a user met with a highside on the track and his helmet cracked right through the mid-seam. But there were many others who praised this and it's predecessor, the Arrow Carbon so I went ahead. CrAzY dRiVeR's review was also helpful in affirming my decision. Other options considered were KYT NZ Race (bad fit and lukewarm quality) and MT KRE+ (suuuper heavy at 1700g and without a 22.06 rating).

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_122655869.jpg

I went for small although my forehead circumference is 56.6cm. Medium slid right in without any effort. It felt very mildly uncomfortable at the store but after I wore it again a couple of times at home, it fit like they had made it specifically just for my skull. The liners are really plush and comfortable which is again quite surprising for a race helmet.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_122756195.jpg

Looks really cool from behind. So much aero going on here. Love those parallel turbulators lined over the spoiler.

The Riding Gear thread-snapchat1015853879.jpg

The fake LS2 on the left was the first helmet I ever got way back in 2011. I've come full circle

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_121730685.jpg

Moving to the jacket, it's your regular full mesh affair which is necessary for Chennai where we have just two seasons, hot and hottest.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_121811931.jpg

I'd be lying if I said the squid inside me didn't give preference to this jacket because of the shoulder slider

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_121841936.jpg

500D outer shell with SafeTech L2 armour for back, elbows and shoulders. L1 armour for the Chest. It's also quite surprising how light jackets have become in just 3/4 years. My previous TBG Knight feels twice or thrice as heavy in comparison.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_163921060.jpg

Warm fleece and external rain liner included which is a plus.

The Riding Gear thread-pxl_20240417_121500731.jpg

Lastly the boots. None of the PSI stores in Chennai had them for my size which is UK11 so had to order this from their Bengaluru outlet instead. They are CE 2222 rated for length, abrasion impact, cut impact and torsional rigidity. The fit is just right for my feet. It isn't biting anywhere but at the same time doesn't have any room to move around. I guess it should open up a little once I break it in.

After digging around as to why this boot is only available in limited sizes, I found out from the helmet store that also stocks these boots that the ISI restrictions are now on boots as well. I remember BHP'ian neil.jericho mentioning about this last year or so. It's in full effect now apparently. So this is the last last chance to grab imported boots in case anyone is interested and whatever you can grab is the stock that's already made it into the country (unless the importers have gotten them certified).

Damage done-

Helmet - 33k after 1k discount, purchased from Gears Chennai
Jacket - 6750 after 20% discount from the 8499 MRP, purchased from Powersports, OMR
Boots - 14k, purchased from Powersports' online website

Last edited by SR1602 : 18th April 2024 at 00:04. Reason: Minor typos
SR1602 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 17:44   #4926
BHPian

Hey guys, I recently got myself a Street triple RS. I am looking for the
"neccessary" riding gear. I have myself MT thunder 4 and RST gloves so far. I only use the bike for my weekend rides (mostly hills) and I hardly take it out in the city.

I am need of a jacket and boots. I have tried Rynox jackets and I find the fit of the steal air pro very comfortable. Rynox is readily available in the stores and the acquisition is easy for me.

Boots, I like the idea of RYO ONEX which has sliders on the outerside of the boots.

Any suggestions or input from the community would be helpful.
Old 20th April 2024, 18:00   #4927
BHPian

Try the Ryo T-REX. It squeaks after a while but still remains the cheapest level 2 riding boot with slider. Maybe you need to go a size up.
Senotrius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 15:55   #4928
BHPian

Picked up the RE Streetwind v2 jacket yesterday. Given my rotund stature, finding well-fitting riding gear is a problem. Having a 390adv and venturing off the beaten paths, the need for better ventilation and movement, while still retaining as much safety as possible, was the main reason for picking up this jacket. I've got a Solace touring jacket doing highway duties. Rynox didn't have the protective base layers in larger sizes, and most other mesh jackets were too huge at the arms to be of any use.

The RE Streetwind v2 is a great low-cost mesh jacket that has RE-branded level 2 armour at the shoulders & elbows, a good fit (for me), lightweight, very well ventilated, and seem to have the potential to be comfortable whether riding standing up on trails, or navigating while moving around.

I upgraded the back armour to the level 2 offering from RE. Would've liked some chest protection too, but at 5.8k, this is a good offering.
[ATTACH=cdaed47254ae4b5f9afc61ee95be2583.JPG]RE Streetwind v2 3XL[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-cdaed47254ae4b5f9afc61ee95be2583.jpg  

kaushalswarup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 17:12   #4929

Riding Shoes
Hi I am new to riding gear as I recently purchased my first bike (Speed 400). I was looking to buy riding shoes and read about the RE E39 boots in discussions. I have the budget for them but I am unsure if I should purchase them if I mostly do weekend rides.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th April 2024 at 17:53. Reason: Caps and spacing edits. Please read our forum rules and posting etiquette. Thank you.
Alpha7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 19:19   #4930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha7 View Post
Riding Shoes
Hi I am new to riding gear as I recently purchased my first bike (Speed 400). I was looking to buy riding shoes and read about the RE E39 boots in discussions. I have the budget for them but I am unsure if I should purchase them if I mostly do weekend rides.
As many on the forum have suggested, the amount spent on boots is well worth it in comparison to hospital bills and the associated physical and/or mental trauma that comes after an accident. Always gear up, especially on highway rides.
WhiskeyTangoFox is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 12:39   #4931
BHPian

Need opinion from seniors/experts/owners.

Requirement for a lightweight, mesh jacket due to heat levels in my city. May also be used for intercity commutes in the future. Contenders considered:

1. Revit Protector Jacket Nucleus: AA rated. Unsure about material quality (abrasion resistance) and armour (harder armour) compared to Knox. Armour coverage is best I feel on paper; ventilation as well. Armour Coverage is a USP for me. Chest protector, level 1, divided, provided. I can use my Sastec protectors instead.

2. Knox Urbane Pro MK3: AA rated. Compromise between price and rating. Coverage of armour is a concern (I'm unsure). Impact resistance is not a concern with Knox. Overall, a middle ground product I feel. Only has optional L1, undivided, chest protector.

3. Knox Honister: AAA rated. Highest available rating. Main USP for me. Costliest, but unsure regarding coverage of Knox Microlock compact. Lesser mesh coverage. Must be the heaviest. Unsure regarding efficiency in our climate. L1, undivided, Chest protector optional even at this price. Should be lighter than most of the local mesh jackets all the same.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd May 2024 at 14:19. Reason: Caps. Spacing.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 22:22   #4932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift98 View Post
Hey guys, I recently got myself a Street triple RS. I am looking for the
"neccessary" riding gear. I have myself MT thunder 4 and RST gloves so far. I only use the bike for my weekend rides (mostly hills) and I hardly take it out in the city.

I am need of a jacket and boots. I have tried Rynox jackets and I find the fit of the steal air pro very comfortable. Rynox is readily available in the stores and the acquisition is easy for me.

Boots, I like the idea of RYO ONEX which has sliders on the outerside of the boots.

Any suggestions or input from the community would be helpful.
Downshift98, congratulations on you Street Triple RS. You havent mentioned a budget as such, so it will be very difficult to suggest the right gear. Do consider trusted brands like Revit etc as compared to our homegrown Indian brands, if your budget permits it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha7 View Post
Riding Shoes
Alpha7, out of curiosity, why are you unsure if you should purchase the E39 boots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Need opinion from seniors/experts/owners.

Requirement for a lightweight, mesh jacket due to heat levels in my city. May also be used for intercity commutes in the future. Contenders considered:

1. Revit Protector Jacket Nucleus: AA rated. Unsure about material quality (abrasion resistance) and armour (harder armour) compared to Knox. Armour coverage is best I feel on paper; ventilation as well. Armour Coverage is a USP for me. Chest protector, level 1, divided, provided. I can use my Sastec protectors instead.

2. Knox Urbane Pro MK3: AA rated. Compromise between price and rating. Coverage of armour is a concern (I'm unsure). Impact resistance is not a concern with Knox. Overall, a middle ground product I feel. Only has optional L1, undivided, chest protector.

3. Knox Honister: AAA rated. Highest available rating. Main USP for me. Costliest, but unsure regarding coverage of Knox Microlock compact. Lesser mesh coverage. Must be the heaviest. Unsure regarding efficiency in our climate. L1, undivided, Chest protector optional even at this price. Should be lighter than most of the local mesh jackets all the same.
Senotrius, have you been able to try out any of these jackets? What fits you the best?
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 11:32   #4933
BHPian

@neil.jericho, No, I haven't been able to. Knox dealer is in Mumbai. Revit may be manageable as the dealer is here right. Fit is a concern. What's your opinion? I think I might have to pair these with a Viaterra offroad jacket for abrasion resistance when going on the highway. The newer AA abrasion resistance levels, AAA too for that matter; is much lesser than previous CE rating system is what I read.

Last edited by Senotrius : 8th May 2024 at 11:48.
Old 8th May 2024, 13:26   #4934
BHPian

BigBadBikes had (has?) a sale going on. I picked up the Klim Mojave gloves for city riding.
The most snug fitting gloves I have ever worn. Not great on safety for sure though. I mean, it is intended purely for off roading and better tactile feel.
Your call to pick up one or not of course

The Riding Gear thread-20240417_204240.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240417_204246.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240417_204255.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240417_204301.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240417_204304.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240417_2043082.jpg

On a visit to Orion Motors, I just casually tried on a few pair of gloves and simply loved the fit of the Revit Caliber gloves. This was fairly expensive for us but again, I find stuff like this just lasts until it's us that's bored with it, more than it wearing out. Wife picked up one as well, but in grey color.

I've basically only tested it in the summer and so far it's aces. In terms of ventilation, I love that it's got those mesh panels in between the fingers. This is a real game changer according to me. Think the Klim Induction (*wipes away drool*).

It didn't need wear in from the get go. However, it's definitely much thicker and therefore, working with your phone isn't very easy. The phone touch works perfectly fine though. But as I've noticed, with greater wear, the phone contact patch becomes unusable unless you are precise and apply a bit more pressure. Trivial, but thought I'd add that nonetheless.

Personally, I love this indigo/dark blue color

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130744.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130749.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130809.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130815.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130830.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130858.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130907.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130911.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130939.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20240508_130952.jpg
shyamg28 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 20:24   #4935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
BigBadBikes had (has?) a sale going on. I picked up the Klim Mojave gloves for city riding.
The most snug fitting gloves I have ever worn. Not great on safety for sure though. I mean, it is intended purely for off roading and better tactile feel.
Your call to pick up one or not of course
Haha now I know of three people (including myself) who took advantage of this sale and got these very gloves! Obviously not the safest in their lineup - but definitely great in terms of ventilation, comfort and ease of use. The fit seemed better than the Roost from Viaterra and the offroad gloves from Rynox. Though they offer slightly better protection too.

Wore it last sunday for a 350km ride, in what was the worst heatwave ever to hit the Mumbai-Pune belt; the gloves performed excellent in all the above categories.

Negatives: There were some strands coming off at the edge of the fingers and palms - atleast in mine. And the right glove 'honeycomb' structure digs into the knuckles - when moving (opening/closing) the throttle especially during some challenging trails/patches.

Maybe they'll ease up or I'll get used to it - whichever scenario it is, I'm not complaining!
TheVaas is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks