Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 04:24   #4171
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Could you guys recommend me the right one?
Try the M200 Pro Rain Jacket and Pants from Viaterra.

I don't think the Decathlon rain jackets are meant to be worn over a riding jacket.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 13:22   #4172
Distinguished - BHPian

Rev'it! Sirius 2 H2O Gloves Review

A few months ago, I picked up the Rev'it! Sirius 2 H2O gloves. I do have a pair of A* full gauntlet gloves (for track use, I tell myself!) and a pair of SPRS full gauntlet gloves (The Riding Gear thread) (for all other use). However, neither of them is waterproof. Given the extended monsoon season here in Kerala, it was best to move towards waterproof riding gear. Only then would I be comfortable to ride all around the year. Step one was to get myself the Falco Oxegen 3 WTR boots (The Riding Gear thread).

When it came to gloves, I was disappointed by the Royal Enfield A* Syncro Drystar gloves (The Riding Gear thread). Unfortunately, waterproof gloves arent very popular in India, so finding options in a Tier 2 city like Cochin is not easy. I tried out a couple of options from Rev'it! and found the Sirius 2 H20 gloves to be just what I wanted. It cost serious money though! Rs 12,000 for a pair of gloves that I would use for less than half the year, did seem to be a very steep price to pay. After thinking about it for a few weeks, I picked up the Sirius 2 H20 gloves over the more affordable Rev'it! Anderson H20 gloves.

For technical specifications on the Sirius H20 gloves, here is what is posted on the High Note Performance website
Quote:
Protection Features:
Outer shell: Goatskin drum dyed with WR finish, PWR|shell twill stretch, synthetic PU leather, flock PU
Insulation: Thinsulate G, Thinsulate C, high loft poly fur liner
Lining: Tri-fleece liner
Waterproofing: Hydratex | Z-liner (5000mm H2O)
Breathability: Hydratex | Z-liner (5000g/m2/24hrs)
Protection:
TPU hardshell knuckle protector
TPU hard-shell palm slider
Temperfoam at finger knuckles and little finger knuckle
Visibility: Laminated reflection at cuff
Ergonomic Features:
Fit: Tour fit
Adjustability: Adjustment strap at wrist, adjustment tab at cuff
Features: Elastic at wrist, stretch lips at fingers and back hand, connect finger tip at index finger and thumb, visor wiper, regular cuff
First things first, why the Sirius 2 H20 gloves over the Anderson H20 gloves and other lower priced options?
- I found that the lower priced waterproof gloves lacked that all important "feel" that riders yearn for. They come across as being mittens for riders. In simpler terms, the more affordable waterproof gloves feel like they are waterproof gloves with protection and some feel baked in. On the other hand, the more expensive options like the Sirius 2 H20 and the Sand 4 H20 gloves, are proper riding gloves with complete feel and protection, that happen to be waterproof, as well. The difference in "feel" is tangible.
- Rev,it! makes high quality riding gear. It makes sense to pay a premium today, to get a world class product that gives you complete peace of mind for several years.

Now that Ive used it for a few thousand kilometers, here are some thoughts on the gloves
- Ive ridden in heavy rains with the Sirius H20 gloves. They work as advertised! My fingers were absolutely dry at the end of every ride.
- While touring, I was initially riding with my regular gloves, while keeping these as a standby for when the rains hit. Now, Ive moved to riding all the time with these Sirius H20 gloves, while my regular gloves are kept on permanent standby.
- If you are someone who needs (not wants) airflow through your gloves, then this pair of winter and rain gloves, might not be well suited for all day riding. For the last 14 years, Ive been riding with perforated gloves. However, Ive easily adapted to riding with these gloves. YMMV.
- I havent ridden with these gloves in the summer. Im sure they will feel stuffy and sweaty. These arent going to be all weather gloves for our Indian conditions.
- Not once have I ever felt that I have compromised on tactile feel or maneuverability of my fingers, by going for a pair of waterpoof gloves.
- In many ways, you get what you paid for.

Most Indian motorcycle enthusiasts ride all round the year with a single pair of gloves. I too have been there and done that, for years. Wearing damp gloves and commuting to work is no fun, at all. If you can afford to get yourself a second pair of waterproof gloves, do seriously consider it.

The Riding Gear thread-20220429_185024.jpg
Tried it. Liked it. Saw the MRP. Put it back on the showroom shelf so that I could think about it for a few weeks.

The Riding Gear thread-20220713_112444.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220713_112459.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220713_112535.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145309.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145313.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_144951.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145000.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145006.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145012.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145056.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145127.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145145.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145210.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145216.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145228.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145236.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145255.jpg

The Riding Gear thread-20220517_145301.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 13:49   #4173
BHPian

Thanks Neil. I have always worried if leather gloves would last our Kerala Monsoons. So for my daily commute it has been all weather gloves for years now. Due to the fact that Kerala speed limits makes sure that i maintain 60 Kmph tops. These options i used are not the safest ones. But worked ok across the year. I used to have Dainese Fogal earlier. I use Scala Air now. I had my friend buy Alpinestars Copper last black friday hoping he would be home last year. But that is still stuck in the US.

For a while i used to go by some recommendations by a guy at Spartan to wear medical gloves inside for water proofing but i soon learned that this recommendation was not very useful and taking off soggy medical gloves are painful. Now it is riding soggy gloves all day. Drying it under fan overnight and riding the next day.

If there are leather gloves which last Kerala monsoons it is indeed good news. Could you give me an update at the end of this monsoon if these hold up.
rohitoasis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 16:54   #4174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Hi guys. Paid a visit to Lazy Ass Bikers
Gaerne G Yuma Aquatech boots. Waterproof touring boots with CE 2 protection.
So the honeymoon period is over.

The Gaerne boot's velcro has come off. Stitching has given away in two places on the right boot. Not cool for a less than three month old boot to have such an issue.

Have spoken and e-mailed LABs about this and they say they'll forward it to Gaerne Italy. Guess it'd be a long wait now. No riding till then.

Dad says to just get it stitched up by the local cobbler. But I don't want to fool around when it's in warranty. What if the sole gives away next? Makes sense to consult with LABs and get it stitched by a cobbler they recommend, but for warranty's sake I feel it should be Gaerne who gets it done.

While it's cool to have these foreign branded products, if a warranty issue crops up, I guess one is as good as stranded. For weeks together. Or have multiple stuff.

Any ideas and thoughts about this?

The Riding Gear thread-img_20220711_102554.jpg
The Riding Gear thread-img_20220711_102629.jpg
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:39   #4175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Gaerne boot's velcro has come off.
Disappointing to say the least. Usually it's the hook side that mostly gives away, the loop side mostly remains unaffected. Genuine leather, double stitched velcro patches last long, while a poorly stitched/patched velcro doesn't last long especially on synthetic leather, been the case with me.

I would echo what your dad suggested. Is your Gaerne made out of leatherette? If yes, what I would suggest is get those velcro patches double stitched using kevlar threads from a cobbler who specializes in it, that will help it last longer, if your riding needs are a priority, then I would suggest patch it up, use it till it lasts and ditch it and move on.

But that you've mentioned it's under warranty, well, what are the chances a replacement doesn't go through the same fate or even worse.

But, I will leave it up to you to be the best judge.

Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 17:59   #4176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Is your Gaerne made out of leatherette?

But that you've mentioned it's under warranty, well, what are the chances a replacement doesn't go through the same fate or even worse.
Pretty sure its a pure leather boot.

Fat chance of a replacement. The reason I want Gaerne involved is after this small failure, God forbid in case of a bigger issue in the future, I don't want Gaerne to reject the warranty saying I have done self repairs.
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 21:09   #4177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Gaerne boot's velcro has come off. Stitching has given away in two places on the right boot. Not cool for a less than three month old boot to have such an issue.

Have spoken and e-mailed LABs about this and they say they'll forward it to Gaerne Italy. Guess it'd be a long wait now. No riding till then.
TROOPER, has LABs agreed that this is a manufacturing defect? Or are they keeping quiet for now and putting the onus on Gaerne Italy? From the pictures, it certainly looks like it qualifies for a warranty claim.

I would suggest that you drop off the boots at the LABs store and ask them to inform you when a replacement pair is made available locally / arrives from Italy.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 21:19   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
TROOPER, has LABs agreed that this is a manufacturing defect? Or are they keeping quiet for now and putting the onus on Gaerne Italy? From the pictures, it certainly looks like it qualifies for a warranty claim.

I would suggest that you drop off the boots at the LABs store and ask them to inform you when a replacement pair is made available locally / arrives from Italy.
Spoke with them today and they said they have raised a claim with Gaerne Italy. So we're waiting for their response.

I highly doubt Gaerne is going to clear it for a replacement. Probably just a repair. If they say its wear and tear, well that'd be the first and last product I get from them.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 01:55   #4179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
I know nobody asked, but I'm sharing some pics of the TCX Stelvio high rise boots.
Hello experienced riders! I am back again to seek your help and opinion. I am finally making it to Zanskar next month in the official Royal Enfield Himalayan Adventure. This would be my longest high altitude ride and hence I am planning to upgrade some of my gears to suit the weather and the terrain.

1. Gloves - I use a BBG Breeze summer gloves, but the forecasted temperature in the Zanskar region would be anywhere between 0 to 8 deg C in August end with occasional forecast of rains. So I am thinking of getting a pain which will not get wet. I am considering RE Stout (CE certified) or RE Striker (CE and KNOX along with SPS protection). How do you think these gloves would be? Any alternate suggestions are welcome too with a price cap of 5K.

2. Boots - I have been using a Quechua Forclaz boot for the last 2 years and it has served me well. However, the mandate is to use 'proper' riding boots and I'm sure there would be water crossings as well. Please recommend me a decent pair within a price cap of 15K. I would have picked up the RE TCX mid-rise one but it seems to be not in production right now as I gathered from this forum. I will still try my luck in the local showroom over the weekend. The cheapest I found is of Orazo Ibis/Picus but not sure about the quality. I also came across Gaerne G.NY Aquatech as a recommendation in this forum as well as Raida Discover through some search. Another challenge is I am in Kolkata now and not sure where to buy from. Please recommend what would be a good pick.

3. Jacket - I intend to continue with my BBG Xplorer jacket. However, I am planning to add the Chest protection to it. The KNOX CE1 comes at 1800 bucks in RE website but I am not sure if that would fit in. Any recommendations?

4. Rain layers - I have the rain layers of the BBG Xplorer jacket and the Rynox Stealth Evo pant but was thinking of getting the Viaterra M200 line of protection. Does this make sense?

Many thanks in advance!
meetarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 07:57   #4180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
I am back again to seek your help and opinion. I am finally making it to Zanskar next month in the official Royal Enfield Himalayan Adventure. This would be my longest high altitude ride and hence I am planning to upgrade some of my gears to suit the weather and the terrain.
Hello @meetarin! First off, all the best on your adventure! These experiences will last a lifetime!

Coming to your questions, this is what I do (full disclaimer, I haven't tried enough things to be a pro but i can share my experiences) -

Gloves - I do not have a dedicated set of rain gloves so i cannot comment. To combat the cold, i use an inner warmer pair (from Decathlon or army general stores in Ladakh), wearing which, I can still fit my hands in, into my regular riding gloves. For long trips I always carry, a full gauntlet, for highway rides, combined with a short cuff set for those mountain trails where you might want more feel at the levers.
Namely, Viaterra Grid and RE Windstorm. The Viaterra Roost is comfortable too.

Boots - the (RE) TCX Stelvio boots have been a game changer for me. I've put in about 5000 kms with them now in almost all sorts of terrains and riding conditions, they've aced every test! Unfortunately, they're very tough to find. So my recommendation for an alternative as per what I tried at stores and advice received here, is to go for the Gaerne G-Adventure Aquatech boots. They felt very comfortable and I have also received good feedback on them outside the forum.

Waterproof socks - club your boots with one pair of waterproof socks for those occasions you may need. I don't have one because my feet sweat profusely but my wife does and she can vouch for them. They do work. Try the Rynox ones or Viaterra.

Rain gear - I carry an oversized Decathlon rain jacket, so it fits me over my riding jacket. Probably the cheapest one they have. Zero issues in rain. They also have one significant advantage/disadvantage based on what weather you're riding in - they don't allow any air in or out. So if it's hot, you will sweat in them. If it's cold, you will love how warm you feel inside. I'm considering a better rain jacket such as the one from Rynox or Viaterra. But for now, I am a satisfied Decathlon customer.

For pants, I have the Rynox overpants that come with the riding pants, that are doing a good job. They are tough to wear on the go with boots (I wish they had some sort of easy zip based ingress similar to riding pants) but you get used to it. They do a stellar job of keeping water from entering the boots (at least the full length ones).

I have one recommendation for helmets - try and find some anti fog and anti rain solution (both are typically different). It could be pinlock visors or anti fog sprays. I'm finding a desperate need for this on long rides. It's something I haven't been able to solve yet.

Do let us know what you decide to go with and your Zanskar experience with them! Also a travelogue of it

P.S.: there are individuals here (not me), named unnamed, who are exploring Zanskar region as we speak. They would certainly be better suited to advice For me, I have only ever walked on the Chadar lol.

Last edited by shyamg28 : 15th July 2022 at 08:11.
shyamg28 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 20:37   #4181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Boots - Please recommend what would be a good pick.
Shyam's advice in the post above is spot on! The only one thing I would change are the boots. Whatever you decide to go for... do NOT go for a waterproof option. It could be Gore-Tex or whatever other fancy stuff... keep away from it (unless you enjoy the feeling of microwaving your feet). No gyan... speaking from personal opinion

Waterproof socks should suffice and if your non waterproof boots do get wet... its super easy to dry them out. Waterproof boots... good luck if you get the dampness out before the end of this year (kindly allow the exaggeration)

Wish you safe travels
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 21:59   #4182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Shyam's advice in the post above is spot on! The only one thing I would change are the boots. Whatever you decide to go for... do NOT go for a waterproof option. It could be Gore-Tex or whatever other fancy stuff... keep away from it (unless you enjoy the feeling of microwaving your feet). No gyan... speaking from personal opinion

Waterproof socks should suffice and if your non waterproof boots do get wet... its super easy to dry them out. Waterproof boots... good luck if you get the dampness out before the end of this year (kindly allow the exaggeration)

Wish you safe travels
I dont know. I have been wearing waterproof boots for over 7 years now and have done well over 150k+ kms across all kinds of temperatures in all kinds of terrain. I just use merino wool socks which keep my feet good.

It also depends on whether you naturally sweat a lot or suffer from foot odour related issues too. Theres no one solution for everyone. What works for you might not work for someone else, so always qualify your suggestion.

I will always buy goretex/waterproof boots. I have had my boots wet from the inside, and i just stuffed newspaper into them overnight and they were as dry as the sahara the next morning.

Ps. Hope you are doing well, havent heard much from you other than the odd video offroad.

Last edited by Red Liner : 15th July 2022 at 22:01.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 23:37   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Hello @meetarin! First off, all the best on your adventure! These experiences will last a lifetime!
Hi @shyamg28, thank you for such a detailed advice and the good wishes.

The Viaterra GRID looks robust and almost invincible with great deal of features! I definitely want to get something like this. I am not sure though if there are any stores where I can try the fit and feel. Do you have any other recommendation or would it be okay to place the order? I will also visit Decathlon for the warm liners.

I'm in a bit of a fix for the boots mainly because I want to try it out before buying and there are not as many places in Kolkata as Bangalore or Pune. I have regular service appointment for my Thunderbird X tomorrow and will see if the local store still has the TCX.

Will follow your advice about the WP socks and rain gear.

I have an MT Thunder SV3 helmet with pinlock attached. It's doing a decent job so far. However my challenge is I'm a chashmish As a strategy, I have switched over to contact lenses during my rides and that has improved the convenience so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The only one thing I would change are the boots. Whatever you decide to go for... do NOT go for a waterproof option.
Hi @Urban_Nomad, thank you for the best wishes and the advices. I am bit inclined towards WP boots, but can definitely checkout the non-WP options as well. Do you have any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

I will always buy goretex/waterproof boots.

Ps. Hope you are doing well, havent heard much from you other than the odd video offroad.
Hi @Red Liner, I am doing well, but work has been really really hectic since few months, which is why I haven't been able to post lately. Fact is, this Zanskar trip would be my first vacation (?) of the year!
Which would be your recommendation for the boots? As mentioned above, I am inclined towards the WP ones and my feet is of dry nature. I guess it would be okay with me.
Would you also have an idea about the chest inserts I am planning to put into my jacket?
meetarin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 01:06   #4184
BHPian

Quote:
Hello experienced riders! I am back again to seek your help and opinion. I am finally making it to Zanskar next month in the official Royal Enfield Himalayan Adventure. This would be my longest high altitude ride and hence I am planning to upgrade some of my gears to suit the weather and the terrain.

1. Gloves - I use a BBG Breeze summer gloves, but the forecasted temperature in the Zanskar region would be anywhere between 0 to 8 deg C in August end with occasional forecast of rains. So I am thinking of getting a pain which will not get wet. I am considering RE Stout (CE certified) or RE Striker (CE and KNOX along with SPS protection). How do you think these gloves would be? Any alternate suggestions are welcome too with a price cap of 5K.
I have the Royal Enfield Intrepid Gloves - which is both wind and waterproof. I've used them in really heavy rains (mumbai monsoons) and though the gloves get wet partially (like 70% dry - 30% wet) - your hand remains fully dry. Also, the gloves dry off pretty quickly overnight, so that's also a bonus. I've not tried them in extreme winters yet, but had worn them once in the summer and my hands were sweating like crazy - which means its got no ventilation and hence a good bet for the cold. There is adequate knuckle and palm protection.

You can check out the newer Blizzard gloves or the WP ones from Solace. Viaterra Grid is a leather glove - not at all wind or waterproof. So wouldn't recommend it for Zanskar-esque climate.

Quote:
2. Boots - I have been using a Quechua Forclaz boot for the last 2 years and it has served me well. However, the mandate is to use 'proper' riding boots and I'm sure there would be water crossings as well. Please recommend me a decent pair within a price cap of 15K. I would have picked up the RE TCX mid-rise one but it seems to be not in production right now as I gathered from this forum. I will still try my luck in the local showroom over the weekend. The cheapest I found is of Orazo Ibis/Picus but not sure about the quality. I also came across Gaerne G.NY Aquatech as a recommendation in this forum as well as Raida Discover through some search. Another challenge is I am in Kolkata now and not sure where to buy from. Please recommend what would be a good pick.
The Tarmac Adventure Boots come in both High and mid-rise variants and well within your budget cap. I have the high ones and they are WP - my feet remained dry despite walking in ankle length water and in heavy rain usage. I've also used them in summer and as @Red Liner mentioned - unless you have sweaty feet, the boots shouldn't give you much trouble. The water doesn't seep inside if you wear your riding pants over the boots. (Tip: Carry tea bags and put them inside each boot overnight - removes the odour 100%)

I don't know if the stores in Kolkata stock these but you can get it from the Bachoo Motors website. Your sneaker/boot EU sizing fits perfect - in case you want to buy online.

Quote:
4. Rain layers - I have the rain layers of the BBG Xplorer jacket and the Rynox Stealth Evo pant but was thinking of getting the Viaterra M200 line of protection. Does this make sense
If you have external rain layers for the BBG - that should suffice. Inner rain liners are decent - but cumbersome to put on and off while on the go. Also, in case of downpour, the wet jacket tends to become heavier. Instead go for either the Rynox outer rain jacket or the Viaterra M200 (jackets and pants). Outer layers make more sense than inner ones according to my own personal experience. For the cold, the inner thermal liners of your jacket and pant would suffice and you can always have these outer ones as added layer.

Hope this helps!
TheVaas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 10:14   #4185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hi @Red Liner, I am doing well, but work has been really really hectic since few months, which is why I haven't been able to post lately. Fact is, this Zanskar trip would be my first vacation (?) of the year!
Which would be your recommendation for the boots? As mentioned above, I am inclined towards the WP ones and my feet is of dry nature. I guess it would be okay with me.
Would you also have an idea about the chest inserts I am planning to put into my jacket?
Unfortunately the royal enfield TCX are the best bang for your buck at the moment. Everything else seems grossly overpriced in comparison. You also have Falco and Forma but both have terrible reputation on longevity.

Knox chest inserts from royal enfield are the bomb. Take your jacket to the store and have them try on the inserts in your jacket. If it fits, its the shit!
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks