Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2013, 11:30   #1201
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nice boots Rahul but they are not the real Army isue DMS (double moulded soles). They are local designer versions of the real thing.

These are the real thing :

These are/were best when made by FLEX, but those are no longer available. These usually come in black, but if you are lucky (and very patient and persistent) you can also get dark tan ones (that are isued to the BSF). Around 500 bucks at Makatee Army Surplus store off MG Road in Pune.

Doc, are these boots good as a replacement of proper riding boots? Or is it good to stick to branded boots like Alpine Star?

And are these readily available in the shop you mentioned?
Old 7th July 2013, 14:49   #1202
BHPian

Thanks n_aditya for your kind reply.

I have been browsing a few sites for riding gear and have come across some mouthwatering deals. I have a few doubts about the size and fit of jackets, , helmets & gloves.

Short of putting them on, how do you calculate which size suits you as far as helmet goes?

Also my shirt size is 42. What will be my jacket size?

Does gloves come in universal size?

Pardon my naivety, any answer will be highly appreciated.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:02   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanthoshK View Post
Doc, are these boots good as a replacement of proper riding boots? Or is it good to stick to branded boots like Alpine Star?

And are these readily available in the shop you mentioned?
Not at all. They are far from being close to replacements for properly scietifically designed riding boots. But its all we had till proper riding gear started coming to India. Now I use them mainly for the city and short rides and they are very good for rock trekking, giving very good cushioning, grip, and ankle support, along with heel and toe protection. Not to mention the 2+ mm leather being excellent protection against scorpion and small snake bites. All for 500 bucks!
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 12:25   #1204
BHPian

I am trying to source A* Bionic Knee Guards, but neither Orion Motors nor Gear it Up in Bangalore have them in stock. Tried PlanetDSG but that was a no go as well. Anybody know where I can source them in Bangalore?

Thanks

imp!
Old 8th July 2013, 13:18   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I'm more interested in the cost of shipping to get an idea.
It cost me ~3k in customs and ~1.5k in shipping. Shipping was prepaid while customs had to be paid to the DHL guy delivering it. Not bad considering jacket value but the website has an option to prepay customs at the time of order and that is more hassle free and cheaper too - they had quoted ~2.5k as customs prepay for me which I hadn't opted for and ended up paying 500 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
I have a few doubts about the size and fit of jackets, , helmets & gloves.

Short of putting them on, how do you calculate which size suits you as far as helmet goes?

Also my shirt size is 42. What will be my jacket size?

Does gloves come in universal size?
Almost all online stores have detailed size charts. Best is to go the website of the brand you want to purchase and check out their size charts. These are very detailed and with a measuring tape at hand, you can figure out what size would fit you.

My shirt size is 42 too and jacket size 44 fits me snugly. Having said that, remember that size 44 in Teknic need not be same as size 44 in A* or Dainese. Generally, A* and Teknic are considered slim fits (buy one size larger than usual) while Dainese and few others are comfort fits (buy the size you usually wear)

There is no universal size for gloves - if there is, they wouldn't fit correctly. Measure the length from the tip of your fingers to just above your wrist and the max width of your palm with fingers spread out completely. Use these two measurements on the size tables online and you will get your size (M,L,XL so on).
niranjanrvce is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 16:08   #1206
BHPian

Could someone from Bangalore post a list of all motorcycle riding gear shops there? I'll be over in a month and wanted to pick up some boots. Just found out about 'let's gear up' and they appeared to have some good stuff at decent prices.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:58   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Could someone from Bangalore post a list of all motorcycle riding gear shops there? I'll be over in a month and wanted to pick up some boots. Just found out about 'let's gear up' and they appeared to have some good stuff at decent prices.
Lets gear up is one. Then there is the Cramster store on Cunningham road. Helmet Paradise opposite Urvashi theatre, Megha Helmets opposite MTR, Orion Motors - opposite Forum mall Koramangala.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 19:15   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Could someone from Bangalore post...to have some good stuff at decent prices.
Please see this post - http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/universa...tml#post957255
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:02   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Your POV please

Need your advice gurus:

I have started riding again (RE T-Bird 2004) after a 6 odd year hiatus. The 1st thing on my mind was to get the best possible gear within my limited budget.

Thus far; here's what I have managed to source from the US (a relative carried it for me):
  • Helmet - Gmax GM 68S (looks very similar to SOL). Great venting. A tad noisy but definitely not too bad. The cheek pads were a little snug (I ordered a medium) but after 100 or so Kms of riding; these have broken in rather nicely and I now it fits perfectly. It looks nice too (I have it in "titanium" colour).
  • Gloves (Summer) - Scorpion scrub. Excellent summer glove; not too much protection though (save for some TPR inserts). Looks great!
  • Boots - Alpinestars Ridge waterproof boots. These should be with me around week 1 of August. For now I am rocking the CAT steeltoes for my rides.
I need to order a (winter / waterproof) gloves, riding jacket & pants to (sort of) complete my collection (for now ).

Here's what I have shortlisted:
  • Teknic Aquavent mesh jacket - $100
  • Teknic Supervent mesh pants - $100
  • AGV Sport telluride gloves - $57
I have pretty much made up my mind on the gloves; still thinking about the jacket and pants. While I have faith in Teknic's quality (read extensive customer reviews. Too bad they are going out of business); I am not too sure about the fit. I understand that teknic usually fits a little snug. I am 5'11; 180 pounds. Chest (not shirt size but soft tape measure) is 41. I do have a bit of a gut and my waist is 36 (working on it chief). I was thinking of ordering a size 44. Does anyone here have experience with how Teknic fits? Would this size work?

And for the pants; anything else that I can look at besides supervent? Not too keen on our desi products. I did check out the AGV Sport Solare mesh pants (similar pricing) but prefer the Teknic over it.

Lastly; I am thinking of ordering from Revzilla (again; a relative in the US would be carrying it for me in Oct). Have tried ebay (USA) and Amazon but they seem to be offering the best deal. Any other portal that I should be looking at. And the stuff needs to be brand new; "slightly used / worn" will not do.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:23   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your POV please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Need your advice

Lastly; I am thinking of ordering from Revzilla (again; a relative in the US would be carrying it for me in Oct). Have tried ebay (USA) and Amazon but they seem to be offering the best deal. Any other portal that I should be looking at. And the stuff needs to be brand new; "slightly used / worn" will not do.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
Am no close to the G of guru so removed the word

If your relative is in the Raleigh / Durham side of US - he/she should visit www.cyclestore.com - they have an amazing store where things could be handpicked/chosen etc. Range of stuff is amazing too.

Or if that relative is in the New Hampshire area - should drive up and down Amherst street - there are a few stores there too.

am speaking only from personal experience.

Revzilla - i have bought a few stuff and they are simply awesome!!
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:01   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Am no close to the G of guru so removed the word

If your relative is in the Raleigh / Durham side of US - he/she should visit www.cyclestore.com - they have an amazing store where things could be handpicked/chosen etc. Range of stuff is amazing too.

Or if that relative is in the New Hampshire area - should drive up and down Amherst street - there are a few stores there too.

am speaking only from personal experience.

Revzilla - i have bought a few stuff and they are simply awesome!!
Thanks Shubz! The relative is based out of California (San Fansisco area).

Frankly; I would prefer to order online and save them (bilkul non biker people) the hassle of going shopping for me. I did check out their (cyclestore's) website; not much going on there.

I've heard great reviews about Revzilla and its customer service. Even in terms of price; I cannot see a lower quote (at least online).

What is your view on the items I have shortlisted (pants and jacket specifically)?

Guys - forgot to add in my previous post. I will most certainly be upgrading to something bigger / faster (like a 600) in about a year. I do not want to re-do my entire gear at that time; keeping in mind my street riding / touring requirements (The helmet I would want to replace for sure - Arai, AGV ....... droooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllll).

Your help and time with my queries is most appreciated.
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:27   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will most certainly be upgrading to something bigger / faster (like a 600) in about a year. I do not want to re-do my entire gear at that time; keeping in mind my street riding / touring requirements (The helmet I would want to replace for sure - Arai, AGV ....... droooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllll).
Never upgrade your gear just because you'll buy a faster bike - Safety is paramount and get the best as you can afford. I use an Arai/Soumy helmet with Joe Rocket leathers on a piddly 135cc bike
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 20:12   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Never upgrade your gear just because you'll buy a faster bike - Safety is paramount and get the best as you can afford. I use an Arai/Soumy helmet with Joe Rocket leathers on a piddly 135cc bike
Totally agree; hence focussing on the "right" gear now itself

Suggestions? Comments on what I have shortlisted thus far?
Old 24th July 2013, 12:19   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need your advice gurus:
Regarding the gloves i would suggest you buy full leather gloves. These mesh gloves will not protect you in any way in case of a fall or crash (God forbid). These are best used while cycling.

Take a look at Alpinestars or Dainese gloves in either short cuff or full gauntlet but in full leather.

Leather will provide maximum protection from abrasion, mesh will disintegrate in a couple of seconds and take your skin off with it.

With regard to the boots, the ones you have listed are fine but buy something which is slightly taller to protect your shins. A SIDI or A* or Dainese touring boot will be super comfy and superior in terms of protection. The short length boots will not do much other than protecting your ankle, toes and heel.

Buy a 2 piece leather suit from A* or dainese. You can buy a mesh or textile suit as well for summers. I am using the Spartan pants (cordura) which have Knox armor - very comfy and extensively tested as well. Cost me only 6k.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 15:29   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Regarding the gloves i would suggest you buy full leather gloves. These mesh gloves will not protect you in any way in case of a fall or crash (God forbid). These are best used while cycling.

Take a look at Alpinestars or Dainese gloves in either short cuff or full gauntlet but in full leather.

Leather will provide maximum protection from abrasion, mesh will disintegrate in a couple of seconds and take your skin off with it.

With regard to the boots, the ones you have listed are fine but buy something which is slightly taller to protect your shins. A SIDI or A* or Dainese touring boot will be super comfy and superior in terms of protection. The short length boots will not do much other than protecting your ankle, toes and heel.

Buy a 2 piece leather suit from A* or dainese. You can buy a mesh or textile suit as well for summers. I am using the Spartan pants (cordura) which have Knox armor - very comfy and extensively tested as well. Cost me only 6k.
Excellent; thanks Aditya!

A few more questions
  • What "summer" gloves do you recommend? Rs 2500 or thereabouts should be Ok.
  • I have my heart set on Dianese Nighthawk boots. This will have to wait though. Next year maybe.
  • I will most probably purchase the Teknic Aquavent jacket and Supervent pants. These are compatible with each other and can be joined to form a "summer suit" of sorts via the jacket n pant zippers.
  • I need to buy the leathers (not pants though). Still exploring. Will given you a shout out to sort out my dilemma (which I am sure I will have )
  • The spartan pants you are using; could you point me to a quick review you may have posted? How is the fit? I believe they come with knox armour which is pretty good (same as teknic). Does it have armour adjustment? How is the range? Does the armour stay in place? Any additional features you may care to point out would be most helpful.
Thanks again for your time and patience with my queries bud!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks