Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2013, 00:35   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you Shubz and Narula sir, for the detailed views.

Thank you Vijay, but I am not a fan of short cuff gloves - I prefer full gauntlets and by reading the description and looking at the pictures, I think AGV willow\ Cortech Hydro offer better protection than both Rjays Canyon and RYNOX Kombat.

--Anoop
Absolutely. Because I have quite a few friends, who own most of the high tech brands and have seen them more or less on par with what is offered here in India. Of course the higher end do have some occult know-how, but anyday full gauntlet is the right choice for a motorcyclist especially when it comes to fall induced arm twist, full gauntlet saved my palm and wrist from going to mince when I had a crash years back, same old Rjays, and not a single thing to the glove, except the grass slide which made the white glove a green splash

But all the best, do keep us posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 15:39   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
a doubt from my friend's side..who is a crazy RE fan!!!

are the RE accessories worth the price from the brand stores?
hows it compare with the brand stuff.
Sorry to bump this up, as I am not able to locate the response to this query. Apart from Brand value and recognition, how does it fare within normal usage perspective, say in comparison with the DSG NERO? I have worn both the Nero and the base variant of RE jacket (not a fare comparison at least from price point of view), but did not like the fitting of the RE much.

But how about the actual quality? Experts please advise.
Old 17th November 2013, 23:09   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Sorry to bump this up, as I am not able to locate the response to this query. Apart from Brand value and recognition, how does it fare within normal usage perspective, say in comparison with the DSG NERO? I have worn both the Nero and the base variant of RE jacket (not a fare comparison at least from price point of view), but did not like the fitting of the RE much.

But how about the actual quality? Experts please advise.
If you're looking for a jacket, stay away from DSG stuffs, personally when there was a monopoly DSG had their reigns, and then the advent of a good brand RJays changed the game altogether, now so so much to choose from, from individual brands to branded, the Indian two wheeler scene is flooded with oodles of gear to choose from. DSG isn't good when it comes to value to money proposition, and nowadays it's far worse. RE are equally the same, if not slightly on par with quality, apart from the RE tags on the jacket, there is nothing to go gaga, it's basically a renamed DSG brand jacket, not in totality at least when it comes to the quality.

The one area I would commend RE is their boots, pretty solid boots and one model of the glove, full gauntlet, forgot the name though, pretty good. Apart from that, same old stuffs manufactured in the same sweat shop.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 18th November 2013, 10:16   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
...it's basically a renamed DSG brand jacket, not in totality at least when it comes to the quality...
Thank you very much for clearing my doubts. I had expected the same after checking out at the RE stores. I know a leather jacket is the best option, but for normal city ride and occasional tours, they are more than required. Therefore, I think that mesh type jacket will serve me best, considering the hot Indian weather. My budget will be max 6K. What do you think will be a suitable option for me?

Please suggest.
Old 18th November 2013, 23:35   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Thank you very much for clearing my doubts. I had expected the same after checking out at the RE stores. I know a leather jacket is the best option, but for normal city ride and occasional tours, they are more than required. Therefore, I think that mesh type jacket will serve me best, considering the hot Indian weather. My budget will be max 6K. What do you think will be a suitable option for me?

Please suggest.
In 6k you have Rjays, you have Spartan HELIOS, Cramster Breezer, Cramster Eclipse and then you have numerous local brands like PGS etc. But like I said, Rjays, Crammy are all been in business for quite a time, before Spartan and the like came to fruition. But if you're considering a good value for money stuff, then I'd suggest Cramster, with its liners, especially the Breezer excellent jackets. Next up comes the Rjays Octane, don't go for the Swift it's not as good as you'd expect, it's a basic entry level stuff.

But Cramster Eclipse boy, I can go on and on, the best leather jacket in India with full sleeve with different liners, quilted, rain/wind, plus day visibility vest (3m scotchlite stuff ) and then a nylon pull over outside the waist area for excellent heat retention, and all under 7.5k and by far the versatile jacket ever.

But same when considered in Rjays is a tad costlier, like the Octane and even more beefed up Rjays All Season, excellent jacket, but again it's a full mesh. Cramster Eclipse too is a mesh one, but with added leather protection from neck to mitt. With Crammy Eclipse you'd tend to sweat, as this is not perforated, but once on the move, you won't feel the heat. But if you're using this is B2B traffic and it's high time, you'll feel the heat.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:38   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Planning to get a new set of gloves, any reviews on RJays Canyon? Looks pretty good for 2500.
Have been using these for more than a year now. I find them to be quite good for the money and the venting is also nice. The glove hasn't deteriorated much over usage. Only thing which is a bother is that it feels quite hard (due to the protection) around the lower part of the fingers and on long rides, it induces some bony pain in the middle and third fingers when a fist is made.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 19:42   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Have been using these for more than a year now. I find them to be quite good for the money and the venting is also nice. The glove hasn't deteriorated much over usage. Only thing which is a bother is that it feels quite hard (due to the protection) around the lower part of the fingers and on long rides, it induces some bony pain in the middle and third fingers when a fist is made.
When I was first to these gloves thingy, I used to have the same issue, and I still have small callouses on the palm due to repeated wearing of gloves, and the solution I use is to use talcum powder which reduces the irritation and it works, plus it makes your palm feel slippery and doesn't tend to stick to the hands.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 20th November 2013, 11:29   #1343
BHPian

Last sundays ride involved trying to kickstart my bullet for 20 mins while wearing a riding jacket. The end result was a lot of sweating before the bike started. How do i clean the jacket now. Its part leather part mesh. There's a sweaty odour on the inside which isnt going after two days of leaving it in the open.
Old 20th November 2013, 20:29   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Last sundays ride involved trying to kickstart my bullet for 20 mins while wearing a riding jacket. The end result was a lot of sweating before the bike started. How do i clean the jacket now. Its part leather part mesh. There's a sweaty odour on the inside which isnt going after two days of leaving it in the open.
You're absolutely right, a mesh jacket like any would definitely stink over a prolonged period of time. The stench persists because the sweat as you know is an excrement and it's the water that evaporates and the ever present salts etc, still sit in the jacket and over time dry and cause that distinct stench.

I always use mild hot water, and then use half a cup (the ones that come with the detergent itself) and then dunk the jacket and run the machine for 5 mins. And after that add some comfort fabric cleaner and it's all smelly, shiny and good as new.

As a thumb rule, jackets need more frequent cleaning as they are always drenched with sweat and other liquids

Bottomline: Mild hot water, half detergent (detergent spoon) dunk, rinse, comfort fabric cleaner. You're all set. Been doing it for three years.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 20th November 2013, 23:30   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Bottomline: Mild hot water, half detergent (detergent spoon) dunk, rinse, comfort fabric cleaner. You're all set. Been doing it for three years.

Cheers!
VJ
Is it safe to put leather in washing machine? I hear a lot of people say this but somehow I'm over cautious may be.

I usually clean with a Lexol Leather Cleaner and then apply the Leather Conditioner.
Old 21st November 2013, 00:06   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Is it safe to put leather in washing machine? I hear a lot of people say this but somehow I'm over cautious may be.

I usually clean with a Lexol Leather Cleaner and then apply the Leather Conditioner.
No, dunking anything with leather is a bad idea, but it must be properly conditioned and dry. Do not wring leather, always hang dry leather. And instead of dunking leather apparel -- I do this for my gloves, take some mild hot water, a soft lint free cloth, wet the cloth adequately, not dripping though, then hand scrub the leather for stains or cleaning.

It usually takes time, this method, but the aftermath is really quick. This way, the leather dries quickly, doesn't get dunked in water, become soggy, take time to dry.

And never ever use a hair dryer to cool the leather, it may harden the leather overtime and cause fissures.

Continue with what you're currently doing, albeit with a little consideration to never dunk it in water. Scrub clean and wipe with a well moist lint free cloth, hang dry, preferably shade dry, not direct sun dry, clean and condition, and you're all set.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 21st November 2013, 00:13   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
It usually takes time, this method, but the aftermath is really quick. This way, the leather dries quickly, doesn't get dunked in water, become soggy, take time to dry.

Continue with what you're currently doing, albeit with a little consideration to never dunk it in water. Scrub clean and wipe with a well moist lint free cloth, hang dry, preferably shade dry, not direct sun dry, clean and condition, and you're all set.

Cheers!
VJ
Yea it takes time by the time I'm done with my suit I'm exhausted.
Old 21st November 2013, 03:01   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Sharing my experience with riding gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Met with a small accident on my bike this Sunday morning. Low sided my bike on the Kathipara bridge. For some reason, for a moment I took my eyes of the road and was pondering on some thing, then I leaned in to the curve, all of a sudden I lost my front and was a passenger after that. The moment the bike crashed on the road, it got switched off. It is a safety feature, I think most fuel injected bikes have. I let go the bike, it started sliding towards the barrier but stopped just inches before it.

Luckily, it was early morning and the traffic was sparse, more than that there were no vehicles behind me at that time.

I was wearing(I always do) my jacket and it saved me from bruises. The one thing I learned from this crash is the importance of knee protector, sadly wasn't wearing one. Both my knee got bruises the size of a two rupee coin.

This where I lost the front end of the bike.
Attachment 1164027

The bike came to a halt here.
Attachment 1164029

My bruised bike, got scratches on the fairing, clutch lever, pillion rider foot rest. The gear lever got bend, got it repaired by a road side mechanic for 30 bucks .
Attachment 1164025

Hero of the day.
Attachment 1164024

After taking rest the whole after noon, went straight to Spartan pro gear and got this, Knee armour(~2500Rs). I also got a gloves(2100 Rs) since my "alpine star" gloves that I got from Planet DSG had gone bad. I seriously doubt the gloves I got from them is original.

Attachment 1164028
Old 21st November 2013, 20:30   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Sharing my experience with riding gear.
Whoops! Glad you're safe buddy. Yea, the first primal reaction to an accident are the hands and the limbs, but trust me, you can even control your hand to an extent, but legs, boy, they hurt real bad.

Glad to see you've invested in a good pair of riding gear.

DSG are the authorized reseller of A* though like any gear, unlike Made in Italy, these are mass produced and what more can you expect, be it A* or any gear, when it has to go, it has to go.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:43   #1350
Distinguished - BHPian

DSG Primal Gloves and Spartan Pro Gear Perseus Knee guard review

DSG Primal Gloves and Spartan Pro Gear Perseus Knee guard review

After contemplating for long over the purchase of riding gear, decided that its time to start to build my Riding gear wardrobe. Couple of crashes seen on our very own accidents pushed me over the edge to finally bite the bullet and start my gear collection. I wish to thank fellow members over here in the biking thread who constantly stressed the importance of the riding gear.

So i went ahead and purchased the gloves and the knee guards as a start point. I have used the the above products for one week .

DSG Primal Gloves

I originally had intended to purchase Spartan Pro Gear ARES gloves . But due to the unavailability of the same at all the resellers in Bangalore and no definite time line for the fresh stock to arrive, decided to go for the next best gloves. Bought it from Helmet Paradise opposite Urvashi theater for Rs.2999 in Size M .I think M size should fit most of the average built Indians pretty well.

The gloves are very comfortable.Made of full leather and carbon fibre. They have a snug fit with good protection for knuckles and palms. Best part is they are full gauntlet and extend till fore arms. Operating switches and horn took a while to get adjusted to. Have carbon fiber protection for knuckles,little finger and palm. They do get uncomfortable when worn in bumper to bumper traffic in hot weather . But once you reach 30-40 kmph they vents on the fingers start working and you will feel the coolness inside. Overall very good gloves. Since these are my first pair i cant compare them with any other. But for first buy, these are very good gloves.

Spartan Pro Gear Perseus Knee guard

Purchased these from Biking Spirit on Church street and costed me Rs.2500 . The main intent was to buy knee protectors that i can wear to office without looking like someone who has come to play cricket with the full length knee guards. The only ones which fit my needs and wallet were these. They come in only one usiversal size

These have a elastic covering with a flexible and soft Knox armour underneath which provides protection. You have to wear these like socks which you pull till the armour cover the knees.There are two elastic bands at top and bottom which you have to fasten across your thighs and calfs.These are pretty comfortable. Walking while wearing these is a bit cumbersome. Besides you have to walk at half the pace you usually walk otherwise the guards will start sliding down.

While riding , since your knees are bent, this position will lock the guards in place and prevent them from sliding down. Even then if you ride over bumpy roads these will slide down a bit but not too much since your knees are bent. These observations are with formal pants. But if you are wearing jeans, they fit really nice and tight and never slide down. Its like these are tailor made for wearing with jeans.

These are good if your thigh just above the knee is not very stocky. Those who are slim to medium build will have a very good fit with these. Others will feel slight difficulty with the fitting.

For those who are looking forward for knee protection in formal attire , these are perfect match! Only concern is the longivity of the elastic bands and strips! That only time will tell.

Most Viewed