Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2017, 19:27   #24526
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Quote:
An accident occurred last week just outside Bangalore where in the driver of a XUV500 was blinded by smoke and happened to rear end a truck.

According to a post made by him, he was cruising with his family on a highway near Bangalore around 8.30 pm at night with the cruise control set at 80 kmph. Since the driver had enough visibility, he continued to carry on at that speed. Suddenly, out of the blue he noticed smoke on the road.
Instinctively, he slowed down. However the smoke began to get thicker and he was then completely blinded by the smoke. The driver did realize that there was a turn and managed to negotiate it only to realize that there was a very slow moving truck right in front that was emitting the massive black smoke stream. Having very less time to react, the driver obviously stood on the brakes to try bringing the vehicle to a halt. Sadly, he wasn’t successful.

He ended up hitting the truck and the divider. As expected, the vehicle stalled, the electronics died and the truck just drove away. The truck driver didn’t even bother to stop. He just went on as if nothing had happened. The impact looks massive but luckily the owner nor his family was injured in this incident. The vehicle really took the impact of the crash pretty well. The XUV has scored a 4 star rating in the ANCAP and it looks like it has done its job really well.

The reason why the vehicle looks in such bad a condition is due to the fact that it hit a massive truck, which from the looks of it didn’t have an under guard and hence the A-pillar has taken the impact. While we can argue on why the airbags didn’t open, the fact that even without them, the passengers walked out without any injury says a lot.
http://www.cartoq.com/blinded-by-smo...e-the-results/

NOTE FROM MOD: Post edited.
1) Always put quoted text in a quote box
2) Link directly to the actual article page (not just the website homepage)

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2017 at 11:11. Reason: Please see the Mod note at the end of your post.
sparky@home is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 19:34   #24527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
An accident occurred last week just outside Bangalore where in the driver of a XUV500 was blinded by smoke and happened to rear end a truck.
I recall very well that this was discussed here almost an year or two ago.

Here you go : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4081721

Posted by a BHPian himself, manipal who was behind the wheels of this XUV on 26th October 2016!

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th September 2017 at 11:13. Reason: Removing last line. The Cartoq article is from 2016 too.
paragsachania is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 19:38   #24528
BHPian

ok, that is old news, i saw this on car toq and thought it interesting. i was not aware.
sparky@home is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 10:39   #24529
BHPian

XUV rams lorry, one killed in Hyderabad

From https://telanganatoday.com/xuv-rams-...lled-hyderabad :

According to the Kukatpally police, the accident occurred in the intervening hours of Sunday and Monday when the passengers were heading to Moosapet to attend Ganesh idol immersion at Kukatpally.

“Chary and four of his friends were in an inebriated condition when the accident occurred,” the police said.

Kukatpally Sub-Inspector Majid Ali said the driver, whose details are yet to be identified, lost control of the vehicle after reaching Moosapet and hit the lorry from the rear. “The XUV car rammed the left side of the lorry and in the impact, the entire car got damaged, with the front portion of the vehicle almost getting crushed,” he said.
Old 5th September 2017, 10:47   #24530
BHPian

On Ganesh Chaturthi weekend, on Mangalore Highway somewhere near CR Patna.

The Figo was doing high speeds when he suddenly spotted an Indica driving towards him on the "high speed" lane and lost control. There were 3 occupants and by god's grace none were severely injured.

The Indica driver was a localite and he along with his friends were harassing the Figo driver for rash driving!! Seriously?!! :@
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1504588537299.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1504588557312.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1504588571929.jpg  

nerd1200 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 10:56   #24531
BHPian

One common narrative in both the above accidents is "driver lost control of the vehicle". This phrase is ambiguous. Either the vehicle must have deplorable handling or the driver must be extremely negligent, distracted and/or incompetent.
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 11:05   #24532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
On Ganesh Chaturthi weekend, on Mangalore Highway somewhere near CR Patna.

The Figo was doing high speeds
The Figo's tyres look bald to me.What control would one have in an emergency?
Old 5th September 2017, 11:18   #24533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The Figo's tyres look bald to me.What control would one have in an emergency?
Driving with tyres with no tread is the fault of the driver but also one should ponder if the vehicles we drive have any safety features which can bail us out in emergency situations. Atleast ABS should be mandatory on all cars which will give the driver confidence to brake hard in emergency situations. Many of these small cars are so much prone to go out of control. There have been alarmingly high number of i20 accidents.

Also the Indian traffic police and media should go beyond harping about "over speeding" and "driver/vehicle lost control" as the only reasons for accidents and educate the masses about more precise causes.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:07   #24534
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Aug 15th - D-Day

It was again a slightly curvy road, drizzling and slippery. Was again not sure if the brakes would have helped to stop the car without colliding head on, also was not sure whether that guy would have braked in time, as I noticed him to be frozen and skidding all along seeing me. Though I managed to avoid a head on, this time I was not lucky enough. The Omni scraped all along the side of the car starting right from ripping the RVM.
Glad that you came out safe. The Omni was indeed on a death wish.

Good driving habits are an absolute must in the hills and twisty roads. Stick to your lane and never overtake on the curves.
It is a good practice to always honk before approaching a blind curve. You never know whats on the other side but at least they will be alerted of your presence around the corner. In the nights, headlights reflecting on the hill side/bushes can alert the oncoming traffic around the curve.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 14:05   #24535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Received the following pics over Whatsapp about a Fiat Punto Abarth having a nasty crash at super high speeds (150+ as per the message) somewhere along NH-2 on Sunday.

The driver thankfully is alive and escaped with minor injuries.
Surely driver must have been belted to come alive on this accident. Glad to know the well engineered and built Fiat could keep the cabin in reasonable shape and thus saved him. If one were to see just the images, I can assure no one can guess occupants could come alive.
Old 5th September 2017, 14:20   #24536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Aug 15th - D-Day
Hats off to your decision of not stomping on the brakes and swerving away from the oncoming car to avoid a head on collision. It definitely looks like the Omni drive had either no control or like you said, just froze. Your presence of mind and driving skill is what saved the day in the end.

The Rehearsal incident got me thinking about what I would do if I were faced with the situation the Innova and Santro drivers faced, driving on a narrow road, approaching a curve, with a stationary bus blocking the lane and any visibility of oncoming traffic. I guess there is no option other than to stop behind the bus and wait for it to move. But all of that could have been avoided if the stupid bus drive didn't choose to stop there, right at the curve .
sunny310c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 14:42   #24537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Received the following pics over Whatsapp about a Fiat Punto Abarth having a nasty crash at super high speeds (150+ as per the message) somewhere along NH-2 on Sunday.

The driver thankfully is alive and escaped with minor injuries.
YouTube link depicting the same accident. I doubt the truck came in the opposite lane claim and all. Seems like reckless driving to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I am 100% sure that the next car he gets will be a Fiat. While many of us will comment about the safety of Fiats vs others, let me first put in that there are other cars out there that are equally safe, but here on our Indians roads, its best to err on the side of caution. Thats also a reason why I cruise at speeds on 80 km/h despite having an Abarth.
As per the messages I received on whatsapp, he had named it Pumba and yes, he's getting an ABARTH Punto again. Unconfirmed, as I said from whatsapp conversations.

Last edited by bblost : 5th September 2017 at 14:47. Reason: Embedded the video.
Old 5th September 2017, 14:52   #24538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Seems your remark has been taken note of. The text is changed now.

Just now received more pictures of this accident on Whatsapp.
Adding more pictures of the JEEP Compass which met with the accident. The vehicle is currently at KHT, Yeswanthpur, Bengaluru.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170902-4.49.00-pm.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170902-4.49.00-pm-2.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20170902-4.49.00-pm-1.jpeg  

Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 15:31   #24539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
One common narrative in both the above accidents is "driver lost control of the vehicle". This phrase is ambiguous. Either the vehicle must have deplorable handling or the driver must be extremely negligent, distracted and/or incompetent.
We have talked about this one before: "lost control" actually means failed to, or could not, control the vehicle. Or actually never had proper control of it in the first place. But the phrase is used as if some unknown force took a hand, at which point what happens ceases to be the driver's responsibility.

I don't think that we actually even know how much control we have over the vehicle until it is challenged past that point. Plainly, experience increases the margin. And respect to those who learn and study in a safe environment beyond normal street driving.

We may look at some of the occurrences in this thread and easily conclude that somebody did something dumb or stupid. But the thing that catches us out might be around the next corner.

NB: please don't think that because I'm writing this I always succeed in remembering it. I try, but I don't.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th September 2017 at 15:34.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 17:10   #24540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But the phrase is used as if some unknown force took a hand, at which point what happens ceases to be the driver's responsibility.
Every tamil newspaper that I read and every tamil news channel I watch, while reporting an accident goes like "The vehicle lost control of the driver and ran amok before hitting on to the..." . Heights of stupidity. How could it happen in all the cases ? I mean how could every vehicle loss the control of the driver by itself, as if there is possessed by some evil spirit causing it to act by itself. That's how news reports are presented, sadly. It would make more sense if the news reports are presented like "The driver lost control of the vehicle due to..."
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed