Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 15:55   #32221
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Speeding Innova kills Tiger in Corbett Tiger Reserve, Uttarakhand.
The section being talked about is more or less, a narrow two lane road with twists and turn too, but since it's mostly empty ahead of Ramnagar / Corbett, people tend to frequently hit 3 digit speeds there, especially the locals who are driving large and powerful UVs like say XUV, Creta, Innova, fortuner etc. I have first hand experience of having a few such drives on the same section during late hours, and every time the friend who owns the car, used to tell his chauffeur to slow down as some animal may come in the way. And yes, tigers actually cross the road there, but they do it really quick; you will get just the glimpse for a micro second, they cross the entire road in just one jump to be precise.

The Innova in question is again a local vehicle (Going by registration no.), and has taken an extensive damage too. Looking at the damage to the vehicle, I am quite sure that they must have been doing some good speeds in the section. Else, if any car is driven at 40-50 kph (Speed limit there), I don't think that it can hit an agile and intelligent animal like a tiger, or even hit, I don't believe that this much can happen at 40-50 kph. The car driver is doomed for sure.

Silver lining - for the first time I am seeing an Innova (Or any Toyota) whose all 7 airbags have worked as intended!
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 22:58   #32222
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Earlier this week i had visited Jalandhar and stayed at Ramada Kapurthala. While going back to the hotel at night, the bridge over the railway line was blocked both ways by a long empty trailer. The driver seems to have lost control due to the curvy bridge and wet roads.

The funny part was there were no barricades placed at the beginning of the bridge and we had to turn around after climbing half way up.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20210105_231826.jpg  

Old 11th January 2021, 12:27   #32223
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this Volvo S90 last week.

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 17:13   #32224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
That's no regular stuff. Any modern car falling in that condition is bound to be crushed like fritter in your fist. Altroz holding on to its shape and occupants walking away is a great display of overall build quality(Not just what we see in the speed crash tests).

Great job on attention to occupant safety from Tata Motors is on display here.
amods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:23   #32225
Senior - BHPian

News just came in: Union minister Shripad Naik's vehicle met with an accident in Karnataka's Uttara Kannada district. They were travelling to Gokarna from Yellapur. The driver reportedly lost control and fell into a ditch.

Quote:
Union Minister Shripad Naik and his wife met with an accident in Karnataka's Uttara Kannada district on Monday. Shripad Naik's wife has succumbed to her injuries.
Shripad Naik is reportedly critical and has been moved to Goa for treatment.
Apart from Shripad Naik's wife, a karyakarta has also died in the accident.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sn.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sn1.jpg
(Picture courtesy: Social Media)

Last edited by airbus : 11th January 2021 at 22:27. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 23:07   #32226
BHPian

Why worry about non availability of official crash test, when we Indians can do it unofficially.

Source - FB
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-0946da51d713448ebe010bf24773f52a.jpeg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bce82e6cc5954ca4a137cec7c79ffa80.jpeg  

vvivek85 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 00:58   #32227
BHPian

A Seltos T-boned a harrier at a reported 80kmph. The level of damage is vastly different.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1610393000261.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1610392997677.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1610392989512.jpg

Link to the video here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/club...6218693134733/

Last edited by Aditya : 12th January 2021 at 20:16. Reason: Image orientation corrected
Bluengel180 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:56   #32228
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately we see too many comments like this "Take a bow"

The fact is
1. Safety may not be directly proportionate to apparent damage.
2. Angle and velocities involved in any collision will determine the damage to respective vehicles.

The crumple zone safety absorbing forces of impact is known and proven fact versus hard shell transferring almost full impact energy to occupants inside.

RANT OVER.

Yes it does look Tata hardly suffered any damage.

Last edited by vb-saan : 12th January 2021 at 11:09. Reason: Typo
sudev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:02   #32229
Senior - BHPian

My understanding is that other things being equal, the occupants of the vehicle that gets T boned is more likely to get injured than the occupants of the vehicle hitting them head on, because you have a bonnet and a much longer crumple zone in the front of the vehicle. The vehicle that gets T boned doesn't have that luxury. Given the sad state of the Seltos, the Harrier seems to have taken the hit pretty well. Please correct me if my understanding in wrong.

Last edited by longhorn : 12th January 2021 at 12:05.
longhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:09   #32230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Unfortunately we see too many comments like this "Take a bow"

The fact is
1. Safety may not be directly proportionate to apparent damage.
2. Angle and velocities involved in any collision will determine the damage to respective vehicles.

The crumple zone safety absorbing forces of impact is known and proven fact versus hard shell transferring almost full impact energy to occupants inside.

RANT OVER.

Yes it does look Tata hardly suffered any damage.
+1 to the Rant

The harrier does seem better off. Good to see airbags deployed inside although the harrier may have suffered damages to the floor as door sills are bent in, along with the axle, engine mounts, front crossmember behind the dashboard etc.

Major benefit is from a vehicle that is taller and majority of impact was towards the lower passenger compartment and front three quarters.

Last edited by 88_TANK_88 : 12th January 2021 at 12:12. Reason: Additional info
88_TANK_88 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:14   #32231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Link to the video here
It would be great if a direct link to the video is available. I don't have Facebook, and I think quite a chunky population of BHPians doesn't either. This looks to be an interesting (in an academic sense) accident.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:16   #32232
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps it also helps that the Harrier 'squat's a bit relative to its size because of its wheelbase. Any taller SUV could have toppled over. Please check out a YT video of a Santro toppling an Endeavour. But lets not also forget that airbags or not, people can be injured in a t-bone accident if they are not buckled up (we lost a prominent politician a few years ago in a t-bone accident).
Old 12th January 2021, 12:18   #32233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
It would be great if a direct link to the video is available. I don't have Facebook, and I think quite a chunky population of BHPians doesn't either. This looks to be an interesting (in an academic sense) accident.
The video is posted in the members only harrier owners group, so even with access to FB, I am not able to view it.
88_TANK_88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:37   #32234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
A Seltos T-boned a harrier at a reported 80kmph. The level of damage is vastly different.
Great to see the curtain airbags getting deployed and doing the job what they ought to unlike some big brands where they've failed. Harrier has taken the hit in stride.

The crumple zone of Seltos has also done it's job. I don't see any cabin intrusion kind of thing in the snaps.

I'm not on Facebook so can't see the video therefore I searched YouTube and found this video. Apparently this happened in Gujarat as per the number plate of the Dzire. Please ignore the commentary by the uploader.

BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:51   #32235
BHPian

Not sure what the auto driver was trying to pull. Only seen such videos from China so that the criminal can avoid paying for lifetime medical expenses of the victim.

https://twitter.com/Karthiknayaka/st...479215620?s=19

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th January 2021 at 16:53. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks