Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 20:03   #10531
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
There are few posts which questions City's build quality by seeing the picture of accident. I would like to add that one must note that Dzire's front is not crushed as much as City's rear because the engine must have taken the impact whereas City's rear is empty(boot) with no support. Rear portion is always weaker than Front IMO. And when City must have hit something on rear ending which further crushed the car. Please don't do negative publicity of a car without a valid reason.

If a car is rear ended at over speeds like 100+, results will be always like this, be it a City, Dzire or any other car.

2. No one questioned the build quality of Lamborghini?

3. Please don't feel offended - my personal views.
We have literally lost the count now, how many times there has always been a debate over a Honda city accident.
I had also posted a severe damage to Honda city just after hitting a bicycle. But some people defended it for pedestrian safety

Every time i open the flimsy tin (similar to a pepsi can) boot or bonnet, which can be lifted with one finger very vague feeling comes to my mind. Similarly when i open or close the doors of honda city, somewhere lack of safety feeling strucks me. Same happens when i cross 120kmph mark.

Whatsoever may be the debate but till date whatever small accidents i have heard/seen of honda city has proved disastrous to the car as well its occupants.

On our forum a person who own 13 honda citys too says the same about them
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post886751

A pulsar bangs honda city of our forum member and he incurs cost of 4 lacs

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-accident.html

Similar accident with a bike leaves honda city thrashed. Now we cant say that the bike is more well built than a car.

Similarly honda city got toppled after hit by a auto rick. Looking at the auto one can see it has hardly been damaged and stands still.

Leaving apart the debate of build quality of the honda city, i would sincerely request people driving honda city to drive with extreme caution. It has a very powerful petrol engine mated to light weight tin which makes it fun to drive like a yamaha rx100. But hardly it has any control or stability owing to skinny tyres and skinny sheet metal.

Here the dezire has hit the honda city and the reduced it to half. the rear end has to be strong enough to withstand rear impact. Yes cars do get deformed but not reduced to half this way. This has clearly happened due to flimsy sheet metal at the rear.

I will post the pics of my neighbors i20 rear ended by a 1109 tata truck at speed of ~70kmph still everyone was safe and the car dint receive such a brunt. Yes there was a huge loss of 1.75 lacs, but still the fate was not as bad as this city.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-42038.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-34377.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-34376.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11313.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11317.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11319.jpg  

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 1st March 2012 at 20:10.
amit_mechengg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:41   #10532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
We have literally lost the count now, how many times there has always been a debate over a Honda city accident.
I had also posted a severe damage to Honda city just after hitting a bicycle. But some people defended it for pedestrian safety
I absolutely agree that boot lid is tin light and even I fear of damaging it if closed by force. But except for this part I have no complaint from other parts like door, bonnet etc.

Try to understand that I am not defending Honda City just because I own one (I own a Maruti and Hyundai as well). I defend because it has been rear ended by a car which was speeding over 100+ (120-150 as reported by media) and City was slow as it has just taken a turn. IMO it was Dzire's fault. Whoever's fault was - both have paid the price. Just think of it one car doing 20-40 KMPH and other 120 KMPH. I believe that this would have been same fate for Dzire if it was rear ended by City in same conditions.

No car is strong enough to get rear ended by some car doing 100+ and 100 is some good amount of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Given the state of the City's rear, could it be possible that it was doing a negligible speed?

In this rear-ending, looks like there was a HUGE amount of energy transfer due to a big diff. in speeds and hence, it's in such a state.
+1

It was in fact doing negligible speed. Have a look at the figure.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-article210731411f32594000005dc224_468x341.jpg

PS - All said and done I will not debate further over this. Let the deceased RIP and drive safe every one especially City owners as suggested by Amit!

Last edited by bluevolt : 1st March 2012 at 20:44.
Old 1st March 2012, 20:50   #10533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And as far as I understand the deployment of airbags is associated with rapid deceleration and not with frontal/rear collision.

RIP to the deceased.

PS - 1. I wonder what must be the results if City had a CNG kit?

2. No one questioned the build quality of Lamborghini?
Sirjee,
a. Airbags deploy courtesy sensors in the front : Airbag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
b. CNG kit would have been in one piece for sure. These cylinders are designed to really high standards (read European). And no one - repeat no one, makes or buys counterfeit cylinders (as of 3 years back, personal survey). counterfeit kits are dime a dozen.
c. it impacted those iron rods at possibly triple digit speeds. those burly rods can literally tear apart a car, no? or did its carbon fiber body have anything to do with that as well?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:51   #10534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I absolutely agree that boot lid is tin light and even I fear of damaging it if closed by force. But except for this part I have no complaint from other parts like door, bonnet etc.

Try to understand that I am not defending Honda City just because I own one (I own a Maruti and Hyundai as well). I defend because it has been rear ended by a car which was speeding over 100+ (120-150 as reported by media) and City was slow as it has just taken a turn. IMO it was Dzire's fault. Just think of it one car doing 20-40 KMPH and other 120 KMPH. I believe that this would have been same fate for Dzire if it was rear ended by City in same conditions.

No car is strong enough to get rear ended by some car doing 100+ and 100 is some good amount of speed.

+1

It was in fact doing negligible speed. Have a look at the figure.

Attachment 895801

PS - All said and done I will not debate further over this. Let the deceased RIP and drive safe every one especially City owners as suggested by Amit!

No Sir i am not saying that you are giving a biased opinion or defending honda city because you own one. Lot of my relatives too have the same car. I love the car too but there are somethings which cant be neglected.

Yes the damage is more because its rear ended by a car, but lets not forget its rear ended by a maruti car which too has thin sheet metal. Yes there was a engine in front too which caused more damage to honda city but to be frank its more due to the bad build quality of honda city that the owner expired.

Had it been other car like Vento, or Linea or Skoda etc i am sure the maruti would have never pierced so far into the rear.
The rear of every car is solidly reinforced and also has a spare tyre mounted in the boot well which is equally strong + rear arms etc which take all the impact.

IMHO Honda shouldn't go too ballistic about making lighter cars, providing skinny tyres on most beautiful & powerful petrol engines , just for performance or mileage claims. They by now very well know what indian roads are and what they demand. They should provide more reinforcement especially for India if not somewhere else.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 22:27   #10535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Sir i am not saying that you are giving a biased opinion or defending honda city because you own one. Lot of my relatives too have the same car. I love the car too but there are somethings which cant be neglected.

Yes the damage is more because its rear ended by a car, but lets not forget its rear ended by a maruti car which too has thin sheet metal. Yes there was a engine in front too which caused more damage to honda city but to be frank its more due to the bad build quality of honda city that the owner expired.

Had it been other car like Vento, or Linea or Skoda etc i am sure the maruti would have never pierced so far into the rear.
The rear of every car is solidly reinforced and also has a spare tyre mounted in the boot well which is equally strong + rear arms etc which take all the impact.

IMHO Honda shouldn't go too ballistic about making lighter cars, providing skinny tyres on most beautiful & powerful petrol engines , just for performance or mileage claims. They by now very well know what indian roads are and what they demand. They should provide more reinforcement especially for India if not somewhere else.
The basic question is that how can a car which was rear ended by a smaller car can sustain this much damage? The Dzire passenger cabin is intact while city is reduced a car half its length.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:43   #10536
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on February 23, on the Calicut-Palghat road.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acci.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2012, 00:45   #10537
BHPian

A Ford Ikon which rear ended another vehicle had caused a jam on the road leading to Wakad from Aundh today at about 10am. The Ikon was lying in the middle of the road with the front portion damaged upto the radiator. There were marks of hard braking. It seemed to had happened a few minutes before I passed. The other vehicle involved was not seen around.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:48   #10538
Senior - BHPian

3 people injured because of converting the Worli Sea Face road to a racing track. As per the below news report source NDTV.

Thrill for speed: 3 injured as cars collide in Mumbai

This is not the first and sadly would not be the last of the accidents on this stretch of road.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mumbaiworliseaaccident295.jpg

Last edited by amitwlele : 2nd March 2012 at 08:50.
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:40   #10539
Senior - BHPian

Mangalore: Lucky Escape for Doctor, Public as Speeding Bus Rams into Car

Quote:
In what may well have resulted into a major tragedy, a speeding bus rammed into a doctor's car which in turn hit a compound wall, destroying it completely.
The incident took place on Thursday March 1 when Dr Umananda Mallya of Vijaya Clinic, Bunts Hostel was taking a right turn towards his clinic. The right indicator of the car, a Maruti Ritz, was on.
Yet another speeding public transport bus in Mangalore, yet another accident. Yet, the people move on. Almost all the roads have been under construction inside the city since last 3 -4 years, causing jams all the time. Private buses try racing against each other either because they are late due to traffic, or they simply want to beat the other bus to gather more passengers, and innocent people pay a huge price for that.

For that matter, the road in front of my parents' house was concretised 5 - 6 years ago, but a footpath was never built. There is still a 6 foot deep gutter totally open. I'm surprised why no one has fallen in it yet!
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:18   #10540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The basic question is that how can a car which was rear ended by a smaller car can sustain this much damage? The Dzire passenger cabin is intact while city is reduced a car half its length.
A theory, but it can happen with such consequences.
If a car has been damaged before and repaired inapropriately, like denting panels which should have been replaced, then you are compromising the safety aspect as you cannot get it exactly right and the car becomes weak. Sometime back in the TV programm wheeler dealers they showed such a car which was perfect in appearance but was a cut-paste job compromising safety and had to be scrapped, a lemon.
Abroad, in such heavy accidents, vehicles are often checked for such fudging, this also has insurance compensation implications.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 2nd March 2012 at 18:20.
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:00   #10541
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Similar accident with a bike leaves honda city thrashed. Now we cant say that the bike is more well built than a car.
If you are referring to the pic with the bike & the car in your post, then I will place my bets on that pic being created. The bike was not part of the original pic.

Two reasons:
1. Look at the stand of the bike. It's standing on one half of the main stand ?
2. The Shadow that the bike casts does not match the bike. (left side of the crash guard is intact, yet it does not cast even a small shadow.
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:32   #10542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you are referring to the pic with the bike & the car in your post, then I will place my bets on that pic being created. The bike was not part of the original pic.

Two reasons:
1. Look at the stand of the bike. It's standing on one half of the main stand ?
2. The Shadow that the bike casts does not match the bike. (left side of the crash guard is intact, yet it does not cast even a small shadow.
I dont think so, look at the rear tyre of the bike. Its buried in the stones.

Looking at the shadow i think sun is upright and so it seems like that.
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:39   #10543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Similarly honda city got toppled after hit by a auto rick. Looking at the auto one can see it has hardly been damaged and stands still.
I remember that incident. It happened in Mumbai. City was being driven by a newbie lady driver. When she scraped an auto she panicked and hit the accelerator pedal instead of brake. The car hit the divider and toppled.

There is a thread about how a Micra survived a head-on collision with truck. Also in another thread a merc driver lost his life after head-on collision with a truck. Each accident is unique and can't really ascertain the forces acting on the vehicle just by looking at the aftermath photos.

In the early pages of this thread there is a photo of Skoda whose boot was sliced and got separated from the body. Also there is a famous Ikon accident in Mumbai where the car hit a pole and got sliced at A-pillar. Both these cars were built with thicker metal. But the point is impact forces during an accident is difficult to comprehend without a thorough investigation.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:48   #10544
Senior - BHPian

Spotted at haryana
1. sonipat
2. yamunanagar flyover.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-b-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc_0004.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2012, 23:01   #10545
BHPian

I saw this rear ended car on my way to my clinic yesterday but the bus was nowhere to be seen. Both me and my wife were wondering which vehicle could have hit this car.
The doctor survived with minor injuries but if it had been a 2 wheeler the rider would have been dead for sure. These bus drivers drive like crazy inside the city. You should see them take off from the traffic lights its like a F1 GP start and they try to overtake you from any side where they can see a small gap
Even though i love driving around in a 2 wheeler and find it very practical to use inside city with the advantage of easy parking these buses scare the daylights out of me and i don't feel safe even in a car when you hear them honking behind you impatiently to overtake from nonexistent gaps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks