Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 13:04   #10516
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I think Dzire's driver wasn't belted, the front impact on the dzire doesn't look fatal if the driver/passenger were belted.

Dzire doing triple digit speeds and such frontal damage still seems believable but combine it with the same car rear-ending a City and shrinking it to half its length is kind of unbelievable.
If the DZire driver has passed away, looking at the damage to the car, he surely wasn't belted in. If he was, he would probably have lived with some injuries.

Most the energy of impact seems to have been dissipated by the crumpling of the City. Which would also probably explain the relative lack of frontal damage to the DZire.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:16   #10517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that the airbag I see on City? Do airbags get activated in case of rear-endings too?
in all probability the ANHC hit something else after being rear-ended by the DZire, like a divider or something. that might have triggered the air bag deployment.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:17   #10518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
If the DZire driver has passed away, looking at the damage to the car, he surely wasn't belted in. If he was, he would probably have lived with some injuries.
Question for all: If the driver is wearing seat belts and gets into a similar accident where there is no damage inside the cabin and the crumple zones take all the impact, what kind of injuries would a person get with a sudden jolt of coming to standstill from double/triple digit speeds.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:26   #10519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question for all: If the driver is wearing seat belts and gets into a similar accident where there is no damage inside the cabin and the crumple zones take all the impact, what kind of injuries would a person get with a sudden jolt of coming to standstill from double/triple digit speeds.
- breathlessness
- dizziness
- disorientation
- chest pain from being pushed against the seat belt
- concussion from the whiplash movement (if the headrest is not there, you could break your neck)

IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 13:27   #10520
Senior - BHPian

The accident between the Dzire and the Honda city happened sometime around 1:45 am, correct? Someone mentioned that the driver may have failed to check oncoming traffic before taking the fatal left turn.
My question is how many of these drivers driving late at night or early in the morning are rested enough to stay alert enough to overspeeding traffic or to even control their own actions?
In this case, if the Honda City driver was working all day and then driving late at night it is also a problem. Of course, this is based on assumption of timings.
RIP to the deceased.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:38   #10521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The City is a car that's been made for developing markets. It is based on the Jazz platform. But the Jazz is sold in several other continents too. While the Jazz may be a tried and tested (for safety) product since it's sold in Europe, the City probably isn't. Could this be the reason for that disturbingly shoddy quality?
Well, that could be one possible reason. Even though the City is a sedan, it weighs only around 30 kgs more than the Jazz. Lighter cars may its own benefits, but I hope manufacturers take a note that they don’t achieve this by compromising on the safety of the passenger shell. I hope Honda take notice of this kind of fatal accidents, and improve up on these aspects.
Old 1st March 2012, 13:40   #10522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
- breathlessness
- dizziness
- disorientation
- chest pain from being pushed against the seat belt
- concussion from the whiplash movement (if the headrest is not there, you could break your neck)
To add to your list ...
- arms flailing could hit car interior parts or steering wheel, resulting in forearm/wrist/hand injuries
- collar bone and/or shoulder could take the load of the seat belt and possibly dislocate/fracture
- rope burn like injury on the shoulder from seat belt digging in
- cuts from flying glass
- ankle & foot injury if pedals and firewall intrude or if your feet get tangled with pedals

From personal experience, all these injuries are perfectly survivable and a normal human being will fully recover even if medical attention is not received within the "golden hour".

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 1st March 2012 at 13:43.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 14:00   #10523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
quite possible for a car maker to make their car 'safe' with a weaker rear end.
Unlike Micra. It has a stiff bar at the bottom of the rear seat presumably to enhance structural rigidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Btw, not sure if you saw this but, in continuation of our earlier conversation on this thread - I saw the obituary in TOI yesterday & the lady in question is 50 years old. No way she was seven months pregnant - I can't figure why some newspapers add this kind of senseless, inaccurate stuff to accident reports
Completely agree. I read similar off twitter - she was fardeen's aunt for god's sakes. Newspapers are often just adding masala for no reason.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:14   #10524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Unlike Micra. It has a stiff bar at the bottom of the rear seat presumably to enhance structural rigidity.
Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant here.

What I meant was, as there is no test specific for rear end collision in ANCAP, a car manufacturer can get their car rated as safe, with weaker rear section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I'm very sorry for failing to spot ANCAP rating for Honda City. I just browsed through EuroNCAP to see if they also honor rear impact and I observed the following-

There are five levels of safety rating while testing an impact-
1. Good
2. Adequate
3. Marginal
4. Weak
5. Poor

They give out five star rating even to those cars with "marginal" rear impact safety. This is shocking to know. I browsed through many cars and found that most new BMW's come with "marginal" rear impact safety and yet are rated same 5 stars as Volvo's which come with "good" rear impact safety.
^^ This was the point, which I was trying to convey.

Last edited by ecenandu : 1st March 2012 at 14:22.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:21   #10525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Completely agree. I read similar off twitter - she was fardeen's aunt for god's sakes. Newspapers are often just adding masala for no reason.
Actually she was Fardeen's half-sister...
Old 1st March 2012, 16:35   #10526
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
RIP to the deceased.

The stretch between Udupi and Mangalore is a sure-shot recipe for disaster.

While in Manipal, I rode just once to Mangalore and the whole experience was terrible. These Express buses that ply between Mangalore and Udupi and often till Kundapura are driven worse than the Volvos and cabs in B'lore. They are often drive ~80 km/hr, have no regard for lane discipline and have the guts to overtake when there are trucks in the opposite lane within sniffing distance. I mean, even the KSRTC Volvos don't mess around with these folks. And less said the better about the condition of these buses.

With the stretch now becoming a 4-lane divided road, hopefully things should be less horrifying.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:58   #10527
Senior - BHPian

There are few posts which questions City's build quality by seeing the picture of accident. I would like to add that one must note that Dzire's front is not crushed as much as City's rear because the engine must have taken the impact whereas City's rear is empty(boot) with no support. Rear portion is always weaker than Front IMO. And when City must have hit something on rear ending which further crushed the car. Please don't do negative publicity of a car without a valid reason.

If a car is rear ended at over speeds like 100+, results will be always like this, be it a City, Dzire or any other car.

And as far as I understand the deployment of airbags is associated with rapid deceleration and not with frontal/rear collision.

RIP to the deceased.

PS - 1. I wonder what must be the results if City had a CNG kit?

2. No one questioned the build quality of Lamborghini?

3. Please don't feel offended - my personal views.

Last edited by bluevolt : 1st March 2012 at 17:12.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:15   #10528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
There are few posts which questions City's build quality by seeing the picture of accident. I would like to add that one must note that Dzire's front is not crushed as much as City's rear because the engine must have taken the impact whereas City's rear is empty(boot) with no support. Rear portion is always weaker than Front IMO. Please don't do negative publicity of a car without a valid reason.

If a car is rear ended at over speeds like 100+, results will be always like this, be it a City, Dzire or any other car.
The rear ends are made stiffer than front. The front end of modern cars are delibearately made to absorb impact. Hence when Dzire rear ended City, the front of Swift Dzire was to absorb a lot of impact and crush itself.

Here, even the cabin of City is crushed, i.e. cabin integrity is compromised, which is not supposed to be the case.

There are many images where in the rear ending car damages its front more than the car that was rear ended.
Here, for sure City's build quality can be questioned as the damage is extensive as compared to Dzire.
aaggoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 17:29   #10529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The stretch between Udupi and Mangalore is a sure-shot recipe for disaster.
These Express buses that ply between Mangalore and Udupi and often till Kundapura are driven worse They are often drive ~80 km/hr, have no regard for lane discipline and have the guts to overtake when there are trucks in the opposite lane within sniffing distance. I mean, even the KSRTC Volvos don't mess around with these folks. And less said the better about the condition of these buses.
RIP to the deceased.
Your observations are quite true. The road is under 4laning and the work going on where there are many deviations make it all the more dangerous.
And on completed sections there are many who drive through the wrong lane (in opposite direction)
Those Expresses literally fly through the deviations posing grave danger to other motorists.I did that route last week and saw many rule violators.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:07   #10530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The rear ends are made stiffer than front. The front end of modern cars are delibearately made to absorb impact. Hence when Dzire rear ended City, the front of Swift Dzire was to absorb a lot of impact and crush itself.

Here, even the cabin of City is crushed, i.e. cabin integrity is compromised, which is not supposed to be the case.

There are many images where in the rear ending car damages its front more than the car that was rear ended.
Here, for sure City's build quality can be questioned as the damage is extensive as compared to Dzire.
Given the state of the City's rear, could it be possible that it was doing a negligible speed?

In this rear-ending, looks like there was a HUGE amount of energy transfer due to a big diff. in speeds and hence, it's in such a state.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks