Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:39   #18016
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here are couple of more pics. As per the update in facebook, the car was over speeding and lost control.
This tragic accident involved a very dear colleague of mine - he passed away as a result of his injuries (a metal piece pierced his head) in hospital a few hours after the accident. He was a wonderful human being in his late forties.He leaves behind his wife, 2 children and his aged parents.
The accident happened near the bypass junction on the Coimbatore Pollachi road. I saw the vehicles (an Amaze and a bus) later that day - he was on his way to the office in the morning. From the look of it, he swerved from the path of the oncoming bus a moment too late and took the brunt of the impact on his side at an angle. (Just my feeling that the A pillar took the hit and collapsed)
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:35   #18017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
This tragic accident involved a very dear colleague of mine - he passed away
Oops.... Losing a known person is really painful. Pray god that the family gets strength to go over this difficult time.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:29   #18018
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I saw a small accident happening right in front of my eyes. I passed just 3 ft from his hands as he hit the road. He was getting up when I watched from the side mirror. This was in Kadur, I think.

Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:43   #18019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I saw a small accident happening right in front of my eyes. I passed just 3 ft from his hands as he hit the road. He was getting up when I watched from the side mirror. This was in Kadur, I think.
Lucky, he didn't fall in front of your car.
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:04   #18020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Whoa! If the road has pedestrians, two wheelers etc.. then your speeds have to be within controllable limits. Its easy to avoid a dog when you are doing something like 80 kph. I recommended sticking to the left lane on those fast four laned highways. The left lane actually is the driving lane. THe right lane is only meant for overtaking. Those slow truckers that stick to the centre lane end up forcing motorist to overtake from the left creating dangerous moments.

If there are three lanes, then the left and the middle lanes are driving lanes. The rightmost lane is always the overtaking lane.
completelyl with what you said. Unexpecting pedestrians and bikers are the most dangerous on highways. You cant guess or judge their movements anytime. I have myself experienced, that when you horn to tell them not to cross they tend to try crossing running , dont understand the logic. Then you have to deal with these new to biking and wannabe Rossi's on the road with absolutely no knowledge of when to drive how with girls behind them. I recently saved myself with a guy not banging my car in one way and if he had, both would had their faces smashed against the compound wall entirely because of the overconfident riding of the guy.

But we dont see this sense of driving with people on the highway who absolutely have no driving sense. They just know to drive fast and are always wanting to overtake. Dont understand the hurry all the time. Forget the risk part of it, I have myself seen people overtake me from the left side without any horn or blinking when they had enough space to overtake from the right. The main reason I see why accidents happen is because people dont follow lane discipline at all. Even Bangaloreans are used to being on the left when they have to go right and vice versa., in the city. Specially the cab drivers are a menace on the ORR and even on highways at night, with absolutely no sense of responsibility. All they care is they have to go thats it. I deal with stupids like them on the road everyday.

All it takes is just a sense of discipline and patience to drive safe with more common sense. Thats all. Not much to ask for. All we can do is be as much careful as possible.
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:52   #18021
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

^^^ agree 100%
by far, the biggest morons are bangaloreans returning from weekend holiday on NH7 b/w krishnagiri and E-city, between 5pm and 9pm. The driving is so chaotic, I sometimes wish the road was still 2+2, instead of 3+3. Left-right-center, the cutting across is so scary and rampant, I just stick to the leftmost lane @80 and only overtake lorries by going to the middle lane. Because the surface is smooth and banked well in the corners, the speeds are maniacal (easily 130s 140s, because they look like going "normal speeds" when I am doing 80) & the scale of overconfidence is shocking.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 22:55   #18022
BHPian

This video showed up on my Facebook feed. Looks like the lady dropped her purse on the road and came back to pick it up. Unfortunately she ends up in front of a speeding Bolero. Don't know if she survived the hit.
Old 22nd June 2015, 23:38   #18023
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this was posted but thats some serious lack of safety and the site manager should be held responsible for not overseeing these activities.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/15061...ls-techie-road
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:14   #18024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
^^^ agree 100%
by far, the biggest morons are bangaloreans returning from weekend holiday on NH7 b/w krishnagiri and E-city, between 5pm and 9pm. The driving is so chaotic, I sometimes wish the road was still 2+2, instead of 3+3. Left-right-center, the cutting across is so scary and rampant, I just stick to the leftmost lane @80 and only overtake lorries by going to the middle lane. Because the surface is smooth and banked well in the corners, the speeds are maniacal (easily 130s 140s, because they look like going "normal speeds" when I am doing 80) & the scale of overconfidence is shocking.
More the lanes we have, more is the scope for cris crossing that can be dangerous. First of all we should have the heavy vehicles commuting only on the left. But in reality they occupy all the 3 lanes. End result is the cris crossing that we see in this stretch.
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:51   #18025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
This video showed up on my Facebook feed. Looks like the lady dropped her purse on the road and came back to pick it up. Unfortunately she ends up in front of a speeding Bolero. Don't know if she survived the hit.

2 Things:
Firstly, the lady just made a mad dash after picking up the purse or whatever it is on the road
Secondly, the lady was looking at the WRONG direction while running back

Maybe there were valuables / other things that she did not want to get crushed by the purse getting under wheels of a vehicle, but by the looks of the accident, I am sure even in best cases, she would have ended with a multiple fracture in her left leg and also a bad injury to the head / neck as she bounced off the bonnet.
I only hope the injuries were not fatal.
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:15   #18026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
I only hope the injuries were not fatal.
In the unfortunate event that they are, I hope the driver of the Bolero isn't booked for causing death by negligence. Is that footage from a traffic camera? If so, it should be evidence enough that the lady tried her best to commit suicide.
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:50   #18027
Senior - BHPian

^^^I believe the Bolero driver could have avoided that hit, given that it is broad daylight (good visibility from far away). Not getting into whether he is responsible or not, but from the limited view we have of the incident, he could've avoided that incident.
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:01   #18028
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^I believe the Bolero driver could have avoided that hit, given that it is broad daylight (good visibility from far away). Not getting into whether he is responsible or not, but from the limited view we have of the incident, he could've avoided that incident.
The footage does seem to suggest he slammed on the brakes, but didn't manage to avoid the woman or stop in time. Given the undivided nature of the carriageway one can't really expect him to swerve right, he may very well have killed himself trying to save the woman.

The woman also let the previous car pass, so the Bolero driver may have 'assumed' she won't jump onto the road. Bad driving to not anticipate pedestrian behavior, but the accident is still the woman's fault. She walked onto a fast-moving carriageway, then doesn't bother to look up at oncoming traffic once she's collected her object. Recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd June 2015 at 16:04.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:06   #18029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
It looks like a high speed stretch with no intersections etc... So motorists possibly would not expect somebody in the middle of the road. Looks like the Bolero driver was speeding and saw the woman very late. In fact you can see him trying to brake even as the woman was picking up the purse and turned around. From that speed he was simply unable to slow down enough and control the vehicle.

Also when you see someone walking across the road, you expect them to cross the road and the driver tends to make mental calculations of the relative speed of his vehicle and the pedestrian crossing the road. It looks like the Bolero driver did not expect her come back to the same side of the road. That lady too never bothered to look in the oncoming vehicle direction before turning around.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:24   #18030
Senior - BHPian

The jaywalker is at fault for sure .

But I will put the blame on the the Bolero driver also here ! Like most drivers on our roads who " assume" and flash their headlights or honk continously instead of slowing down , this guy also braked at the last minute. This driver could have slowed down from far if he hadnt been speeding .

With those bullbars at the front and the sharp edges on the Bolero , even if she had survived this hit , it wouldnt be without serious injuries .
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks