Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 13:30   #11341
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

another accident on the BETL; happened this morning. looks like a two wheeler was involved; saw them hauling a bike on to the tow vehicle. this was after the lay bye when heading towards ECity:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_6753.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_mg_6754.jpg
Old 11th June 2012, 22:38   #11342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The vehicle in the last picture - is that is the one that collided with the Bolero? If yes, (at least from this angle), the Trax seems to have taken very little damage. On the other hand, never seen a Bolero in such a bad shape. The toppling must have cause the the twisting. Genuinely doubt, if the front seat people in the Bolero survived. May the departed RIP.
Yes that is the vehicle which collided with the bolero. And 4 out of the 5 people in bolero, died on the spot. The 5th guy (who was the driver of bolero) was struggling for the survival at the hospital. I am not sure what happened to him later.

The trax and the lorry suffered minor damage But the bolero was gone completely
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-siddapur_1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-siddapur_3.jpg  

n_naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 23:10   #11343
Senior - BHPian

Spotted an accident earlier today evening, just after the exit gate of Infopark Cochin (towards Rajagiri side). A blue Punto (2012 model, probably only a month or two old) was taking a u-turn just outside the gate when a white Swift came out of the gates. This is an area where people coming out of the Infopark generally drive fast, so I guess the Swift wasn't slow by any means. The Punto was driven by a lady learning to drive and probably wanted to complete the turn asap. Anyway neither braked until it was too late and the Punto grazed the front bumper of the Swift. And then I guess, the lady driver of the Punto was in panic and pressed the accelerator instead of the brake and hit the pavement. The Punto's left front wheel climbed over the foot-high pavement, while the right front wheel thankfully stayed on the road. I said thankfully because if the right wheel had also scaled the pavement, the Punto was looking at a 10-15 feet drop through some exposed steel bars used for the pavement construction.

No one in either car was hurt in the incident.

A few locals were already helping the people in the Punto when I arrived. They helped to get the Punto off the pavement. I thought the Punto would've suffered some engine/suspension damage. But to my surprise, the Punto started without complaint and was driven off the pavement. Both wheels of the Punto were also steering in the same direction There was some fluid leak, so I guess the Punto's radiator has taken a hit.

The owners were then arguing about who pays for what. I didn't witness the incident, but based on what the others said, I think it's probably more of the fault of the Punto owner. Ideally the Punto should've waited for the Swift to pass. The Swift guy on his part could also have slowed down a bit earlier. The Swift guy totally blew his "advantage" by taking a hard stand and even telling the locals not to interfere and trying to take them on as well (verbally, but no foul language). With the result that when a police jeep passed the scene, locals were complaining to the police about how cars "generally" come at high speed out of the Infopark, indirectly blaming the Swift guy. I don't know how the owners finally settled it, but I saw them exchanging mobile no:s and agreeing to meet the next day.

I guess a big speed-breaker will soon come up at the gate of the Infopark.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:59   #11344
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Alto couple of days back on a highway,Newbie Driver probably couldn't brake and rear ended a truck. Car has "L" markings.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-photo0148.jpg  

Old 12th June 2012, 07:20   #11345
Senior - BHPian

Heard on news just now that a sand truck tried to drive through a police barricade in New Delhi and killed a constable.

I don't know about New Delhi cops, but our Bangalore cops always try to stop overspeeding vehicles by jumping right in front of them and expect the vehicles to stop magically.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:42   #11346
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle whether coming out of a gate or coming from a side/smaller/service road and joining a main road has to yield way to a vehicle that is already on the main road.

The Swift should have come to a full stop(or at least slowed down) at the gates taken a look at the traffic and proceeded accordingly.

The speed breaker should come up on the campus road just prior to/ on the gate itself rather than on the main road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Spotted an accident earlier today evening, just after the exit gate of Infopark Cochin (towards Rajagiri side). A blue Punto (2012 model, probably only a month or two old) was taking a u-turn just outside the gate when a white Swift came out of the gates. This is an area where people coming out of the Infopark generally drive fast, so I guess the Swift wasn't slow by any means....

I didn't witness the incident, but based on what the others said, I think it's probably more of the fault of the Punto owner. Ideally the Punto should've waited for the Swift to pass. The Swift guy on his part could also have slowed down a bit earlier.

This accident took place in Faridabad, very close to the HR/DL border. The driver and the owner of the truck, both have been arrested (after they had managed to drive in to Delhi, where they hit yet another vehicle) and booked for murder. The truck barreled through a police barricade and hit the PCR van parked alongside the road. Constable Mahavir Singh sitting on the van was thrown off and crushed under the truck's wheels. May the departed soul RIP.

The practice of cops hiding in the bushes especially on blind curves and jumping in front used to be pretty common a decade ago. Delhi Police then stopped this dangerous practice after quite a few police personnel and motorists lost their lives due to this stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Heard on news just now that a sand truck tried to drive through a police barricade in New Delhi and killed a constable.

I don't know about New Delhi cops, but our Bangalore cops always try to stop overspeeding vehicles by jumping right in front of them and expect the vehicles to stop magically.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:05   #11347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The vehicle whether coming out of a gate or coming from a side/smaller/service road and joining a main road has to yield way to a vehicle that is already on the main road.

The Swift should have come to a full stop(or at least slowed down) at the gates taken a look at the traffic and proceeded accordingly.

The speed breaker should come up on the campus road just prior to/ on the gate itself rather than on the main road.
I think I didn't give an accurate description of the road in the earlier post. The road the Swift was on is a dedicated 4-lane road to the Infopark and it is the main road. The presence of the gate is not important here, the gate is not manned and is always left open. The dedicated (main) road continues beyond the gate into the Infopark. What the Punto was doing, in effect, is something similar to making a U-turn on the highway.

Agree that the speed-breaker should come up inside the gate. I am sure it will come up in some time. The other gate of the Infopark already has a big one.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:43   #11348
BHPian

A rickshaw driver and a person in car had a close shave when a tree fell on their vehicles near Kadri Park, Mangalore on Tuesday June 12.

Mangalore: Close Shave for Two as Tree Falls on Car, Rickshaw

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tree1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tree2.jpg

A pedestrian died in a ghastly accident at nearby Koppalangady, Kaup on national highway 66 on Tuesday June 12.

Udupi: Scorpio Runs Over Pedestrian on NH 66

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sc1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sc2.jpg
Old 13th June 2012, 11:26   #11349
BHPian

Eighteen passengers were injured in an accident involving multiple vehicles near the Gopalakrishna temple, Kanipura – Kumbla, on national highway, on Tuesday June 12.

Kasargod: Road Mishap Involving Multiple Vehicles Injures 18
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mel_130612_kumbla1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mel_130612_kumbla2.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mel_130612_kumbla3.jpg  

Old 13th June 2012, 11:41   #11350
Senior - BHPian

GOSH! The report says an Omni collided head on with the Scorpio. It is actually a winger which looks like an Omni now. the Scorpio took the front impact well but seems to have taken quite a serious side impact. Even the Swift. Seems like the Scorpio skidded and hit a tree or something sideways. Nothing much has been said about how the accident happened.

Look at the rear door of Scorpio and Swift. One has bent like cardboard whereas the other has folded like tin foil. Needless to say, the Winger has got nil frontal impact protection.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 13th June 2012 at 11:43.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:11   #11351
BHPian

From the looks of it the Winger seems to have T-boned the Scorpio. It seems to be raining so a possible scenario can be:

Assuming its a single lane road (looks like), the road is wet and scorpio either in order to avoid something or some one looses control and skids. The tail steps out and the winger from the opposite side hits the scorpio side on. Scorpio is extremely lucky not to flip over. The impact on the left side of the scorpio and a impact size similar to the front of the winger makes me think this. If this would have been a head on then winger would have been in a very bad shape and probably there could have been fatalities. Swift following the winger is too close to brake in time and skids off the road hits a pole and come to a halt. Extremely lucky that none of these cars took down a pedestrian or a bystander.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:20   #11352
Distinguished - BHPian

Etios bearing signs of a rollover accident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20120612-07.26.19.jpg
Old 14th June 2012, 15:56   #11353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
another accident on the BETL; happened this morning. looks like a two wheeler was involved; saw them hauling a bike on to the tow vehicle. this was after the lay bye when heading towards ECity
Don't know if the two-wheeler was involved in the accident, but a few meters ahead of the accident site, i saw a Santro which was being driven slowly with it's parking lights on and its rear bumper was missing. Not sure of the exact turn of events but have a feeling the Santro was involved too.

Moreover, when i was passing by the Figo, i saw a traffic cop standing there and noting down some details but i couldn't see the traffic cop's white pulsar or jeep. Just wondering how did he land up there?
Old 14th June 2012, 17:00   #11354
BHPian

Two lorries belonging to ONGC were involved in an accident that occured near Bajpe here on Thursday June 14. The accident occured at around 6.15 am near a petrol bunk at a circle that joins Bapje road with Airport road. They dashed into each other when one driver tried to overtake the other.

Mangalore: ONGC Lorries Collide While Overtaking Near Bajpe
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-acc2.jpg  

Old 14th June 2012, 22:53   #11355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo
Two lorries belonging to ONGC were involved in an accident that occured near Bajpe here on Thursday June 14. The accident occured at around 6.15 am near a petrol bunk at a circle that joins Bapje road with Airport road. They dashed into each other when one driver tried to overtake the other.

Mangalore: ONGC Lorries Collide While Overtaking Near Bajpe
Just last month while coming to the airport from Manipal,i saw the way the lorries and tankers were being driven around on the airport road.As it is the road is very narrow and these jokers were driving like maniacs.One lorry fellow went nearly off road to overtake my taxi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks