Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 17:53   #13546
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I know former CM BS Yeddyurappa using a CRV as official vehicle when he was CM. Could be that vehicle. I don't think any other KA politician uses a CRV.
Find enclosed BSY's CRV which he used while he was the CM . it looks like the number doesn't match
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bsy_crv.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2013, 18:17   #13547
BHPian

Was coming back from Mangalore to Bangalore on 30th June and saw this in the sakleshpur ghat section. The DVD player and TV were stolen. No casualties i guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img253.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img251.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2013, 18:26   #13548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
It's not a government vehicle. It has a political party symbol on its number plate.
No government vehicle can have any political party symbol anywhere on vehicle.
It must be a private vehicle of some politician like MLA/MP (has a vip number too).
On the Green Bar on the top of the plates it was written - Government of Karnataka.
Although just now I zoomed and saw that it has the BJP Party Symbol (Lotus).

Quite contradictory. Can a party symbol co-exist with Govt of Karnataka on a common space like the number plate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Find enclosed BSY's CRV which he used while he was the CM . it looks like the number doesn't match
Ohh Gaaawd. BSY's car's number plate is heavily Illegal. I guess he is not aware of the rule that number plates should be only in English and Numbers. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 2nd July 2013 at 18:29.
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:40   #13549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
On the Green Bar on the top of the plates it was written - Government of Karnataka.
Quite contradictory. Can a party symbol co-exist with Govt of Karnataka on a common space like the number plate ?
AFAIK, the car is just dressed up as a government car. If it was indeed a government car, it would be under the G series RTO registration. Here it is not. Hence I think it is of a BJP party member who has purposefully and/illegally put the green bar over the number plate. BSYs CRV is a proper govt. vehicle registered under G series and also it does not have a party name.
Old 2nd July 2013, 23:55   #13550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
AFAIK, the car is just dressed up as a government car. If it was indeed a government car, it would be under the G series RTO registration. Here it is not. Hence I think it is of a BJP party member who has purposefully and/illegally put the green bar over the number plate. BSYs CRV is a proper govt. vehicle registered under G series and also it does not have a party name.
That makes sense. You are right. Govt vehicles have G series, whereas this one doesn't have one. So quite likely that its' a personal car / party car, with illegal green bar and Govt. of Karnataka mentioned, along with the BJP party symbol.
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:07   #13551
BHPian

Why are people thinking that a car fitted with ABS will not crash ?

ABS fitted car will also aquaplane. ABS cannot stop your car from aquaplaning. A car aquaplaning completely has lost control.

ABS just makes it possible to move the steering under full braking pressure.
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:24   #13552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
Why are people thinking that a car fitted with ABS will not crash ?

ABS fitted car will also aquaplane. ABS cannot stop your car from aquaplaning. A car aquaplaning completely has lost control.

ABS just makes it possible to move the steering under full braking pressure.
Slight correction there.Abs allows you to steer under full braking pressure.
You can move the steering wheel all you want without abs too.
Old 3rd July 2013, 00:58   #13553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Slight correction there.Abs allows you to steer under full braking pressure.
You can move the steering wheel all you want without abs too.
Rightly said Mayank,

Also, in this particular case, IMO, it would have surely made a difference if he had ABS (based on what was explained earlier). It gives severability on wet surface at the cost of slightly longer braking distance. The driver realized that the diversion bit later and must have stomped on brakes to cause the skid, there are hardly few, experienced folks who may try to pump the brake in such panic situation.

Also agree, that cars in India must have ABS/EBD for all models; airbags can complement security features like seat belts that prevents further damages after the accidents happen, while I look at ABS as a measure that can altogether help you avoid collision.
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:34   #13554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post

Rightly said Mayank,

Also, in this particular case, IMO, it would have surely made a difference if he had ABS (based on what was explained earlier). It gives severability on wet surface at the cost of slightly longer braking distance. The driver realized that the diversion bit later and must have stomped on brakes to cause the skid, there are hardly few, experienced folks who may try to pump the brake in such panic situation.

Also agree, that cars in India must have ABS/EBD for all models; airbags can complement security features like seat belts that prevents further damages after the accidents happen, while I look at ABS as a measure that can altogether help you avoid collision.
Ill agree with supercars on this one though. If he aquaplaned, nothing would have helped. You're basically a floating steel cube when you aquaplane. No acronym on a car can help you till the tyres hit terra firma again.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:25   #13555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Indian govt. should make ABS,EBD & airbags mandatory like they did in the US.
And not only that, they should also give minor tax-concessions to those vehicles who have these safety features to make those vehicles affordable.
Currently the taxes on the vehicles are so high that owning the low end model of most of the vehicles itself is a luxury for many people. And hence they end up avoiding the higher end models with ABS and airbags.
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:12   #13556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ill agree with supercars on this one though. If he aquaplaned, nothing would have helped. You're basically a floating steel cube when you aquaplane. No acronym on a car can help you till the tyres hit terra firma again.
That's what I have been wondering, I was behind this guy, considerably faster than him, obviously have balder tires than his, had to brake hard seeing him crashing, and still did not aquaplane. So probably having ABS would have helped him in the situation. I totally agree that ABS would not prevent aquaplaning in any way and that's what amused me, because I thought the particular model had ABS as standard (the doubt was cleared later, apparently Micra diesel comes with airbags but no ABS). My concern was that had ABS failed on a brand new car.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:26   #13557
BHPian

Here is one good video on when you need ABS and when you dont.

n_naik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 11:33   #13558
Senior - BHPian

Now, how is that for an ABS demo! Taken from FB!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-abs.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 13:37   #13559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Now, how is that for an ABS demo! Taken from FB!
I see the one with ABS off managing to stay in straight path as compared to the ABS on one, which has deviated from the path. Moreover, the former is lagging behind as compared to the latter because of better feet IMO .

Last edited by CARDEEP : 5th July 2013 at 13:42.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 21:15   #13560
BHPian

Saw this Octavia being towed to Delhi from Gurgaon.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_000446.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks