Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 18:08   #13621
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Dont know what this dude banged into as there was no other car in sight.
Looking at the last picture, I think the front passenger's head had a very bad impact with the front windshield.
Had the passenger strapped on the seat-belts, he/she could have avoided head injuries.

When are we going to realize the importance of seat-belts ?
Old 17th July 2013, 19:00   #13622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Looking at the last picture, I think the front passenger's head had a very bad impact with the front windshield.
Had the passenger strapped on the seat-belts, he/she could have avoided head injuries.

When are we going to realize the importance of seat-belts ?
Seat Belts are important. But going by the way people drive these days, even seat belts aren't going to be enough.

What is needed is for people to respect the laws of the land while driving with a pinch of common sense. You get people to drive properly and lot of the incidents will not even happen. Prevention is better than cure. In this sense, seat belts are the cure and Sane-driving is the prevention part.
Old 17th July 2013, 20:23   #13623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Sorry was busy in helping the girl, no pics.
Sorry? Boss, be proud of doing that! There's a whole bunch of people busy capturing pictures/videos instead of helping a victim.
kiku007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 06:37   #13624
BHPian

Dont know if you guys saw this in yesterdays Times-

Hyderabad: A top honcho of Pennar Industries and his driver suffered injuries when their car crashed into the median on the Outer Ring Road (ORR) at Rajendranagar on Tuesday morning.The highend car,Nissan Teana,split into two under the impact of the high-speed crash.
Around 7.45am,Pennar Industries vice-chairman Aditya N Rao started from his house at Kondapur and headed towards RGI Airport at Shamshabad along the ORR.His driver Venkateswar Reddy was at the wheel.
As their car (AP 09 CA 1112) reached Himayathsagar area on the ORR,the driver noticed that there was water logging in the middle of the stretch and,to avoid the puddle,he swerved the vehicle to the extreme right.Due to the sudden maneuver at a high speed,the driver lost control over the wheel and hit the road divider, Rajendranagar sub-inspector (SI) K Kanakaiah said.Right ahead of the spot where the vehicle hit the divider was a bridge.
After hitting the road divider,the vehicle flew into the air and crashed into the railing and side wall of the bridge.
Due to the high-speed impact,the vehicle split into two.The front portion where the driver and the passenger were sitting landed on the left side of the median,while the rear part of the car fell on the other side, the SI said.
As both the driver and the passenger were wearing seat belts and the air bags opened,they escaped with just injuries.Reddy was discharged after first-aid at a nearby hospital,while Aditya,who suffered fracture on the left ribs,has been rushed to a corporate hospital and his condition is said to be out of danger.
Police have registered a case under section 338 (Causing injuries due to rash or negligent act) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc0041800.jpg  

Old 18th July 2013, 09:47   #13625
Team-BHP Support

Two pieces? It looks like the front sub-assembly ripped out!
Old 18th July 2013, 10:02   #13626
BHPian

Quote:
As both the driver and the passenger were wearing seat belts and the air bags opened,they escaped with just injuries.Reddy was discharged after first-aid at a nearby hospital,while Aditya,who suffered fracture on the left ribs,has been rushed to a corporate hospital and his condition is said to be out of danger.
Police have registered a case under section 338 (Causing injuries due to rash or negligent act) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the driver.
It's a wonder these guys survived the accident. The credit must go to two facts I think. The sit-belt usage and the Airbags deployment. Else, this sure would have been a tragic disaster. I think Teana has side curtain bags also which must have prevented sideways impact. The driver probably got the brunt because of the steering wheel impact. Thank god both riders are safe.
yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 11:43   #13627
Senior - BHPian

Mount Carmel College professor’s car knocks down 3 students at gate - Apparently pressed accelerator instead of brake in a crowded campus.
Quote:
Professor Charmaine Jerome told police that she was taken unawares by the sudden movement of a vehicle behind her Santro and, in the shock, ended up pressing the accelerator, sending the four-wheeler lunging forward. The car swerved to the right, hit the three girls and rammed a wall before stopping.
Quote:
The professor has been booked under Section 337 of IPC for causing hurt by committing an act endangering life or personal safety of others and under Section 279 of IPC for rash driving on a public way.
Old 18th July 2013, 14:18   #13628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The tragic thing about the Land Rover accident is that the driver is not in custody till now since he is absconding. As per eyewitness account he was driving under influence. Depending on when he is arrested I am not sure if he will be charged for that since for supporting that claim his blood test results should be produced in court. The accident occurred on Monday night.

Another interesting thing is there are already criminal cases pending against this so called politician
Hindu news article
Update from Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook Page.

Dear Friends,

The accident occurred around 10.30pm in Channakeshavanagar, close to the Hosur Road-Parappana Agrahara Road junction on 15/7/2013 by the SUV driver, C Krishnappa alias Bar Krishnappa, 55, has surrendered before CJM Bangalore rural and he has ben remanded to judicial custody till 27/7/2013. We will ask for his body warrant and the investigation of this accident will be investigated.

BTP is quite reachable when it comes to update/follow ups and complaints on their Facebook page.
Old 18th July 2013, 15:34   #13629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Mistake was made by the Indica, the girl's reaction of panicking and slipping is normal human behaviour.
If a bus is stopped and there is space enough for the car to overtake from the left, the bus is in the middle lane/right lane? I would say the Indica driver needed to think about why the bus had stopped, before deciding to overtake from left. And, overtaking from the left is illegal as well - for precisely this reason. You normally don't get a good view of whats ahead of the vehicle to your right.

If anyone has driven in Europe/US/Canada, where people do stop to let others go (like the bus has done), they also teach you that you do this only when you can be sure that there is nobody else on the road who will potentially cause an accident by not following your lead in letting the other person through.
I understand the Indica was at fault.

However please also note, there is no footpath, no marked crossing at the spot where the girl was trying to cross the road. Essentially my gut feel was that the girl simply should not have been in that place.

Honestly - I will not cross a road like that. In the end, such accidents are a combination of bad choices made by most people involved and bad luck as well. I somehow feel the girl still got away relatively less harmed. The accident could have been much worse.

Hope she learns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Sorry? Boss, be proud of doing that! There's a whole bunch of people busy capturing pictures/videos instead of helping a victim.
Yeah, there were quite a few shutterbugs out there but they mysteriously went away when I asked them to help her to the hospital.
Old 18th July 2013, 17:01   #13630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear007 View Post
It's a wonder these guys survived the accident. The credit must go to two facts I think. The sit-belt usage and the Airbags deployment. Else, this sure would have been a tragic disaster. I think Teana has side curtain bags also which must have prevented sideways impact. The driver probably got the brunt because of the steering wheel impact. Thank god both riders are safe.

The driver even bears the brunt of the accident after he came out from the hospital...in the eyes of the law-

Police have registered a case under section 338 (Causing injuries due to rash or negligent act) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the driver
Old 18th July 2013, 19:37   #13631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The driver even bears the brunt of the accident after he came out from the hospital...in the eyes of the law-

Police have registered a case under section 338 (Causing injuries due to rash or negligent act) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against the driver
Standard operating procedure in India. I speak from personal experience.

Long long time ago, while driving alone, I lost control of the car and hit a tree. I paid a Rs.900 fine for a similar charge laid on me!!

If an accident case is registered, then there must be somebody convicted of something! This is the only way a case can be closed, apparently.
Old 18th July 2013, 20:14   #13632
BHPian

Quote:
Standard operating procedure in India. I speak from personal experience.

Long long time ago, while driving alone, I lost control of the car and hit a tree. I paid a Rs.900 fine for a similar charge laid on me!!

If an accident case is registered, then there must be somebody convicted of something! This is the only way a case can be closed, apparently.

HA HA in the report there must have had to write -Rash and negligent driving causing injuries to a tree.
Old 19th July 2013, 00:03   #13633
BHPian

Quote:

Seven months back I had a major accident; I lost control of my car, rolled over & fell in a paddy field. I didn't hit anyone; no third party was injured.For insurance purpose, I lodged a GD in the nearest police station. Does this amount to registering an accident in a PS? I claimed insurance, got my car repaired and thought the accident chapter is closed from legal perspective. As there has been no 'conviction', is there any possibility that my accident case in still open in the police diaries? Can a miscreant get hold of that diary in future and claim any compensation due to the accident?
Old 19th July 2013, 11:33   #13634
Senior - BHPian

Sinkhole swallows car in Bangalore

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20130719ab002100005.jpg
Old 19th July 2013, 12:20   #13635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The tragic thing about the Land Rover accident is that the driver is not in custody till now since he is absconding. As per eyewitness account he was driving under influence. Depending on when he is arrested I am not sure if he will be charged for that since for supporting that claim his blood test results should be produced in court.
The ToI article says: "Police officers had in private admitted that Krishnappa was delaying his arrest to make it impossible for it to be medically determined whether he was drunk or not at the time of the accident."

I think a good revision of the law would be to assign automatic culpability if the vehicle driver (and occupants) absconds from the accident location. Also, blood test needn't be the only way to determine drunkenness. If it can be proven that the driver was present at a location where alcohol was served (bar, party etc.) N hours prior to the accident (N to be determined) then the onus needs to be on the driver to prove (s)he wasn't DUI (say, by insisting on a blood test within stipulated time). This drunken driving madness has gone too far - spot checks don't solve the entire problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks