Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2016, 13:22   #21526
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Hey guys, in this incident did the two wheeler guy survive? I did not find this information any where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't know; only saw what is on the thread.

It certainly looked bad though. And that makes it bad for the car driver too.
As per the report, the bloke on the scooter survived. I'm happy for the car driver. He would have been in terrible mental trauma for no fault of his if it had turned out otherwise.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:17   #21527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu
Good point. Where do you wait before the turn, middle of the road or on the extreme left?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz
Personally, on such a narrow road, with fast moving traffic both ways, I always stop on the left, as far left as possible, and then only make the turn when both ways is free. I would also strongly suggest everyone to do the same.
Logically, you need to be at the centre of the road (on your side) with blinkers on. Look out for oncoming traffic and take the right turn.

Being at extreme left means you need to deal with both traffic from behind you and also from oncoming side. A little ahead of where you intend to turn right, one needs to move to the centre with blinkers on while looking out for vehicles coming from behind you.

That's theory. But given our roads, the speeds and most folks not knowing/following traffic rules, focus should be on avoiding getting hurt / killed.
Old 19th August 2016, 14:27   #21528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The news mentions that the bus was plying between Chengannur and Sabarimala, so it's more likely to an Ashok Leyland 12M SLF, rather than a Tata Marcopolo. Either way, it could be a quality issue with the fixing and mounting of the particular panel, or, a more plausible reason, the tyre burst could've caused an extremely high force to be applied there, causing the panel to give way and cause injury.
Was the coach build at one of the coach building factories? If yes, there is a possibility that the coach builders might have messed up or cut corners.
Old 19th August 2016, 16:06   #21529
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just look at the state of this car! All 5 youngsters onboard are dead.

Source & Article
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hondacityaccident.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 16:26   #21530
Senior - BHPian

today afternoon on the ORR, a Tata Manza turned turtle on the median, and was sitting facing the oncoming traffic. Passed by the area minutes after the crash, the bodyshell was intact and the driver was unhurt but dazed. Surprised to see no significant damage to the car except it was upside down. Wonderful driving as usual exhibited on the ORR.
Old 20th August 2016, 20:35   #21531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
As per the report, the bloke on the scooter survived. I'm happy for the car driver. He would have been in terrible mental trauma for no fault of his if it had turned out otherwise.
No fault of his? I am glad the scooterist survived but the car owner shared some blame as well. He was going far too fast on single lane road in a business sort of neighbourhood. There is a cafe or a restaurant right across from the accident spot. What if an animal or a child had jumped in front of him?

Technically it is the fault of the scooter for impeding the right of way but in real life Indian conditions, one must drive with caution and slow down if there is another vehicle in the way. If you compare the speed of the vehicles that passed before to the speed of the car involved in the accident, you will realise that the car in question was much faster.
Old 20th August 2016, 21:01   #21532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A similar Honda City accident had taken place in Nagpur during August 2014, with youngsters having fun at the wheel after they had a gala dinner on NH 6 in the city's outskirts. The car swerved at 100 kmph plus after entering the city and rammed into a roadside tree. One front seat passenger was thrown inside the compound of a house.

The accident occurred at midnight and all the three but one girl in the backseat, were killed.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2656.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2654.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2660.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dscn2655.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2016 at 17:34. Reason: As requested
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 21:07   #21533
BANNED

Quote:
The marks on the tree are quite high! Did it hit the tree at such heights? What would have made a car go that high?
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 22:55   #21534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A similar Honda City accident had taken place in Nagpur during August 2014, with youngsters having fun at the wheel after they had a gala dinner on NH 6 in the city's outskirts.
Ouch!! Im in love with with this
car. It's my favourite. So sad to see one in this shape. :( I'm wondering, on a car with so sweet dynamic handling, offering such good control, someone has to be real dumb to have to get it into this shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
The marks on the tree are quite high! Did it hit the tree at such heights? What would have made a car go that high?
If you read the attached article it says, and I quote: "crashing into a barrier on the left, which caused the car to flip high in the air before it went crashing into a tree." Seems to have been a rather high-momentum scenario.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 07:16   #21535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Newspaper reports suggest the car hit a smaller tree first, uprooting it, and then using this uprooted tree it climbed up the bigger tree, hung from there and then fell on its roof.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 12:38   #21536
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
youngsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
youngsters
All of us have done stupid things in our teenage years. I'm just glad that, when we were young, all we could get our hands on were 37 BHP Marutis, 41 BHP 137Ds and 52 BHP 118 NEs. The roads were safer & far less populated then. I'm genuinely happy that I didn't start driving on a 100+ BHP sedan.

Drive safe, kiddos. Take your time to polish your driving skills. Cars are too fast these days, and the roads full of idiots.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2016 at 11:24.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 13:00   #21537
BHPian

Quote:
All of us have done stupid things in our teenage years. I'm just glad that, when we were young, all we could get our hands on were 37 BHP Marutis, 41 BHP 137Ds and 52 BHP 118 NEs. The roads were safer & far less populated then. I'm genuinely happy that I didn't start driving on a 100+ BHP sedan.

Drive safe, kiddos. Take your time to polish your driving skills. Cars are too fast these days, and the roads full of too many idiots.
+ I am very thankful to my parents that they never ever gave the car keys to me until I got my licence and had proper training on a driving school car.

Even when I had a learners licence I was not allowed to get on the drivers seat even in the yard of my house. Something many parents of these days could do well to learn.

Last edited by Ramon : 21st August 2016 at 13:08.
Ramon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 13:02   #21538
BHPian

Yesterday night, while driving home after dinner with my wife, I was discussing with my wife about all the stuff I share on TEAMBHP. Suddenly, a Black BMW whizzed passed me at breakneck speed, and suddenly slammed the brake as the signal turned red. As I came and stood beside it, I could see some teenagers, maybe 1st-2nd year in college having their "so called" fun at the expense of a driving such a powerful vehicle. I could see they were not able to control it a low speeds, forget about high speeds, thus slamming the brakes suddenly and accelerating suddenly. It is a matter of concern and safety for the people around on the road or for other cars as well. My only question at the moment was, why we don't have any traffic system to catch these kind of reckless people, and proactively stop another such dreadful accidents.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st August 2016 at 15:42.
sourav.info111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 13:02   #21539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Short excerpt as a GIF:

Attachment 1543420

Blinded by sun? Not paying enough attention?

Newbie driver?

On the nano, I think it's squarely the nano drivers fault. First she is pre occupied with showing her ID but even after there's clear evidence that she's
VERY unskilled. The new car ribbons might reinforce that as well. She continues moving forward repeatedly even after the first impact.

On the second, on this kind of a road, I'd say move to the extreme left and then wait for road to clear on both sides. Waiting in the middle is also too dangerous for a two wheeler.

While the i20 may have been a bit faster than acceptable, the fact is at almost any acceptable speed too a collision seems imminent. And that is squarely the two wheeler driver's fault. He simply crosses at the last time without checking the oncoming traffic. I see this SO often with drivers. They jeopardize their own lives as well as those of others.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st August 2016 at 20:49. Reason: Removing video from quoted post.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 15:24   #21540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
... Suddenly, a Black BMW whizzed passed me at breakneck speed, and suddenly slammed the break as the signal turned red.
The good part: they stopped at the red signal!

Quote:
As I came and stood beside it, I could see some teenagers, maybe 1st-2nd year in college having their "so called" fun at the expense of a driving such a powerful vehicle.
I could see they were not able to control it a low speeds, forget about high speeds, thus slamming the brakes suddenly and accelerating suddenly.
Was it lack of control? Or was it what many consider to be fun driving?

And let's be honest here: How many of us keep our acceleration/braking to the gentle style that maximises fuel economy and passenger comfort but is also a little boring? Confession from granddad here: I don't!

But the idea of cars being something for youngsters to have fun in... That needs some deep thought.

Actually, some time back, I developed an aversion to going out for a drive, just for fun. A feeling that completely unnecessary journeys were, somehow, inviting trouble. But this is a motor enthusiasts site, and I am not going to expect many to share my feeling. It's just a kind of superstitious thing with me.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks