Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2022, 12:14   #36526
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Some times some things are just beyond our control.

The same exact thing happened to me too, at same speeds

https://Youtu.be/L5kKnyU8mSM

I knew there wasn't anything to be done to avert the hit. I did not want to get rear ended by panic braking or swerve into other direction losing the control of the car.

Luckily my altroz did not have any damages whatsoever.
I just watched this and I am a bit surprised that when you saw the dog all you did was honk. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like you didn't brake even a little bit. Why is that? It looks to be a fairly empty road and I would at least try to shed 20-30 kmph. I've had this experience a couple of times and giving the dog an extra 2 seconds to react means they more often that not end up jumping out of the way.

Edit: Just watched this again. The entire time you're honking, your speed doesn't change at all. I really don't get why.

Last edited by karanddd : 15th October 2022 at 12:15.
karanddd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 12:19   #36527
Distinguished - BHPian

A horrific accident again on an expressway, this time on the Purvanchal corridor at Sultanpur, connecting Delhi and UP, involves a truck and a BMW. The car was tattered to smithereens and its four occupants were thrown alongside and died. The engine of the BMW was dislodged and landed at a distance. The truck has also suffered damage.

Apparently, the car involved could have been speeding and could have moved out of control. About the trucker's possible recklessness, we all know well more about it, practically. But the fact is that seeing the extent of damage caused to the car, even the proven, solid and safe German build quality cannot under such circumstances save occupants in such cases. Hence, we have got to be very careful and not take such German safety etc for granted.

It seems by now that we have made expressways to facilitate such fatal accidents. Better were rickety roads of yesteryears where one couldn't speed. We need to upgrade our defensive and disciplined driving skills commensurate with these expressways, else more and more of these could happen every other day.

https://theprint.in/india/up-four-ki...ource=inshorts

The tweet link showing more images:-

https://twitter.com/ANINewsUP/status...KQfLJ8VnA&s=19

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th October 2022 at 12:32.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 12:27   #36528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post

Edit: Just watched this again. The entire time you're honking, your speed doesn't change at all. I really don't get why.
Because I didn't want to be rear-ended by the car at my back by panic braking hard. That's why.

Moreover I definitely decelerated and even braked briefly. If you had listened closely you would have heard the tyre squeal a bit.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 15th October 2022 at 12:35.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 12:28   #36529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
If you only swerve for humans then that’s very dangerous and shows poor training, as you’re effectively saying you won’t swerve for anything else? What about obstacles/debris? What about larger animals like cows/horses/elephants that will do much more damage to you and your passengers if hit head on one without evasive action?
I thought we were talking about evasive action at high speed when someone crosses the road at the last second, where such action can cause much bigger accidents.

If you want to change all the conditions, I am out of this discussion. I rather spend time on fixing my poor training.
Samurai is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 12:40   #36530
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear @corneliu and @AJ56, Let's agree to disagree and move on. I hope, like me, you are vegetarians. You can swerve or jam the brakes for a dog and endanger humans, either in your vehicle or others, and the other cruel, unthinking, untrained, uncouth, unrepentant members of the forum can continue to avoid swerving or violently braking for dogs and protecting humans. You've made your point but the condescending over moralistic tone is rather unhelpful if trying to win converts was your aim. I am a part of the cruel thoughtless brigade who don't swerve for small animals. I also don't over analyze the actions of others, second by second, with an air of moral superiority.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th October 2022 at 12:44.
V.Narayan is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 13:08   #36531
BHPian

Follow your own methods whatever works for you. There is no real one ideal way of driving, even more so in India.

Cow, dog, Buffalo, donkey, elephant each one reacts differently on roads.

Honk, no honk, slow down, speed up, flash headlight, foot off the accelerator, foot on the accelerator etc.

If you have not hit anyone/anything you have done the right thing.
Nalin1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 19:37   #36532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Dear @corneliu and @AJ56, Let's agree to disagree and move on. I hope, like me, you are vegetarians.
I moved on from it yesterday except someone or the other keeps quoting me, so I simply respond.

I fail to see how depriving my body of essential animal derived nutrients and foods is somehow morally superior to eating non vegetarian food. Human beings are designed to eat a wide range of foods including meat and dairy, at least I don’t judge other people for their diet. Agreed to disagree.

Last edited by AJ56 : 15th October 2022 at 19:39.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 19:53   #36533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A horrific accident again on an expressway,
As per the video uploaded by the 4 people, they were doing 230 kmph before meeting with the accident.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNewInd...Cjkav82_ErAAAA
chaitanyakrish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 20:29   #36534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
As per the video uploaded by the 4 people, they were doing 230 kmph before meeting with the accident.

The video clearly shows the importance of our company while driving.

The occupants left no stone unturned in provoking the driver to hit 300 km/hr. I think the car's maximum speed was 230 km/hr, which was achieved.

'300 Maar' (hit 300) was said so many times, that I thought of muting the video.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 20:42   #36535
BHPian

Many were blaming the Truck Driver in this case, but looks the other way round. Mistakes can happen by anyone, not necessarily only by Bigger Vehicles.

They should've reduced the speed at least when one of the road was closed and the other road is made two way.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 21:29   #36536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And the human gene pool made yet another step forward. Feel bad for the trucker though.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 22:30   #36537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I moved on from it yesterday except someone or the other keeps quoting me, so I simply respond.

I fail to see how depriving my body of essential animal derived nutrients and foods is somehow morally superior to eating non vegetarian food. Human beings are designed to eat a wide range of foods including meat and dairy, at least I don’t judge other people for their diet. Agreed to disagree.
True. Also not sure what the correlation between being vegetarian and causing road kill is. Is he trying to say that vegetarians get an easy pass to commit more roadkill because their diet doesn't involve killing animals? Childish arguments being made on what we all thought is a more mature forum.

Leaving it at agreeing to disagree & dis-enganging from this discussion since it is now becoming an ego driven exercise in frivolousness.
corneliu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 22:57   #36538
BHPian

@ V.Narayan

Please use simple language in your posts. It appears people are unable to understand them.

Vegetarian : Animal loving. Will do anything to save a dog.
Non vegetarian : Cruel to animals. Will kill a dog at the drop of a hat!

I hope this is simpler.

This is the new way of topic creation in town. Prepare yourself to explain your post and statements in your posts will give birth to further discussions.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 15th October 2022 at 23:02.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 23:00   #36539
Team-BHP Support

Alright folks, let us end the topic of man vs animal conflict. Any further post on the matter will be deleted. - Support Team
Samurai is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 23:28   #36540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I haven't seen the video but judging by the comments here I get the jist. I can never understand these people. They have lived all their life in India, they know how dangerous our roads are with animals and humans both creating havoc at a drop of hat. And they still have the audacity to do 230 speed irrespective of knowing all this. Simply unfathomable
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks