Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2022, 08:46   #36571
BHPian

Re: BMW crash at 230 kms killing all 4 occupants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Recently our transport minister said you will be
able to drive from Bengaluru to Bombay in 5 hours when the new expressway is built.

Hope no one tries once it's done.
Well, this is the speed that we need to drive to make it to Bangalore in 5 hours from Bombay.

The video shows how those people sped all the way to unmentionable speeds. It doesn't show how the crash happened. The expressway seemed to be relatively empty and they were in fact driving in the fast lane. How did the Container truck reach the fast lane where they are absolutely not allowed to drive. Don't know on the Purvanchal expressway but on MPEW and Yamuna, it is not allowed.

For an accident to happen, there is rarely a single point of failure. I would like to understand all the reasons that led to this incident regardless of what those morons were doing.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th October 2022 at 12:55. Reason: Quoted post edited
antz.bin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 09:19   #36572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Well, this is the speed that we need to drive to make it to Bangalore in 5 hours from Bombay.

The video shows how those people sped all the way to unmentionable speeds. It doesn't show how the crash happened. The expressway seemed to be relatively empty and they were in fact driving in the fast lane. How did the Container truck reach the fast lane where they are absolutely not allowed to drive. Don't know on the Purvanchal expressway but on MPEW and Yamuna, it is not allowed.

For an accident to happen, there is rarely a single point of failure. I would like to understand all the reasons that led to this incident regardless of what those morons were doing.
A contributory factor seems to be opening up 'expressways' without a safety audit - checking from things as simple as lanes being painted, roadway and safety signage to speed cameras, presence of highway police, emergency vehicles.
Agreed that if you have a death wish, thy will be done. But contributory factor inviting more disasters nonetheless.
Old 17th October 2022, 09:32   #36573
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Moving on to one that I saw being cleaned up yesterday:

MSRTC Shivshahi bus encountered brake failure and crashed into 7 vehicles before screeching to a halt near Chandani Chowk, Pune. I crossed the accident spot on the other side of the highway when this was being cleaned up. Brake failure seemed to me the most likely cause to me too when I looked at the wreckage.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-shivshahibusaccidentpunemumbai.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjxld3cv..._web_copy_link

Thankfully, there are no fatalities that have been reported.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:00   #36574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
... there is a basic human instinct for survival...
This one, exactly.
The fear is what is lacking.
Fear of law, fear of losing loved ones, fear of causing hurt to others, and fear of dying.
Whenever I take to the road, I am scared (which I believe is a good thing). I am scared of breaking the rules, I am scared of hurting others, I am scared of dying on the road.
This is what keeps me and others like the fool in the video safe.
rajivr1612 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:52   #36575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
This one, exactly.
The fear is what is lacking.
Fear of law, fear of losing loved ones, fear of causing hurt to others, and fear of dying.
Whenever I take to the road, I am scared (which I believe is a good thing). I am scared of breaking the rules, I am scared of hurting others, I am scared of dying on the road.
This is what keeps me and others like the fool in the video safe.
I think what happens is when we put ourselves through the same risks continuously, our brain learns to save the adrenaline for something else.

Like I was fearful when I first drove a car. My heart was beating hard when I first drove at 100 kmph, or in my first roller coaster ride. That tingling fear slowly gave way to a process of do's and don'ts.

For some, the process is to simply delegate safety to the other driver. They assume they will always win this game of 'chicken'. Admittedly, they win a vast majority of the times.

Not this time though.
dust-n-bones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:14   #36576
Senior - BHPian

One hour journey turned into a two hour ordeal thanks to this guys balancing act blocking both North and South bound traffic at Vile Parle flyover.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cf68563267d9407491cee97a0ad758a4.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ee6925ecfcfe4a21969d14d95cdf22ed.jpeg
SnS_12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:25   #36577
BHPian

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other...91d6beb16b761b

300Kmph FB Live for speed record in BMW. Sadly this involves young people who are educated - doctor, engineer in their BMW to attain 300 kmph live. But they dint survive to see their video later.

Was the motive to attain some social media fame for few moments a priority ? What are we chasing in our lives as a nation today..

While this forum encourages defensive driving and safe practices.. I think we have a long way to go to achieve this in our society at large.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20221017-121420.jpg  

vigneshnr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:42   #36578
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post

300Kmph FB Live for speed record in BMW. Sadly this involves young people who are educated - doctor, engineer in their BMW to attain 300 kmph I think we have a long way to go to achieve this in our society at large.
Isn't it ironic that on one hand we have good luck charms and pictures of gods and goddesses in our cars for safety of the car and its occupants and on the other side display this kind of behaviour on roads.

Even these guys had one hanging from the rear view mirror.

Last edited by PGA : 17th October 2022 at 12:44.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:50   #36579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

Brake failure seemed to me the most likely cause to me too when I looked at the wreckage.

Attachment 2368913

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjxld3cv..._web_copy_link

https://Youtu.be/6X5l6gKz-V0

Thankfully, there are no fatalities that have been reported.
Unfortunately, one person is critical and others had minor injuries.

Local newspapers said the brakes were checked later and found to be working fine. The cause is stated as over-speeding and losing control of the vehicle.

This looks like another case of reckless Shivshahi bus drivers.
These buses are contracted by MSRTC to run under the 'Shivshahi' brand and the drivers are not evaluated by MSRTC. These guys don't show any accountability when driving and have caused quite a few accidents in the past, mostly related to over-speeding.

-------------------

On the BMW accident on Purvanchal highway, I wonder what kind of doctor in his 30's will do such stupid things (or encourage his friends to do such acts). The person encouraging the driver to reach 300kmph is clearly not an engineer as he had zero understanding of machines or physics in general.

Last edited by NiInJa : 17th October 2022 at 12:57.
NiInJa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:57   #36580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
My dad told me it can be a Govt Official leave it, don’t push it.
We forget that government officials are actually public servants. They are paid with our hard earned tax money, and are there to serve us. They are not our overlords, and we must start holding them accountable for their actions.
corneliu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:08   #36581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post

-------------------

On the BMW accident on Purvanchal highway, I wonder what kind of doctor in his 30's will do such stupid things (or encourage his friends to do such acts). The person encouraging the driver to reach 300kmph is clearly not an engineer as he had zero understanding of machines or physics in general.

I see a lot of Doctor/engineer statements whenever there is an accident. I think stupidity is agnostic to profession/religion/gender.

unfortunately, there is no cure unless our driver training and teaching systems are strengthened. It is too easy to get a license and too cheap to get away with rule-breaking. If speeding was fined at a slab-wise system of 1000 for 10kmph , 5000 for 20kmph, 10000 for 30kmph would knock some sense into cars.
Of course, this goes hand in hand with the revision of speed limits as 20kmp on flyover makes no sense and would choke all traffic if adhered to strictly.
In fact just an hour on my way to work I saw 2 cars try to jump what is one of the busiest signals in Hyderabad only to get stuck midway and get caught by the cops. One of them was a 320d with some political party affiliation an the uproar created by the driver was astounding. Fortunately, the brave lady police officer continued to take pictures of the offender and stood her ground.
harshaguduru is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:15   #36582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
300Kmph FB Live for speed record in BMW. Sadly this involves young people who are educated - doctor, engineer in their BMW to attain 300 kmph live. But they dint survive to see their video later.
Quote:
Dr Anand Prakash, a 35-year-old Professor at a private medical college in Rohtas was reportedly behind the wheel while one of his co-travellers can be heard egging him on to touch 300 km per hour. Ironically, he said "charo marenge (all four of us will die)" during the live stream right before encouraging the driver to speed up.

The video shows a can placed next to the driver and the person streaming the video appears to be slurring, though there's no confirmation if any of them were under the influence of alcohol. The collision was so severe that the engine of the car and all four occupants were blown away and fell at some distance, visuals from the crash site show.

The victims were in their mid-30s.
Source

Power corrupts and too much power corrupts too much. With a deadly mixture of young age, powerful machine under the leg, express road which seemed to be empty, insane co-passengers and love for boasting, the result was evident. And I am not concluding what was in that can.
NH08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:39   #36583
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, one person is critical and others had minor injuries.
That's sad. Must be the person in the white Tiago. It was quite badly mangled.

Quote:
Local newspapers said the brakes were checked later and found to be working fine. The cause is stated as over-speeding and losing control of the vehicle.

This looks like another case of reckless Shivshahi bus drivers.
These buses are contracted by MSRTC to run under the 'Shivshahi' brand and the drivers are not evaluated by MSRTC. These guys don't show any accountability when driving and have caused quite a few accidents in the past, mostly related to over-speeding.
Isn't it always overspeeding though? All Shivshahi buses have speed governor of 80kmph. How much can you overspeed with one of those active?

Anyways, this happened at the flyover next to Pashan Lake. Practically everyone drives at those speeds there. The driver either dosed off just before the curve and did not see people slowing down to get off the highway on the exit or had mechanical issues.

It's quite hard for any half-competent driver to ram into 7 cars on a gentle right hander in perfect visibility on dry pothole-free roads with no rain. Unless he wanted to do it purposely, dosed off, or faced some mechanical issues.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 13:41   #36584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
...Taking high risks, even criminals are taking high risks by flouting the law.

In other spheres of life (other than road), you will always find people like Nick Leeson, or Harshad Mehta, no different from reckless risk takers like these guys. I don’t see it as any different, but you may.
That was a market with specific rules & no matter what was done by the risk taker in the background, others knew the possibilities of their investments in the interface.

Here, other road users would reasonable expect that speed limits would by and large not be recklessly exceeded by other road users.

Anyway, let's see whatever the outcome tornado out to be.
Old 17th October 2022, 15:49   #36585
BHPian

Another genius at the wheel

Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks