Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 09:26   #36541
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I haven't seen the video but judging by the comments here I get the jist. I can never understand these people. They have lived all their life in India, they know how dangerous our roads are with animals and humans both creating havoc at a drop of hat. And they still have the audacity to do 230 speed irrespective of knowing all this. Simply unfathomable
They were streaming on FB live. There was a similar accident where a BMW rear ended a truck while live streaming. I think the current generation is trained by these apps on “sensationalism”. Anything that’s sensational, weird or quirky sells if you upload it. Also peer influence. The passengers were egging the driver to speed but ultimately the driver should have driven to conditions.

If any passenger asks me to speed I ask them to get down and get another transport if they don’t like my driving. That includes my family.
StopUnderrides is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:30   #36542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A horrific accident again on an expressway, this time on the Purvanchal corridor at Sultanpur, connecting Delhi and UP, involves a truck and a BMW. The car was tattered to smithereens and its four occupants were thrown alongside and died. The engine of the BMW was dislodged and landed at a distance. The truck has also suffered damage.

Apparently, the car involved could have been speeding and could have moved out of control. About the trucker's possible recklessness, we all know well more about it, practically. But the fact is that seeing the extent of damage caused to the car, even the proven, solid and safe German build quality cannot under such circumstances save occupants in such cases. Hence, we have got to be very careful and not take such German safety etc for granted.

It seems by now that we have made expressways to facilitate such fatal accidents. Better were rickety roads of yesteryears where one couldn't speed. We need to upgrade our defensive and disciplined driving skills commensurate with these expressways, else more and more of these could happen every other day.

https://theprint.in/india/up-four-ki...ource=inshorts

The tweet link showing more images:-

https://twitter.com/ANINewsUP/status...KQfLJ8VnA&s=19
With no disrespect for the deceased I simply don't know whether to feel sorry for these men or not. It is not as if they were 18 year olds out for a spin in Daddy's car. The driver and the passengers were full adults and knew exactly what they were doing. The tragedy is that their loss will be borne by their families - spouses, kids and parents. On a car forum I might be in a minority of one but I sincerely believe cars with engine power above 100 are not needed to haul four adults at a reasonable & practical speed. My Opel Corsa with 77 bhp could comfortably haul 4 adults and bags at 80 to 100 kmph without strain for mile after mile. Given the state of driving skills and non-existent driving training in our country, given the state of our highways, given the rule breaking that happens, as a country we are far from ready for 200 bhp cars designed for a completely different environment.
V.Narayan is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 15:10   #36543
BHPian

230 kmph .

Can't even imagine that speed on public roads!.

The driver is a dummy at that speed. The car is rolling along on its own. As good as a driverless car with ZERO control. BMWs and all other cars are driven by plenty of sane people. But looks like that 1% of morons will ruin the reputation of powerful cars.

As V.Narayan says, maybe stop absurd power and acceleration as that 1% can not only kill themselves, but many others too.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 15:32   #36544
Team-BHP Support

The BMW-truck accident appears to have happened on a stretch of expressway where one carriageway was closed due to flooding, and traffic in both directions was sharing the remaining carriageway. Given no other vehicles appear to be involved, it could very well be a case of not spotting unexpected oncoming traffic, made significantly worse by their speed affecting both time and space available to react.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th October 2022 at 15:34.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 15:45   #36545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
On a car forum I might be in a minority of one but I sincerely believe cars with engine power above 100 are not needed to haul four adults at a reasonable & practical speed. My Opel Corsa with 77 bhp could comfortably haul 4 adults and bags at 80 to 100 kmph without strain for mile after mile. Given the state of driving skills and non-existent driving training in our country, given the state of our highways, given the rule breaking that happens, as a country we are far from ready for 200 bhp cars designed for a completely different environment.
You Sir aren't in a minority. I firmly believe our cars should have a speed limiter. Like I believe there is in some Tata cars which don't go above 140km even with fully pressed accelerator. Majority of our population has blatant disregard for rules and law and the age old belief that nothing bad can ever happen to them.

My car is capable of doing 150+ but I still keep it in 80-100 bracket on empty expressways. Likewise most guys on our forum will do the same. However vast majority doesn't care about all this. That's why govt. need to impose such a law. However, won't happen unless someone prominent bears the consequence of such joy rides. Like what happened unfortunately to Cyrus Mistry led to seat belt rule for back seats passengers.
harry10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 15:50   #36546
Senior - BHPian

Youth driving fast for likes and followers seems to be an endemic these days. More depressing are the comments on the video. They have multiple video's of them doing more than 200kmph on Delhi roads. I reported the video to youtube but apparently no action has been taken yet. Hoping if more of us do, they will be deleted. I also shared it on twitter tagging Delhi Police.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 16th October 2022 at 15:52.
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 19:05   #36547
Distinguished - BHPian

People have lost it, unfortunately.

Driving at crazy speeds.

From the Truck-BMW accident, it is pretty clear that the Driver didn’t want to push the car, someone at the back warned him as well not to. But the passenger sitting on the co-driver was the one instigating the driver.

And 300kmph can’t be achieved as well

A Facebook Live where this was live streamed, for views and what was the outcome? Got some more views ehh?!

Obtain your license illegally and drive like the road belongs to you. I myself almost got sideswiped by an inattentive and careless Innova Driver. Who used no indicator or saw his ORVM while merging all the way from the left most lane to the rightmost lane in the Mum-Pune Expressway Ghat Section. And I was already there in the lane, had to slam hard on my brakes, thankfully the car at the back was some distance behind so didn’t get rear-ended.

My dad was sitting beside me on the co-driver seat and both of us had our hearts in our mouth because the guy almost ripped apart our front bumper.

My dad told me it can be a Govt Official leave it, don’t push it. Wanted to stop and give him a solid whack…
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 19:05   #36548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
On a car forum I might be in a minority of one but I sincerely believe cars with engine power above 100 are not needed to haul four adults…
I think we as a society are at the inflection point once again.

The first inflection point was many decades ago when Pulsar was introduced in the market. The cheap 150 to 220 cc bikes were very powerful and the young population just didnt know how to deal with them. It was like a loaded gun in a kid’s hand.

So many accidents and young lives were lost and everywhere the Pulsars were involved. I was thinking is there a flaw in the bike itself? But it was not.

History is repeating itself, now with powerful cars in hands of people who are absolutely clueless what to do with them.
My boss bought a BMW X1 and wanted me to drive it with him. I just kept dragging it and now he has left. Actually, I am clueless what to do with that powerful car. I am happy with my 140 bhps. Call me old and unadventurous but thats the truth.

I recently commented on this very same thread about the aftermath of accidented high end cars. They are completely gone and unidentifiable. What’s happening?
The fault doesn't lie in the car but in the driver. Actually, the society is not ready for these cars and we have to learn a lot. These accidents are just doing that. They are sensitising the whole system. They are sensitising the police about what to do. They are sensitising the transport ministry. They are sensitising manufacturers and consumers of these vehicles.
Many amongst us would not test the top speed of these cars after hearing and seeing what is happening with them.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 19:37   #36549
Team-BHP Support

I fully admit that raw speed amplifies consequences in many situations. Shooting for YouTube likes further encourages this behaviour.

But at the heart of our traffic and accident woes are untrained, uncivilised and uncouth humans with a chalta hai attitude. (I’m not getting into our poor infra which is another contributor and a subject matter in itself).

Accidents on account of the latter (driver inadequacies) can be achieved at even 20 / 40 / 60 kmph.

Basically I’m alluding to:

- The rickshaw / jeep / car / two wheeler driving on the wrong side on NH 4 highway or any other highway.
- Merging a parked car into the road without looking.
- Crossing perpendicular across single lane highways recklessly without checking and keeping margin for fast vehicles on the highway.
- Crawling in fast lanes.
- Sudden (multiple) lane changes without checking.

The list can carry on endlessly.

Look back on this very thread and you’ll see numerous innocent victims of non high speed reckless behaviour similar to above and more. I recall one particularly distressing one where a father and son came under a bus because a scooter came right at them against the traffic. Sadly, a young life was lost in his father’s arm. Didn’t need any meaningful speed. Just one murderous twit who’s legally licensed to drive.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th October 2022 at 08:53.
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 20:49   #36550
BHPian

Yet another completely avoidable bang!

Nalin1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 21:00   #36551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

https://Youtu.be/T6LHPeZ0CQE
The biker was an idiot for not strapping his helmet. However, he was in his lane, the car was merging into a main road and should have given way. Saying that, the rider could have been more considerate and moved towards the right to allow the car to merge smoothly.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 21:09   #36552
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Both at fault IMO. The biker is clearly changing several lanes in a very short distance and coming right across a side lane right at its exit point.

The car driver too has an onus to look carefully at what’s happening with the road he’s merging into.

Both are entitled drivers demonstrating little common sense or even basic defensive driving techniques. A good illustration (to my point a couple of posts above) of how even slow speeds can cause accidents because of basic ignorance and lack of traffic / road sense. Of course, I admit, if you add speed into exactly the same mix, the consequences would certainly have been far worse.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th October 2022 at 10:18.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 21:15   #36553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The biker was an idiot for not strapping his helmet. However, he was in his lane, the car was merging into a main road and should have given way. Saying that, the rider could have been more considerate and moved towards the right to allow the car to merge smoothly.
I will say Car driver is more at fault. In the video we can clearly see biker coming but car driver didn't even made any effort to slow down or apply any brakes even when he was just next to him. Seemed car driver wasn't fully attentive at the time of impact.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 21:22   #36554
BHPian

The bike might have been in the blind spot created by A pillar. We are seeing from the dash cam which is at the centre of the wind shield
aadya is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 21:47   #36555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
The bike might have been in the blind spot created by A pillar. We are seeing from the dash cam which is at the centre of the wind shield
No doubt that the driver's view was different from what we see. But he got ample time later to catch the bike and he just needed to slow down a bit or blast the horn to ensure the biker at least slightly 'adjusts' his position.

Biker being the more vulnerable party has to be more careful. Even if it is 100% the car's fault, biker is the one flat on the road!.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks