Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 19:52   #26686
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The stories this thread carries, is a rich diversified list of all possible mistakes people do when on the road, and still there are new ones getting added every day. That in itself is staggering. Most perpetrators of accidents could have totally avoided the same, with one simple rule : "if I can't see, there must be something there, let me wait to see that its indeed an empty space, and then make my move"
Old 13th July 2018, 01:19   #26687
Senior - BHPian

Depressing events reported in an Australian news website about this accident in Rajasthan
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...befc422fd70bd6
Clicking selfies while victims are dead or dying is shocking. Three of the victims died, 2 of them later.
Old 15th July 2018, 09:22   #26688
BHPian

Not sure where to post it, MODs, please move it to relevant place if not appropriate for this thread. If needed, a new topic can be created, because its very important subject to debate.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64992956.cms

Name:  screenshottimesofindia.indiatimes.com2018.07.15091839.png
Views: 6808
Size:  355.7 KB
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 09:43   #26689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Not sure where to post it, MODs, please move it to relevant place if not appropriate for this thread. If needed, a new topic can be created, because its very important subject to debate.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/64992956.cms

Attachment 1781473
We all pay road taxes. Considering this is there an obligation on the part of the authorities to provide safe driving conditions? Can they be sued for not doing it? My gut says it is there, but the maze of laws and complex judiciary makes it a dead end. Is it?
Sanjunair5 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 19:36   #26690
Senior - BHPian

Indian Highways Not Safe Anymore

I lost my School buddy in a tragic accident.

My friend Kushal Deshpande (30) with his wife and son along with his friend Prashant Patil (28) (he was driving) and his wife had went on a trip to Visakhapatnam in Honda City.

While returning they were followed by local goons in MODIFIED mahindra commander jeep with malicious intentions.

My friend realized that they are being followed & they started speeding.
The jeep also stated to chase (this lasted for 30~40kms) with speeds exceeding 120+kms after couple of attempts to stop the car they rammed from behind turning the car 360 degrees n crashed on to a tree.

Both my friend & his friend died on the spot, while their spouses suffered minor injuries.

The jeep also lost control & went off the road. The goons fled from the spot.

This is a regular thing & police were on lookout for the goons.
They rob couples/ families on the highways. They spot the victims in hotels / Petrol pumps. They follow them on the road in their SPECIALLY MODIFIED JEEP for speeding.

Please be careful & stay safe.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180710-01.53.58.jpeg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180710-01.53.58.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180708-19.30.24.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180708-19.30.23.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180708-19.30.22.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180709-09.43.22-small.jpegAccidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180709-14.05.08-small.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2018 at 09:35. Reason: Blanking out image of dead person
jeepster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 20:55   #26691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I am shocked to hear of such a thing! Almost to the point of being speechless.

This is almost unprecedented - a 30-40km chase at such high speeds, and still no place for them to have taken shelter anywhere along that stretch in a country where it is increasingly hard to avoid crowds!

At what time of the day did this incident occur?

Also, the news in the white-background images of your post appears to be translated by a bot - gives quite a garbled picture of the events.

Words are empty and useless, but for what it is worth, my condolences to you sir.

Last edited by Mu009 : 15th July 2018 at 20:58. Reason: Correction(s)
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 23:36   #26692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
still no place for them to have taken shelter anywhere along that stretch in a country where it is increasingly hard to avoid crowds!

At what time of the day did this incident occur?

Also, the news in the white-background images of your post appears to be translated by a bot - gives quite a garbled picture of the events.
Nearby village was just 4 kms away. :(

They panicked & diverted from highway to a smaller road, that's where they crashed. (they were at a unknown place 1000kms from home)

Accident happened around 6:30~7 pm.

Images are whatsapp forward. (dont have link of original news)
Old 16th July 2018, 00:04   #26693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Indian Highways Not Safe Anymore

Few years ago, there was a similar highway robbery near Kurnool in this thread. The man was robbed, killed, burnt. His only fault was that he felt sleepy while doing the hyderabad-bangalore drive and pulled over to the side and took a quick nap. The thugs got him open his car door, looted him,killed him and burnt him.

I keep doing highway trips and had had a scary experience in october 2016 on the highway although the drunken men had to run away since the passing vehicles started stopping by to enquire what was happening.

The lessons that I have learnt:
1) Do not do night driving (beyond 10 pm) in your private vehicles especially if you are not from that state. Highways or village roads, just dont drive in unknown territories in the night.
2) Do not get into any scuffle with the locals. Dont fall into their trap and get provoked. Apologize and move on even if you are not at fault.
3) Dont have much expectations from police. No one can save you in such cases. Only you can save yourselves if you take precautions.

Be safe.
n_naik is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 10:33   #26694
BHPian

Just passed a major accident on the Bangalore airport road near Yelahanka Air Force base. A new Verna went completely under a green BMTC bus. Not sure about survivors. Didn't take any pics.
Old 16th July 2018, 10:44   #26695
BHPian

Another accident on old Mumbai-Pune highway (NH4) near Karla. 7 people killed.

Quote:
One of the cars, a Maruti Swift, which was heading
towards Mumbai, lost control and jumped over the road divider
before colliding head-on with the other car, a Santro, which was
on its way to Pune
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65002573.cms

Last edited by shajoshi : 16th July 2018 at 10:46.
Old 16th July 2018, 11:46   #26696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
May the deceased RIP.

A nightmare that I always have when driving on high speed roads especially when I can't see vehicles clearly on the other side of the divider due to shrubs or advertisement boards or the like.

On such roads, I try to drive as far as possible on the middle lane in the hope that I will get that precious split second more if I encounter a vehicle hurtling towards me from the other side of the road. The extreme left lane also has the hazard of someone or some animal running across you in a hurry. The middle lane seems to be a safer bet.

In any case you should be driving somewhere in the middle lane.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 13:57   #26697
Senior - BHPian

Just past Trichy on the GST Road (NH45) yesterday - there are chicane barriers before major intersections on the highway, and a biker had crashed headfirst into one such barrier. Died on the spot - when we reached his corpse was being loaded into an ambulance.
Old 16th July 2018, 14:07   #26698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
Few years ago, there was a similar highway robbery....
1) Do not do night driving (beyond 10 pm) in your private vehicles especially if you are not from that state. Highways or village roads, just dont drive in unknown territories in the night.
2) Do not get into any scuffle with the locals. Dont fall into their trap and get provoked. Apologize and move on even if you are not at fault.
3) Dont have much expectations from police. No one can save you in such cases. Only you can save yourselves if you take precautions.

Be safe.
Allow me to add one more point, based on a failed robbery attempt faced by my uncle on a dark, secluded highway between Sivagangai and Madurai few years ago.

4) After dark, if accosted by one or more men on secluded highways, whether on foot or on other vehicles, accusing you of hitting people/livestock, do not roll down your window or slow down out of a sense of goodness or induced guilt - more so if you not recollect hitting anything. Speed away to the nearest police station and tell the police you were unsure if those were genuinely affected people or if they were highway robbers.

My uncle did just that (i.e., went straight to the police), because he had his daughters (aged 8 and 10) and his wife with him and he didn't want them to be at the mercy of 4 men on 2 motorcycles, in the middle of nowhere. The police told him they'd just escaped the clutches of a deadly highway gang who had kept robbing and wounding victims.

Last edited by locusjag : 16th July 2018 at 14:08.
locusjag is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 14:45   #26699
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
5. If you intend to take a power nap, do it by parking the vehicle adjacent to a toll booth (well lit at the night + vehicles are usually parked for refreshments/breaks) or even at a fuel pump (entry/exit way).

These are a lot more safer than parking the car besides an empty stretch of road and napping.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2018 at 14:50.
Gannu_1 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 15:17   #26700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
Another accident on old Mumbai-Pune highway (NH4) near Karla. 7 people killed.

Unfortunately, this is not the first time when young men (below 25 years) have lost lives -and taken others lives in the process- on their way to Lonavala/ Khandala which is a tourist spot. There is at-least one news every year relating to such youngsters. The old Pune_mumbai highway sees less traffic due to faster express-way and many people continue to overspeed on this stretch which hardly has any barriers to stop vehicles jumping on the other side in case of accident, one of the reasons why I completely avoid this road.

The Swift was gifted by the 22 year old man's dad last year and he was at the wheel when he lost control (aquaplaning ?) I really dont understand the rationale behind parents 'gifting' such things to their kids without really knowing if they are ready for it. Off topic: A college going kid from our society lost his life when his dad let him use the car for his birthday party few years back. Rammed his Dad's Esteem onto a tree.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks