Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2022, 12:35   #36361
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hyderabad: In a tragic incident, a woman travelling by two-wheeler was fatally hit by a lorry near the Vivekananda statue on Medchal main road.

While crossing the main road at the divider, a lorry hit her. She fell under the truck’s wheels and died on the spot. City police released CCTV footage of the accident to showcase the dangerous nature of shortcuts on a main road.

While the penalty for the fault was extreme (death in this case), the fault was with her it seems. She seems to have either not noticed the truck or hoped that the truck will slowdown for her to cross the road like that.
sunilch is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 12:54   #36362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Hyderabad: In a tragic incident, a woman travelling by two-wheeler was fatally hit by a lorry near the Vivekananda statue on Medchal main road.
My mind kept screaming at the video telling her to stop at the intersection or slow down and look or heck at least merge onto the closest lane!

Like with many things, we take too much for granted.
deathwalkr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 13:38   #36363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
My mind kept screaming at the video telling her to stop at the intersection or slow down and look or heck at least merge onto the closest lane!

Like with many things, we take too much for granted.
could this be a case of riding with earphones/earbuds playing music? Looks like the rider never saw or even heard the lorry? Surely the lorry driver would have blared the horn but she seems to have been totally oblivious to that till the impact. The lorry driver did his level best to avoid the impact but alas!!
sandsun7 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 13:42   #36364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
could this be a case of riding with earphones/earbuds playing music? Looks like the rider never saw or even heard the lorry? Surely the lorry driver would have blared the horn but she seems to have been totally oblivious to that till the impact. The lorry driver did his level best to avoid the impact but alas!!
Who knows? Even as engrossing as music can be, it is no excuse for not following basic driving manners :( Bad licensing system? Who knows, ultimately the rider will be just another statistic.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 14:13   #36365
BHPian

Ear phones on, did not see the truck, saw the truck but assumed he will slow down etc etc etc.

Bottomline- PATHETIC riding and HORRIBLE road sense.
Nalin1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 15:45   #36366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
at least merge onto the closest lane!
This needs to be said a million times. Merge or turn on to the closest lane. It's that simple.

Many Indian drivers seem to have a switch that goes off in their brain that tells them that they should always do any turn (left, right or U) in whatever way they feel would enable them to get to their destination faster, not in the way it causes least inconvenience for others or least risky for themselves. There is no patience to just turn in to the nearest open lane and then USE INDICATORS to move to the lane they want! Even there, I have lost count of the number of times I have seen the driver switch on their indicator AFTER I jammed on my horn for like 3 seconds.

Turning right by moving in to the oncoming traffic's lane first, turning left but turning so that they will get to the fast lane immediately, doing a U turn but trying to get to a lane which is farthest from their turning point - each one is as dangerous as they can get. What is worse is that they expect traffic that is coming at high speed to slow down to a crawl or even stop for them.
asmr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 11:06   #36367
BHPian

So many mistakes done by the lady rider - of course her death is a sad result of all those.

You are crossing a highway and you see trucks and other vehicles crossing at highway speeds. Yet you join the highway and blindly move across the lanes.

She should have ideally stopped at the intersection even if the road was empty and the proceeded. Attempt to save a few seconds resulted in a tragic accident.

The truck did not stop after the accident and it proceeded along its way. The driver must have seen what has happened behind and afraid for his life must have decided to move on. I wonder if he surrendered at some police station. But that again is a sad commentary on todays situation. The truck would have been either set on fire and the driver beaten.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 11:21   #36368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Many Indian drivers seem to have a switch that goes off in their brain that tells them that they should always do any turn (left, right or U) in whatever way they feel would enable them to get to their destination faster, not in the way it causes least inconvenience for others or least risky for themselves. There is no patience to just turn in to the nearest open lane and then USE INDICATORS to move to the lane they want! Even there, I have lost count of the number of times I have seen the driver switch on their indicator AFTER I jammed on my horn for like 3 seconds.
Many Indians don't have any theoretical understanding of traffic rules, safe driving, road signs, lane markings etc & they don't even want to learn any of these. One should ideally expect that such people must NOT be driving on public roads all by themselves. But, I have seen multiple folks among my friends & relatives who can't even move the car by an inch having driving licence. I just cannot imagine the scale of this mess when we are talking about the whole country
Silent Buddha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 16:39   #36369
BHPian

Basic driving / riding concepts like proper merging is an alien concept here. Road users here haven't even heard about yielding to traffic. Alas, I am not saying anything new here.

My philosophy is - Driving / riding is a responsibility, both towards self and other road users, and I do my best to fulfil it. Despite that if fate has something else in store, then nothing much can be done.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 1st October 2022 at 16:41.
rajivr1612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 19:24   #36370
Distinguished - BHPian

In India it’s so easy for a hit and run driver to go underground that Mumbai Police has no idea where did he vanish!!

23 year-old driving a modified BMW 3-series mows down a scooter-ist on WEH and simply vanishes. Police have no clue on the car’s number plate blaming the CCTV being dirty due to rain.

The garage’s owner, at which the car came for repairs on its left fender, went to the Police Station to report the car being similar to what was posted in Mid-Day’s article. Yet the Police didn’t do anything.

It’s been a month since the accident and the suspect hasn’t been caught. Finally the Investigation Officer has been changed and the case is being actually investigated.

Now the suspect is supposedly on the run to Dubai.

Such a sad state of affairs in our country…

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-6075b1c4dcf84b8ca9a631eb4505ac37.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-44d16b930e934113adcc98b7f4a0a036.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-d383864eeaef4a47b5d52d2860c68355.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-81d98ec620414102b5d38b491652f348.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-7e4cfd75897d4d56baabf6bd73b5f215.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-f75aeecb13ad4e9a88d44b0b1ae92bca.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2ac882990de1434aa7173530fe7c187b.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-a31d2ee0fa874067bacfbd1fabbb7b80.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1e3986688982426baad79d940ccb4aa5.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-f43fe8a5e8db4b1f90bb6c5befb3629c.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3bef626a25b54ac59b9942672250bf74.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci9jhGsK...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
CEF_Beasts is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 19:28   #36371
Senior - BHPian

Hazards of gaps in median, during a night drive along Bangalore Tirupati highway near Chittor. The gap in the median signage does not get properly illuminated by your headlights and is prone to be missed.
Name:  L_20220930202223_13_AdobeExpress 4 1.gif
Views: 866
Size:  1.65 MB

If there was a signage which SCREAMED thus we motorists would more than slow down and prepare ourselves
GeeTee TSI is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st October 2022, 23:25   #36372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Hazards of gaps in median, during a night drive along Bangalore Tirupati highway near Chittor. The gap in the median signage does not get properly illuminated by your headlights and is prone to be missed.

If there was a signage which SCREAMED thus we motorists would more than slow down and prepare ourselves
One of the main reasons, I have started avoiding late night drives..

I would suggest to file complaint to relevant authorities, and I have seen them responding. While Government and semi-government orgs are lazy to act on issues by themselves, they are supper alert to respond to formal complaints.

For example, in last one month I filed multiple formal complaints to BBMP, related to various issues like big path holes near townhall, Mysore Road and Audu godi road, lights partially not working in the park near my house, and one of the streetlights in my neighborhood. All of them has been addressed except the last one, which I filed yesterday.

So in addition to sharing the issues in team-bhp, please take some time and file the complaints to related authorities, and I am sure they will get back with some answer.

Last edited by manjubp : 1st October 2022 at 23:26.
manjubp is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 06:44   #36373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
23 year-old driving a modified BMW 3-series mows down a scooter-ist on WEH and simply vanishes. Police have no clue on the car’s number plate blaming the CCTV being dirty due to rain.
I felt so sad reading about this and it reminded me of an incident where my mother lost her phone and when we deduced that she could not have left it at home and must've left it in the auto she took to go out that day, we went to the local police station the next day around 11 in the morning, informed them and they immediately took us to a room with multiple screens and asked my mother what route she had taken the previous day in the auto, they started scanning all footage from that route and finally by 4:30 tracked the auto down and by 5pm the same day, returned my mother's phone back to her.

In this day and age of so much cctv coverage, it really boils my blood to read about "driver" being held responsible for driving a Ferrari into a watchman (megha engineering incident) and blurry lens of one camera being blamed for not being able to deduce the details of that BMW
IshaanIan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 07:55   #36374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
No offense but I think only an idiot would not be able to see multiple brake lights ahead of him and vehicles coming to a halt.
Happened to me in the middle of the day in bright sunlight in March. Luckily as usual I had left a decent gap to the vehicle in front of me, so I didn't end up crashing into it while I was getting rear ended.

Damages Boot, Rear Bumper, Panel behind the Bumper had to be replaced. It was the last year of my zero dep insurance so had to pay only Rs. 1000 for a 44800+ invoice but lost my NCB.

Further damages 6 months later, resale value of the vehicle dropped due to the panel replacement.
Bailey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:48   #36375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
In this day and age of so much cctv coverage, it really boils my blood to read about "driver" being held responsible for driving a Ferrari into a watchman (megha engineering incident) and blurry lens of one camera being blamed for not being able to deduce the details of that BMW
The incident of Megha engineering Ferrari was very bad, a poor family came from village to city for livelihood and the head of the family (father) was mowed down by some rash driver belonging to a prestigious group.

Unfortunately, Hyderabad / Cyberabad police who are always proactive in posting safety tips and accident videos from cctv footage on their Youtube channel and Facebook page couldn't decipher who was driving the Ferrari despite the car crossing multiple signals where there are high quality cctv cameras.

The BMW incident above in Mumbai and the cops like investigating officer Vinod Chimada who is mentioned in the article will bring disgrace to law and order, especially the police system. Even a small kid can differentiate between a BMW and a Skoda. If he cannot make out the difference between a BMW and Skoda, I really doubt what actual investigation this investigating officer would do. Not just that, despite the garage owner giving the details of the car and owner, this officer in reverse yelled at the garage owner, but did not arrest the culprit. Looks like something is common in Hyderabad Megha Engineering Ferrari accident and this Mumbai BMW accident.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 2nd October 2022 at 12:51.
WhiteSierra is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks