Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 09:26   #9526
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Hey.. Anyone have any more info on Porsche Accident on India gate periphiral Road..
Old 17th October 2011, 22:47   #9527
BHPian

On 14th night, a VRL Volvo travelling from Mangalore to Mumbai met up with an accident near Ankola, resulting in a loss of 4 lives :( Apparently not reported widely.

Mangalore-Mumbai Bus Meets with Accident at Ankola - Four Dead

Mangalore-Mumbai Bus Tragedy: Couple Grief-stricken by Loss of Both Kids
Old 18th October 2011, 11:35   #9528
Senior - BHPian

One more accident and few more lives lost ! SEAT BELTS IF AVAILABLE AND IF WORN COULD HAVE SAVED LIVES HERE !! But who cares ,after all life is so cheap here in this country .
Old 18th October 2011, 11:46   #9529
BHPian

just read this a few mins back.From DTP fb page:the traffic is slow on NH8,as some car caught fire on the expressway,anyone any idea about this?
Old 18th October 2011, 15:33   #9530
Senior - BHPian

Saw an Indigo Taxi badly damaged near the Nike factory outlet (some cinema road) junction on old airport road near Marathalli. Front bumper was destroyed (a piece of it was lying near the car), and both front wheels were missing. It was pretty early this morning. Don't know if it is still there. That place has a half speed breaker that is used as a slalom by cabbies because the divider breaks for the T-junction (or "dead-end" as the locals call it ). It could have been a head-on, but I didn't see any other damaged vehicles there.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:14   #9531
Senior - BHPian

Had an accident last Saturday, was going to Pondicherry via the ECR route. This incident happened around 8:30 PM, the road was straight and there was no vehicle in front of us towards Pondy.

I was doing a sedate 80Kmph in my Chevy Spark, I saw an Indica coming in the opposite lane and suddenly he swerved to his right to save a goat. At that moment all I could see was two headlamps coming straight towards me, in order to avoid a head-on collision I steered towards left. The Indica guy seeing me, swerved again to get back to his lane. But this time he over-steered and his rear stepped out. His right rear hit my right fender and both front and the back doors. At the point of impact the Indica had turned almost 90 degrees with half of the car in my lane.

To my horror the Indica went straight in to a ditch only to be stopped by a tree. All of us got down from the car immediately and called 108 for ambulance. By that time a considerable amount of people gathered for rescue operation.

The driver had injury to his face and the lady passenger fractured her leg. Went directly to the nearest Police Station to inform about the incident. They came to the spot took necessary information and asked us to take the car to the Police station. The car was not driveable at that moment as it had a puncture because of the bent rim, changed the tyre and headed back to the Police station.

We continued our journey in a government bus to Pondicherry. It was around 11 -11:30PM, myself and my friends were discussing how lucky we were, it could have been even worse if it was a head on collision. Most of the passengers were sleeping peacefully, and I was admiring the scenic the OMR had to offer under the moonlight. Suddenly my friend found something strange about the bus, it was going slower than usual and was moving towards right straight into oncoming traffic. Then I heard conductor tapping the dash board. Our bus driver was sleeping peacefully, he woke up suddenly and started starring at the conductor as if he disturbed his nice nap behind the wheel. This must have repeated at least 5-6 times in the next 45 mins. One time both of them were sleeping and it was my friend who woke them up by banging the seat.

All in all one horrendous night.

Got an estimate from the dealer around 30,000 - 35,000 Rs. I will be shelling out 7,500 to 10,000 Rs and the remaining amount by the insurance company.

Few points.

1. The Indica driver has tried to execute an emergency lane change maneuver and failed miserably. Am I capable to execute such a maneuver at considerable speed, seriously I have no idea. I don't know how many of us have the necessary skill to execute such a maneuver.

2. ESP(Electronic Stability Program) will save us in these situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1412.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1415.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1417.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1418.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1419.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image1421.jpg  

Last edited by ecenandu : 18th October 2011 at 17:39.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:53   #9532
Senior - BHPian

The indica has sustained a high decelerative impact at the front end and hence the injuries to the occupants. You were lucky to have escaped with slight (relative) damage. As for the bus driver, wonder how many deaths occur every year due to this - sleeping at the wheel?
Old 18th October 2011, 19:06   #9533
BHPian

Ecenandu,
Glad that you are all safe. ECR is one of the finest roads in India to drive. I wonder why it doesn't have dividers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I don't know how many of us have the necessary skill to execute such a maneuver.
Not many. That's where 'ANTICIPATION' helps. Always expect something bad to happen when you are driving.
Old 18th October 2011, 19:25   #9534
Senior - BHPian

I am shocked by the sheer number of people riding bikes without wearing helmet in Hyderabad.
In fact for every 10 person without helmet there is only one guy wearing one.

What happened to the traffic rule stipulating that helmets are mandatory?
Old 18th October 2011, 19:48   #9535
Senior - BHPian

If the driver was injured, by looking at the pics, i ASSUME that the driver was not wearing seat belts. Seat belts would have done a world of good.

@ecenandu - Glad that you and your folks are safe.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:37   #9536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I am shocked by the sheer number of people riding bikes without wearing helmet in Hyderabad.
In fact for every 10 person without helmet there is only one guy wearing one.

What happened to the traffic rule stipulating that helmets are mandatory?
From what I have read, there is no rule in Hyderabad that wearing a helmet is compulsory. The police have tried to implement it many times but they faced stiff resistance from the bigwigs and the politicians. I guess a similar thing happened in Pune too many years back.
Old 18th October 2011, 23:50   #9537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
From what I have read, there is no rule in Hyderabad that wearing a helmet is compulsory. The police have tried to implement it many times but they faced stiff resistance from the bigwigs and the politicians. I guess a similar thing happened in Pune too many years back.
People must be more inclined towards wearing the helmet for thier safety. Forget Police or traffic rules.

If there is an accident, the life is lost or there are some serious irreversible damages to self. Police is not affected if someone dies. People should understand the care to the people that Police is taking to ensure the compulsion of helmet.

Whoever resists must be given a fast bike to ride on an open wet road without helmet and make some chickens / goats / pigs / buffalo cross the road. He would slam his brakes and if he is able to ride a bike after that incident, he will 200% wear a helmet.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 09:16   #9538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Got an estimate from the dealer around 30,000 - 35,000 Rs. I will be shelling out 7,500 to 10,000 Rs and the remaining amount by the insurance company.

Few points.

1. The Indica driver has tried to execute an emergency lane change maneuver and failed miserably. Am I capable to execute such a maneuver at considerable speed, seriously I have no idea. I don't know how many of us have the necessary skill to execute such a maneuver.

2. ESP(Electronic Stability Program) will save us in these situation.
@ecenandu,

You had a real close shave and I am surprised/happy that you managed to continue with your plans even after this . It definitely helped that you were doing a 80 and not 100. ECR is too congested now. Besides what I have observed is that any road with a good surface and without a median is a recipe for head on collisions and results in heavy casualties.

I think there is no scope for relaxed cruising on our roads. Always be prepared for the unexpected.
Old 19th October 2011, 09:59   #9539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Glad that you are all safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
@ecenandu - Glad that you and your folks are safe.
Thanks for the concern guys.
Old 19th October 2011, 17:56   #9540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
People must be more inclined towards wearing the helmet for thier safety. Forget Police or traffic rules.

Whoever resists must be given a fast bike to ride on an open wet road without helmet and make some chickens / goats / pigs / buffalo cross the road. He would slam his brakes and if he is able to ride a bike after that incident, he will 200% wear a helmet.
^^^ Good one! This is one thing I have failed to understand - People wear safety gear just to satisfy the hands of the law and not from safety perspective. I have seen riders wearing helmet which is a shame to the contraption called "Helmet".

I see number of people (especially women with kids in tow) riding without a helmet and when caught by the cops resort to the usual feminine behavior - saar saar pleees plees - i just came to pick kids - let go of me this time - next time I praaaamis I will wear helmet.

Imagine if the lady has a fall (god forbidden)

Not to mention the guys - who sit on half buttocks on the seat, the other half projecting out of the seat frame (a la auto drivers) and zig zag through the traffic. Imaging this guy has a fall - he won't be able to use that part of his body and many more parts for anything at all. <sad>
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks