Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 18:16   #13831
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

11 people in a swift is double the permitted capacity. Such overload will surely increase the momentum of the vehicle resulting in [experts please correct if I am wrong] -
(1) More distance required for braking 100-0
(2) Any impact, specially head-on, will be more devastating compared to same vehicle with less momentum
Old 21st August 2013, 18:26   #13832

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
11 people in a swift is double the permitted capacity. Such overload will surely increase the momentum of the vehicle resulting in [experts please correct if I am wrong] -
(1) More distance required for braking 100-0
(2) Any impact, specially head-on, will be more devastating compared to same vehicle with less momentum
11 people in a swift that itself is not acceptable . The car must have been in high speed and with accelerator being accidentally pressed the momentum must have increased.
Old 21st August 2013, 18:39   #13833
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 11 people in a swift !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Probably the car driver himself was fighting for shoulder and elbow space, with 3 children and 7 grown-ups trying to push him to his right. Quite a likely scenario when kids are made to stand between the two front seats, just behind the gear lever.
With 11 people in the car, the driver is likely to have had a kid sit on his lap too. Maybe the kid jumped on the accelerator pedal? Of course with so many people in his car and space being such a premium, he may very likely have even stacked a few bags under his seat which might have rolled out and hit the accelerator pedal.

Pressing the accelerator instead of the brake is very unlikely for an experienced driver. If he was carrying 11 people in his car and driving on the highway, I can imagine him to be overconfident rather than inexperienced.

Just crazy to carry so many people in one car. They were endangering the lives of other road users too. The rear of that bus was much better than an innocent motorist coming from the opposite direction.
Old 21st August 2013, 19:16   #13834
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you really accommodate 8 adults and 3 kids in a swift?
Old 21st August 2013, 20:33   #13835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If you put your mind to it, I think anything is possible. I've seen worse.
I agree that these people were asking for it.
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 23:45   #13836
BHPian

Quote:
ditto, same question here. It was a tight fit with just 5 on-board in my swift.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:55   #13837
BHPian

Re: 11 people in a swift !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
It indeed was a swift. And even the local tv channels reported that there were 11 people in the car. You can clearly see how the car went under the bus.
Attachment 1127586

The rear of the bus. The bus suffered minimal damage.

Attachment 1127585
Is that a zebra crossing at the left side of the pic? If so, It is totally the swift guys fault that to drive at speed higher than that is allowed in town area.
Also, looks like it zdi model with the alloy so driver would have thought ABS/Airbag will save him.
Plain stupidity to carry 11 souls in a hatch and that too at high speed.

May all souls RIP.

Last edited by Reisender : 22nd August 2013 at 10:57.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:01   #13838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
The combination of bad roads, rain and over speeding seems to have caused this. Surprisingly the shell looks completely intact with not even a dent! Was wondering if GJ 6 TC is a temporary Registration series being given at Baroda ?
Yes that is indeed the temporary registration of the Toyota Baroda dealership.
Combination of rain , over speeding , but not bad roads ( roads in Gujarat are very good) did in the T Fort. People in general think that SUVs are built like tanks and can be driven like tanks all over the place , unfortunately never realizing that they are not vehicles meant to be driven at insane speeds.
sanjz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:03   #13839
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC.BURNS View Post
ditto, same question here. It was a tight fit with just 5 on-board in my swift.
I am sure it was a tight fit as you considered only the seats for seating. With 11 people on board, you don't think of sitting- just accommodating. Seating can be arranged on laps, and a few can stand in the footwell area and of course some can be seated in the boot too.
On an another thread, we can see a lot of pictures on cars with 'booted' passengers! That is downright risky.

Regards,
Saket
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:06   #13840
BHPian

Whatever be the case, the bigger vehicle is the culprit, even if the driver of the smaller vehicle is totally drunk.
sharoncr_17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 10:37   #13841
BHPian

Yamuna Expressway

Yamuna E-way once again in the newspapers. Santro & Wagon R involved in two separate accidents. 3 of a family die, 2 others injured when their Santro turned turtle at high speed. 2 employees of JP group said to be expressway operators were run over by a Wagon R near Jewar toll plaza killing one and injuring the other.

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/22015571.cms

Yamuna E-way Death/Injury toll:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-pc0051000.jpg
Old 25th August 2013, 11:20   #13842
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Yamuna Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Yamuna E-way once again in the newspapers. Santro & Wagon R involved in two separate accidents. 3 of a family die, 2 others injured when their Santro turned turtle at high speed. 2 employees of JP group said to be expressway operators were run over by a Wagon R near Jewar toll plaza killing one and injuring the other.
Makes me wonder sometimes if we deserve only 2 lane highways without a median separator, dotted with cattle, tractors, other slow moving vehicles, zillion potholes and speed breakers......
We are not fit for driving on world class roads since we all lack the driving etiquette. 90% of these accidents must have been because of overspeeding.
Old 25th August 2013, 11:36   #13843
BHPian

Quote:
Makes me wonder sometimes if we deserve only 2 lane highways without a median separator, dotted with cattle, tractors, other slow moving vehicles, zillion potholes and speed breakers......
We are not fit for driving on world class roads since we all lack the driving etiquette. 90% of these accidents must have been because of overspeeding.
The quality of roads have nothing to do with it . Its with the morons who drive on them. They think expressways are like autobahns were in you can just floor the accelerator but, fail to overlook the conditions of their tyres , have probably no clue when the vehicle was last serviced, also have no idea about the condition of their vehicle in general and suspension in particular. Besides most of these people driving on the express way in their Wagon R's and Santros or any other cars running OE or Old tyres, have no idea about how their puny tyres are not meant for such high speed driving , and are also not rated to handle the resultant high temperatures.Over / under inflation is also one grossly overlooked fact leading to accidents majorly. Blaming the world class infrastructure to camouflage stupidity is not justified. !

Last edited by sanjz : 25th August 2013 at 11:40.
sanjz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 12:01   #13844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
Blaming the world class infrastructure to camouflage stupidity is not justified. !
Precisely thats what I meant too. But since we just refuse to learn about the importance of keeping our cars well serviced and in perfect running condition including stuff like tyre pressure, we are left with no choice. And hence may be we just don't deserve these world class roads.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:17   #13845
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Precisely thats what I meant too. But since we just refuse to learn about the importance of keeping our cars well serviced and in perfect running condition including stuff like tyre pressure, we are left with no choice. And hence may be we just don't deserve these world class roads.
drmohitg I, in no way wished to deny your contention , was just adding my bit to it and elaborated upon your thoughts a bit more. Ignorance and callousness are two of the major contributors to accidents on the expressways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks