Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 21:27   #10456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman

Let me ask you guys two questions:
a. Have you ever driven with other friends who have alcohol in their system, or worse, have alcohol with them in your car? Did that make you lose control over your car?
b. My question is NOT about the legality - but about whether the ganja in the bloodstream of the driver and whether that contributed to the driving error.

I am not denying the possibility that what you all are insinuating may be true. I honestly believe people should be innocent until proven guilty and these posts are contrary to that perception.

Here is a point for the purpose of hyperbole. It may be quite likely that driving straight into a stationary truck at 60 kph will cause serious damage. Am unable to find tyre marks in any report that indicate that they tried to avoid the truck. Maybe the overspeeding was not THAT much? It seems like a night ride - could just simply be caused by sleep as a cause?

Therefore saying that "Drugs & overspeeding is a certain invite to death" should be held off till the FULL details are available.
Innocent till proven guilty; but students who were found to keep narcotic in their car are more likely than not to have used it. And habits like these usually go in a group, owing to peer pressure.
So the posts above aren't totally unjustifiable, in my opinion.

Last edited by one-77 : 26th February 2012 at 21:31.
Old 26th February 2012, 22:26   #10457
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Argghhhh.

Was there ganja in the driver's bloodstream? Please get your facts right before slandering the dead before even the police is not sure yet.

R Kumaraswamy, additional SP Bangalore district, told Deccan Herald: “We are not sure if the youths had consumed the seized material. We are awaiting the chemical analysis and post mortem reports from the forensic sciences laboratory.”

Did you read the link before you posted it? or just the title was enough.
Well, if you are done with LOLing,, look at the facts. No sane person would keep or transport a banned substance in his car.

If they were not consuming it as you say, then they were transporting a banned substance in the middle of the night, which makes it even worse ! ( like drug dealers or couriers ? ) . Thats assuming you do not think they mistook ganja for Tulsi leaves & thought they were carrying tulsi leaves for their daily Puja.

Btw, your analogy with friends having alcohol in your car is a non starter. You do not get high by your friends drinking in your car ( there is nothing called passive drinking ) But passive smoking is a different issue altogether , for tobacco & for narcotic substances.
w 12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 22:49   #10458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
With due respect to the dead, ganja is not an item one should keep in your car under normal circumstances? Is there any other purpose for ganja other than for getting a high as per you?
I have heard about instances where things like these, i.e., putting ganja into the crashed vehicle being done to dilute the case for the accused. Teenagers in the car late at night not neccessarily mean drugs and alcohol. Also that packet of ganja could have been a come from the truck driver who, in my opinion, is more likely to have it in the vehicle.

Last edited by 999 : 26th February 2012 at 22:51.
999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 00:15   #10459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar View Post
Came across this on FB, Will we have a lengthy discussion on this just like the discussion in lamborghini thread ?
This was posted here earlier and there were many comments posted but fact could be that the big tipper ran into a parked Scorpio.

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th February 2012 at 00:17.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:31   #10460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
herefore saying that "Drugs & overspeeding is a certain invite to death" should be held off till the FULL details are available.
As A generic statement it holds good. For the case above it needs further evidence if the drugs were really there. Still overspeeding is a certain invite to death. Getting permission from parents and having drivers license doesnt mean one can drive like nuts and escape death.

If they did have drugs and were abusing the same its sad but to agree that they chose their destiny. Shame that young lives are lost for lust for speed and drugs..

In this case we can contribute speed as a factor but we can wait to hear further investigation to get a picture of how drugs played a part.
Old 27th February 2012, 12:23   #10461
BHPian

Read this in the link below.

Two people were killed in a road accident here today morning. According to initial reports, a pregnant woman was one of the two dead. The accident occurred when two cars smashed into each other.

Pregnant woman, AIIMS official killed in Delhi car crash
Old 27th February 2012, 12:26   #10462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post

Two people were killed in a road accident here today morning. According to initial reports, a pregnant woman was one of the two dead. The accident occurred when two cars smashed into each other.

if the woman was pregnant, that's three dead people!

may their souls rest in peace.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:08   #10463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

In this case we can contribute speed as a factor but we can wait to hear further investigation to get a picture of how drugs played a part.
Guys, we all can now safely believe that there were surely one of the following 2 factors which caused the loss of young (not innocent) lives recently in Bangalore:

# - Negligent Truck Driver/Owner since hazard lights (as reported) were not working

# - Youth was unable to control/stop the car in time.

Now this has raised some serious doubts in my mind and I want some expert opinions on the same. Firstly, we have a thread which discussed on various opinions about the truck drivers/owners who do not ensure basic safety features on their vehicles.
Now, as reported, the car driven by these youths was either a Honda City or Civic. Now, as we all know, both have ABS & Airbags as a Standard feature.

Now my questions:

1. ABS helps in preventing a vehicle's wheel from Locking during Panic braking. Does this mean, the vehicle will continue to Roll without Locking its wheels before coming to a complete halt?
2. W.r.t above situation, almost all drivers probably will just Stomp hard on the brakes. Can ABS delay/fail under such real world situtations ?

I have never owned an ABS equipped car and surely have never faced a situation where I had brake in a jiffy on an ABS equipped ride. So, I don't have a clue what one Should do in Such situation.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 27th February 2012 at 13:13.
Old 27th February 2012, 13:22   #10464
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a whole thread about ABS, where what it can and cannot do is discussed at great length, and still misconceptions abound. You can probably find answers to your doubts already there. Happy to discuss it, but if we do so in this thread, the mods will jump on us
Old 27th February 2012, 13:37   #10465
Senior - BHPian

Broken down trucks are a reality on indian roads. Because of the poor repair facilities they may lie there for quite some time. The maximum thing driver can do is put blinkers on if they are working. The truck is quite a big thing on the road to go unnoticed. But some of factors can make this deadly like
Sudden lane changes at great speeds from behind a big vehicle, this may be necessitated by another vehicle cutting to your lane.
Driver falling asleep behind wheels.
Driver under infleunce.
Mistaking the stationary vehicle as a moving one.
Driver blinded by oncoming traffic.
Poor visibilty, fog etc.
These type of accidents with high number of casualities result mostly due to zero or very less braking effort involved. If braking is involved the crash can become less deadly as explained in a Micra head on collision thread.

Last edited by poloman : 27th February 2012 at 13:40.
Old 27th February 2012, 15:48   #10466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post

Almost certainly because she didn't bother to wear the seat belt since her driver survived.

If that is true - What a damned shame - completely irresponsible on her part! Life can be so unfortunate at times.
Old 27th February 2012, 15:58   #10467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Almost certainly because she didn't bother to wear the seat belt since her driver survived.

If that is true - What a damned shame - completely irresponsible on her part! Life can be so unfortunate at times.
Dunno if the being seven months pregnant had anything to do with it, unfortunately this went the wrong way.

Reading the report & seeing the condition of the Dzire, I wonder if the gentleman driving it had simply fallen asleep at the wheel for a few seconds.....sad, really sad. And I'm becoming increasingly wary of driving on NCR roads during late night/early mornings - you never know if your number is on the cards, no matter how careful you may be.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 15:59   #10468
BHPian

Quote:

By the looks of it (from images posted at the news site) wearing seatbelts may not have helped her much, since her car was rear-ended by the desire at mighty speed - almost all of the rear half of her City has crumpled badly.

And how many people sitting at the rear wear seatbelts, especially within the city?!
Old 27th February 2012, 17:56   #10469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Dunno if the being seven months pregnant had anything to do with it, unfortunately this went the wrong way.

Reading the report & seeing the condition of the Dzire, I wonder if the gentleman driving it had simply fallen asleep at the wheel for a few seconds.....sad, really sad. And I'm becoming increasingly wary of driving on NCR roads during late night/early mornings - you never know if your number is on the cards, no matter how careful you may be.
Of course, the risk would be higher at that phase of pregnancy. My doubt is whether a seatbelt could have prevented major injuries or not. but puneet's raised a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
By the looks of it (from images posted at the news site) wearing seatbelts may not have helped her much, since her car was rear-ended by the desire at mighty speed - almost all of the rear half of her City has crumpled badly.

And how many people sitting at the rear wear seatbelts, especially within the city?!
oh - i saw only articles with a very banged up dzire.

as for rear seat belts - depends. The nut that connects the accelerator to the steering in my car just does not move till all belts are securely fastened.

All said, I feel terrible for the poor lady and the unborn child as well as their family. Life can be so cruel. RIP.

PS: My comment meant no harm, but i've seen far too many women (including even in my family) who did NOT wear seatbelts during pregnancy, inspite of my violent protests
Old 28th February 2012, 09:38   #10470
Distinguished - BHPian

Minister drives a brand new bus and hits auto after inaugurating the services on a new route. He doesn't have a license to drive heavy vehicles nor experience in driving a heavy vehicle. As per TOI, he was let free because he agreed to compensate for the damaged auto and he drove because his supporters wanted him to inaugurate this service in style.

Minister drives bus, hits auto

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks